PDA

View Full Version : Total biscuit

Simon
03-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Does anyone actually like this idiot?

He has just done a WTF is dnf which irks me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6MjzgTZriw&feature=feedu

He also seems to try to hard and comes across as a bit clueless and not funny.

I think its mostly americans that like his accent for some demented reason.

JohnnyMaverik
03-06-2011, 08:38 PM
I like him, I don't always agree with him but I like him. As far as his Death and the Fly WTF is? goes I'm a bit 50/50 on it, I can fully appreciate that those menu's are not good, in any realm of perception and/or possibility, the start menu is bland and only just functional, the mission selection menu is pretty but complete mind-fk to navigate.

Never mind the resolution issues he ran into which sound frankly unforgivable.

As for the actual game part, It doesn't look amazing but I thought he was overly harsh, graphically it was very nice, gameplay looked ok, not entirely sure what he was meant to be doing half the time and neither did he but he muddled through it, nothing spectacular and a few minor issues but it looked ok, certainly not the worst game in the world ever for all of time that he was painting it to be, but to be fair he does the whole thing in one take and after fking around with resolution options or rather the lack of them for god knows how long, as well as a good 40 minutes just trying to navigate the bloody menus, I imagine he was in a rather foul mood, and fair enough really.

The thing about TB is that like any reviewer/person who gives their opinion, your allowed to disagree, as is the nature of having opinions.

amandachen
03-06-2011, 08:44 PM
He's okay. I prefer his stuff to Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation thingy, because at least Fishy Biscuit shows us a little bit of the game and often has something insightful to say.

deano2099
03-06-2011, 08:48 PM
I get a little annoyed with him as he seems to buy a little too much in to his own hype. Which is a shame as he's actually pretty funny.

Then there was the whole WoWRadio/WoWInsider bust-up where they took over the podcast feed which annoyed me quite a bit.

Flint
03-06-2011, 08:49 PM
I like him - his videos not only contain a good amount of proper gameplay footage, but his reviewing style is also informative rather than something that's more focused on delivering witty lines.

Tei
03-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Does anyone actually like this idiot?

Who the hell is you? I don't know you, and this post make me have a negative opinion about you.

Binman88
03-06-2011, 09:16 PM
I neither like or dislike him. I have no real interest in what he has to say about games, but I've used his videos in the past to get a brief look at gameplay.

The JG Man
03-06-2011, 09:22 PM
He's a bit like the Giantbomb quick looks for me; great for gameplay, good commentary, don't really mind about the presenters. That being said, TB seems like a cool bloke, the kind of person you could quite easily have a good time with at a pub/bar.

The Innocent
03-06-2011, 09:38 PM
I like how TB merges commentary with actual gameplay, which is helpful for me as a potential buyer in this demo-less modern industry. Even if I disagree with him on the game he's looking at, I can generally tell whether or not I'll enjoy the game because I get to see some of the gameplay alongside his observations. Very few folks here on the interwebs are doing that job quite so well.

If you're complaining about his comments here on RPS: He can come off as irritatingly assured that his opinion is objective truth at times, but generally in response to other folks who are doing the exact same thing. And really, that's what it seems like you're doing by making a thread attacking someone. Clearly enough people find what he's doing to be enjoyable or useful enough to be worthwhile.

Full disclosure: I guess since I'm American, I have to confess to finding his voice pleasant to listen to. Unfortunately, it sounds flat and strange to me in Space Pirates and Zombies.

westyfield
03-06-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm British, and I must confess to disliking his accent. Not sure if it's regional or if it's put-on, but it irks me somewhat, and as a result I don't watch his videos. From RPS comments he seems nice enough, if a bit over-self-confident.
It feels really wrong to evaluate a person in just a few lines like this - people are complicated, and I suspect if Mr. Biscuit were to read this post he would deem me an asshole. Ah well.

wahwah
03-06-2011, 09:52 PM
I don't particularly like or dislike him, but his "WTF is..." videos are useful from time to time, like the GB quick looks.
First time I noticed him was when he did those Magicka LPs with the guys from the yogscast where he struck me as the least funny of the three.

vandinz
03-06-2011, 09:58 PM
He's OK but his pseudo American accent get's right up my hooter.

Komodo
03-06-2011, 10:05 PM
I very much enjoy his channel.

I wonder how much money he makes from it? Must be quite a lot now.

Teddy Leach
03-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Yes, I generally like this idiot. His using the occasional Americanism and smattering of American English occasionally get on my nerves however.

We seems to have the same opinions most of the time though, and he often gives me an idea of how good the occasional obscure indie game is.

amandachen
03-06-2011, 10:16 PM
He has some sort of attention disorder. I can't remember what he said about it, but I think he does a great job with his vids.

Gravy
03-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Some of his WTF? vids are ok. However when he attempts to cast SC2 games that im now an avid fan of he does my nut in, he's fairly clueless about any technicalities so he just seems to drop lame one liners and comments on things that anyone can see for themselves.

StrangLove
03-06-2011, 10:41 PM
I must say, I much prefer the yogscast fellas, but TB is useful for checking out a game quickly.

Ayam
03-06-2011, 10:55 PM
His voice is very annoying to me, but that's not a reason to hate anyone.

Mr. Icarus
03-06-2011, 11:21 PM
It's a crap-shoot sometimes. Some of the reviews are click-through-get-the-idea-and-leave, but others I find quite enjoyable. The only reason I purchased a copy of Section 8: Prejudice is because he made it look so damn fun in his video. And I have enjoyed it, though it won't be a game I remember.

Felisc
03-06-2011, 11:49 PM
I enjoy his wtf, often pretty useful, plus his videos (and rps podcasts) are a good way to train any foreign ear (mine included) to the mighty british accent.

Fiyenyaa
03-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Yes, I generally like this idiot. His using the occasional Americanism and smattering of American English occasionally get on my nerves however.

We seems to have the same opinions most of the time though, and he often gives me an idea of how good the occasional obscure indie game is.
Pretty much this. I really don't think many Americanisms work well with English accents (certainly not with TB's northern-eastern one), and it does grate just slightly.

I must say, I much prefer the yogscast fellas, but TB is useful for checking out a game quickly.
Ditto: TB for some info, Yogscast for some base laughs.

I will say one thing that really annoyed me (and it's really about Let's Plays in general rather than TB in particular) is that I cannot stand to watch people just sit there while they are stuck saying "erm...." into the mic for five minutes. Edit it out of the damn video if you get stuck.

Krans
04-06-2011, 01:35 AM
I enjoy TB's StarCraft commentating much more than his other stuff. Actually, his SC commentary is very accessible to non-players, and it was watching games on his YouTube channel that persuaded me to buy the game recently. I appreciate his avoidance of jargon, in-jokes and enthusiastic manner. But hey, YMMV.

Simon
04-06-2011, 01:38 AM
I enjoy TB's StarCraft commentating much more than his other stuff. Actually, his SC commentary is very accessible to non-players, and it was watching games on his YouTube channel that persuaded me to buy the game recently. I appreciate his avoidance of jargon, in-jokes and enthusiastic manner. But hey, YMMV.

lol but he cant play for beans.... Or biscuits, he isnt qualified to cast sc2 imo

Krans
04-06-2011, 01:42 AM
lol but he cant play for beans.... Or biscuits, he isnt qualified to cast sc2 imo
The majority of the most respected sports commentators on radio and TV can't play the sport they commentate on particularly well either, so I'm not sure what your point is here.

Simon
04-06-2011, 01:46 AM
The majority of the most respected sports commentators on radio and TV can't play the sport they commentate on particularly well either, so I'm not sure what your point is here.

Umm The only sport i watch is f1, They have that dick jake humphery but nooone listens to him because his a dick.

They listen to culthard and eddie jordan

TheLastBaron
04-06-2011, 01:46 AM
I like hiws radio voice, and compared to Yahtzee I greatly prefer TB, but I don't watch his videos much.
As for SC2, its not like Husky is good, he admits he gets stomped on in diamond, but he is a great caster/commentator.

Totalbiscuit
04-06-2011, 01:51 AM
I use Americanisms because I am married to an American and lived in America for quite some time. As I imagine, would a lot of people in the same situation.

As for the rest of the "does anyone like this idiot"? I think the best and only answer required would be the RPS staff. Either that or I have a gun to their head demanding they post my videos every week.

DainIronfoot
04-06-2011, 01:57 AM
He makes SC2 entertaining to me. Nobody else has managed that, no matter how much they talk about how great it is as an e-sport. All I see is guys playing an RTS, VERY FAST! After having spent time memorising "builds" and suchlike.

And I like all his other vids too. I am a positiveperson.

Thelionheart
04-06-2011, 01:58 AM
I use Americanisms because I am married to an American and lived in America for quite some time. As I imagine, would a lot of people in the same situation.

As for the rest of the "does anyone like this idiot"? I think the best and only answer required would be the RPS staff. Either that or I have a gun to their head demanding they post my videos every week.

I'm guessing the OP didnt expect this to happen?

Anywho, I think he does an alright job. Sometimes his videos can be hit or miss, but really I would watch him over say, Morgan "I can't review games correctly if a gun was put to my head" Webb.

Toamouse
04-06-2011, 02:03 AM
Personally I find his videos generally grand, yes some "americanisms" creep in however considering hes no doubt doing the videos for everyone, not just us islanders. His videos with the yoggscasts in Magicka has me in giggles, especially coping with simon.

I'd not have pre-ordered S8:P if not for his cracking video on it and I'd certainly like to think we can take his views into account and form our own opinions! (For example I'd disagree with some things he wittered about on his duke demo video)

After listening to him from my WoW days (stop hissing at the back of the class) I found it quite bizarre at first to watch his videos about other games, however nowadays I'll say I easily prefer them to the old WoW stuff!

/edit oh well I guess my first para is quite wrong now... Nyah Nyah to TB then! /insert rasping noise

Simon
04-06-2011, 02:38 AM
I'm guessing the OP didnt expect this to happen?

Anywho, I think he does an alright job. Sometimes his videos can be hit or miss, but really I would watch him over say, Morgan "I can't review games correctly if a gun was put to my head" Webb.

what some fanboy to sign up with a totalbiscuit user name? No not really but this is the internet and there are tons of fanboys out there. Hell even gabe newell has a massive following.

Oak
04-06-2011, 02:42 AM
his pseudo American accent

Say what now.

Baris
04-06-2011, 03:15 AM
what some fanboy to sign up with a totalbiscuit user name? No not really but this is the internet and there are tons of fanboys out there. Hell even gabe newell has a massive following.

Dear lord you're a twat. I'd give my left nut on that actually being TB, as if you followed RPS at all you'd know he regularly comments here.

Besides that though, does it not make you ashamed to look at the quality of your posts here when compared with pretty much everyone else?

Rii
04-06-2011, 03:50 AM
I haven't seen much of his work but what little I've seen has been informative and entertaining enough that I certainly don't feel I've wasted my time in watching it. Apparently he's becoming popular enough to subtly warp the space-time fabric of the industry and, well, good for him! For my part I don't seek him out, but I'll happily watch his work when I do stumble across it. That's usually via RPS, of course.

And yeah, that's him above. Hi TB!

Daiv
04-06-2011, 03:54 AM
I endorse Total Biscuit and raise my teacup to him.

Wolfenswan
04-06-2011, 04:15 AM

well played. but it's too obvious you are biscuit himself trying to up his viewer count via the method of foul mouthing.

JohnnyMaverik
04-06-2011, 04:16 AM
Actually I'm pretty sure that is the real TB, since he posts on RPS from time to time and is a regular reader from what I understand... I mean hell, his videos go up here so why wouldn't he be.

As for liking or not liking him, if he's not your cup of tea then don't watch his videos... that's really the only sensible advice I can give.

Edit: @ Wolfenswan

Damn that's a serious case of e-paranoia you've got going on there son.

Grey_Ghost
04-06-2011, 05:24 AM
Yes I like him. I am American, but I don't think it has anything with his accent per se. Though his ability to speak loud and clear, with my ability to understand everything he says certainly does. Sure as hell don't agree with him on everything, because I am not a drone. The majority of his shtick has been very entertaining thus far, and I really hope it remains so.

Gravy
04-06-2011, 05:43 AM
SC2 is an RTS so for a game based on strategy you'd hope the caster had a clue how to analyse the game a little.

Id prefer watch incontrol or artosis even idra casted games where you learn about the game a little - not just shouting oddities down the mic which is neither insightful or funny. Its good to have colourful casts, but sooner or later you want to find out the how,wheres and the whys and thats entertainment. Hell even Husky and HD can add some decent input or at least point you in the right direction.

Anyway the only problem i had so far was him on IGN IPL and obviously you can always mute.

Horses for courses I suppose.

treat
04-06-2011, 05:48 AM
Total Biscuit is a total dude. Thanks for reading, Simon!

Simon
04-06-2011, 05:52 AM
Total Biscuit is a total dude. Thanks for reading, Simon!

Total dude? More like a bit of a ... something that rhymes with runt that emienem or snoop diggy dog says alot in his songs!

Alez
04-06-2011, 07:25 AM
Simon

Does anyone actually like this douchebag?

He has just done a thread that irks me
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?69-Total-biscuit

He also seems to try too hard to insult strangers and comes across as a bit clueless and not funny.

I think it's mostly demented to think that people like total biscuit just because of his accent.

vandinz
04-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Say what now.
It means 'false' or 'fraudulent'.

REEJ
04-06-2011, 09:41 AM
At least he's not full of shit and actually says what he thinks about a given game.

Wolfenswan
04-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Edit: @ Wolfenswan

Damn that's a serious case of e-paranoia you've got going on there son.

won't you ever stop trying Biscuit? You and your legion of minions can not trick me!

oh and on topic:
don't care.

Sidian
04-06-2011, 11:45 AM
I've been 'following' him since his early days on WoW Radio. I think he's good at what he does and I find his videos entertaining. However, as a person he can annoy me. He seems to delight in insulting people for little to no reason and being obnoxious in general sometimes, and he can be very arrogant. He'd claim that this is an act; merely an exaggerated character he plays in his videos/radio shows for entertainment purposes. But it clearly isn't if you take a look at how he posts on forums, his twitter, or have been on the Vent server he frequents. He used to constantly go on threads like this and think he was being clever 'trolling' people, insulting them etc, and then saying 'It's the internet. Get a thicker skin!' And yet recently he's disabled all YouTube comments for himself and refuses to read them because it stresses him out too much, and he's recently talked about doing the same for Twitter as well and only accepting direct messages from a select few people. Pretty hypocritical if you ask me.

But yeah, at the end of the day, I enjoy watching his videos, so I don't really care what he's like.

pakoito
04-06-2011, 11:47 AM
I've been 'following' him since his early days on WoW Radio. I think he's good at what he does and I find his videos entertaining. However, as a person he can annoy me. He seems to delight in insulting people for little to no reason and being obnoxious in general sometimes, and he can be very arrogant. He'd claim that this is an act; merely an exaggerated character he plays in his videos/radio shows for entertainment purposes. But it clearly isn't if you take a look at how he posts on forums, his twitter, or have been on the Vent server he frequents. He used to constantly go on threads like this and think he was being clever 'trolling' people, insulting them etc, and then say 'It's the internet. Get a thicker skin!' And yet recently he's disabled all YouTube comments and refuses to read them because it stresses him out too much, and he's recently talked about doing the same for Twitter as well and only accepting direct messages from a select few people. Pretty hypocritical if you ask me.

But yeah, at the end of the day, I enjoy watching his videos, so I don't really care what he's like.

Pretty much this.

Shakermaker
04-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Right. So there you go.

Unaco
04-06-2011, 01:01 PM

Although they likely have the final word about what is discussed here, I don't think they would mind an open discussion on the forums.

Personally, never heard the guy. Can't stand video reviews. I watch Zero Punctuation, but that's nothing to do with the game or the review... that's just to listen to someone being mean for 5 minutes.

As I say though, I never watch video reviews, much prefer them to be written. I notice the Biscuit person has a video up about the Duke Nukem Demo (people 'review' demos these days?) which is 40 minutes long. That seems a little excessive to me. How long is his actual review going to be? 4 hours? A day and a half? And you know he's going to do one as he says DNF is a Day One purchase for him. On here, Meer's musings on the demo are <1,500 words. That seems more in line with 'thoughts on a demo' to me.

Joseph-Sulphur
04-06-2011, 01:13 PM
I think he's a good video maker. He acts like a wanker in RPS comment threads sometimes, but who doesn't?

P7uen
04-06-2011, 01:54 PM
TB stuff never really bothered my life until I heard that SPAZ video.

I've no opinion either way and didn't really know who he was until then, but that sounded like a child trying to do a Movie Guy voiceover for his friends (and failing). I like those sorts of games but I chose Starfarer since I took that as an indication of what the devs thought was quality.

Not his fault, I be a chef if someone paid me, not my problem if the food is shit.

He might be very good at reviews, though, I don't know. I subsequently watched the Crysis 2 review and then stopped watching it.

DainIronfoot
04-06-2011, 02:01 PM
It's rather sad that within a day of the creation of new forums, it has threads like this :(

fuf
04-06-2011, 02:02 PM
For comparison, check out this guy's walkthrough of the DNF demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXJo27307gk

His voice is lovely and soothing.

P7uen
04-06-2011, 02:14 PM
It's rather sad that within a day of the creation of new forums, it has threads like this :(

To be fair no one really took the bait from the inflammatory OP or the follow up, I think it's gone quite well so far!

Redeemer
04-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Ehh, what are those "Americanisms" that some of you find grating about his videos. I'm asking this out of sincere curiosity, as a non-native speaker, because I haven't really noticed any expressions that would have made my ears hurt in his speech.

EndelNurk
04-06-2011, 02:25 PM
I've been watching a few videos today and I haven't spotted any Americanisms either. Perhaps I've been watching too much US television. I agree with the generally positive attitude about the Starcraft stuff. I'm not a player and he makes it easier to watch videos than many other commentators I've seen. I've certainly not seen anything deserving of personal attacks against him.

Unaco
04-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Ehh, what are those "Americanisms" that some of you find grating about his videos. I'm asking this out of sincere curiosity, as a non-native speaker, because I haven't really noticed any expressions that would have made my ears hurt in his speech.

Things like missing out the U in words such as 'colour' or 'honour', using 'ze' in place of 'se' for words like 'analyse' or 'criticise', dropping the 'ue' from words such as 'catalogue' or 'dialogue', calling a sledge a sled or an aeroplane an airplane, having a specialty but not a speciality, and lots and lots of missing e's. We can hear all these things in his speech.

Totalbiscuit
04-06-2011, 02:36 PM
TB stuff never really bothered my life until I heard that SPAZ video.

I've no opinion either way and didn't really know who he was until then, but that sounded like a child trying to do a Movie Guy voiceover for his friends (and failing). I like those sorts of games but I chose Starfarer since I took that as an indication of what the devs thought was quality.

Not his fault, I be a chef if someone paid me, not my problem if the food is shit.

He might be very good at reviews, though, I don't know. I subsequently watched the Crysis 2 review and then stopped watching it.

Well that's a fairly immature attitude of you. I did it voluntarily to help them out and drum up more sales.

To be fair, this entire thread is full of negativity. A great start to the forums and a good reason not to bother posting on them.

The most amusing thing is that Simon 1) Thinks his opinion matters in some way and 2) Believes some fanboi signed up under my name to defend me.

At the end of the day I suppose, this is how many people like "this idiot"

Subscribers:

If it's enough to comfortably pay the bills, then it's enough to make people like Simon irrelevant.

Rossignol
04-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Gosh, Simon, this thread is terrible. I'm banning you for being rubbish. Bye!

Note: anyone who thinks kicking off thread with insults is a good idea will also get banned. The key rule for these forums is "don't be a dick". There will be no warnings.

Unaco
04-06-2011, 02:41 PM
To be fair, this entire thread is full of negativity. A great start to the forums and a good reason not to bother posting on them.

Really? I think I've only seen 2 or 3 people with truly negative comments (the OP being one of them, but we can safely ignore him), and the majority with positive comments, and a smattering of ambivalence making up the rest. If you think the thread is 'full of negativity' you maybe need to be a little less sensitive.

Rii
04-06-2011, 02:43 PM
At the end of the day I suppose, this is how many people like "this idiot"

Subscribers:

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/9251/rebeccablackw.jpg

Totalbiscuit
Really? I think I've only seen 2 or 3 people with truly negative comments (the OP being one of them, but we can safely ignore him), and the majority with positive comments, and a smattering of ambivalence making up the rest. If you think the thread is 'full of negativity' you maybe need to be a little less sensitive.

Be in the public eye at some point, then try the whole "be less sensitive" thing. Trust me, it's not as easy as you think.

Wolfenswan
Note: anyone who thinks kicking off thread with insults, for whatever reason, is a good will also get banned. The key rule for these forums is "don't be a dick".

I thought it was having class and style?

Rossignol
04-06-2011, 02:45 PM
I thought it was having class and style?

That is also acceptable.

Axyl
04-06-2011, 02:46 PM
I think TB is great personally. Been watching your WTF is vids almost since they started. You personally are the reason i bought SPAZ (and LOVE it btw..That should be on Steam imo)
Even when i don't agree with your views, TB, sometimes, that in itself is enough for me to gain a good idea of a game before buying it.

"TB dislikes X part of game Y"
"Well, I can see his point, but i find X to be rather good, and game Y i enjoy a lot more than game Z" etc etc. Gets an "internal dialogue" going if that makes any sense (i'm not sure it does. Sorry..very hungover today.)

Besides, TB is entertaining without being purely based on Humor (like Zero Punc. Tho that's not a negative remark..I love ZP as much as TB..just for different reasons)

Not that you need it, TB, but rest assured that you're rather not bad at your job, and I for one REALLY enjoy your stuff.

P.S. Shoutcast some Dawn of War II once in a while, yeah? hehe :)