PDA

View Full Version : Hellgate Re-release

Jacques
03-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Hellgate Global is being re-released with a closed beta sessions starting today depending on your time zone, anyone planning on giving it another go?

cwoac
03-06-2011, 09:27 AM
I never got around to giving it a first go. I remember being really keen on the idea, but by the time I got around to looking at it, it was already kaput. If the closed beta response is favourable, I will probably take a butchers though.

Vexing Vision
03-06-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm one of the few people who actually really liked Hellgate London. I would have liked it a lot more had I been able to play LAN with my wife, and not this silly come-subscribe-to-our-online-servers fancy shmancy.

Not sure how well it'll fare in a F2P environment with ninja-looters running around, grabbing everything, but I'll definitely give it a go with a small group of friends.

Ezhar
03-06-2011, 10:43 AM
I still have the old box on my shelf, along with a reasonable start of a cancelled games collection (Tabula Rasa, Shadowbane, etc.). It was briefly fun then, but quickly got boring. The game wasn't done very well and all it had going for itself was an interesting story idea (more so if you live in London). Zombifying* it years later with little to no changes (from what I gather all they did was put up an engrish website for it) only makes it worse.

*Zombie: a soulless corpse said to be revived by witchcraft
informal a game who is or appears lifeless, apathetic, or completely unresponsive to it's surroundings.

venn177
03-06-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm one of the few people who actually really liked Hellgate London. I would have liked it a lot more had I been able to play LAN with my wife, and not this silly come-subscribe-to-our-online-servers fancy shmancy.

Not sure how well it'll fare in a F2P environment with ninja-looters running around, grabbing everything, but I'll definitely give it a go with a small group of friends.
I absolutely adored the game for the month or so it was up in '09 before it went down. Was painful to let it go.

I tried logging in and the servers are down, kind of annoying.

Edit: Call me crazy, but I don't think quotes work yet.

amishmonster
03-06-2011, 11:41 AM
I made the mistake of going for a lifetime membership before the game was even out, so I'm still feeling a bit too burned by that to go back to a F2P version. Plus, it only held my attention for a single play-through. Not sure why they'd resurrect it without any changes.

Jon
03-06-2011, 12:49 PM
I loved the concept of Hellgate, largely because I was living in London at the time, but once I actually played it quickly got bored. I don't think it helped that the opening location was Holborn where I worked, and yet was nothing like Holborn. That theme seemed to continue other then the odd landmark suddenly popping up out of nowhere as if it had been transplanted into an alternate reality.

sinomatic
03-06-2011, 02:41 PM
I played the original beta, and while I enjoyed it to an extent, I felt no compulsion to buy it at that time. I'm interested in hearing how it plays now, but I doubt I'll be playing it anytime soon unless there is some strongly positive feedback.

djbriandamage
03-06-2011, 04:01 PM
The game was a huge mess at launch but after leaving it on the shelf for several months the game had become everything I hoped it would be. Just imagine where Flagship would be today if they could have secured 4 more months of funding.

Looking forward to trying the closed beta tonight!

saladin
03-06-2011, 05:17 PM
I quite enjoyed it when playing with a group of three to four friends. Sure the thing looked terrible, but it had fun loot and some relatively interesting classes.

I don't remember loot-ninjas, though. Didn't it only allow you to view your own personal drops? Anyway, something like that I would never play with pubbies, so hopefully loot-ninjaing wouldn't be a problem.

Jacques
04-06-2011, 10:07 AM

There weren't ever any ninja looters as the loot was always instanced and everyone got full drops from bosses/chests/etc. Hopefully that's not changed, as it was one of the better ideas in the game.

I loved the concept of Hellgate, largely because I was living in London at the time, but once I actually played it quickly got bored. I don't think it helped that the opening location was Holborn where I worked, and yet was nothing like Holborn. That theme seemed to continue other then the odd landmark suddenly popping up out of nowhere as if it had been transplanted into an alternate reality.

I was sitting in Covent Garden yesterday, thinking it'd be a lot nicer if it was closer to the Hellgate version - without all the damned tourists and street performers.

The game was a huge mess at launch but after leaving it on the shelf for several months the game had become everything I hoped it would be. Just imagine where Flagship would be today if they could have secured 4 more months of funding.

Looking forward to trying the closed beta tonight!

Patch 2.0 with the abyss contest was absolutely brilliant. The sad thing is, most of the "new" content that it's this free version is actually stuff that Flagship were working on when they went under. All the Tokyo area was made by Flagship. Such a shame.

I quite enjoyed it when playing with a group of three to four friends. Sure the thing looked terrible, but it had fun loot and some relatively interesting classes.

I don't remember loot-ninjas, though. Didn't it only allow you to view your own personal drops? Anyway, something like that I would never play with pubbies, so hopefully loot-ninjaing wouldn't be a problem.

Looked terrible? I remember it looking quite good at the time.

Haven't had a chance to jump into the game yet, servers appear to be having a lot of problems and T3 are taking a while to get it all sorted. I guess that's what closed beta period's are for though.

saladin
04-06-2011, 12:35 PM
I thought (or at least I remember) the enemy animations being atrociously bad. And I seem to remember a lot of reused assets and poor textures in the outdoor areas.

As I said, it was fun despite that.

Jacques
04-06-2011, 12:44 PM
They probably were, admittedly I've not played the game in a while. The servers should be working now, but they're not.

Jacques
04-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Just managed to spend about 5 minutes in the game before the server crashed again.

First impressions, the new tutorial is incredibly annoying and looks to be made for people that've never played a game before in their life.

The mini-game is still in!

Graphics haven't aged particularly badly.