PDA

View Full Version : Could you have made the frontpage any more uglier?

levictus
14-07-2011, 11:18 PM
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/5930/wow2cm.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/wow2cm.jpg/)

Longtime lurker here!

I keep RPS on my adblock whitelist, but this is really ugly!

I mean "THE FIRELORD HAS RETURNED!"

On a related note, can we have a system for subscribing that does not use paypal? Paypal does not play well with most non-western European credit cards.

Cheers!

deano2099
15-07-2011, 01:52 AM
A bizarre advert really, given if you don't already play WoW, if you start today, by the time you get to fight the return of the firelord, it'll be old news.

Rii
15-07-2011, 02:53 AM
It's more about encouraging one-time players to check out the game again I suspect. I received an offer from Blizzard for 7 days of free time recently and took them up on it to check out the 4.1/4.2 updates. If I didn't have a million other games to play right now it might've worked in getting me to re-sub too; could feel the old pull. :P

As for the ad... it'll pass.

Flint
15-07-2011, 07:20 AM
Eh, the ad itself isn't that bad. Seen worse in RPS to be honest. What I don't personally like is this trend of having loads and loads of video adverts playing on the front page which seems to happen with each front page ad campaign recently, and which causes the site to become quite a bit slower to load.

President Weasel
15-07-2011, 01:07 PM
It's "any more uglier" or "any uglier"; both intensifiers in the same sentence are unnecessary and likely to irk, well, me.

levictus
16-07-2011, 01:26 AM
It's "any more uglier" or "any uglier"; both intensifiers in the same sentence are unnecessary and likely to irk, well, me.

My bad. I do have a good reason for making that mistake. :)

Wooly Wugga Wugga
16-07-2011, 04:47 AM
What I don't personally like is this trend of having loads and loads of video adverts playing on the front page...

Even if you disagree with using Adblock because it takes revenue away from hardworking folks like the RPS crew Flashblock is a must in this day of obnoxiously loud auto-playing video adverts.

deano2099
16-07-2011, 03:09 PM

If you're going to be a grammar pedant it helps to actually re-read your posts to make sure they make any sort of sense whatsover.

Flobulon
17-07-2011, 02:52 AM
Think Eurogamer control the ads, don't they?

Burning Man
17-07-2011, 11:08 AM
I really like the ad. Won't play WoW for atleast a year, but I am completely okay with a mini gif of the Firelord pounding yetanother hapless adventurer into goo. Volcanic goo.

thegooseking
17-07-2011, 11:47 AM

I believe the rule for forming comparatives of regular adjectives is: Add '-er' for adjectives of one syllable, or two syllables if it ends in 'y', while you use 'more' for two syllables (if it doesn't end in 'y') or more.

'Ugly' is two syllables ending in 'y', so "any uglier" is preferred.

Though you can also add 'er' to adjectives of two or more syllables for comic effect. For that matter, you can use both intensifiers for comic effect, too. Deliberate grammar transgression for comic effect seems to happen a lot around these parts. And I love it.