PDA

View Full Version : Non gaming laptop for my sister.

Peter Radiator Full Pig
09-07-2011, 01:20 AM
My sister is looking for a non gaming laptop. She wants it to do 'homework' which will consist of watching youtube, browsing the internet and playing DVDs. So, a laptop that does these (Though the DVD is non essential, just a plus) would be great.
I just want to get her a cheap one, under 250 Euro if possible. I think I have a version of XP I can use, so if I dont have to pay for that, great! Delivery to Ireland.
I dont know what makes are trusted, or what ones are good at all. I dont know what sellers are considered good. How long would such a laptop function?

Anyone recommend a basic laptop, so? It would be greatly appreciated, I said Id do this for her a while ago, and promptly forgot.

Wolfenswan
09-07-2011, 09:59 AM
It might be too small if she wants an "at home" laptop but I love my 1015 PM (http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-1015PEM-PU17-BU-10-1-Inch-Netbook-Blue/dp/B0042TS7GE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310201814&sr=8-1) Netbook

2 extra Gig of RAM for the EEE are cheap (be sure to check compatibility) and easy to insert. Only downside is the pre-installed crap that comes with it so installing XP or Ubuntu is probably your best call.

President Weasel
09-07-2011, 11:31 AM
If it's a netbook won't it lack a DVD drive? If the DVD thing isn't a problem, I'd recommend an Asus netbook too.

Wolfenswan
09-07-2011, 12:06 PM
If it's a netbook won't it lack a DVD drive? If the DVD thing isn't a problem, I'd recommend an Asus netbook too.

right; i wanted to mention that but forgot. personally i either use a 12GB flash drive or an external DVD drive.

Christian
09-07-2011, 12:14 PM
I hope I don't get banned for saying something like this here but when it comes to long-term usage and happiness (esp. for 'normal' users and usage), she might consider spending more and getting a 13,3"-MacBook (the small, white ones).
An ex-girlfriend of mine bought one of those about 5 or 6 years ago and is still very happy with it. She mainly uses it to write stuff for her studies, watch videos, listen to music and the internet, so no gaming. The only thing she added in all those years was a bit more memory (not bought from Apple of course).

It took a while for her to get used to MacOS (which is quite different when you are used to Windows), but after that she doesn't want to trade it against Windows anymore (in the years before, she ran through about 3 Win-Laptops which all failed or became slow). No viruses, very few worries and "everything just works" (quote).
Another friend had a very similar experience, so when it comes to recommending computers to (non-gaming) girls, I'd always go for a MacBook (esp. when you're the one who will be the tech guy who gets called in case of problems)..

The initial price might be steep, but in the long run it seems to pay off.

[disclaimer]
I myself don't like Macs or anything with an i in front of it (except my old iPod with a harddisc, that is still great), I find the whole concept strange and the hardware tremendously overpriced and Apple as a whole quite the rip-off-company. But when it comes to recommending the right tools for a situation, you have to put aside personal views sometimes ;)

Peter Radiator Full Pig
09-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Are netbooks cheaper more expensive due to them being more compact in design and componenets, or are they cheaper because they arent as powerful?

Wolfenswan
09-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Are netbooks cheaper more expensive due to them being more compact in design and componenets, or are they cheaper because they arent as powerful?

both, basically. the 1015 runs HD videos seamlessly, though running several flash videos at once produces lag and stutter.

regarding the "get a mac"-comment:
consider buying a cheaper laptop the same power as a mac book and slap ubuntu 11.04 on it. they've introduced a new interface i personally really hate but it's slick, intuitive and "mac-esque"

oh and take a look at Notebookcheck.net (http://www.notebookcheck.net/), especially Purchase Consultation (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Purchase-Consultation.13212.0.html)

Christian
09-07-2011, 01:45 PM
[...]
regarding the "get a mac"-comment:
consider buying a cheaper laptop the same power as a mac book and slap ubuntu 11.04 on it. they've introduced a new interface i personally really hate but it's slick, intuitive and "mac-esque"
[...]

Yeah, that's what *we* might do and be happy with. But people without some sort of background who just want to 'write, youtube and internet' tend to walk into difficulties with that approach ("So where's Office now?" and stuff). It's not just about the look..and regarding usability for computer-dummies, they do have some advantage.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing against Win oder Linux here, and most certainly don't want to bash any other OS out there. Just suggesting a solution that seems to lead to a win-win situation :)

Wolfenswan
09-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Yeah, that's what *we* might do and be happy with. But people without some sort of background who just want to 'write, youtube and internet' tend to walk into difficulties with that approach ("So where's Office now?" and stuff). It's not just about the look..and regarding usability for computer-dummies, they do have some advantage.

you misunderstood me there; i recommended ubuntu because of the new, newbie-user-friendly interface. lots of my less tech-savvy friends who would never had touched linux before really like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xackliWG3s&feature=related

measurements
11-07-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm with Christian. I can't stand the lack of choice that comes as standard with these hermetically sealed iDevices but... When you're the one that gets bothered by any form of tech help issue it's not only useful for them but selfish reasons come into play too. Plus I've seen other friends have a mac laptop work well enough for their needs for over seven years. The extra cost is justified then.

My friend even accidentally cooked his (put laptop on hob flame) and it still went strong.

Edit: Problem I have with recommending non-gaming computers is that I can't get my head around it. If you want a PC, get a fucking decent one man! So recommending a Mac seems like a cop-out. It's not really a computer, just a web-able toy to satisfy peons. Ayyeeeee. I shouldn't be in this thread.

zuddy
12-07-2011, 03:24 AM
Edit: Problem I have with recommending non-gaming computers is that I can't get my head around it. If you want a PC, get a fucking decent one man! So recommending a Mac seems like a cop-out. It's not really a computer, just a web-able toy to satisfy peons. Ayyeeeee. I shouldn't be in this thread.I'm with this, only because, well, you really don't need much to do Youtube, email, and DVDs, and at that level of cheapness everything is going to be around the same level of quality (or lack thereof). Just go to whatever big box, play with them, and pick the shiniest, cheapest one. It'll be fine.