PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for a living?

squareking
12-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Posting from my phone (at work, ironically), so I'll keep this short. What do you do to make money to buy your interactive entertainment monitor programs?

archonsod
12-07-2011, 11:38 PM
IT Engineer.

QuantaCat
13-07-2011, 12:10 AM
Editor, Director, Comedy Game Show Host, DIT, Video Engineer, Acting Coach (improv), and soon-ish Game Developer.

8-bit
13-07-2011, 12:20 AM
plastering mostly, sometimes we have to put boards up, or if we are feeling really adventurous, shift furniture for people! :O

as you can tell its incredibly exciting, no wait, mind-numbingly boring is what I meant.

Donjo
13-07-2011, 01:01 AM
I'm a filthy dole-bludger student wanker. Studying music. I have had jobs though, most notably IBM (computer monkey), Burger King (burger monkey) and Activision (Tony Hawks monkey) amongst many brain deadening others.

Xercies
13-07-2011, 01:31 AM
Student, doing 3D Animation degree which I have a feeling that I won't any 3d work when I get out of uni...

icupnimpn2
13-07-2011, 05:19 AM
Recent Pharm.D/MBA grad doing some part-time analyst work from home while I wait for my application to the uniformed health services to be processed.

Jams O'Donnell
13-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Making the Internet (which makes money)
Painting (which doesn't)

Ansob
13-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Software support for a tiny, post-startup company that is pretty much a monopoly in its field (which doesn't make me that much money, but makes them a small fortune).

Some kind of PR stuff for these people (http://punyhumangames.com/) (with whom I've been in various capacities for six years now, welp), which does not make any at all.

winterwolves
13-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Fulltime Indie game developer :D

Olero
13-07-2011, 11:21 AM
I make some ok money as an engineer / designer. Mostly 3D modeling with a whole bunch of software (Unigraphics, Solid Edge, Solid Works, Pro Engineer, ME10, Autocad etc.). The last couple of years I've been working on parts for the new generations chip-developing machines, a worthy goal for it leads to smaller, faster and hopefully better CPU's/GPU's/Memory banks.

Vexing Vision
13-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Publishing and supporting games in one form or another for way too long.

Ian
13-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Software developer for a small company. It's very boring.

Tikey
13-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Product/graphic designer (or better described as a Jack of all design trades). Mostly working on advertising stuff.

imirk
13-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Electrical Engineer, Designing Buildings with Architects and other Engineers, Schools, Hospitals, Libraries, Prisons, Brewerys :D

TimA
14-07-2011, 09:32 AM
I build lasers that are used for scientific equipment, and stuff. Working in a clean room without windows has its drawbacks on nice sunny days like today... Meh.

Harlander
14-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Software engineer for a defence-tech company that, a long time ago, was part of the government.

mrpier
14-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Programmer/Sysadmin in a university.

SirKicksalot
14-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Law clerk, working at home. Awesome job.
Got my licence in journalism recently, but I'll stick to my law firm for a while.

SeanybabeS
14-07-2011, 05:03 PM
I build lasers that are used for DESTROYING PLANETS, and stuff.

Sounds fun.

Jnr. SysAdmin for a web/cms infrastructure company.

mR.Waffles
14-07-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm a document analyst for an insurance firm, which basically means I read emails and route documents to different departments all day. I send about 600 emails a day. It sucks.

Though hopefully soon I'll be local police.

Wooly Wugga Wugga
14-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Software Engineer.

Kamikaze-X
15-07-2011, 09:54 AM
I'm a shipping clerk for a trans-Europe/Asia company.

Colonel J
16-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Just to add a bit a contrast to all these high-tech Gen X & Y jobs.

Farmer. Learning to be an organic veg & fruit grower on a community farming project.

Previously a burned-out civil servant & military aircraft project manager, then a burned-out management consultant. Currently conflicted between wanting to spend my time out on the land and time in front of a screen.

NieA7
16-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Project manager in local government. Not quite sure how that happened to be honest, I thought it was archaeology I studied.

thegooseking
16-07-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm doing a PhD in interactive storytelling. I'm funded by a research council, and I justify buying games by telling myself that they're "for research".

laneford
16-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Magnificent and beloved despot of a small banana republic in the Pacific.

Xercies
16-07-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm doing a PhD in interactive storytelling. I'm funded by a research council, and I justify buying games by telling myself that they're "for research".

Man that would be my dream right there, I've been fascinated by interactive storytelling with games for a number of years now.

thegooseking
16-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Man that would be my dream right there, I've been fascinated by interactive storytelling with games for a number of years now.

It's perhaps not quite as exciting as it sounds, but on balance it is pretty wonderful and I certainly can't complain.

TillEulenspiegel
16-07-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm doing a PhD in interactive storytelling.
What do you think of Universalis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universalis)? That's the purest interactive/collaborative storytelling system I know of which can still be called a game.

EOT
17-07-2011, 11:48 AM
I've gone to University in an attempt to get a piece of paper I'll probably never use. I used to work in the Oil Industry.

I also periodically manage bars at festivals.

sinister agent
20-07-2011, 02:16 AM
I do nothing. It's been the most interesting thing I've done for about 18 months, during which time I was battling the dark forces of human incompetence at a research university. Eventually I admitted my cause was lost, so right now I'm living off savings and taking stock. Also drinking. Quite a lot of drinking.

Before that I was an archivist for an educational charity. I fuckin' loved that job, not least because they asked me to write stuff for them. Before that I helped students with mobility issues get around a college and (unofficially) gave a little tutoring. Before that I did admin stuff for people who sold building supplies, and before that I worked in libraries. Before that I sold horrible tat to tourists in a cathedral, and before that I was a sandwich maker, and before that I realised everybody stopped reading two sentences ago so I'm going to say I procured and sold human organs to the Malaysian black market and personally ate Shergar.

Apparently since I left the last place, things have got considerably worse. I don't quite know if that's vindicating or just depressing, but there you go.

imirk
20-07-2011, 02:21 AM
I do nothing. It's been the most interesting thing I've done for about 18 months, during which time I was battling the dark forces of human incompetence at a research university. Eventually I admitted my cause was lost, so right now I'm living off savings and taking stock. Also drinking. Quite a lot of drinking.

Before that I was an archivist for an educational charity. I fuckin' loved that job, not least because they asked me to write stuff for them. Before that I helped students with mobility issues get around a college and (unofficially) gave a little tutoring. Before that I did admin stuff for people who sold building supplies, and before that I worked in libraries. Before that I sold horrible tat to tourists in a cathedral, and before that I was a sandwich maker, and before that I realised everybody stopped reading two sentences ago so I'm going to say I procured and sold human organs to the Malaysian black market and personally ate Shergar.

Apparently since I left the last place, things have got considerably worse. I don't quite know if that's vindicating or just depressing, but there you go.

wait.. you worked in libraries? :P

Donjo
20-07-2011, 03:22 AM
Nice to see plenty of educated book larnin' folk around here. But where are all the dolescroungers?!?

Oak
20-07-2011, 04:21 AM
Uneducated button-pusher reporting for duty.

JayTee
20-07-2011, 09:28 AM
I'm a Civil Servant. Sorry.

duff
20-07-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm actually the mastermind of RPS, Rossignol, Meer and Walker are infact merely emotions that guide my writing. Gillen was anger and sadly had to be surgically removed.

Alex Bakke
20-07-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm actually the mastermind of RPS, Rossignol, Meer and Walker are infact merely emotions that guide my writing. Gillen was anger and sadly had to be surgically removed.

And Quinns?

I'm a student that's not enjoying school currently and wants to do other stuff but can't be bothered.

DainIronfoot
20-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Starting a biosciences Phd on the evolution of avian coloniality in October. Up until then I am a filthy Msc student.

tomeoftom
20-07-2011, 02:46 PM
I am completely lost, but unfortunately not adrift.

kataras
20-07-2011, 03:10 PM
I m in business with IceRaiser, we buy/remove and sell kidneys. I buy/remove them, he sells them. Some of the money goes to the Arma RPS server, some not. If you have a kidney to spare, PM me and we ll talk.

Wolfenswan
20-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Edit: Posted in wrong thread. Fail, me.

Anyway i'm a bored to death sociology student and do backend internet content stuff for a trade fair (Typo3, mostly)

westyfield
20-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Student/schoolboy. Awaiting A2 results before (assuming I get the grades) heading off to study physics.