PDA

View Full Version : RPS Blood Bowl League - The RPS Open

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

President Weasel
16-09-2011, 10:21 AM
The only issue I can see with one ginormous league is that it would take a long time to complete. Now, I have no problem with this - my orcs were clearly not going to win the league after about week 2, and being stuck in the basement of the league for the entire season didn't make me want to drop out or wish the league was shorter so I had another chance at winning it. I don't mind if we end up with a 20 team division that takes 19 weeks to play, since for me the joy of the Open is that the journey's the thing rather than the destination -there's no promotion or relegation, so there's no pressure to avoid losing and no incentive to win other than the satisfaction of the thing.

Now, some people might take a couple of weeks off due to holidays or job pressure or moving house and being sans internet - I don't see why that should be a problem; just post in the thread ahead of time, and set the result to something like 2-H for holiday.

The main issues with a ridiculously large league would be:
Dropouts - I hates em.
Oversubscribing of certain teams

I would suggest the following:
Dropouts - make it clear to people that if they're going to sign up then they're signing up for months, so if they're not sure they want to play for that long then they shouldn't sign up. (Except if they're Ian). Also, if they drop out early enough (or miss three games with no notice) then we should be able to get someone new in.
Oversubscribing - 2 race limit, and let current players who want to switch get first choice.

ChainsawHands
16-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Alistair Hutton
Alistair Hutton
Alistair Hutton

That should do it.

Alistair Hutton
16-09-2011, 11:18 AM
I do not have the time to play the Divisions and the Open, and my team in the Divisions is becoming pretty sweet.

ChainsawHands
16-09-2011, 12:20 PM
You suck, Al.

Jolima
16-09-2011, 06:11 PM
With 5 votes for and none against, I'll call the vote closed on expanding to 2 teams per race.

Get your new race picks marked up in the spreadsheet based on this please.

President Weasel
16-09-2011, 06:30 PM
With 2 votes for and none against, Al Hutton sucks.

Ian
16-09-2011, 07:39 PM
With 5 votes for and none against, I'll call the vote closed on expanding to 2 teams per race.

Get your new race picks marked up in the spreadsheet based on this please.

Is that as well as splitting the thing in two? Or is that not decided yet?

Jolima
16-09-2011, 07:47 PM
No, that vote is much closer, so I'll keep it open for a while longer.

duff
17-09-2011, 01:21 AM
If we split the league in two and then divide the teams based on race (so we don't get the same race twice in the same league) won't that mean that essentially some people will just never play each other? Brb picking zon's so I never have to play the whamazons again. On a more serious note I don't like that idea, but neither do I like the prospect of having a largely 'elfy' or 'bashy' league. If we did split the league in two we'd need to come up with a good way of dividing players.

@ Hughtower - Sunday at 2 is a definite no go for me sorry mate. I can do Saturday or Sunday after around 6 though if thats any good?

Ian
17-09-2011, 10:25 AM
That's what I was saying about/making suggestions for a few posts up, Duff.

It'd be sensible to reshuffle the teams in each division every off-season so the balance of team TV is sensible, in which case it'd be necessary to not be quite so rigid with races.

So if Division B ends up with two chaos teams, for example, nobody in Division B can change to chaos but they're free to change away from it.

Yeah, there might be a season where you end up with a division that's full or elves but the mix in the league would remain fairly balanced.

Screwie
17-09-2011, 02:09 PM
A problem with separating the groups by TV is that an end-of-season face-off between the top of each division doesn't sound such a cool idea anymore. I kind of wanted to see that...

How about we have it so the champion of each division remains where they are between seasons and everyone else goes into a draw?

Zoraster
17-09-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm with Screwie. I'm not really a fan of imposing balance in BB anyway. Nothing about the game is balanced so my vote would be for total anarchic randomness. Keep the division winners where they are, swap the runners-up and random draw the rest. Let Nuffle's will be done. Besides after 20 or so games TV fluctuates wildly from game to game anyway when one injury can easily account for 200+TV.

Ian and I played out our final match last night and it really had an end of season vibe as neither side seemed able to mount much enthusiasm for the task at hand. Lots of aimless shoving rather than powerful blocks was the order of the day with the Blackle/Mighty Blow Blitzers competing with the Trees to see who could be the most impotent.

Highlight of the game was Coach Warboss nobly vanquishing an arachnid invasion at Welby Towers. Buoyed by the heroics of their coach the humans got their act together (sort of) with a two-turner to secure a 2-1 victory although they still managed to waste their last reroll on a GFI and impotently fail to knockdown the fling with the final blackle blitz... it was that sort of game :)

Jolima
17-09-2011, 03:27 PM
I think you're arguing the same side as Ian here Screwie. Quoting Ian's original post:

At the end of a season just listing all the teams by the amount of points they finished the season with and just going, "#1 is division A, #2 is Division B, #3 is Division A" etc. (Or going A, B, B, A, perhaps? Something like that) so teams get spread evenly depending on what sort of state they're in at the end of a season.

So spreading out the rankings as much as possible rather than trying to keep the high ranks together.

Anyway, the vote is currently 6-4 in favor of splitting the league, and with 11 eligible voters that has about settled it. I'll post something more later in the weekend, maybe put up some new vote or maybe just deciding on the details. (Which can always be changed if anyone cares to argue about it.)

duff
17-09-2011, 04:31 PM
That's what I was saying about/making suggestions for a few posts up, Duff.

Yeh I read your suggestions, but to be honest didn't think they solved the issue.

Yeah, there might be a season where you end up with a division that's full or elves but the mix in the league would remain fairly balanced.

Right now we have the most balanced league in RPS: a league with one of pretty much every team. It makes sure that you are always on your toes and each week the games tend to be different from the last. Maybe thats just a side effect of me playing Lizards I'm not sure. Imagine if you picked norse and ended up in a league with 2 dwarf, orcs, chaos, khemri, nurgle and some elves.

All said I'm not radically opposed to the idea, I just think its quite a big change and we need to be sure.

Jolima
17-09-2011, 05:11 PM
I'm trying to find a schedule that we can follow more strictly as we get more players. Having two rounds over 21 days gives a similar time as with the original 10 days per round while letting us keep the weekly schedule more fixed.

Originally I thought to divide it as [Mo-Tu-We-Th-Fr-Sa-Su-Mo-Tu-We-Th-Fr] and [Sa-Su-Mo-Tu-We-Th-Fr-Sa-Su] to give every other round two full workweeks and one weekend and the other half one full workweek and two weekends.

Then I thought it better to shift it to [Su-Mo-Tu-We-Th-Fr-Sa-Su-Mo-Tu], [We-Th-Fr-Sa-Su-Mo-Tu-We-Th-Fr-Sa] to give at least part of two weekends to each round.

Then I figured that the workweek time is probably less important than the weekend time, so we can keep that one more flexible like [Su-Mo-Tu-We-Th-Fr-Sa-Su-(Mo-Tu-We-Th-Fr)] [(Mo-Tu-We-Th-Fr)-Sa-Su-Mo-Tu-We-Th-Fr-Sa]. So the first round has some flex at the end if needed, but people will be encouraged to be done by Sunday, the second round has some flex at the start if people can finish up the previous one early, but none at the end. We still have one full work week for each round for those who prefer to play then.

Hope that was understandable. Any thoughts?

Ian
17-09-2011, 06:58 PM
The latter suggestion(s) probably seem the most sensible, Jolima. Encouraging people to get matches done early but allowing in advance for rounds where people need a bit more time for whatever reason.

Highlight of the game was Coach Warboss nobly vanquishing an arachnid invasion at Welby Towers.

This was the most heroic thing that happened on my side of the game all evening. :D

@ Duff: Well the alternative, if there is to be a split (and that seems to be the popular vote at the time of typing) is to try and shoehorn these changes every season.

That involves either picking leagues by just spreading the races which could lead to massive TV mismatches or asking people to change teams, which could mean longer inter-season downtime as people try to get teams trained up. And possibly more people dropping out if they draw the short straw and have to change more often.

I've seen some leagues on FUMBBL balance teams out not by race but by categories of race. Using (almost appropriate for this site) a rock/paper/scissors(/dynamite) system.

Category Rock teams: Dwarf; Chaos Dwarf; Orc; Chaos; Undead; Khemri
Category Scissors teams: Lizardmen; Necromantic; Norse; Skaven; Nurgle
Category Paper teams : Dark Elf; High Elf; Wood Elf; Elf; Human; Amazon
Category Dynamite teams: Ogre; Vampire; Goblin; Halfling

The idea being that you're not restricting people by race quite so much but you're also not leaving leagues unbalanced as Jolima could ensure that divisions have a certain number of each, and if there're TV discrepencies he could give people a bit more time to level up for the next year to get the desired balance.

This probably wouldn't be suitable for race choices in general as a lot of people like to spread the races out and try and get at least one of each, but that system (or something similar) could be used for organising teams.

duff
17-09-2011, 07:40 PM
@Ian - Wow thats a peculiar system, never seen that before. Skaven and Human look like they could do with swapping though.

@Jolima - Yeh I like the second one best, allows a little flexibility and makes sure we don't overrun into the following gameweeks weekend.

Jolima
17-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Next complication: we are currently 17 players assuming that Ian stays. If we get to 18 we could run one 10-player and one 8-player division, but then they have to be set up as separate leagues in the game. If we end up an even multiple of 4 we can set it up as a Cup in the in-game system which seems to be what we are looking for. Any lurkers out there waiting for the opportunity to get in?

I hope we can get to an even multiple of 4, but there's only a 1 in 4 chance of that happening naturally. So, do we risk making two extra players wait it out as reserves or play it as two separate different size leagues? Keep in mind that different league sizes will also mean that the smaller one has to wait for 21 more days after their league is finished. Another alternative is playing them as separate leagues but allowing some coaches to have teams in both of them to even the sizes out.

That's probably the best option: A single Cup if we're a multiple of 4; or two championships with filler teams and then separate playoffs outside of the league system otherwise.

Well, I argued myself to an answer I'm happy with while writing, but I'll just post the whole thing anyways. :)

President Weasel
17-09-2011, 08:00 PM
we should get that Al Hutton to join, I hear he's pretty awesome and he probably fancies another RPS blood bowl team.

(oh, and I still think one giant league that takes forever to play is better, but I'll go with whatever)

Jolima
17-09-2011, 08:08 PM
(oh, and I still think one giant league that takes forever to play is better, but I'll go with whatever)
For the record, that was my vote as well. But, eh, we'll try it this way for a season and we can always change it back if we don't like it.

potatoedoughnut
17-09-2011, 08:29 PM
You can run it as a cup with a couple filler teams (just give byes on the schedule). I don't really like having byes, but it might made the admin easier.

Jolima
17-09-2011, 08:48 PM
I assume that we can't get the same player to join the same league with multiple teams (haven't tried though) so that would require some otherwise uninvolved coaches to add the fillers. Of course then we can lure them in with only asking them to be fillers before demanding that they play all of their games out... Shutting up now before I ruin the plan further. :-)

HughTower
18-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Duff - early evening (Sunday) is fine with me if you can still do it. I'd prefer to start before 630 if poss.

Lemmeknow ole chap.

Jolima
18-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Laneford, I still need to play you as well. Can you play this afternoon/evening perhaps?

groovychainsaw
18-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Arni, im out again tonight I'm afraid, it'll have to be a weeknight now it appears, and I'm out tues and thurs i think. How's tomorrow night fixed for you?

duff
18-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Hughtower - I should be home around 6pm or 6.30. I'll try to make sure its 6.30 at the latest.

HughTower
18-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Excellent. See thou then.

Arnisarus
18-09-2011, 03:41 PM
that should work for me 9pm ?

duff
18-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Excellent. See thou then.

Bah. Really sorry mate but my grandma has just phoned and shes going to look at a dog she might be getting tonight and wants me to go with her... at 6 o'clock. Not sure when I'll be back, probably by 8. If thats no good for you then I can do any evening next week if you let me know a little in advance. Sorry mate.

groovychainsaw
18-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Hi Arni, I should also be back tonight just after 9 if that works better for you? If not, tomorrow's still good!

Arnisarus
19-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Sorry GC i didnt check it after that point yesterday, 9 pm tonight is fien though.

Zoraster
19-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Change of plan. With the race limit up to two I'll be returning to plan A which was bringing Fatality back after a season off to restore fling honour :) Vexing put a spanner in that one, but now I'll continue figuring out how to play pointy eared pansy and go Dwarf or Human in the Divisions once I secure/give up trying to win the Championship with the Rats. Added bonus it saves me the grind of farming a dwarf team up towards the desired TV levels.

Speaking of which what is the target TV for next season Jol?

Arnisarus
19-09-2011, 08:30 PM
gc i will be on at 9:30 if thats okay

groovychainsaw
19-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Yeah, no problem ;-)

Vexing Vision
19-09-2011, 09:11 PM
What, what, what did I ruin now? My Dark Elves haven't even played yet!

Arnisarus
19-09-2011, 09:22 PM
okay im on now dude

laneford
19-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Laneford, I still need to play you as well. Can you play this afternoon/evening perhaps?

Hey Jolima,

I appear to be relatively busy at the moment, are you around tomorrow (tuesday) perhaps?

Jolima
19-09-2011, 10:24 PM
I am. See you sometime before 8.

Zoraster: I think the average TV is somewhere around 1800. I won't enforce a strict upper limit I think, but I'm hoping people aren't pushing the upper limit too much...

The next season will probably be created during this week, and we can start it sometime next week when everyone has applied. The votes are currently 6-6 for splitting or expanding the league (with 11 eligible votes...) but we'll probably stick with splitting it for next season I think.

duff
20-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Tower of Hugh - Can you play tonight (Tuesday) at any time after about half 6 or 7? I definitely can and I've been waiting all weekend to feel those rough hands smothering my reptilian thighs.*

*Too much?

Vexing Vision
20-09-2011, 08:44 AM
I am. See you sometime before 8.

Zoraster: I think the average TV is somewhere around 1800. I won't enforce a strict upper limit I think, but I'm hoping people aren't pushing the upper limit too much...

Huh, alright. I'll give my dark girls a few more matches then.

laneford
20-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Ok Jolima, I'll aim for 7ish if that's ok with you?

Jolima
20-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Played laneford and won with 2-1 after KO'ing most of his team while suffering only one KO in return.

This means I've gone through the season undefeated and claimed the title from drawliens 'Zons. Yay me!

With only one game remaining the spread of TV is: 1020(Retiring 'flings),1300(Arni's Woodies due for recovery games),1470(MIA Undead),1720,1760,1790,1880,1960,2040,2060,2090,21 00. So yeah, there's a high average. I don't think a few hundred points necessarily means so much at these levels though.

I'll set up the leagues for next season sometime during this week and everyone will have until next Saturday to apply for a kickoff on Sunday the 2nd.

laneford
20-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Congrats Jolima!

Alas, I end my best ever season on a 2-1 defeat.

Effectively, Jolima's elves had that one more skill than mine, so my only advantage was AV8 vs AV7. I recieved, trying to turn the match into a brawl and hope I could wear down his players, alas, couldn't put a scratch on them, and eventually got out-elfed myself.

Good match Jolima, and congrats again on the championship!

drawlien
21-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Well done Jolima, from the game we played - way back in the mists of time at the beginning of the season - you definitely deserve the title!

Ian
21-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Stupid Jolima and his invincible AV7. *grumble grumble*

:)

Jiiiiim
21-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Right I think I am going to need some help getting my team up to 1800-ish. Will probably go with my humans instead of necros as they're closer to that mark and it's easier to convince people to play against humans than unstoppable killing machines.

Vexing Vision
21-09-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm actually going to need some help getting my dark elfs up there as well.

Maybe we can help each other by not murdering each other madly? Hmm. Maybe Saturday?

Screwie
21-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Hmm my gobbos are sitting at 1500 square right now. Do I rank up or abuse the 200+ TV difference on inducements? Hmm indeed...

Ian
21-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Probably depends on how attached you are to any decent goblins you may have Screwie. If you have any goblins you think are vital I'd probably just wait it out and start knowing I'll play with inducements (bribes!) A goblin, no matter how "competent" is always likely to end up as a smear after all.

Otherwise see it as an opportunity to try and get some SPP on the trolls. :)

Zoraster
21-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Personally I'd stick Screwie (actually only fair to warn you in case we meet early: Fatality finished last season around 1550 and I have no intention of playing them before next season starts). Unless you roll a lot of doubles you quickly start seeing diminishing returns for your investment with Goblins. 3 Trolls, a full set of bribes (and two chainsaws when you are not hamstrung by Cyanide) and occasionally a wizard gives a lot more bang for buck than multiple levelled Goblins with just normal skills.

laneford
21-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Right I think I am going to need some help getting my team up to 1800-ish. Will probably go with my humans instead of necros as they're closer to that mark and it's easier to convince people to play against humans than unstoppable killing machines.

I've probably got some fodder for you Jimothy, give me a message on steam.

Jolima
21-09-2011, 07:57 PM
I've probably got some fodder for you Jimothy, give me a message on steam.
I should say the same: Write me on steam if anyone wants a game. I'll be available most evenings and have teams in most TV ranges to pick from.

Vexing Vision
21-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Alright! In an attempt to level up my 1470 dark elves, they are now 1200 dark elves.

When is the next season starting again?

President Weasel
21-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Arf. Want to play my chaos in the challenge league in 5 minutes?

Vexing Vision
21-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Naw, off to bed. :) I'll spend the weekend leveling them up. At least they got their breaking out of the way before the league!

potatoedoughnut
21-09-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm happy to play some challenge league games when I'm around on steam.

Screwie
21-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Personally I'd stick Screwie (actually only fair to warn you in case we meet early: Fatality finished last season around 1550 and I have no intention of playing them before next season starts). Unless you roll a lot of doubles you quickly start seeing diminishing returns for your investment with Goblins. 3 Trolls, a full set of bribes (and two chainsaws when you are not hamstrung by Cyanide) and occasionally a wizard gives a lot more bang for buck than multiple levelled Goblins with just normal skills.

Yeah that's pretty much how I see it. Even a much better team can be undone with a halfling chef.

Also, boo on Cyanide for giving us the useless pogo star player instead of more violent ones. TD-scoring star players are just the worst, and I would love to field a match with Blackwort, Dribblesnot and Fungus alongside my no-namer gadgeteers!

HughTower
21-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Duffster,

Soz for missing your horny hand on my inner thigh on Tuesday but I've been busy. Apparently. I might have a window on Friday night lateish, or failing that, I'm nicely free on Sunday.

How's that make you feel, gecko boy?

duff
22-09-2011, 12:34 AM
No worries, could you do Sunday evening? Around 7 or 8pm?

HughTower
22-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Sounds perfick. See you then.

grinn
24-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Hey guys, anyone up for a challenge game today? Can play from 14.40 onwards cet.

grinn
24-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Anyone up for a game in challenge league tomorrow? Tv 2000.

President Weasel
24-09-2011, 10:19 PM
There's a challenge league thread specifically for the challenge league which is probably a better place to find challenge league games. Also there's the RPS blood bowl steam group, although it's pretty quiet.

grinn
25-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Yes sorry about that Pres. Found it and posted there :)

duff
25-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Hughtower - Could we start around 7 tonight? As I was hoping to play some DDO with some of the rps fellows at 9.

Arnisarus
26-09-2011, 11:17 AM
so this ends very soon right? i need to organise some recovery games for my poor woodies :P

Friday i have all night free so am planning on doing the games then

LowKey
26-09-2011, 05:41 PM
hey guys, I saw Jolima's steam announcement and would like to get involved in the Open, unfortunately my highest TV team is a nugle with only 1500, would that be too low?

duff
26-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Lowkey - not really, I think the TV's range from about 1600 to 1800. You will be fine with 1500 I think or you could play a game or two in the challenge league before it starts. Though I'm not sure if we have room for another player, Jolima will be able to tell you better.

Myself and Hughford played a very entertaining 2-2 draw last night to conclude the season. It was a pretty close match and a draw was probably a fair result. His rat ogre really is a fucker. Thanks for the game mate, well played.

Jolima
26-09-2011, 05:59 PM
The last game was played yesterday so I've ended the league and you can withdraw your teams. The next season starts on Sunday, which means all applications should be in on Saturday.

We are currently at 17 players, and we need to be an even number to start. Ideally a multiple of 4. I've made a Steam announcement hoping to draw some more players in. If we have 2-3 more interested by Thursday I'll set it up as one 20 player Cup with two pools and a playoff. If we have 0-1 more players I'll set it up as one 10 player and one 8 player Championship and we can play the final game in the Challenge league. If this ends up with an odd number of players I'll try to get someone to put a filler team in.

If you cannot apply between Thursday and Saturday, make sure that you are applied to the current league and say so here and I'll make sure you won't have to switch to the new league if we have to create one. I've changed the league password to be chainsawed for simplicity (same as in the divisions).

Edit: LowKey, you're very welcome. Write yourself up in the spreadsheet please.

If we get two more players I will start as soon as all applications are in, so please apply to the league "RPS Open" right away if you can.

Another edit: Actually, we still have to give Arni his promised days to get some training matches in so we're starting on Saturday regardless. Do still apply as early as you can though.

LowKey
26-09-2011, 06:40 PM
ok iv put myself in the spreadsheet, looks like you have 20 at the moment though?

Vexing Vision
26-09-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm still in. My Darkies are at 1570 at the moment, and I don't dare to play them anymore before I end up at 900 again.

I'll live. :)

Jolima
26-09-2011, 07:03 PM
ok iv put myself in the spreadsheet, looks like you have 20 at the moment though?
I count 18 with you. 12 from last season - Khryses who went MIA + 7 Reserves.

laneford
26-09-2011, 07:07 PM
If anyone needs a training match tonight, let me know.

LowKey
26-09-2011, 07:15 PM
If anyone needs a training match tonight, let me know.

Id be up for a game to cram some TV into my team

Jiiiiim
26-09-2011, 07:17 PM
me too, I have made ZERO PROGRESS so far

LowKey
26-09-2011, 07:33 PM
although I wont play snoozers khemri because THEY ALWAYS BREAK MY MANS

Arnisarus
26-09-2011, 08:32 PM
its okay my brother is going to play a few matches to get my team back to life :D ill be ready to apply sat

Indefatigible Snoozer
26-09-2011, 09:24 PM
if anyone wants me to break their mans.... I mean have a friendly against some energetic Khemri, drop me a line

Screwie
26-09-2011, 09:54 PM
I applied with the Stikky Fingerz. Just a smidge over 1500, but what they lack in TV they make up for with bruisability.

laneford
26-09-2011, 11:23 PM
sorry guys, I ended up not getting online until later than expected.

I'll be around for levelling purposes on wednesday after about 9:30, and thursday evening from 6/7ish.

potatoedoughnut
27-09-2011, 04:33 AM
I applied with my Undead mans. If things get reshuffled and I need to reapply somewhere else I can do that.

mrpier
27-09-2011, 06:05 AM
Do you still need another player?

Jolima
27-09-2011, 06:34 AM
mrpier: Yes please. You plus one more would be perfect.

mrpier
27-09-2011, 09:36 AM
I'll try to apply something tonight then.

Ian
27-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Oh, I didn't realise we were GO. I shall have a look at my teams tonight.

Humans may well be available if people want 'em, I'm not sure what the current situation is with selected races.

LowKey
27-09-2011, 09:44 AM
I have applied with my diseasy lads, being a bit newb I am right in thinking I cant play any matches outside of the open with that team now right?

Ian
27-09-2011, 10:07 AM
You can to build up the TV a bit if they need it, LowKey.

mrpier
27-09-2011, 10:45 AM
I was thinking about going with a High Elves team, getting a bit tired of my Dwarfs in the divisions tbh, even if they have performed admirably for me.

Vexing Vision
27-09-2011, 11:38 AM
My apologies for being a bit blind, but where exactly in-game do I apply? What's the name of the division? Did I just not find anything containing RPS and Open?

Zoraster
27-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Pretty sure it is RPS Open, but Jolima is the owner so just search the owner in the league finder and you'll get a nice short list :)

ChainsawHands
27-09-2011, 12:00 PM
I've not applied, on the grounds that I'm already in the league. Sticking with my chaos in the hopes that they end up being good (i.e. I end up working out how to use them...)

Alistair Hutton
27-09-2011, 01:50 PM
I've not applied, on the grounds that I'm already in the league. Sticking with my chaos in the hopes that they end up being good (i.e. I end up working out how to use them...)

Claw, Mighty Blow.

It's not rocket science.

grinn
27-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Applied this morning.

duff
27-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Claw, Mighty Blow.

It's not rocket science.

And piling on and frenzy!

Screwie
27-09-2011, 04:28 PM
And Block too!

LowKey
27-09-2011, 04:50 PM
block, block never changes

also I am up a game tonight if anyone fancies one

Jolima
27-09-2011, 08:44 PM
mrpier: Noticed that you have applied with a TV 1000 team. Just be aware that you will be severely outranked and I would recommend getting some training matches in before we start.

One more player still very welcome.

Vexing Vision
27-09-2011, 10:44 PM
I miscounted and it's TV 1560. DONT KILL ME I WANT TO WIN THIS CAN I PLAY VS SCREWIES GOBBOS FIRST KTHX.

Applied.

mrpier
28-09-2011, 06:34 AM
Jolima: When do we start anyway? Maybe I could get a couple of matches in the challenge league before that, but it's also kinda tempting to see how a fresh team manages in an established league.

Jolima
28-09-2011, 06:45 AM
Saturday is the last day to apply and Sunday will be the first day to play matches. You're welcome to try with a fresh team if you want, I just wanted to make sure you were aware that you would be the only one doing so.

mrpier
28-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I was aware of that, but I'll see what I have time to play before Saturday.

LowKey
28-09-2011, 12:56 PM
looking for another training game today/tonight however caution! I foolishly dropped my nurgle team out of the challenge league and applied to the open, so the team is now in the public leagues until Saturday, so to play you will need to be too, sorry!

President Weasel
28-09-2011, 02:50 PM
you know you can get the team back into the challenge league quite easily? There are plenty of people with admin rights, me for instance

LowKey
28-09-2011, 03:54 PM
aha! then I shall apply for it again post-haste

Ian
30-09-2011, 08:58 AM
So exemplary* was the performance of Jim's ogre in his human team training match last night he composed a song*** in his honour**.

* May not have been exemplary.
** May not have been in his honour.
*** There was definitely a song, though.

Jiiiiim
30-09-2011, 09:06 AM
I see Jacobi round town with a bony head, and I'm like, fuck youuuuuu
I guess the brains in yo' pocket, wasn't enough, I'm like, fuck youuuuu and fuck you YET AGAIN you stupid ogre.

On an unrelated note I'm kind of desperate to get one or two more games in today. Anybody not working today? ¨_¨

Jiiiiim
30-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Okay thanks to Mr Chainsaw we've got up to 1570. Have applied!

Arnisarus
30-09-2011, 09:34 PM
the elves are healthy again, at least for the start of the season :) have re applied

Ian
01-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Yeeaaahhh Jim's humans might be back down below 1570 for his first game.

Jolima
01-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, we are go!

I managed a last minute <del>begging</del> persuasion of Nullkigan to round us out to an even 20.

The first round is marked up in the spreadsheet with dashes; find your team at the left, look right until you find a dash and then up to see your opponent.

Going with the scheduling system I wrote down earlier, the first round ends next Sunday but leeway will be given until the Friday after if needed.

Have fun playing everyone and only maim each other sportingly. (While the ref is looking at least.)

President Weasel
01-10-2011, 08:36 PM
New spreadsheet am confusing!
However I strongly suspect I am supposed to be playing that Laneford fella next. Are we still organising matches in this thread or doing some sort of group thingery like the Divisions are doing?

Laneford, when would you like to play our top* of the table clash?

(*at least until someone else plays)

duff
01-10-2011, 11:49 PM
arni - How come your wood elfs played the same ogre team twice, racking up 10 casaulties and 5 TD's per game and then the other player conceded? I know we allow teams to play a bit in order to catch up with TV but in this case it looks like you've just got someone to create an all snotling team for the purpose of you knocking the stuffing out of them. When Jolima said we can play some recovery games I think the intention was that we would actually play some proper games, rather than just farm quick SPP. Otherwise we would just all make ourselves some nice 2000 TV Chaos. :P

LowKey
02-10-2011, 09:16 AM
first match against the head honcho himself! Jolima I am free most of the week (or today even) to play, just buzz me on steam :)

groovychainsaw
02-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Zoraster, when would you like to play, I'm free this morning and then every day this week, bar tues/thurs nights (I'm free during the day ATM, too, if that helps ;-))

Jiiiiim
02-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Alright Mr Hands, ready when you are.

Oh god, Chaos, oh god.

Screwie
02-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Exciting! Ian, any chance you could fit our game in today, 7pm start at the latest?

HughTower
02-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Right, Madame Drawlien...

To be a pain in the proverbial ass, I'm on holiday from Wednesday for 2 weeks (back on 19th) so I need to get our game in quick and I think Mon/Tues will be crazy busy at work. I'm playing Duff in the DoD at 6pm but could squeeze you in before that?

grinn
02-10-2011, 11:10 AM
First game in the lands of RPS against Duffin - The Gears are up for a Sunday match. Can you play today Duffin? I can hop on any time between now and 17.00 CET (Copenhagen time).

Arnisarus
02-10-2011, 12:35 PM
duff thats exactly what they did, i only had 2 hours to get them up to a decent TV again, so i had soem snotling help.

Does it make much difference? its outside the open and the team is on the same tv level now as the rest? it was either that or not play in the open. :) if people have an issue with it then ill drop out tis fine.

Zoraster
02-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Groovy if you can do a daytime that'll be grand. Always makes life easier with her in doors :) Wednesday around 13:00ish would be my first choice but at the moment could do Wednesday-Friday pretty much any time that suits you. Name your time and I'll book work stuff around it.

Vexing Vision
02-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Sir Nullkigan, I would like to ask for the honour of being badly mauled by your Norse on tomorrow's afternoon/evening/late, late night unless it happens I catch you online and willing on Steam tonight.

duff
02-10-2011, 02:43 PM
duff thats exactly what they did, i only had 2 hours to get them up to a decent TV again, so i had soem snotling help.

Does it make much difference? its outside the open and the team is on the same tv level now as the rest? it was either that or not play in the open. :) if people have an issue with it then ill drop out tis fine.

I know your team was pretty decimated so I feel like a bit of a twat for bringing it up. I just think we should avoid setting a precedent for 2 reasons:

1. Its a very abusable mechanic. I could pick lizzies and put all the SPP on my saurus which are incredibly hard to level up, or black orcs, or big guy etc. Not to mention you could farm for strength / agility upgrades and sack players.

2. Its a bit unfair on those who haven't had time to play warm-up games and don't have someone willing to roll an all snotling team for them to beat up. Not to mention those with low av teams who have risked playing warm-up games and lost players.

Zoraster
02-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Duffin: I don't see the issue tbh. Well I do, but for me you either have a proper league with all development done in competitive games or you don't. I don't like teams doing what arni did, but I don't see any difference between that and farming up a rookie team in a more subtle fashion. Same result at the end of the day, just without favouring coaches with loads of spare time on their hands. This league is a farming league.

Personally I've always maintained new teams should be rookie teams but I know internet coaches have never quite grasped that is how the game is normally played on TT. I have to say allowing teams to rebuild between seasons really takes away from the game though; a large part of BB is walking the line between protecting your valuable assets and utilising them to win games, along with developing players while trying to win games and hurt your opponents long term prospects. Take all that away and dead rubbers become totally meaningless games.

President Weasel
02-10-2011, 02:49 PM
I don't think you should drop out, but I do think for future seasons there should be a "no farming" rule. If you're going to be allowed the luxury of development matches in between seasons they should be legitmate matches. One reason we play the Open and the Divisions is to avoid farmed teams and know we are facing legit opponents.

Also, even having a team that's a bit broken in the Open isn't the end of the world. Even a team of journeyman elves plus a mercenary hero has half a chance.

grinn
02-10-2011, 03:02 PM
A compromise could be only allowing training matches in between seasons to be done in the challenge league? And restricting imported teams to those that have played only in known leagues (just to allow an influx of teams with high enough TV to fill gaps).

Zoraster
02-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Isn’t any difference imo. The lack of context is the important thing; the coach will be playing his team to develop rather than to win. Whereas in a league game the hand off to the black orc will be the intention that might have to be abandoned due to lack of rerolls and defensive pressure in a farming game you’ll always go for it as the result is irrelevant. If it goes wrong you can simply play another game :)

grinn
02-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Agreed on the lack of context. The difference is the degree of control one has in rigged (for want of a better word) matches VS non. In a rigged game the BO gets as many goes as the player has re-rolls. In a non rigged game this is much harder. Of course, if one has time than that can be surmounted - but importantly your team is getting damaged whereas in a rigged game they arent.

So imposing a limit of training games (say 2 or 3) between seasons in challenge league will make the situation more controllable.

duff
02-10-2011, 03:32 PM
In a proper game, if I'm really trying I might get 1 TD with a saurus. In a rigged game he can splat snotlings all day long and then when the other guy concedes he gets 2 shots at MVP. I just think its very unfair on those guys who don't have time or someone willing to make a snotling team.

groovychainsaw
02-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Weds at 13.00 should be fine zor, I'll post in here if I need to change

Jolima
02-10-2011, 05:03 PM
We'll set up some clearer guidelines for the end of next season. My idea has been that all training games should at least be played against an opponent who is intent on winning. Keep discussing if you want, to see if we can come to an agreement.

And Arni, please keep playing. There were no clear rules about it and expectations were different is all.

In happier news, I played the first league-game against LowKey's Nurgle and won with 4-0. Well, happy news for me at least. :-)

Jiiiiim
02-10-2011, 05:27 PM
One of the leagues I'm in has the rule that between seasons you're allowed one friendly but it has to be against another team from the leagues. So both players are sort of going for development, it's not going to be as cut-throat as the actual league matches, but nobody really wants their rivals to pull ahead.

(Personally I was trying to get some fairly gentle practice games but got repeatedly clobbered by Ian's elves :P)

LowKey
02-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Ellllvvvvvveeeeesssss >:(

laneford
02-10-2011, 05:57 PM
New spreadsheet am confusing!
However I strongly suspect I am supposed to be playing that Laneford fella next. Are we still organising matches in this thread or doing some sort of group thingery like the Divisions are doing?

Laneford, when would you like to play our top* of the table clash?

(*at least until someone else plays)

Allo sir, I believe I could probably manage a game later tonight, otherwise any day from Tuesday on with a bit of notice...

Arnisarus
02-10-2011, 06:33 PM
okay, fair enough. No further matches will be played against snotlings my friends :) i will use a new team next time they get slaughtered haha.

Appologies to anyone who took offence :)

President Weasel
02-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Allo sir, I believe I could probably manage a game later tonight, otherwise any day from Tuesday on with a bit of notice...

Sunday is Arma night and so is Tuesday so how's about Wednesday at 20 o'clock?

duff
02-10-2011, 09:10 PM
okay, fair enough. No further matches will be played against snotlings my friends :) i will use a new team next time they get slaughtered haha.

Appologies to anyone who took offence :)

Not good enough. I want BLOOD!

ChainsawHands
02-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Alright Mr Hands, ready when you are.

Oh god, Chaos, oh god. Thursday night around 8pm?

Arnisarus
02-10-2011, 10:39 PM
im sure there will be time for that when we play each other :D

Jiiiiim
02-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Thursday night it is. Gives me time to get a will ready.

Indefatigible Snoozer
03-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Ok, call me dumb but i can't work out who my first opponent is from the spreadsheet? Or can you only see it by logging on?
In any event, if my first opponent (I'm Mommy's Boys) could identify themself and state whether the would be available this evening after 8pm GMT, or otherwise during the rest of the week after 9pm GMT, that would be most illuminating.

grinn
03-10-2011, 08:27 AM
You're playing potato no?

mrpier
03-10-2011, 09:02 AM
I think I'm playing arnisaurus first, and I think I can see that in the spreadsheet because of the dash "-", is that correct?

grinn
03-10-2011, 09:08 AM
That's how I understand it yes.

Screwie
03-10-2011, 09:24 AM
After my catastrophic goblin game in the DoD, I conceded a not-nearly-so-bad loss to Ian in my premier Open match. My goblins lost 1-0 to the lizards.

Still, Nuffle still has something against me as my goblins repeatedly double-failed their Dodge rolls and one of my trolls tried (and fortunately failed) to eat one of my goblins in three consecutive TTM attempts. The same troll! I really should feed him before the game, I guess.

Ian
03-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Yeah, the score might've been higher (purely because my luck was very good) only that I was trying to abuse my dice even more by getting my kroxigor some SPP. He scored the winning touchdown but wouldn't pick up the ball to make it 2-0.

I think the key moments of the game came pretty early. I injured his chainsaw and removed the fanatic relatively early. His best secret weapon by far was the bombardier.

ChainsawHands
03-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Personally I've always maintained new teams should be rookie teams but I know internet coaches have never quite grasped that is how the game is normally played on TT. I have to say allowing teams to rebuild between seasons really takes away from the game though; a large part of BB is walking the line between protecting your valuable assets and utilising them to win games, along with developing players while trying to win games and hurt your opponents long term prospects. Take all that away and dead rubbers become totally meaningless games.I second this -starting with new teams and no matches between seasons is the way of Nuffle.

Ian
03-10-2011, 02:54 PM
I know internet coaches have never quite grasped that is how the game is normally played on TT.

Or alternatively exercise their right to not give a shit and pick leagues to play in that align with their preferences. Because there are enough people playing leagues in different set-ups that nobody has any excuse for playing in a league that uses rules they don't care for.

I've played in various leagues that allow rebuilding between seasons and ones that allow none or close to it and honestly have no preference either way so long as the participants enjoy it and thus play more enjoyable games. I've had some success that I've barely enjoyed in those no-rebuilding leagues when I've been against a bunch of people who got a dicing they could do nothing about in previous games and my team was just in much better nick. And I've had "bad" seasons in leagues that allow training games where I've lost most weeks but thoroughly enjoyed myself because the healthy teams have meant competetive matches.

I wouldn't personally play against a team full of snotlings to boost my progression* but nor would I exclude somebody from playing in a league because they're not willing to play a few months of soul-destroying Blood Bowl as punishment for having been diced in a previous game/season. Not if the rules when they joined (or at least before the build-up to the current season) didn't explicitly demand it.

And it certainly strikes me as a bit unfair to criticise somebody for not adhering to a standard that hadn't been set.

* Well, I did for a league on FUMBBL when the admin asked me to because they had a minimum TV limit everyone had to meet and a start date set and that was the quickest way to build me and a couple of other teams up. But even then the league had a theme in which parity is important so I could make my peace with it.

EDIT: Meant to say that Jolima has taken the right course of action anyway, saying there can be proper discussion/final decision at the end of the season.

duff
03-10-2011, 03:45 PM
And it certainly strikes me as a bit unfair to criticise somebody for not adhering to a standard that hadn't been set.
I didn't mean to criticize Arni individually, but try to clarify what was going on and the rules for the future. When I said I thought it was unfair - I meant that kind of farming in general, rather than Arni's use of it... if that makes sense.

EDIT: I knew that Arni's team was pretty decimated and ummed and ahhed about saying anything but thought it was worth clarifying the situation as from what I understood Jolima was just allowing us to play one or two actual games against each other.

Ian
03-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Fair enough. Certainly it was worth bringing up as there're obviously a few people with an issue with the (lack of) guidlines on the matter.

Arnisarus
03-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Dorris !... Where's my pitch fork i want to join in with the rebellion....

Wait ... wait... i think i'm confused :)

Anyway it seems those games which i have now cleverly wiped from everyones mind *waves hand does jedi mind trick* are a bit controversial. but suffice to say the wont happen again i already feel guilty as it is*. Lets get some bloodbowl action going.

*this is in no part based of what you guys are saying its just that my sexy St4 wd got a double on the time she went up, so now i feel real bad for doing it. Her life span will be measured in minutes i imagine :)

duff
03-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Theres no need to feel guilty as there were no clear rules against it. I personally (rightly or wrongly) thought it was a big no no and so (perhaps overzealously?) brought the issue up. Anyway I think we've wasted enough words on what was really a non-issue and simply clarifying the rules. I would hate to bring drama to what has been a splendid league to play in.*

*If this does actually qualify as drama I think its a testament to the players that this is the worst we've had!

EDIT: And lastly just to clarify: I was mainly talking about the type of farming where one person just puts all the SPP on their hard to level players. What Arni did was just getting SPP splattered over his horribly crushed team. As oppossed to taking an already strong team and farming SPP on the big guy / low agi guys etc.

Vexing Vision
03-10-2011, 06:37 PM
A wildly elfy match against Nullkigan's scary "I have two billion skills" Norse went 3-2 to me.

With 80k inducements, the Dancers would have picked a mercenary if they weren't so bloody expensive. Instead, we bought a Bloodweiser Babe and a keg of ale that would go entirely to waste for the entire game.

A high kick is followed by an aggressive push forward by the Dark Elves.

From the beginning, the Norse pressure the dark elves but fail to really get into the fray, but finally manage to corner them for a rough pummelling in turn 4 - but the high dexterity elves break free, grab the ball and make a pass to a waiting witch elf at the touchdown line.

Unable to stop the advancing Norse in any significant way, turn 6 sees the 1-1, leaving time for a two turner for the Elves. They aggressively push forward and... fail a dodge by rolling two 1s. Thanks to Jump Uppy Witch Elf and after some adventurous dodging, a successful hand-off and a medium pass, we manage to make the 2-1 in the first half after all.

Turn 8 also sees the first player unable to continue playing... a Norse gets sent off by the ref after an attempted foul.

The second half is a bit livelier and also sees the first KO (a norse lineman) followed by the very first injury (a badly hurt line elf). In the meantime, the Bloodweiser Babes are getting bored and have finished the first cask on their own. Which is fine, because the second half sees people sent of straight away instead of being nursed back to health by beer.

The elves lick blood. And badly hurt a thrower (which the apothecary puts up on his feet instantly) while knocking out a second lineman. A runner runs off with the ball, gets blitzed and dumps it off to a Witch Elf the Norse can't stop. 3-1 for the Dark Elves in Turn 12.

The fans, enjoying the sight, grant a reroll to both teams. Encouraged, the Norse slightly hurt another of the fragile elves of the line. Using their minor numerical advantage, the elves begin to draw a tight net around the remaining Norse in an attempt to deny them another touchdown.

Which breaks down instantly, with the by now exhausted elves getting stunned at the slightest tender Werewolf touch.
Turn 15 sees a desperate pass into an emtpy quarter near the elves' touchdown line - but in the nervousness, the catch fails.

One of the Witches sends a Werewolf crowdsurfing, to be rewarded with a smashed hip. In retaliation, the Norse reclaim the ball in turn 16 and despite a lack of rerolls make a grab and a GFI to score the final 3-2.

The Norse were dominating for most of the match but couldn't keep the agile elves locked down. The Yethee was a scary beast that refused to fail all but one Wild Animal roll, even if it was just to wander around looking curiously at the food next to it.

drawlien
03-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Right, Madame Drawlien...

To be a pain in the proverbial ass, I'm on holiday from Wednesday for 2 weeks (back on 19th) so I need to get our game in quick and I think Mon/Tues will be crazy busy at work. I'm playing Duff in the DoD at 6pm but could squeeze you in before that?

Hey, I sent you a PM too but I can basically do this evening or anytime during the day on Wednesday. Either O.K.?

Ian
04-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Oh, were we meant to be being internet dramatic? Well. Something about your mum, Duff.

Take that!

potatoedoughnut
04-10-2011, 03:53 AM
Ok, call me dumb but i can't work out who my first opponent is from the spreadsheet? Or can you only see it by logging on?
In any event, if my first opponent (I'm Mommy's Boys) could identify themself and state whether the would be available this evening after 8pm GMT, or otherwise during the rest of the week after 9pm GMT, that would be most illuminating.

Hey Snoozer, I believe we're up first round. I might be able to do Wednesday afternoon (my time, GMT-7), but the weekend is probably the easiest time for us to line up schedules. I'll try and catch you on steam to arrange something.

Arnisarus
04-10-2011, 09:12 AM
So Mr Pier, high elves vs wood elves, this should be a relatively fair game of throw ball should it not ?

When are you free?

mrpier
04-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Arnisaurus - Well, I'll get a nice pile of inducements that's for sure. :-) I should be free tonight, probably not tomorrow or thursday though, the weekend seems to be mostly free also. I can play between 5-8 pm tonight, and I am quite a bit more flexible in the weekend.

Indefatigible Snoozer
04-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Mr P Doughnut - I think the weekend is going to have to be the time. You're US West Coast? So we could do your Saturday or Sunday morning (my Sat/Sun afternoon) or late your Friday/Sat night (my Sat/Sun morning). Your Sat/Sun morning is probably the better option, but let me know what you'd prefer.
Regards

I Snoozer

Arnisarus
04-10-2011, 11:54 AM
i wil get hom about 6:30 ish, ready for a game by 7 will this be too late for you ?

mrpier
04-10-2011, 12:06 PM
That should be fine.

duff
04-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Oh, were we meant to be being internet dramatic? Well. Something about your mum, Duff.

Take that!

Don't you dare bring mummyduff into this.

potatoedoughnut
04-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Mr P Doughnut - I think the weekend is going to have to be the time. You're US West Coast? So we could do your Saturday or Sunday morning (my Sat/Sun afternoon) or late your Friday/Sat night (my Sat/Sun morning). Your Sat/Sun morning is probably the better option, but let me know what you'd prefer.
Regards

I Snoozer

US Mountain time, but close enough. Sat or Sun morning would probably work best. Let's plan for Sat morning for now, I'll let you know if my plans change.

Arnisarus
05-10-2011, 11:08 AM
My snotling enhanced, roided up Wood elves took to the field against Mr Piers brand spanking new high elves last night, it was a game of 2 halves, not surprisingly there was 8 turns in each.

Being that my woodies are the current enhanced editions and the high elves were brand new Mr Pier had a loving 820 k to play with on inducements and took a veritable list of nastiness, there was a wizard, a bribe, a keg or 2 of ale, eldril sindwinder and a couple of re rolls, possibly something else but my brain is addled by the 2 hours of work I’ve done today.

Kick off! , the dancing elves kick to some more elves wearing armour, a completely off the mark kick sees the ball end up in the LOS, I thought this would be most fortunate for me, however the ball managed to make it all the way deep in the high elf half by the end of their first turn. A bit of bashing from the war dancer of death saw eldril knocked out for right from the start.

A bit of shoving and hugging later and there was an injury on my brand new elf lineman who now limps everywhere, suffice to say a sweet gaggle of AV 7 elves was too good for the young wizard to miss. Luckily for the woodies only one elf got injured the rest just down or unharmed, bar the smoke inhalation. A remarkable failure on a dodge roll (causing another injury for my woodies) sees the high elves 2 turns from a TD. Unfortunately the war dancer from hell was still in range and following mightywood - the useless tree actually completing a successful multiple block, she managed to push the ball out of the field, the crowd throw it back in mid pitch in range of a line elf who makes the pickup, the elf is then promptly pummelled by 2 high elves! And the ball is on the ground guarded by 2. Eventually the guard is broken and a dancer picks up the ball, helped by a rough cage there’s no way for the high elves to stop the TD.

1 – 0 to Dar Wance – HALFTIME!

The second half was less dramatic, except the first turn in which mightywood the incredibly useless tree manages to roll double skulls and fail his loner test. This caused a hairy turn where the High elves got very close to the ball with not many woodies to do a lot about it, a bit of lucky blitzing later along with a successful pass sees a WD go out of range way up in the high elf half. The rest of the game turned into an attempt at getting to the war dancer by Mr Pier, who I must say towards the end of the game got very unlucky, by all rights it should have ended 1 – 0 or possibly 1 – 1 if luck had been with him, as it was nuffle decided the new team shouldn’t be given a draw and let me walk in the TD with a war dancer.

2 – 0 to Dar Wance – Full time

Suffice to say Mr Pier won’t be choosing Eldril Sindwinder again. My team is also now 70 TV down after my first game :) at least its only a one match sit out

Screwie
05-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Nice report. I can't help but imagine "snotling-enhanced" as the wood elves taping live snotlings to themselves as additional armour. :)

Eldril is a bit of a problem, being lightly armoured. His Hypnotic Gaze is marvellous though.

Although personally I really don't like taking any star player designed as a runner/catcher, for fear of them stealing my SPPs. If only Cyanide had included more bashy star players instead... Mighty Zug and Hubris Rakarth are both tremendous oversights, whereas Scrappa Sorehead is a waste of space.

Arnisarus
05-10-2011, 12:00 PM
yes in the late game when Edril actually managed to stand up longer than 30 seconds the hypnotic gaze was put to good use, unfortunately luck was just not with the high elves

mrpier
05-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Yeah, Eldril didn't carry his weight in this match, although I did get some use out of his hypnotic gaze in the last few turns and came very close to getting his ball carrying war dancer out of bounds, I even got two tries in consecutive turns, with a failed one dice block and a failed dodge tripping my blitzer up respectively. Otherwise it was very much a deserved win to Arnisaurus, where I felt the best measure of how much better his team was, was that in turn 6 I had used up all five of my rerolls and he had used one of his two. :-)

drawlien
05-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Looks like HughTower and I missed our opportunity for a game. I guess I'll put a draw in the sheet...

groovychainsaw
05-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Hi Zor, going to be a few minutes late for our game, sorry! Plumbing emergency, turning the water off should fix it :-)

Zoraster
05-10-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm guessing it has turned out a bit more tricky than expected :) Seems to be a bit of an RPS Open theme as I was on the other side of the equation a while ago.

Sadly I'm now at the end of my start window so we'll have to try again later. Sunday mornings are usually pretty good for you aren't they?

groovychainsaw
05-10-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm here now? And im still free tomorrow and friday daytime if that helps? If not, sunday morning should sitll be good :-)

Zoraster
05-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Bah, must have just missed you. Crisis averted?

Let us say Sunday morning, say 11:00? I'm trying to keep as many options available for imrk as possible for our divisions match and the early morning game/late start to working day won't be possible if I play you tomorrow or Friday. Sunday remains the most likely date for that game but as that'll be 03:00 his time I doubt it would have been an option :D

Zoraster
05-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Sods law in action: teleconference got cancelled at the last minute. The annoying thing is they would have known around lunchtime but just never bothered telling me. Gits. Tempted to add an extra 0 to the end of my fee now :)

President Weasel
05-10-2011, 09:51 PM
The RPS Open!

The Division with me and Laneford in it!

8 o'clock UK time!

An exciting quite near the top of the table clash between Orcs and Elves!

I kicked off.

Laneford scored an elfy, elfy touchdown in two turns.

I scored an orcy, orcy touchdown in the remaining 6 turns.

Laneford kicked off with just 7 elves from his initial 13 on the pitch due to a combination of heat exhaustion and orcs. I had 9 standing from my initial 13 due to being a bit tired from the heat and all the punching of elves.

1-1 at the restart, Laneford kicking to me, the whole second half to grind out one touchdown against outnumbered elves. The win's in the bag!

Laneford got a couple of elves through to pressure the ball. I scooped it up and, being a bit short at the back but having the elves pretty well covered in the middle, decided to try a 4+ pass to a blitzer. 4+ to pass it with a reroll from pass, and 3+ to catch it with a team reroll. Not bad odds, and if I failed the catch I'd still have a blitzer over the ball.

The ball flew through the air and dropped a couple of squares away from the blitzer. One of Laneford's elves did a ridiculous dodge and scooped the ball up, and a long crossfield pass into the arms of a lightly marked nerves of steel catcher, who caught it and ran over the line. Crap!
Still, 6 turns to go, outnumbered elves, grind out a touchdown in 6 turns, etc and so on, the draw's in the bag!

Laneford got some elves back, got a blitz, ran round or through my line, pressured the ball, then next turn blocked away the only player I could get over the ball, grabbed it, touch down.

I ground out a touchdown in the remaining turns, hurt a couple more elves, and gg'd Laneford, all the while thinking "the win was in the bag..."

Stupid bag.

potatoedoughnut
06-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Hi Snoozer, Sat morning is looking unlikely. Sun morning would probably work better, does that work for you? (Morning my time/afternoon-ish for you).

Indefatigible Snoozer
06-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Potatoe - If you can make Saturday it would be better - it can be pretty late my time. Otherwise Sunday afternoon is possible, though the setting of an exact time will help.

groovychainsaw
06-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Hi Zor, just going back, any chance you can do any earlier on sunday? I may be out for sunday lunch and an earlier start (9:30-10am?) would be helpful...?

Zoraster
06-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Sure thing Groovy, although a bit earlier would be better from my end if you could manage 9? If not 09:30 will be fine. I can go as early as you want though so 7 is an option if you wanted it :)

groovychainsaw
06-10-2011, 05:40 PM
7 on a sunday might be pushing it :-). I'll see how quickly i can get on after 9, but i should definitely be on by 9:30

Jiiiiim
06-10-2011, 07:11 PM
I've added you on Steam, chainsawhands. Pop on there and give me a shout when you're ready to play

duff
06-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Played a great fun and close match against Grinn today. My lizzies managed to overcome his orcs 2-1. There was a lot of bashing but surprisingly only one badly hurt orc and a dead skink.

ChainsawHands
06-10-2011, 10:12 PM
An... interesting start for the Horny Goats against Jiiiiim's Ultimate Maths Squad, as the injuries on the human team gave them enough inducements to get Morg N Thorg and Zara the Slayer. Not what you want to see.

In the end though, the Goats kicked off and, despite the best efforts of the kick-off events, managed a fairly standard 2-1 grind. Zara stabbed one beastman into Badly Hurt status, and the human apothecary turned a fouled player's injuries from fatal to inconsequential, but those were the only injuries.

Thanks to Jiiiiim for the game.

Jiiiiim
06-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Lost 2-1 to Hands' Chaos just now, I was 700-odd down in TV so brought along Morg and Zara and they did keep me in the game. My plan was basically to prevent any players being in contact with his and I did this reasonably well in the first half but didn't have a good enough defensive line. That ended 1-1.

The second half was a lot better, defensively, and barring a messed up dodge and/or that time Morg got double skulls and refused the reroll, I could have stopped him, I think. Alas, such things happen and 'Hands got his T15 touchdown to make it 2-1. My last-ditch attempt to scamper a draw failed.

The game was mainly notable for his minotaur basically spending the entire game yelling at thin air. Still, no casualties and I am at least in *some* shape for the next game.

potatoedoughnut
07-10-2011, 02:21 AM
Potatoe - If you can make Saturday it would be better - it can be pretty late my time. Otherwise Sunday afternoon is possible, though the setting of an exact time will help.

Snoozer - I can do sometime 11-1 (6-8 your time) start time on Saturday probably. Sunday I can do like 9-11 (4-6) start time. This week/weekend are unfortunately quite busy for me :(. I might be able to do a Sunday morning (your time) game (early am my time) if the other times don't work.

Indefatigible Snoozer
08-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Let's aim for 11am today (6pm my time) and if it doesn't work we'll try again tomorrow.

potatoedoughnut
08-10-2011, 09:47 AM
Let's aim for 11am today (6pm my time) and if it doesn't work we'll try again tomorrow.

Ok that sounds good. Just got home, going to take a nap, then we'll play at 11/6.

Indefatigible Snoozer
08-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Hey, sorry, can't do tonight, but can definitely do 9am/4pm tomorrow. Sorry for the reschedule.

Arnisarus
09-10-2011, 11:31 AM
who ever i'm due to play next im in London all next week with no useful pc to play bloodbowl on, but wil back back on sat, so can you play then? :)

President Weasel
09-10-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm the opposite - I am way starting Saturday 15th for a week, so I'd like to get my game in before then. Depends when the round ends, I guess; I'll be back before round 3 starts anyway, buy the look of things.

grinn
09-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Hey Arni, you're playing me next. I m leaving for a work trip on Wednesday so was going to see if you could play before that. Looks like that's not a possibility? I could play tonight if the roll-over happens before that.

Arnisarus
09-10-2011, 03:41 PM
yea not going to be possible before that unless it is tonight, ill be around on steam if your free to play and the leagues rolled on.

grinn
09-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Ok tonight should be good for me as well. Will hop in to check around 9pm gmt.

Vexing Vision
09-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Sir Duff Sir, it seems your extraordinarily bashy Lizard Team is up against my poor, defenceless little elves. This may delight you, though it does not delight me.

I would greatly appreciate if we could get said bash-feast over with before next week's Saturday, as I'm a bit on a tight schedule and intend to spend an entire week (!) without Bloodbowl.

potatoedoughnut
09-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Indefatigible Snoozer and I played our match, 1-0 win for his Khemri against my Undead.

The injury line really tells it all:
The Undead suffered 4KOs, 7 Cas (3 regenned, 1 career ender), and 1 Dead
The Khemri suffered 1 Cas (regenned)

GG IS, very well played. Good luck with the rest of your season.

Jolima
09-10-2011, 06:14 PM
And that's the last of the matches played. Round two is started and marked up in the spreadsheet. The next deadline, which is a strict one, is Saturday the 22nd.

Laneford, we're playing next. Sometime next weekend would probably be best for me.

President Weasel
09-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Screwie, I'd like to play before I go away on Saturday, can you make an evening this week?

Screwie
09-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Sure, I can do Monday, Thursday or Friday after 8pm.

President Weasel
09-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Let's play on Monday about 10 minutes past 8 then.

Jiiiiim
09-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Hello Zoroaster. How is Tuesday.

grinn
09-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Hey Arni, have guests for dinner over now - can play after. around 10pm uk time. that ok?
maybe before. can you add me on steam - cant find you...

laneford
09-10-2011, 07:49 PM
And that's the last of the matches played. Round two is started and marked up in the spreadsheet. The next deadline, which is a strict one, is Saturday the 22nd.

Laneford, we're playing next. Sometime next weekend would probably be best for me.

Weekend is quite tricky, but I should be able to do Saturday daytime if that's any good for you?

Jolima
09-10-2011, 08:17 PM
I can do one of Tue,Wed,Thu evening instead if that's better? Wednesday at 7 perhaps?

Indefatigible Snoozer
09-10-2011, 08:57 PM
The omens were not good for Potatoe's team, with both teams turning up to the game in their traditional blood red jerseys - Abracadavar, being the away team, was required to change into an unflattering shroud-white. Somewhat appropriate, as at least one of his team would be (re)buried in it.

Billed as the game to decide who was the undeadliest of them all, the Undead elected to kick to the Khemri. The kick went deep, and the Khemri formed a strong line across the pitch. I collected the ball, and slowly moved it up the pitch. Two scrums slowly developed on the left and right, and a couple of lucky casualties (including a BH Mummy that didn't regen) opened up a hole in the middle which the ball carrying skele was able to slip through, scoring on turn 8.

Second half didn't go much better for the Undead. The ball was retrieved by Potatoe's 5 Agi Ghoul. who waited deep, looking for a gap, or even a receiver. Two ghouls tried to break through the lines, only to be pounced upon by some tackle skeletons. Unable to wait any longer, the Undead made a break down the left flank when a small hole opened up, only for the ball carrier to be knocked down. Agi 5 wasn't sufficient to retrieve the ball on two occasions, while elsewhere the casualty count started to stack against the Undead. The ball skittered loose, into the arms of a surprised Khemri skeleton, who attempted to make his way up the field, only to be knocked down at the half way mark. The ball rolled out of bounds, and was thrown in close the Undead line. The Khemri bolted down the field to try and make the 2nd TD, but the whole thing ended anti-climatically with a Thro-Ra failing to pick up the ball within sight of the line on two separate occasions.

The Undead gave a good showing, but the mounting casualties became too serious issue to overcome. GG Mr Doughnut.

Arnisarus
09-10-2011, 09:07 PM
okay ill play some nba :P give me a shout on steam when your free

grinn
09-10-2011, 09:20 PM
what's your steam name... cant find you

Zoraster
09-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Jiiiiim: I have a BB sized gap in my schedule on Tuesday, but it is a tight window. Could do 19:00-19:15 start, possibly pushing it to 19:30 but that will be the absolute latest I can do. Any good for you?

Jiiiiim
09-10-2011, 10:06 PM
yeah that's fine.

Zoraster
09-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Fast response time there boss :) You've destroyed my 120 second record!

Nullkigan
09-10-2011, 10:27 PM
MrPier, huh? I'm busy Wednesday morning (10:00-13:00) but can otherwise make some room whenever you are free.

Arnisarus
09-10-2011, 11:10 PM
So nuffle has decreed that anyone who levels thier team using snotlings shall pay!

Just played Griins Orcs (actually still playing), evidently the amount of mighty blow and tackle on that team is very much to bad for elves. My team is thus so badly mauled that i will be dropping out of the league. Sorry guys but it seems its not meant to be for my little elves.

I think im down 5 players for my next game with my wardancer from hell also dead, putting me below what i was before i even did the snotling thing haha.

Sorry guys but at this tv level i would just be meat for the grinder at this much of a reduced team.

it's kind of a good thing for me really as work will be hecic in the next few months.

thanks for all the games guys, if need be i can see if my bro RageKage wants to take over and join with a team ?

duff
09-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Only if he brings his snotling team!

That sucks arni, are you sure we can't persuade you to stay? I remember last season your team was pretty mauled but still gave me a damn good game.

Arnisarus
09-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Last season it was mauled, this season its destroyed. I relied on the one WD to keep me afloat last season, as shes now dead i have a very mediocre half of a team, at such a low tv that its just not even worth it. Woodies are not halflings :)

grinn
09-10-2011, 11:38 PM
Hey Arni, once again apologies for demoloshing your team. With those strength boosts and wardancer from hell it was the only way I could think of having a chance to win. Your uber wardancer slipping and breaking his neck on his own dodge was ridiculously unlucky.
Hope to see you again next season!

mrpier
10-10-2011, 06:42 AM
Nullkigan - How about tonight then? Say 7 pm?

Nullkigan
10-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Sure thing.

Vexing Vision
10-10-2011, 10:58 AM
So, Duffin? How often will I have to beg and plead for you to ignore my cries of mercy?

President Weasel
10-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Even woodie linelf journeymen loners can throw, pass, and dodge with fair reliability. You can always buy a new wardancer in a game or two. Make this season one about struggle against adversity, where every draw is a victory and any victory feels like winning the league.

It doesn;t have to be about challenging for the overwall winner position; you can still have fun while losing. I know I do.

duff
10-10-2011, 12:07 PM
So, Duffin? How often will I have to beg and plead for you to ignore my cries of mercy? I could play most of today and tonight, otherwise I can't play until sometime on Thur / Fri / Sat. Any of those tickle your fancy?

@ Pweasel - yeh rookie wardancers are ridiculously good.

Screwie
10-10-2011, 12:10 PM
It doesn;t have to be about challenging for the overwall winner position; you can still have fun while losing. I know I do.

Then you'll really enjoy tonight! (Ohyesiwentthere)

Although I generally agree with PW's sentiment, I can see where Arni is coming from. Getting your team smashed down to a point where all your hard work is lost and you have to start over - when in fact starting over might be faster - it can be hard to stomach.

mrpier
10-10-2011, 12:25 PM
My fabulously unskilled high elves will hold the "have fun while losing torch" high in tonights game against nullkigans norse then. (I'm secretly and most likely futilely hoping to win of course)

Vexing Vision
10-10-2011, 12:32 PM
I could play most of today and tonight, otherwise I can't play until sometime on Thur / Fri / Sat. Any of those tickle your fancy?

@ Pweasel - yeh rookie wardancers are ridiculously good.

Tonight sounds like a proper tickle. Will 10pm UK time work for you?

LowKey
10-10-2011, 01:14 PM
superchainsawhands I think we are playing next, I can do most of the week so when ever suits you

groovychainsaw
10-10-2011, 01:42 PM
IAN! We must play! I am free tonight (barring my divisions game starting up tonight), how are you set? If not, I'm around every day/mnight until thurs, then I'm off til next monday. Whaddya say?

Ian
10-10-2011, 03:06 PM
I can do tonight. Probably be available some time after 7.30?

duff
10-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Tonight sounds like a proper tickle. Will 10pm UK time work for you?

I can do 10 tonight, but it would be just fabulous if we could begin around 9.30. If not I still love you.

Vexing Vision
10-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Okay. For you, I will throw down work early and tell my boss I have to go and punch people for love and pleasure and everything else that's sticky. Like blood, I mean.

Can't promise, but will try. Add me on Steam and challenge me once I pop up?
It's surprisingly, "Vexing Vision". I try to be consistent nowadays.

Ian
10-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Get a room, you two.

duff
10-10-2011, 03:35 PM
VV - It's not that important so don't get in any trouble. 10 is fine if you have stuff on.

edit: cant find you on steam sweetcheeks.

edit: ohhh I've got you now.

groovychainsaw
10-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Tonight sounds ace, Ian, its on.

Arnisarus
10-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Even woodie linelf journeymen loners can throw, pass, and dodge with fair reliability. You can always buy a new wardancer in a game or two. Make this season one about struggle against adversity, where every draw is a victory and any victory feels like winning the league.

Honestly losing with an orc team is fine, because you can have some fun bashing people around, it's what they do :)

Using journeymen and brand new rookies of AV 7 at the majority of the TV level we have is suicidal. I'd consider changing teams but will obviously have to wait for the new season.

And will need to see what teams are up, i think i'll shy away from the incredibly frail teams or just go silly and play ogres :)

Vexing Vision
10-10-2011, 04:43 PM
VV - It's not that important so don't get in any trouble. 10 is fine if you have stuff on.

edit: cant find you on steam sweetcheeks.

edit: ohhh I've got you now.

That's okay. I talked with her. Now, she wants your phonenumber and address and also informs you that you'll never get a job again in this country, but I should make 21:30 GMT.

President Weasel
10-10-2011, 05:10 PM
So are you just stopping, and letting your scheduled opponents have a 2-0 win and a week without blood bowl? I suppose it's better admitting that than letting us work it out for ourselves like Khryses did, but I still don't understand your need to win. Just treat them like handicap challenge matches, and feel like the King of the Coaches when your depleted team pulls off a hard-fought draw.

drawlien
10-10-2011, 08:09 PM
So Indefatigable Snoozer when would you like to play? I can do any time up to 8.30pm Wednesday, 6.30-8.30pm Thursday or sometime on Saturday afternoon/early evening.

laneford
10-10-2011, 08:50 PM
I can do one of Tue,Wed,Thu evening instead if that's better? Wednesday at 7 perhaps?

Sounds purrrrrfect.

ChainsawHands
10-10-2011, 09:18 PM
superchainsawhands I think we are playing next, I can do most of the week so when ever suits you
Would next Monday around 8pm work?

Screwie
10-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Astounding game against PW tonight. Just crazy.

President Weasel
10-10-2011, 10:47 PM
The RPS Open!

A Bit After 8 pm! (after I got my curry delivered and Screwie got something to eat)

President Weasel's Orcs vs Screwie's Goblins!

A nice start for me as I used a blitz and a piling on to injure Screwie's pogo stick goblin.
Then disaster struck! The game got desynched and we had to start again.
Screwie kindly agreed to kick off again to match the initial conditions of the first match, but surely I couldn't get such a good start again?

I couldn't.

This time, I injured his pogo stick goblin and took a troll out of the match too.
Things snowballed from there, and for the first time ever in the Open I cleared the field. Half of Screwie's team were injured including a troll, with the other troll and Ripper, the big blue git, and about 4 goblins plus the chainsaw and bomb thrower only KO'd. My stomach sank as every single one of them bounced right back up again after I scored in turn 7.

Screwie scored a one turn touchdown. This made the game all square, but all of Screwie's fiendish secret weapons were now sent off, leaving him with most of a team's worth of goblins and a couple of trolls against a full team of orcs who, for the second game in a row, had started to believe they could actually win the match for the first time in over a season.

I kicked off.
Screwie went to his right with the big blue git in close attendance ready for the throw (did you know Ripper doesn't have Really Stupid or Always Hungry? He's the perfect goblin thrower)
I smashed the ball carrier, the ball bouncing right into the arms of another goblin, put some tackle zones on Ripper and the ball carrier, tried to make it tricky for Screwie to just dodge through, and waited.
Ripper picked up the goblin to throw - and fumbled! Good work, tackle zones. The goblin landed back where he started. This was not a healthy place to be.

My strong arm +agi thrower grabbed the ball and threw it to a blitzer who got clear, while the rest of the orcs started kicking seven bells out of the goblins. Nuffle decided he did not want to be friends with Screwie, and the combination of mighty blow and tackle salted through my team did the rest. I am pretty sure there was a single solitary troll on the pitch at the end, but I came damn close to clearing it twice.
I ran in the touchdown for a cowardly 2-1 win at the end of turn 16 - after my last few games I wasn't going to be stupidly overconfident and spurn a certain victory, although I did hand off to my +agi black orc in about turn 14 in order to level him (he got +move)

I have to hand it to Screwie - even though the injury dice were even more against him than you'd expect in a goblins v mighty blow and tackle game he almost managed to take a 2-1 lead, and even though Nuffle was clearly messing with him he remained the model opponent throughout.

Better luck next game Screwie, I mean, how bad can Chainsaw's Chaos really be?

Oh.

Vexing Vision
10-10-2011, 11:01 PM
NINJA SKINK. I need a new Witch Elf. The Winning Bug now turned into a Draw Bug and I got 40k instead of 20, which meant I could afford one.

It was a 1-1 that felt like a 4-4.

duff
10-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Ninjaaaaaaaa skink YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!*

*By this I mean Witch Elf double skulls herself on said ninjaaaaa skink and DIES)

EDIT: Good game, but getting blitz on the kick off roll against elves is like sharing a jacuzzi with Steve Bruce. Not fun and your private space keeps getting invaded.

Zoraster
11-10-2011, 05:49 AM
Sorry guys but at this tv level i would just be meat for the grinder at this much of a reduced team.

Or you could remember there is no such thing as an uncompetitive match due to TV alone, and woodies in particular can be lethal underdogs. Bigger TV gaps are great; case in point if you find yourself with the magic 350k you can deploy the uber wardancer + hypnogaze + wizard combo, one of the most potent and entertaining defensive combinations in the game. No team can reliably protect the ball from even a rookie WD when supported by Eldril and wizard. You have to suffer bad luck not to make at least one good chance of a defensive score so you should have a safe draw with a win chance as often as not.

You need to get away from the TV obsessive mindset prevalent amongst internet coaches. TV deficit phobia is a product of old rule sets when it was a genuine issue. This is no longer the case. It now represents a free chance to tailor your side specifically to deal with your next opponent. Used well it can often be a bonus but youíll never learn how to take advantage if you donít ever try.

mrpier
11-10-2011, 08:23 AM
So, me and Nullkigan played our match, The only caard you need vs Insufferable, norse vs snotty elves, lots of block vs not much block. I was not looking forward to this game, especially after seeing his norse werewolf monster with +1ST and dodge, but no block/mighty blow, thank nuffle. I had 430K in inducements which I used on Zara and a wizard which worked out fairly well. I also had two mercs after injuries in my first match against arnisaurus.

First round I chose to kick, quite a lucky kick where the ball landed quite far back. I sent three elves through to try to pressure an early cage-formation after nullkigan failed his first pickup, his second pickup went much better and he formed up a cage in the middle of his side of the field. In the next round he formed up a very strong cage just shy of the middle of the field with seven players, reckoning this was too good an opportunity to be missed I tried my luck and launched a fireball at it, I think three or four norse in the cage went down and the ball landed next to one of my elves. After a pickup and a handoff to one of my blitzers, the blitzer was nearly clean free, just needed one GFI to avoid being blitzed next turn by nullkigans fearsome werewolf. Snowy weather and the icy field made him stumble and fall though. Next turn the werewolf came running, but luckily he fell on his ass too. My blitzer picked up the ball and went for it, nearly falling on the ice again, but a reroll saved him. 1-0 to Insufferable.

Second half I was down three players, one of the mercs had got a career-ending injury and I had another lineman in the penalty box for trying to foul nullkigans werewolf. I tried some halfhearted attempts to get the ball forward, but nullkigan shut me down, and I didn't get far in any of my schemes, inevitably nullkigan got hold of the ball and scored, 1-1, which turned out to be the final score. I received again, but it was all I could do to keep the ball from grubby norse-hands and standing my players up again after being knocked down, I had used up all my rerolls early in the half which limited the kind of plays I dared to do and almost all my elves were manmarked with one or two norse players.

Thanks for the game nullkigan, if it hadn't been for that lucky wizard you'd probably have had this game. I've got to say I'm more than happy with a draw from this game.

Ian
11-10-2011, 09:14 AM
While a brutalised team isn't as bad as it was in the previous rules, inducements still only take you so far if you're against an actually good team. The better the team you're against the less effective piles of inducement gold are unless you a) just try to ride the fuck out of your hired stars until you endure it long enough to someday maybe have the gold to afford being on a par with a rookie team again or b) hope that along with the inducements comes a healthy slice of misfortune for your opponent (especially if they're against protection-free elves) which allows you to score with what few of your own players you have.

That said, I don't know how battered Arni's team actually is. What would your starting XI for your next game look like, Arni? (In terms of how many journeymen you have, what players are MNG'd, etc.)

Anyway, GROOVY, I must postpone our planned biffage tonight. I have been invited to watch some foot-to-ball and eat pizza. Tomorrow?

President Weasel
11-10-2011, 09:22 AM
It's also what happens when you choose to play Wood Elves, and why I chose to stop playing them and choose something less spectacular and more durable. Most Wood Elf coaches will say you need to get used to rarely fielding a full team.

Ian
11-10-2011, 09:40 AM
This is true.

And also, even when I'm feeling my grumpiest over getting diced right in the face once the bad mood subsides I remind myself that this is what you get if you play a game with dice.

It's perfectly likely that you'll spend a game smacking the shit out of elves and not put one of the fuckers into the injury box and then the next game have your own AV7 brutalised by a stiff breeze and some extra heavy raindrops.

Nullkigan
11-10-2011, 11:22 AM
So, me and Nullkigan played our match, The only caard you need vs Insufferable, norse vs snotty elves, lots of block vs not much block. I was not looking forward to this game, especially after seeing his norse werewolf monster with +1ST and dodge, but no block/mighty blow, thank nuffle. I had 430K in inducements which I used on Zara and a wizard which worked out fairly well. I also had two mercs after injuries in my first match against arnisaurus.

First round I chose to kick, quite a lucky kick where the ball landed quite far back. I sent three elves through to try to pressure an early cage-formation after nullkigan failed his first pickup, his second pickup went much better and he formed up a cage in the middle of his side of the field. In the next round he formed up a very strong cage just shy of the middle of the field with seven players, reckoning this was too good an opportunity to be missed I tried my luck and launched a fireball at it, I think three or four norse in the cage went down and the ball landed next to one of my elves. After a pickup and a handoff to one of my blitzers, the blitzer was nearly clean free, just needed one GFI to avoid being blitzed next turn by nullkigans fearsome werewolf. Snowy weather and the icy field made him stumble and fall though. Next turn the werewolf came running, but luckily he fell on his ass too. My blitzer picked up the ball and went for it, nearly falling on the ice again, but a reroll saved him. 1-0 to Insufferable.

Second half I was down three players, one of the mercs had got a career-ending injury and I had another lineman in the penalty box for trying to foul nullkigans werewolf. I tried some halfhearted attempts to get the ball forward, but nullkigan shut me down, and I didn't get far in any of my schemes, inevitably nullkigan got hold of the ball and scored, 1-1, which turned out to be the final score. I received again, but it was all I could do to keep the ball from grubby norse-hands and standing my players up again after being knocked down, I had used up all my rerolls early in the half which limited the kind of plays I dared to do and almost all my elves were manmarked with one or two norse players.

Thanks for the game nullkigan, if it hadn't been for that lucky wizard you'd probably have had this game. I've got to say I'm more than happy with a draw from this game.

There were a shocking seven players in that cage. The wizard knocked down 5 of which 4 were stunned. Amazingly effective AND ineffective.

I was lucky enough to cause early casualties (and especially to foul Zara out of the equation, given my AV 7), which is about the only thing that let me compete. I made several mistakes and the only thing that kept you from hammering me was my numerical and skill advantage :)

I also learned a few tricks for effective netting, so overall I can't complain about the result either.

LowKey
11-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Would next Monday around 8pm work?

not a problem pal, see you then

groovychainsaw
11-10-2011, 11:41 AM
//Edited for stupidity - damn BB threads all confused...//

duff
11-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Wrong thread babe!

President Weasel
11-10-2011, 01:50 PM
This is true.

And also, even when I'm feeling my grumpiest over getting diced right in the face once the bad mood subsides I remind myself that this is what you get if you play a game with dice.

It's perfectly likely that you'll spend a game smacking the shit out of elves and not put one of the fuckers into the injury box and then the next game have your own AV7 brutalised by a stiff breeze and some extra heavy raindrops.

However, when I have my inevitable "why won't [insert AV7 team here] break?!" moments this season, I will have to remind myself of yesterday when Screwies goblins got comprehensively injury-diced. (And also when the 1+ pass, 3+ catch I needed to give myself a good chance of winning actually didn't go wrong).

Arnisarus
11-10-2011, 03:55 PM
I have no issues with staying in until the end of the season if thats what people want me to do, i have no intention of keeping the team however so this will completely kill of any interest i have in playing them, making the game fairly dull for me :) but as you said i would be causing some simple 0 - 2 wins to people which should be avoided.

They will more likely be 0 - 4 wins instead :D

in answer to the question on how destroyed my team is for the next game, i believe i can field 7 players not sure off the top of my head.

I'll look to drop out at the end of the season and stick to just playing in DoD as my time will be more limited in the coming months.

Again sorry guys, i should have dropped out at the start rather than trying to keep things going :)

Jolima
11-10-2011, 05:15 PM
If you can get a replacement player to fill your spot, that would be fine as well I'd say. If not, I'd appreciate if you try to stick it out for a few more games at least, things may turn around and you can always drop out later instead.