PDA

View Full Version : iPhone4 - To buy or not to buy.

coldvvvave
15-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Please help me.

I have no idea what the hell is iPhone/Android/HTC/Mac etc etc. Suppose I was living in a cave last decade. I have 1k$ to spare. I heard that iPhone 4 is like best thing ever. What I want is a good mp-3/mp-4 player that can also be used as a passable cellphone( not the other way around). By 'good' I mostly mean REALLY LOUD, quality is good too, but if it's not LOUD - no deal. I don't care about anything else, I don't care if iTunes is bad. I'm just tired of carrying my almost-dead Samsung YP-P3 AND my almost-dead Sony Erricsson c510. So I want to know, is iPhone 4 really that good as an mp-3/mp-4 player? I'm not some audiophile but I listen to a lot of music, mostly while I'm traveling to work by metro( that's why I want it to be LOUD). Maybe I also need an advise on headphones( I have Audiotechnica ATH-SJ55 right now, works ok with YP-P3). Right now the only alternative I see is a HTC Desire HD - it's cheaper and have same functionality, but most reviewers say iPhone 4 is beter sound-wise. I borrowed Nokia s7-00 from a friend, it wasn't LOUD enough. Sadly, I have no one to borrow iPhone/HTC from.

imirk
15-07-2011, 05:11 PM
If they have apple stores in moscow (they should but I don't want to ASSume), you might be able to try the loudness there, or pick up headphones with an amplifier.

slick_101
15-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Personally If i were you, I'd look at getting the samsung galaxy S II with some audio technica ath m50s, I have the Galaxy S and with the cans on max volume I can't hear a thing (plus its cheaper to buy the samsung and headphones than it is to buy the iphone)

Kamikaze-X
15-07-2011, 10:40 PM
I second the Galaxy S2. I use it on a commute with noise cancelling ear buds and it sounds great. Maybe you want to focus a but more on sound quality than loudness too.

it is also a fantastic phone too, and is beautiful to look at, and hold.

egg651
16-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Galaxy S2 thirded. My friend has one and swears by it - Having used it the look & feel is just so nice, and the dual core processor just makes everything run smooth as hell. Plus, with Android you get the bonus of Google Music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrNhKcxBbZo) - which is awesome. Oh and when you feel like it you can switch up the OS to your hearts content with custom ROMs (http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1058) and things.

Malawi Frontier Guard
16-07-2011, 03:49 PM
I recently got a Galaxy S1 from my carrier and don't even know what to do with it.

I just use it to listen to the radio.

CuriousOrange
25-07-2011, 08:33 PM
I don't know about the iphone, but iPods have very disapointing sound. Although the interface does somewhat make up for it. Windows Phone 7 has by far the best media player I've used on a mobile device or walkman, but the battery life on them is just not good enough to use it as both a walkman and a phone. But then I would say that's true of my Android. As much as I want to use it as a walkman too, it's a killer on the battery.

WitchfinderG
26-07-2011, 12:35 AM
As an iphone owner, i'd also recommend the Galaxy2 for now if you cannot wait for the Iphone 5.

TheLastBaron
26-07-2011, 12:38 AM
I would say at least wait and see how the iPhone 5 pans out, but as for music, you should just get a decent pair of sound isolating headphones and a good amp.

duff
26-07-2011, 01:22 AM
So your the guy who sits next to me on the train and forces me to listen to his shit music.*

*I love you really

coldvvvave
18-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Ok guys, thanks for your replies, I ended up buying HTC Desire HD. Zog me Mork, this thing is 'uuuuge! Glad I have big damn palms. It's mediocre as player( although with some tweaking it's fine, just not for loud places) but otherwise a fun toy to play around with( so_much_free_apps! and it included free internet for a year deal! there are games too!), screen is good( 800x400, yeah!), touchscreen works fine and customization is very pleasing. I felt some buyers remorse at first, but it weared off already. To compensate HTC's onle weakness I bought Cowon J3 and have to carry around even more dead weight than ever, yay. Now this thing is LOUD.

I love you too, Duff, your userpic is almost as good as my userpic on Militaryphotos.net where I troll armchair generals from Western countries.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/image.php?u=87186&dateline=1289121565

CuriousOrange
22-08-2011, 12:54 AM
It's Android so you can make it a decent media player. I don't have my phone with me as it's being repaired, but someone else may be able to point out some decent software.

JohnnyMaverik
22-08-2011, 04:18 AM
Apple are the spawn of Satan. So I'm guna go with no.