PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Mice

Cryptoshrimp
28-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Hello, people of the Tech Help subforums.

I own a very old Logitech trackman mouse, the exact brand I have long forgotten. However, the left mouse button does not connect any more, except when I apply a enormous (for a mouse click) amount of force. This can't be good for my mouse. Also, it is very annoying. I'd like to fix this, but I don't know much about the bits that make a mouse.

Since the mouse is out of production, I can't buy a new one. Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks!

neema_t
28-10-2012, 03:28 PM
It's probably not good for your finger either! My advice would be to open it up and see what the problem is, my guess is a knackered microswitch. See what info you can get from the left click switch - mainly the size and shape (a switch is a switch, most of the time) - and see if you can get a replacement and then, well, replace it. Also check and see if anything else looks broken inside, any snapped pieces of plastic and such but if the switch actuator is being pressed and just takes more force than you'd expect it'll be the switch and nothing mechanical (such as a piece of plastic which would make the connection between the button and switch).

Feldspar
28-10-2012, 03:46 PM
^Exactly that, the most likely problem is a worn microswitch, follow by deformation, breakage or just wear of the mechanical parts.

If you are unable to repair it, remember that you can never tell what you'll find on eBay.

Cryptoshrimp
28-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the advice, folks. I'm not even sure what a microswitch is, but I'm sure Google will help me out there. I've checked, and the plastic seems intact - nothing fell out and there's no edges that looks like something snapped off. The microswitch seems the most likely culprit.

mashakos
28-10-2012, 09:29 PM
http://www.instructables.com/id/Repair-mouse-with-double-click-problem/step5/locate-the-click-mechanism-that-is-causing-the-pro/

Some disassembly required.