PDA

View Full Version : W7 Disk Diagnostic and SMART errors

trjp
26-10-2012, 03:30 PM
I've been fiddling around with the HDDs in my PC (trying to get them to be quieter, mainly) but in doing this I added another disk which has been lying around for eons.

When I got it all up-and-running, Windows decided to announce that the new HDD had errors and advised me to backup. There's nothing on it which isn't backed-up many times - but I ran a stack of diagnostics and looked at the SMART log and all that's in there which is 'worrying' are 11 "C7 UDMA CRC" errors - which were already there before I inserted it and related to an incident way-back-when that it was connected to another PC using a dodgy cable (broken inside one connector).

The number hasn't changed in the meantime (it's been used in a few PCs since) and it's not changed in 3 days in this PC - which suggests I was right to think it was the cable!?

Regardless, it seems W7 is going to tell me my HDD is going to die at about the same time every day (so far 3 messages at the same time each day!!)

So 2 questions really

1 - am I underreacting to this - there's nothing mission-critical on the disc (mostly games) and I'm 98% certain it's fine BUT those SMART errors are on there 'for life' now?

2 - should I kick the Windows Disk Diagnostic in the head or just put-up-with-it in-case it spots an error on a drive I DO want to ensure isn't going to fail!?

Sakkura
26-10-2012, 06:19 PM
The UDMA CRC errors are apparently about data integrity when transferred via the cable, so that could involve the cable or the connector as well. In your case, maybe the drive's SATA data connector was damaged by the dodgy cable?

In any case, it's not one of the attributes labelled as potential indicators of imminent mechanical failure in this chart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#Known_ATA_S.M.A.R.T._attributes).

So...

1. Don't think you're underreacting, but the errors may indeed be there "for life" if the connector has been damaged.

2. That's a tough question. If you could tell it to shut about this particular drive and keep reporting for the other drives, that would probably be best. If it's all or nothing I'd suggest trying to put up with it.

trjp
26-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Well it's been working away like mad all day and there's no sign of other issues - a full CHKDSK found nothing, extended HDD testing finds nothing wrong other than the 1 warning about CRC errors (which stays at 11).

It's a drive I got as a replacement for a dud and it's basically done VERY little work - it gets used temporarily across a range of PCs. - it spent 3 months in a safe with data on it etc. etc.

The CRC incident was just bad luck - the connector on the cable had broken inside and a bit of plastic was jammed in there which left the drive 'disconnecting' from time to time - hence the errors.

I think I'll just live with it for now - EVERYTHING on it is either on another HDD, on Steam or in Dropbox so I stand to lose little if it does die anyway...

It's not a candidate for a boot drive, perhaps :)