PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Downloader problems



neema_t
24-11-2012, 06:38 PM
So I went and I bought Assassin's Creed: Revelations from Amazon US (I'm in the UK). Upon attempting to download it I have been met with shameful failure, basically I start it when I go to bed and come back to find that the file failed to extract, I'm guessing because the download interrupted (my internet has the consistency of Cheese Strings except with far more noise) and so the file was corrupted, and because it's apparently so gosh-darn difficult to design a piece of software which will detect when the connection goes away, pauses what it's doing and then resumes from the right place when it comes back.

Anyway, I've already tried twice and it's killing my bandwidth, so I'd like the next attempt to be the one. I've tried redeeming the key on Steam but that predictably didn't work, so have you any other suggestions besides just trying again and again and again? My experience with Ubisoft products combined with this current problem is making me wonder if I should have just not bothered, even for 6.

Multiple thank-words in advance.

gravity_spoon
24-11-2012, 06:51 PM
I've had a lot of problems with Amazon downloader before and HAWX just refused to work even though it downloaded properly. Email their customer support with screenshots (if you have any) and ask for refund if you want to

Bobtree
24-11-2012, 08:36 PM
I had some weird issues with trying to download ARMA2 and OA on Amazon. I think it was a web-based downloader snafu, and the solution was to save and use the small self-contained install-downloading exe's for each game separately. On the "Your Games & Software Library" (reachable from your account info), each has its own download button to get its exe. If you look at the product page and see "you own this, click below to download again, go to your games library" on the upper right, that starts the fubar web downloader, so don't use this.

neema_t
25-11-2012, 11:42 AM
I had some weird issues with trying to download ARMA2 and OA on Amazon. I think it was a web-based downloader snafu, and the solution was to save and use the small self-contained install-downloading exe's for each game separately. On the "Your Games & Software Library" (reachable from your account info), each has its own download button to get its exe. If you look at the product page and see "you own this, click below to download again, go to your games library" on the upper right, that starts the fubar web downloader, so don't use this.

That's the downloader I had been using, but I kept pausing it after a few MB because I wanted to leave it until later so now I'm wondering if that was what the problem was. I've just started it again, no pausing this time, I'm sure my family will hate me for downloading 8GB during the day on our terrible connection but I'm ill so they can't hold it against me. Probably.

Edit: Problem solved, didn't pause and it finished properly. I even got disconnected several times but it resumed just fine.