PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Synapse PBEM tournament

Pages : [1] 2

Inverselaw
03-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Tournament Has been started, you can read the matchmaking rules here (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?491-Hot-Synapse-Summer-Open-Cup-Rules-and-matching%21%21)

Feel free to use this thread to discuss meta stuff and non-matchmaking tournament stuff.

Hello everyone, I have been reading RPS for at least two years now but I never bothered registering for the forum because I didn't have a reason to. But now I do!

I have been enjoying a bit of Frozen Synapse but its hard to organize PBEM games with strangers, so I thought I should organize a tournament, a structured system with a winner should make everything all the more interesting. I've ran online tournaments before (mostly EVE) but this will be my first asynchronous one.

The plan is simple each round lasts 6 days, from wednesday at midnight to tuesday midnight, giving me one day to sort everything for the next round, Since we can play PBEM it wont even be necessary for each opponent to agree to a time.

It will be an elimination tournament, preferably double elimination maybe even triple depending on the number of players, one fight per round. As for the matches itself well its a bit open, I'm not to sure If we should do just one match type, or randomized matches (like one round its chase, the next extermination).

So here is the plan, people who want to participate post in this Thread with the following information.

your FS ID,

what server you want to play on, the server that wins is the one we will play all matches on that way we wont have to server hop to watch the playbacks. (you can vote on more then one (like for example vote all the UK ones if you just care about it being a UK server))

What match types you want, random or a specific set, or even all except certain types (don't forget there is light and dark versions)

your preference over the kind of tournament (for those who dont know what double elimination is, heres a wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-elimination_tournament).

any other gubbins you want really.

<strike>On the 17th I will count up the votes and the posts and chose the specific servers and settings then we will have one more week for people to join or leave based on what has been decided. On the 24th we will be locked and matches will start on the 29th at midnight.</strike>

Registration is now closed!!
people who have been wronged feel free to post in thread and ill see what i can do.

So that's about all I have to say. I hope you all find this interesting and we will get to have lots of fun making little green silhouettes bleed.

NEW STUFF

Here are the maps that will be used in the tournament, more specifically tournament maps will be randomly selected from this set.

Feel free to discuss their fairness in the thread. Changes so far are adding a shotgun to each side of Extermination 1

EndelNurk
03-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Sounds good to me. My ID is EndelNurk and I play on UK6. Double elimination isn't a tournament style that I've ever played before but it looks decent and fair. The game type question is a bit tricky as you mentioned though. I would say that Elimination is the purest form of the game and the randomness in character placement and weapon loadout should add enough variety to be interesting without having to pick other modes. That being said, I would prefer both Dark and Light modes be available as they each require different tactical expertise and I would argue that a player should be good at both (although I'm not, to be fair).

imirk
03-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Right I'm a bit of a nub but I'll take at least two beatings for the sake of a shot at an RPS Cup. I'm imirk and on Texas 4

ColOfNature
03-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Sign me up. I'm ColOfNature in the game too. I'm not fussy about server as I've mostly been playing the SP campaign since the shards were introduced. And I'm equally pants at all the game modes.

Lambchops
03-06-2011, 11:41 PM
I'm still rubbish at the game but I'm definitely in. Point me at people to play and I'll do it!

FS username is Lambchops

I was completely unaware that there was a choice of servers, which no doubt shows it has been a while since I've played the game! A UK one would presumably be my preference.

Last time we played an FS tournament it was a round robin style thing so we all played on the same map. This made sense in terms of fairness but for a knockout it doesn't matter so I'd rather have different maps each round.

Wolfenswan
03-06-2011, 11:50 PM
count me in, my ingame nick is antilope.

EndelNurk
04-06-2011, 12:00 AM
@Lambchops: The new server shards only turned up a few days ago. The game videos and results tracking were supposed to be reintegrated yesterday but I don't know if that actually worked.

Kelron
04-06-2011, 12:23 AM
I'm in. FS name is Kelron, any UK server preferred.

For game mode/maps, symmetrical extermination maps would be the fairest way to do it as otherwise you can end up with maps that clearly favour one team. If we did that, but let each match take place on a randomly generated symmetrical map rather than insisting on the same map for everyone in the round, it should make a nice variety of replays to watch.

Krans
04-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Krans, UK1.

Can we not use Extermination? It's getting pretty dominated by silly camping these days, and Disputed has a lot more tactical interest. I've been finding Light modes more challenging from a "mind games" point of view than Dark recently, but YMMV.

Jolima
04-06-2011, 04:14 PM
I'll join in. I'm Jolima on FS as well. Currently playing on UK2 but wouldn't mind another server. Would prefer deathmatch or secure. Prefer dark over light. Either symetric or playing both sides on the same map. I don't care strongly about any of this though, so I will play most anything you decide on.

Web Cole
04-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Sounds good, I'm in. Web_cole on FS, I am also a bit rubbish.

What Kelron said about symmetrical levels sounds good, and I'm up for any game mode and any UK server.

I would say that the 29th seems like quite a long way away however, might be a good idea to move things along quicker so people don't lose interest?

Malawi Frontier Guard
04-06-2011, 05:31 PM
MalawiFG, UK 1, Any.

Oak
04-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Is this multiple server nonsense temporary?

ColOfNature
04-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Last I heard the plan is to stitch them all back together at some point.

Vexing Vision
04-06-2011, 07:29 PM
I love Frozen Synapse from the beta, but six days for a match can be pretty harsh if both parties don't meet each other online at one point. (My longest match so far took 18 glorious turns.)

/Edit: Username is VexingVision, server: UK3

Frutz
05-06-2011, 04:50 AM
I am in the same situation as Inverselaw. I have been reading alot of this forum and blog, and have enjoyed all my time here. I have purchased Frozen Synapse and would love to participate in a FS tournament. I don't have much experience with this game yet but I hope this will help me get some more.

My FS ID is Frutz. I play on the Texas 4 server.

Inverselaw
05-06-2011, 06:29 AM
I tried generating a few symetrical maps but honestly they look rather boring compared to the more dynamic ones, also a bit broken for stuff like chase and secure, We could do it for extermination matches though. Personally Id much rather have a veto system where the challenged can veto the map the challenger offered and make a counteroffer instead.

An even smarter solution is for me to generate a bank of maps now, then we review them, make sure they are all balanced to our liking and then a random selection of these are chosen for the tournament.

as for the match length, 18 turns is incredible, especially considering that some match types end at 7 or 8. We can agree to a set time limit of X turns and then a secondary resolution like least number of players lost. Don't forget that after the initial turn you can do two turns per log in, so 6 days is 11 turns if you log in once per day and 23 if you log in twice (every 12 hours), also if we do double or triple elim then there will be slack time

as for the time period, well im really impressed with the showing so far (more the merrier though), we have enough players for for 5 rounds single elim, 8 double and 12 triple (actually after checking I see it can be compressed down to 5/7/10 if you dont mind the ranks getting mixed a bit in the second and third branch). Though triple elimination is kinda silly with a chain of 1 match per round from round 7 to 10. If nobody objects Ill move everything up a week so deadline to join and vote will be this friday and deadline to join will be the week after.

Anyway Thats all for now. Ill post some maps next time and a link to a google spreadsheet that will be used to coordinate all of this.

Have a nice day.

Rond
05-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Rond, UK1 or UK2, Any.

Kelron
05-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Pre generated maps sounds good, we can have a nice mix of game modes that way. I'd prefer to leave turn limits on the default for the mode, they work well as is and if you set them too high then there's no compulsion to attack. There's already a scoring system in-game that I don't see any need to mess with, draws can be resolved with a rematch.

J.B.
05-06-2011, 08:58 PM
I'm digital_pariah in FS, I play on UK6 until they unshard (did I just invent a new word?) the servers. I don't mind which mode we play tbh, but I do much prefer Dark over Light.

Looking forward to playing against you guys.

Pnikosis
05-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Me want. But I'm still leatning to not being humiliated in multiplayer games. My ID is Pnikosis.

ChainsawHands
06-06-2011, 01:22 PM
I'd be up for this. I'd prefer dark extermination.

baboonanza
06-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Definitely in, sounds like fun.

ID: Baboonanza
Dark Extermination please, though anything not Light would be ok
UK server preferred, don't much care which one

riadsala
06-06-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm in! I'm riadsala, and uk6 usually.

cwoac
06-06-2011, 02:55 PM
cwoac. any uk. I suggest a different mode each round (but all the same in a given round).

Rond
07-06-2011, 02:31 PM
I suggest a different mode each round (but all the same in a given round).

I agree. I can add that we should start with Extermination and gradually move to something more complex.

J.B.
07-06-2011, 06:07 PM
cwoac. any uk. I suggest a different mode each round (but all the same in a given round).

I agree. I can add that we should start with Extermination and gradually move to something more complex.

I heartily concur with these ideas.

Inverselaw
08-06-2011, 05:44 AM
Ok, first of all dont write lengthily posts in the quick reply box because if you take too long your cookie expires and it just deletes what you wrote :(

Right my plan was to give the highest voted match type in round 1 and the final match and then assign the other match types proportionally based on the votes, which since almost everyone votes all then its gonna be one of each. It seems fair this way.

Heres the link (https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AobZWg0T_pMfdENDV2JKSTZsUFVQTjl1dTFWNUR4V mc&hl=en_US&authkey=CMXm2YgP) to the spreadsheet.

and in the attachment is 10 Extermination maps. If you feel that any of them are unbalanced just post here with the map name and what you feel is wrong with it.

Anyway good luck and have a nice day.

Vexing Vision
08-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Had a look at the Spreadsheet. Remain confused. What now?

It may be that I am not fully functional right now. ;)

desvergeh
08-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Sign me up as interested, and as easy meat. Completely suck at this game, but happy to participate.

FS ID is Desvergeh.

No preference on modes or servers. Fine to go along with what the more experienced players deem best.

Now off to try to get better by playing the SP campaign.

Inverselaw
08-06-2011, 02:34 PM
well originaly i explained how the spreadsheet worked but that post was lost.

The spreadsheet has 3 pages, page 1 is the upper branch its where we all start. First column is just the list of names of participants, x number of people are seeded into the equalization round so that the next round (first official round) is an even power of 2. When the tournaments starts ill move the names on top of those little lines and then matches will be played accordingly. Thers the matches number on the line too and the winner advances to the next round (the numbers are not currently accurate since the number of matches changes with each new player.

Page 2 is the lower bracket. players are seeded into it when they lose a match, the Lx numbers mean the loser of match x is seeded there. the number of the round in the lower bracket is parallel with the upper bracket (1 at the same time as 1) however many lower rounds have more then one round (a and b) as such round 2,3 and 4 in the upper bracket will be 2 weeks long so the lower bracket can do match a and b during that time (there's also a 1 week break after the upper bracket final). Note that the tournament final which is the winner of the upper bracket vs the winner of the lower bracket can be 2 matches long because the upper bracket player never lost and this is a double elimination tournament, because of this the lower bracket player must win twice in a row.

Page 3 is just the list of votes for the various game types. Based on these results I will assign the match types and maps to the various rounds (row 2).

Have a nice day.

Wolfenswan
08-06-2011, 02:37 PM
are we going to have the matches on set days, so other people know when to spectate the match? (we can use mumble for live commentating)

Fumarole
08-06-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm in.

FS username = cimethink
Servers Texas2 or Texas3

Anything dark is good, but I'd rather avoid extermination as it gets old fast, plus the possibility of draws unnecessarily complicates things.

baboonanza
08-06-2011, 10:28 PM
are we going to have the matches on set days, so other people know when to spectate the match? (we can use mumble for live commentating)
Not necessary. Poeple can try to meet if they like to speed things up and once the game has started all you have to do is post the game number and anyone can see the progress.

Inverselaw
10-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Ok Here are the rests of the maps. Today is the last day to join in and vote but remember we have a whole extra week to join in on the fun. We are up to 21 participants which is certainly a great number for a first time attempt but the more the merrier as they say.

Feel free to review these maps if you have any issues with them feel free to say so, we can always generate new ones.

ColOfNature
11-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Okay, stupid question: how do I open those .enc files?

Edit: never mind. Hurr durr etc.
Edit again: no, wait, still stupid. I can't load these. I can save a game from the advanced game screen and load it again, but when I try to load any of these I get nothing.

Inverselaw
11-06-2011, 02:43 AM
where did you put them? I think it only works if they are in the user level folder

ColOfNature
11-06-2011, 03:48 AM
They're in the right place. I take it they load OK for you? Has anyone else tried?

The Innocent
11-06-2011, 07:08 AM
I'm a bit late to this, but I'd definitely like to get in on it if there's still room.

McDan
11-06-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm McDan in the game, on UK 1. And not really bothered about what type of games they are, I like them all.

Inverselaw
11-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Well they load ok for me, but i generated them. If there are additional files needed I already have them without knowing, The Innocent, thers plenty of room left. I Just need your ID.

ColOfNature
11-06-2011, 05:58 PM
I was right: hurr durr. There's a space before the numbers. What a numpty I am.

Inverselaw
11-06-2011, 06:37 PM
*Note to self use Unix friendly names in the futur*

Ok I picked the matches for each round based on the votes, there are 10 rounds in all and there wont be more unless we beat 32 participants (hey, you never know). Note that for all futur discussion and in the spreadsheet matches are assumed to be dark unless mentioned.

The winning match, Secure, will be played on round 1 and the Tournament final, the 8 other matches were picked in order of votes and number of participants per round. When there is a tie I used a cubic random number generator to resolve it. Since there are 12 possible matches I eliminated the 3 least popular (Light Secure, Light Hostage & Light Disputed), the three second place matches (Elimination, Sym. Elimination & Charge) were assigned to Round 2 Round 3 & Round 0 respectively. Next up Disputed Got Round 4 and then in the lower Bracket Hostage got Round 1b (the a rounds get the same match as the upper bracket) finaly Light Sym. Elimination got Round 2b and round 3b and 4b were given to Light Charge and Light Elimination.

You can see all of this in the spreadsheet (https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AobZWg0T_pMfdENDV2JKSTZsUFVQTjl1dTFWNUR4V mc&hl=en_US&authkey=CMXm2YgP) in row 2. The actual map number will be assigned Friday this week after registration closes.

ColOfNature
11-06-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm not on the spreadsheet.

And I think the problem wasn't so much your choice of filename as my eyes at 3 in the morning.

CWalker
12-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Sign me up!

ConorWalker in-game, usually hang on Original because I have no idea what it changes :P

Hopeless noobery, huzzah!

EndelNurk
12-06-2011, 12:16 AM
It changes the people you can play against. It also used to affect your rankings as your score on one server shard would not be carried over to another. That seems to have been fixed now.

The Innocent
12-06-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm not on the spreadsheet either, so far as I can see. Are we supposed to just put ourselves on there?

Inverselaw
12-06-2011, 02:13 AM
The Innocent, You need to give me your frozen synapse ID, is it TheInnocent?

The Innocent
12-06-2011, 05:07 AM
I PM'd it to you, but perhaps I flubbed the sending. Yes, it's TheInnocent.

CMaster
12-06-2011, 11:26 AM
CMaster, Original. Although I've found you can challenege people from any server and not be an issue.

Also, do we really have to play any "Light" games? I'm really not keen.

karthink
12-06-2011, 06:38 PM
karthink on FS, UK2. I'm in.

Fredie007
12-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Sounds awesome and I'd like to participate. ID is Fredie007. Server doesn't really matter and I prefer my game-modes dark.

UnMute
12-06-2011, 06:43 PM
FS name: UnMute.

Time to kick neon red ass.

J.B.
12-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Time to kick neon red ass.

Phew! Thank goodness my men are all green =D

vfig
12-06-2011, 06:54 PM
FS tournament sounds ace. Im in.

Im vfig on FS, too. I prefer UK servers, and prefer Dark Elimination.

RiseandShock
12-06-2011, 07:30 PM
I'd like to join in
Username on FS is RiseandShock too, prefer Dark Elimination and UK server, but don't mind much.

MasterBoo
12-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Oh Oh!

Sign me up as well!

Nickname is Indigon and I play on UK1 or UK6 most of the time.
I prefer Dark Elimination.

Inverselaw
12-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Because of the RPS post and the large influx of new joiners I'm Reopening the votes for game type until Friday when registration closes. Because of this ignore the game match types in the spreadsheet since its looking like Elimination is winning again.

Simian9
12-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Yes, yes, yes - please sign me up as well. ID of Simian9, play on UK6 or UK1. Prefer any Dark game.

WombatDeath
12-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Sounds excellent - my ID is WombatDeath.

jd_
12-06-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm in. My username is jdesler. I'd prefer dark games over light. No server preference.

Looking forward to this.

Du3lingDragon
12-06-2011, 08:59 PM
my id is Du3lingdragon i live in the us so TEXAS 2 all the way. I would play all dark modes, i hate light

CedarMadness
12-06-2011, 09:21 PM
My id is CedarMadness. I usually play on TEXAS, but it doesn't really matter to me. All game modes are fine, but I'd prefer to play dark versions.

LaunchJC
12-06-2011, 11:05 PM
FS id = Launch, prefer UK servers, prefer dark modes.

psyk
12-06-2011, 11:43 PM
ID = DandC
Game Type = Dark Extermination
Server = UK 7

Jugglenaut
12-06-2011, 11:52 PM
I'd like to join. My ID is Jugglenaut, I don't care which server, and I'm still pretty new at the game so I don't care about the game types.

El_Murph
12-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Count me in:

elmurph
UK1
Dark Extermination

Zyrden
13-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Haven't played much, but I'll join.
ID: Zyrden
Server: irrelevant
Mode: Disputed

rantOclock
13-06-2011, 01:27 AM
My FS username is Enoch, I usually play UK2 but I'm fine with whichever server this ends up being played on.

Anataru
13-06-2011, 04:50 AM
My ID is Anataru, and I mostly play on Texas2. I'd prefer Dark Extermination

Andthensobecause
13-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Never bothered registering til now either. Sign me up. I'm on Texas2 ID: Zonderic

Matzerath
13-06-2011, 06:57 AM
ID: Matzerath
Server: Texas, but not married to it.
Game Preference: Dark or Light Extermination, but will flail through the other wacky modes as well.

Toeofdoom
13-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Sounds good to me!

ID: Toeofdoom
Server: Any one on the other side of the world (any of them)
Game type: I mostly play extermination but I'm happy with any. Well, any dark mode.

AlexV
13-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Sign me up, please!

I play as AlexV on UK7

Kehno
13-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Sign me up!

I'm Kehno @ UK1.

kuran
13-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Sign me up. I am kuran on Texas 1, although will play wherever this tourney is held.

Ghost Bear
13-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Sign me up!

ID: Ghost_Bear
Server: UK6
Mode: Dark Extermination

Graever
13-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Sign me up. I usually play as Graever on the UK1 server but anywhere will be fine.

Cooper
13-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Yay! The beta tourney was a bit of a laff, well up for another.

ID: Cooper
UK1, but fine with tourney anywhere.
I think Dark Extermination is by far the best, most balanced mode for tournaments.

If people are interested, I can source a bunch of tournament maps for FS - they're designed to be symmetrical so that -any- randomness of the game is taken out.

jonfitt
13-06-2011, 04:18 PM
I hope I'm not too late.
ID: RoastChief
Preferred Server: Texas 2
Mode: Any

Jhoosier
13-06-2011, 06:07 PM
I'm up for this. I'm definitely a beginner, but hey, how hard can it be?

ID's Jhoosier
Server: no preference as I'm in Asia.
Type: there are different types?

Coccyx
13-06-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm also up for this. My usernames coccyx and I'm not really attached to any server. Dark extermination for everything would definitely be best.

Protagoras
13-06-2011, 07:32 PM
ID: Protagoras
Server: UK something or another? I dont really care much
Mode: no clue.

Saiwyn
13-06-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm down for some RPS game-age. ID: Saiwyn. I play on Texas3 although I don't care which server we use.

I vote for Dark Extermination.

Peter Radiator Full Pig
13-06-2011, 08:10 PM
FS ID: Crakker
Please sign me up. Id would be great if after registration closes an new thread is opened, collecting all the pertinent information in one post.
If anyone from this thread wants to challange me to see what some of the competition is like, feel free.

wererogue
13-06-2011, 09:22 PM
In (and joined the forums just to sign up)

ID: wererogue
Server: Texas 3 (there's no way that'll win)
Game mode: Dark Extermination, although I'm happy for anything.

Peter Radiator Full Pig
13-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Can anyone explain the server situation in Forezen Synapse?

circle
13-06-2011, 10:58 PM
ID: circle2
Server: Texas 4 - is where I play but I don't care which one we use.
Game mode: Anything Dark.

ColOfNature
13-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Can anyone explain the server situation in Forezen Synapse?

Currently there are several servers with games being possible with anyone on the same server as you, and no restrictions about what server you can join. Your overall stats are universal.

The plan announced here (http://www.mode7games.com/blog/2011/06/13/final-server-plans-announcement/) is to migrate all of the games on the various shards back onto a single server which can be extended with additional temporary shards if demand, er, demands. This is going to happen after testing, which is due to begin this week.

Margenal
14-06-2011, 03:04 AM
Margenal UK1

I prefer the classic death match

EndelNurk
14-06-2011, 03:06 AM
I'd like to ask why people hate Light modes. Do you think it's too easy or too hard?

MasterBoo
14-06-2011, 06:51 AM
I'd like to ask why people hate Light modes. Do you think it's too easy or too hard?

Makes the game technical instead being a mind game.

Haml3t
14-06-2011, 08:05 AM
I can dig it! I'm Haml3t, and though I'm from New York the first time I signed in the game told me to play on UK3, so play on UK3 I do. At the risk of sounding incredibly boring, I'd want the tournament to be Dark Elimination, as it's the most common type of game on matchmaking and as such the one I (and everyone else, I imagine) have had the most practice with, as well as the most straightforward variant.

Vexing Vision
14-06-2011, 08:25 AM

Easy is not exactly the right word, but MasterBoo is right when claiming they are too technical. As an experienced (150+ games) player myself, I will win 98% of all Light Matches against an inexperienced player, simply because I know how to break line of sight, how to get the optimum aim-modifier and where to place my troops to have better cover use than my opponent.

With dark matches, the game becomes a much much more interesting mind-game of ambushes and counter-ambushes. Tactic becomes important, and figuring out the personality of your opponent (will he hide in the corners? Will he attempt to sneak units into your back? Will he set an ambush waiting for YOU to sneak units in?) is the way to victory.

All in all, it makes for a more interesting and fun game, to me. I can see the appeal of Light games, especially as training games, but I find much more entertainment in dark games. Which I lose a lot more often.

MasterBoo
14-06-2011, 10:02 AM
I think we are 80+ by now. This is going to be hard to manage! Is there anyway I can help?

wallnuss
14-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Count me in: Ingame name is wallnuss and I play on UK2. Everthing else I don't mind ;-)

Let's the games begin.

aravar
14-06-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm keen too, although I suspect it will be an embarrassing showing on my part.

ID: Aravar
Server: Don't mind, I don't have any rankings to lose yet
Match type: I'm happy to try everything, but I think having different match types in different rounds would be good.

Antares
14-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Hey gents, I heard there's some shootage to be found in here?

FS ID: MaceWindow (and if anyone here in RPS wishes to have a few friendly games in the meanwhile I'd be glad to have my men shoot your men in the face and viceversa)
Server : UK1, don't mind playing elsewhere
Modes : Dark modes preferred, no preferences otherwise.

EndelNurk
14-06-2011, 02:13 PM
With dark matches, the game becomes a much much more interesting mind-game of ambushes and counter-ambushes. Tactic becomes important, and figuring out the personality of your opponent (will he hide in the corners? Will he attempt to sneak units into your back? Will he set an ambush waiting for YOU to sneak units in?) is the way to victory.

I understand your point and everything you say about Dark games is true. They are an exciting and fascinating game type. I find Light games interesting for the exact reason that there are no ambushes and no traps because you can see everything. It is tricky to outmanoeuvre somebody who can see exactly what you are doing. It means the tactical challenges are completely different and are perhaps more about area control than ambush. Both are fun, I think.

StickyLlama
14-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Count me in

FS Id :StickyLlama
Server UK 6

Vexing Vision
14-06-2011, 02:33 PM
@Endel:

I agree that both are fun, but my personal preference is much more towards Dark games.

With Light, it becomes a matter of precise timing that I dislike. I don't like using the time-delay bar. I don't enjoy having to break combat to duck because I'm probably losing the battle. I don't like timing my moves to end in your potential field of fire half a splitsecond before the turn ends, so I have enough time to react.

I love being ambushed, and counter-ambushing things though!

Anyway, we'll see what happens in the tournament. :) If I'm forced to play Light, I'll play Light to the best of my meager abiliities, but I'd rather lose some Dark games.

Inverselaw
14-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Ha we are currently exactly 64 players. My only rule is that the tournament mustn't take more then 12 weeks so if we beat this number (quite likely) I will make the first x rounds single elimination so that the tournament as a whole only takes 12 weeks (since double elimination basically doubles the number of rounds (technically its triple but you can run both sides of the double elimination at the same time)).

Based on this rule the true number limit is 4096, if we get that high I wont allow any more joiners :p

the spreadsheet (https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AobZWg0T_pMfdENDV2JKSTZsUFVQTjl1dTFWNUR4V mc&hl=en_US&authkey=CMXm2YgP) is constantly updated however only the list of names, the tree structure and the vote tally is current. The match numbers and seeding for the lower bracket (L1 means loser of match 1 goes here) is not current and technicaly changes every time a new player joins, so i wont bother to fix it until registration closes Friday.

P.S. The matche types are also wrong but you can see the WIP list of what rounds will be played in the vote tally page

P.P.S. No wait were 65

EndelNurk
14-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Heh clearly you're playing the game on a far more involved level than I am :)

MasterBoo
14-06-2011, 07:10 PM
I think I missed something, what's Sym. Elimination?

Antares
14-06-2011, 07:53 PM
I suppose it involves playing on the symmetrical maps Inverselaw made, although I can't tell if we're only meant to play on them in those particular rounds or if it's just a typo

Toeofdoom
14-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Are the matches going to be randomised somehow when the roster is full? I can't see it specifically mentioned anywhere.

Inverselaw
14-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Back when this thing started some people were voting for extermination and symetrical extermination. So I treated it as two separate game modes.

The tournament maps are up thread and nobody has said anything about them so Im hoping they are actually balanced enough (there's 10 of each type). Though I have a sinking feeling that people are only going to check em right before we start which will lead to griping and last minute changes most likely.

For the Seeding I thought about doing slaughter pairing but I dont have complete server information for everyone and id have to check each server individualy and oh god its alot of work for 65+ people. So I will most likely do full random pairing with maybe putting the late commers in the equalisation round if there are not many of them.

Peter Radiator Full Pig
14-06-2011, 08:10 PM
How do you see, view, play touchsmelltaste the maps?

EDIT: Ninja'd so well.

Jarvis
14-06-2011, 08:18 PM
I'll sign up as well then, jarvisrodrig in the game, only preference is for dark game types.

Cheers.

Toeofdoom
14-06-2011, 08:48 PM
The tournament maps are up thread and nobody has said anything about them so Im hoping they are actually balanced enough (there's 10 of each type). Though I have a sinking feeling that people are only going to check em right before we start which will lead to griping and last minute changes most likely. Ah, didn't notice them. Might be worth editing them into the first post? Anyway I'll check them out tomorrow.

Toeofdoom
15-06-2011, 07:07 AM
The tournament maps are up thread and nobody has said anything about them so Im hoping they are actually balanced enough (there's 10 of each type). Though I have a sinking feeling that people are only going to check em right before we start which will lead to griping and last minute changes most likely.
None of them look too bad, obviously there aren't any shotgun - sniper cage matches, and extermination is less sensitive to layout balance than charge, hostage or even disputed.

Map 1: The layout is balanced but 2 rockets + an MG seems quite volatile. I'd feel much better about it with another gunner of some sort (total 4 units) and/or switching one rocket to a grenade. - if you lose your MG you're pretty much screwed against the "Hahaha you can't hit me" strategy.
Map 2 looks fine to me.
Map 3 has a long, uncovered sprint for green and red can hide movements better. That specific feature could turn around if red has to rely on the rocket later on. Might be a mild advantage to red, but it looks okay.
Map 4: Green has a much more obvious option for avoiding rockets, but I like the map.
Map 5: Is there a rocket in every one? And where are the grenades? This looks fine too.
Map 6 is not great for green, advancing units will be somewhat vulnerable either way. While red will be putting their units in danger if they try to capitalise on that, they still have more options. Also yay, grenades!
Map 7 looks good.
Map 8 looks pretty cool, green has more building access, red has better "trenches".
Map 9 is almost symmetrical, 3 units each makes it more tense but it looks good anyway.
Map 10 looks fine.

For other people wanting to take a look: They're in a post on page 2, extract them into the frozen synapse/psychoff/data/userlevels folder and you can view them by trying an advanced match setup and clicking "load level". The names are "Extermination 1" through to "Extermination 10"

kanzy
15-06-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm kinda late, but I'm in for this! I'm kanzy in FS and I don't mind any server (:

Malawi Frontier Guard
15-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Map 1: The layout is balanced but 2 rockets + an MG seems quite volatile. I'd feel much better about it with another gunner of some sort (total 4 units) and/or switching one rocket to a grenade. - if you lose your MG you're pretty much screwed against the "Hahaha you can't hit me" strategy.

Yeah, I'd add a shotgun to that.

ColOfNature
15-06-2011, 07:46 PM
I made FS Steam group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rpsyn), in case anyone's interested. Might be useful, maybe. Possibly.

McDan
15-06-2011, 08:17 PM
So how do I get the maps?

J.B.
15-06-2011, 08:17 PM
I made FS Steam group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rpsyn), in case anyone's interested. Might be useful, maybe. Possibly.

Good work Col, much appreciated!

J.B.
15-06-2011, 08:18 PM
So how do I get the maps?

Page 2 of this thread: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?74-Frozen-Synapse-PBEM-tournament/page2

McDan
15-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Page 2 of this thread: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?74-Frozen-Synapse-PBEM-tournament/page2

Thanks, but I knew where they where it was just the downloadening of them that's the problem.

Sunjumper
15-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Can I still join?
I am Sunjumper in the game too and while UK7 is my 'home' server at the moment I have not played any multi-player game since the server was split up and I don't mind switching.

Inverselaw
16-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Here are the maps split up in two files, its in two files because I cant post more then 5 files in a single post and a single file cant be bigger then 100kb (total size of all maps 106kb).

Registration is still open till Friday at midnight, does everyone see forum time as GMT -4? if not we will just use GMT 0 as the standard time of day. And yes please join, right now the tournament is all lopsided with 4 matches in the first week followed by 32 matches in the second. Currently the very first round is single elimination followed by all other rounds being double.

I believe the map generator spawns lots of rocket launchers in extermination to prevent camping stalemates, However I will be making the requested changes (currently its add 1 shotgun to both sides of exterminate 1).

Ill start a new matchmaking thread when registration closes for the actual organization.

Col, could we use the group for Round announcements and deadlines? I don't know how steam groups work honestly.

ColOfNature
16-06-2011, 01:28 AM
Absotively, Inverselaw, I've made you an admin. Feel free to abuse your new powers as you see fit.

BaronWR
16-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Go on, count me in. I'm pretty useless, and am mostly working my way through the single player, but it sounds like it might be fun. Id is BaronWR, and I'm normally on UK1, although I don't think that will make a lot of difference to me, as I haven't played any multiplayer matches.

randomnine
16-06-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm in! I've only been playing for a few days, but loving it so far :D

FS id: randomnine
I'd prefer UK1.

I'd absolutely prefer Dark over Light, and a mix of game modes rather than straight Extermination... but I understand that it's fairest.

bonuswavepilot
16-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Ooh, me too, me too!
Have played so little of the game I'm not even sure how crap I am at it yet, but I'm what the hell...
ID: bonuswavepilot
Server: on UK7, but not attached to it particularly
Oh, and Inverselaw - re: your cookie loss causing yr comment to be lost - if you're using Firefox, you might want to try an extension called Lazarus (i think it was). Remembers form content for when this sort of thing happens.

RiseandShock
17-06-2011, 01:15 AM
I'd like to join in
Username on FS is RiseandShock too, prefer Dark Elimination and UK server, but don't mind much.

you seem to have missed my name on the Spreadsheet =x

Inverselaw
17-06-2011, 02:33 AM
Thank you, It is now fixed, also I alphabetised the list to make it easier for all of you to confirm.

budgieishere
17-06-2011, 04:33 AM
Alrighty, I'll chuck my name into the hat here too. FS username: budgieishere

Usually play on UK2, but it makes no shred of difference to me where we end up.

Ready to get slaughtered. :D

wallnuss
17-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Hey I'm looking forward to this tournament. But instead of the Google Docs table we could use this http://challonge.com/ .
Seems to me as a little bit more straightforward. If you need any help porting or organizing this tournament let me know.

Vexing Vision
17-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Just chiming in to declare my undying love for Google Docs and spreadsheets. You can do magical things with spreadsheets that you can't do with challonge.

Not that challonge is a bad service, but I don't want to sign-up to more stuff - that only loses people.

Anyway, someone just tell me when the matches begin and where to save what map.

- Vex

Inverselaw
17-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Challonge wont allow a partial double elimination tournament which is what we have right now. Also people would have to log into it unless we set up a website which is unlikely this late in the game.

Just a reminder, Today is the last day to register! less then 12hours remain before closing of registration.

Glow
17-06-2011, 02:23 PM
I'd like to sign up but I'm going on holiday at the end of the month. I'm assuming you're not going to want to wait around for people though.

Let me know, otherwise make sure you have another tournament after this one!!!

Sabin
18-06-2011, 01:07 AM
I just bought this Wednesday, so I'll throw myself in. FS id is Sabin. Right now on Texas 2

Inverselaw
18-06-2011, 04:28 AM
Ya sorry Glow. If it was later you could be justified in thinking that you might be eliminated before but the end of the month is very soon you will barely get past the 1st round.

OK REGISTRATION IS CLOSED!!!

Sabin your the last one in.

Over the weekend ill put down another thread for matchmaking and rules. Ill also polish up the spreadsheet and seed everyone.

Based on the votes, Server is UK1 So all matches will be played on UK1.

Based on the votes, these are the matches for each round. Dark Extermination won, so it will be played for round 1 and the tournament final the rest of the rounds are assigned as most popular mode to most populated round. All rounds are Dark

Upper Bracket.

Disputed
Extermination
Secure
Charge
Sym. Extermination
Secure
Disputed
Extermination

Lower Bracket

Secure
Charge
Hostage
Sym. Extermination
Charge
Secure
Sym. Extermination
Disputed
Extermination
Hostage

I would just like to say how happy and impressed I am with the showing. This is an excellent result, we are 74 participants and I wasn't sure we would beat 16. Considering the strong showing I have every intention of making this a seasonal affair, probably with different themes each time.

Faxmachinen
18-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Registration is closed? Didn't you promise us an extra week of registration/deregistration after voting ended?

Web Cole
18-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Registration is closed? Didn't you promise us an extra week of registration/deregistration after voting ended?

I don't see any reason not to move things on quicker, we have lots of people and the longer you wait the more likely those people will forget or lose interest.

Considering the strong showing I have every intention of making this a seasonal affair, probably with different themes each time.

Oooh, yay :)

Faxmachinen
18-06-2011, 12:49 PM
I don't see any reason not to move things on quicker, we have lots of people and the longer you wait the more likely those people will forget or lose interest.
Fine. I didn't want to be in your stupid tournament anyway.

wererogue
18-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Did I get dropped? I can't see myself on the spreadsheet :(

Web Cole
18-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Fine. I didn't want to be in your stupid tournament anyway.

Haha, that's great, I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually storm out of a thread before.

In actually helpful news, Inverslaw did say:

Registration is still open till Friday at midnight (GMT)

So really you have no excuse.

J.B.
18-06-2011, 04:24 PM
To be fair, the post on the first page says Friday 24th. There are several mentions of the registration ending since then though.

On the other hand, the petulance is fairly amusing.

Faxmachinen
18-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Haha, that's great, I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually storm out of a thread before.
Forgive me, I forgot the sarcasm tags.

I saw the first post in this thread last night, and I figured I'd sign up this morning. What can I say, I'm used to the first post being up to date, especially when trying to organize an event like this.

Inverselaw
18-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Ya thats my fault for that. Fax you can still join in if you want just post your ID

Ill go update the front page. Im not so much bothered by people who notice the tourney now and are disappointed that they cant join but it sucks for people who saw it before the deadline and are just procrastinators.

Jugglenaut
18-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Hey Inverselaw, just noticed that my ID is misspelled on the spreadsheet. My ID is Jugglenaut, not Jungglenaut (though that's an interesting name choice, too). Anyway, I look forward to that first match.

Faxmachinen
18-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Excellent, thanks. My FS user name is Faxmachinen.

J.B.
18-06-2011, 09:24 PM
While we're on the subject of misspellings etc, my username starts with a lowercase "d"

Cheers, digital_pariah

UnMute
19-06-2011, 02:32 PM
My IGN is UnMute with an upper case M, not m. Thanks.

Frannk
20-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Procrastinator here. If I'm too late, no worries - I'll jump in the next one!

ID: Frannk
UK1

Mechanicus_
20-06-2011, 01:32 PM
If you are going to run another tourney I'd love to join in.

I am:
Mechanicus_
UK2

baboonanza
20-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Wait. What's going on? Have we started yet?

I just looked at the tournament seeding and it's ... interesting. We have Toeofdoom (34th in Global ranking last time I checked) against Kelron (54ish GR) in the first round.

That should be a good match :)

J.B.
20-06-2011, 02:37 PM
The Steam group announcement says Round 0 starts June 23rd.

Inverselaw
20-06-2011, 02:44 PM
matches start wednesday. I should have the start post ready sometimes tonight (EST). Also Im using the steam group Col set up to give updates about start and end times for various rounds.

also crap about that. Usually slaughter pairing is better because it saves the more interesting pairing for later in the tournament. I went full random because I didn't want to go through looking up 77 names (serves me right). Thankfully it is a round 1 match and not round 0 so whoever loses just goes to the lower bracket where he can still fight all the way to victory.

baboonanza
20-06-2011, 04:23 PM
matches start wednesday. I should have the start post ready sometimes tonight (EST). Also Im using the steam group Col set up to give updates about start and end times for various rounds.

also crap about that. Usually slaughter pairing is better because it saves the more interesting pairing for later in the tournament. I went full random because I didn't want to go through looking up 77 names (serves me right). Thankfully it is a round 1 match and not round 0 so whoever loses just goes to the lower bracket where he can still fight all the way to victory.
Nah, I'm sure it's fine. I wasn't ciritcising, nobody could have expected you to do real seeding, I thought it was interesting. In fact it might be good since there will be some interesting early round matches to watch.

Vexing Vision
20-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Okay, could you please put the link to the spreadsheet in the first post? It's a bit difficult to find!

Also, it'd be great if you could write an explanation in the spreadsheet on a tab how and which map to use. I have more than 100 matches behind me, but I have no idea which map to put where. ;) (I only play Random)

Anyway, great work so far, very much looking forward to it!

Web Cole
20-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Are we using the Steam group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rpsyn) for match organizing and announcements as well? Might want to bump that in the first post if so :)

MasterBoo
20-06-2011, 09:35 PM
A bit confused over how equalization rounds work. Are the losers in these matches eliminated from the tournaments and not sent to the lower bracket?

WombatDeath
20-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Nah, I'm sure it's fine. I wasn't ciritcising, nobody could have expected you to do real seeding, I thought it was interesting. In fact it might be good since there will be some interesting early round matches to watch.
As opposed to the opening match that you, ranked 57, have against some random loser called WombatDeath, ranked 1668 :)

Oh, wait.

Fuck.

Inverselaw
20-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Equalisation round is normaly the name of the round that is used to reduced the number of players down to a power of 2, if you dont have a match in the equalisation round you get a bye to round 1.

In the particular case of this particular tournament the equalisation round is single elimination because we are more then 64 players and I dont want the tournament to get too long, originaly I wanted a max of 12 weeks but to do that I have to make the equalisation round AND round 1 single elimination, meaning that the fact that we are 11 players over 64 means that 32 dont get a second chance.

Instead I allowed for 13 weeks thus making it possible for round 1 participants to get seeded into the lower bracket so only round 0 participants are single elimination.

I just tried going through the global ranking and the search feature is really borked. 90% of the players return server error this player dosent exist. sometimes i get the error and it gives me the players stats anyway. so ya random seeding.

EndelNurk
21-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Yep, it's a rubbish search system. This sounds like a massive hassle to organise, Inverselaw. Is there anything we can do to help?

Inverselaw
21-06-2011, 12:19 AM
well its alot easier to build it with random seeding which is what i did the spreadsheet is finished and technicaly you could all start, however im writing an explanation and rules post that will appear in a new thread in a bit.

Inverselaw
21-06-2011, 02:07 AM
Also Sorry Frannk and Mechanicus but your too late. Better luck next tournament.

Toeofdoom
21-06-2011, 04:36 AM
Wait. What's going on? Have we started yet?

I just looked at the tournament seeding and it's ... interesting. We have Toeofdoom (34th in Global ranking last time I checked) against Kelron (54ish GR) in the first round.

That should be a good match :)
Haha, sounds interesting. But yeah, good thing we have double elimination.
So yeah uh... if we can't find some players with the search function... how do we make matches with them? :P

Inverselaw
21-06-2011, 05:10 AM
the exact instructions are in the other thread but basicly the game lets you challenge players that arent online so you can just do that. Ive never gotten a player dosent exist error with the create game interface but then again I havent tried as many times.

imirk
21-06-2011, 06:11 AM
So there are 10 maps per pack, which do we use?

baboonanza
21-06-2011, 07:09 AM
I wonder if the players search is broken for player that created accounts after the server split? Perhaps you can only find them on the server they registered on?

J.B.
21-06-2011, 07:24 AM
I wonder if the players search is broken for player that created accounts after the server split? Perhaps you can only find them on the server they registered on?

This is what it seemed like to me, but not 100% sure.

MasterBoo
21-06-2011, 07:43 AM
The ranking system also seems broke to whoever played in the beta. I'm constantly ranked between 7000-8000 even when players with worse score than I have better ranking. The devs told me it's normal and my ranking should be normalized, but this didn't happen :S

Malawi Frontier Guard
21-06-2011, 08:35 AM

Yes, you need to be on the same server to find those players. I couldn't find circle2 searching on UK1 so I had to look up his post and log into Texas4 to get to his profile.

bonuswavepilot
21-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Had a crack at friending all the usernames I could find to get an idea who we're all up against.

Some names I couldn't find 'til I changed the capitalisation or spelling slightly, let me know if these aren't actually you, folks:

CedarMadedness -> CedarMadness
riadsala -> Riadsala
Cimethink -> cimethink
Cwoac -> cwoac
Endelnurk -> EndelNurk
Chainsawhands -> ChainsawHands

These names I couldn't find, dunno if it's just because these users haven't logged into UK1, or if the search is just a bit flaky:

Sabin
Saivyer
Ghost_Bear
Pnikosis
circle2
Jdester

Also, I assume this only tracks stats from UK1, and given some of the comments even those mightn't be too reliable, so grain of salt and so on, but interesting nonetheless (oh, and as for my own ranking, I'm still at 0-0 myself, though should have finished at least one game shortly):

http://bafflegab.org/tmp-pic/Ranking.png

Also, what do y'all reckon about setting up a youtube channel, and uploading these games as they complete? Would be good for peeps who want to follow the progress of the tournament, but don't have the game to just grab it by game number...

ColOfNature
21-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Also, what do y'all reckon about setting up a youtube channel, and uploading these games as they complete? Would be good for peeps who want to follow the progress of the tournament, but don't have the game to just grab it by game number...
Done. As of about 5 minutes ago, Mr Horace Bear is the proud owner of the YouTube channel and associated gmail account for RockPaperSynapse.

Inverselaw - nudge me on Steam next time you're on and I'll give you the password so you can <del>stick it in the spreadsheet, rather than me putting it here where anyone can see it</del> upload matches if I'm not around. Don't think I'll make the password common knowledge - it's not that I don't trust RPSers to play nice, just that it's not necessary as anyone can apparently upload any game.

Vexing Vision
21-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I never played on UK1 but I'm at around 80-60 or so. No idea about my global rank, but pretty certain I have a positive score.

Quiver in fear at my mediocre performance! :D

The YouTube-channel is a glorious idea - I'll certainly upload my matches and add them to the channel.

EndelNurk
21-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Aye, that's me, although I thought I was a couple of hundred places down from what's there. Well, I won't complain.

wererogue
21-06-2011, 11:53 AM
In (and joined the forums just to sign up)

ID: wererogue
Server: Texas 3 (there's no way that'll win)
Game mode: Dark Extermination, although I'm happy for anything.

Did I get dropped? I can't see myself on the spreadsheet :(

So... yeah, I still don't see myself. Did I screw up somewhere, or am I somehow ineligible?

psyk
21-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Is that pic the global ranking page? is messed up compared to what i see....... also when was that pic taken? 192 :D

Also what other thread?

J.B.
21-06-2011, 02:46 PM
This other thread =) (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?491-Hot-Synapse-Summer-Open-Cup-Rules-and-matching!!)

psyk
21-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Cheers for the link

EDIT - Couple of questions
Can we start our games when we like, as long as we post in the other thread?
What do we do with the maps?

Inverselaw
21-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Hi Col, I was going to make VOD's of the semi final matches and up so that sounds like a good idea. You can also use the ingame interface to watch any match once you have the ID.

Sorry Wererogue, i appear to have missed you, twice, ill update the roll.

Bonuswave, how did you manage to get it to list only the participating players?

Psyk, yes you could but the selected maps havent been marked yet, also if your not the challenger then your gonna have to wait for the other player to challenge you, in which case i suggest you send him a PM and ask him to start the match early. Who challenges who is important because it decides which side your on in the maps.

imirk
21-06-2011, 04:30 PM
After having a nose around my opponent jds ID is Jdesler not Jdester, if somone could please update the spreadsheet that would be good.

psyk
21-06-2011, 04:35 PM
kk, will keep an eye on the other thread.

baboonanza
21-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Psyk, yes you could but the selected maps havent been marked yet, also if your not the challenger then your gonna have to wait for the other player to challenge you, in which case i suggest you send him a PM and ask him to start the match early. Who challenges who is important because it decides which side your on in the maps.
Who's the challenger? The one on top?

J.B.
21-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Who's the challenger? The one on top?

If memory serves, in the other thread it says that in even numbered matches the challenger is whoever's name comes first alphabetically, in odd numbered games it's the other way around.

baboonanza
21-06-2011, 05:42 PM
If memory serves, in the other thread it says that in even numbered matches the challenger is whoever's name comes first alphabetically, in odd numbered games it's the other way around.
Fair enough, if a touch complicated. Can we have the challenger indicated on the spreadsheet please to avoid confusion, an asterisk next to the challenger's name would suffice.

Malawi Frontier Guard
21-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Custom levels are stored in psychoff/data/userlevels

Call me crazy but I haven't seen this vital bit of information anywhere in this thread.

J.B.
21-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Yeah it all seems very complicated to me, but that's why I'm not organising it I guess.

Kudos to Inverse, thanks for shouldering the load sir!

imirk
21-06-2011, 07:06 PM

Call me crazy but I haven't seen this vital bit of information anywhere in this thread.

You're Crazy!

The game tells you this when setting up the game, although there is no browser for the maps you have to copy paste the name.

ColOfNature
21-06-2011, 08:47 PM
So there's this, now: the Rock, Paper, Synapse YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/RockPaperSynapse). Only one vid so far, cos I was just testing to see if uploading someone else's games was straightforward (it is). So I'll be uploading the tourney games as they're completed, I'll set up a playlist once there's a couple of them.

In the mean time, join our Steam group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rpsyn)!

wererogue
21-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks Inverselaw! I can't get to google docs from work so I'll just clarify that my name is all lowercase.
Roll on tomorrow!

Sabin
21-06-2011, 10:32 PM
I need to double check my user name, but most likely mine's all lower case as well (user name sabin that others couldn't find). I'll post an update if it's not "sabin"

Vexing Vision
21-06-2011, 10:40 PM
There, I just played a match on UK1 to show up in whatever way you'll end up having to search for me.

Toeofdoom
22-06-2011, 03:43 AM

I think I mentioned that when I posted my thoughts on the levels, but I obviously couldn't edit it into the first post or anything so it's on about page 7...

Sabin
22-06-2011, 03:47 AM
Alright, my login's definitely "Sabin." I'm going to play a few games on UK1 tonight so hopefully I show.

Inverselaw
22-06-2011, 04:30 AM
Its also now on the first post of the matchmaking thread.

Round 0 officially starts in like 21 hours, there are no rules against starting early even a round early for people who got byes to round 1. Just as long as you post in the matchmaking thread that you sent the challenge.

I did the * thing to indicate the challenger, hopefully I didnt make a silly alphabetical order mistake :p

Is there any last minute fixes i gotta do before the official start?

baboonanza
22-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the asterisks.

Sorry if this is clarified somewhere and I missed it, but does the challenger get to choose whichever map they like?

Also, as noted in the matchmaking thread it seems that we cannot spectate on incomplete matches (I've tested this just now). While this is for the best since it prevents cheating, not that I expect anyone to do it, it does render you incomplete match arbitration rules useless. Your panel of 3 player won't be able to view the match to declare a winner.

We may just have to say that the person who hasn't committed their turn at the end of the round loses the match, though I'm not sure if we can verify that either?

Inverselaw
22-06-2011, 01:55 PM
In the spreadsheet the second row gives the rounds type and map, ie Disputed 4 means disputed game type and the map is disputed 4.

ya most likely we are barred from watching dark matches. which is unfortunate, i would have liked if we could atleast spectate the common knowledge (what both sides know)

also depending on if the current turn is odd or even you can tell if the match is waiting for the challenger or the receiver.

ColOfNature
22-06-2011, 03:24 PM
If anyone wants to add the competitors to their Friend list in-game, these [98] are all the names. You'll have to add them indiviually, unfortunately. [EDIT: disregard this bit, I'm a dolt] <del>Append the contents of the list to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\frozen synapse\psychoff\flist.txt (or whatever the equivalent if for non-Steam verisons and on other Windozes... I'll let you figure that out for yourselves). The game will automagically remove any duplicates and populate the missing info. It will also remove the 11 names at the bottom, after mine, as it can't find them on UK1. You might have to add them in by hand later</del>

There are 11 names at the bottom of the list, after mine, that it can't find on UK1 at the moment. Those names for future reference are:

Kuran
McDan
Karthink
Kanza
Wallnuss
Jarvisrodrig
Anataru
Saivyer
Vfig
Pnikosis
circle2

If you happen to be one of these fine folk, let me know once you've played on UK1 and I'll update this post.

That file again: 98

*cough* join the Steam group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rpsyn) *cough*

J.B.
22-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Thanks Col, you're a star.

Sunjumper
22-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the list Col, but the only thing Frozen Synapse does with the added info is erasing it from the file and keeping the original fireidslist intact. Adding people from the list manually works fine though.

ColOfNature
22-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Oh, damn. I could have sworn that worked for me. Sorry. I'll edit the post.

psyk
22-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Is this going to be the starting positions?

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6823/unledcgi.jpg

Fumarole
23-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Round 0 officially starts in like 21 hours, there are no rules against starting early even a round early for people who got byes to round 1. Just as long as you post in the matchmaking thread that you sent the challenge.

People with byes for round 0 (like me) cannot issue challenges yet for round 1 as we don't know who our opponent is yet. This will change over the course of the week as round 0 games are played of course.

Inverselaw
23-06-2011, 01:08 AM
yes, however some players have both themselves and their opponents with bye's so nothings stopping them from starting early.

psyk whats the name of that map? I dont remember any rocket launchers in Disputed 4

Margenal
23-06-2011, 01:08 AM
i alas don't get how will the tournament be organised, can someone please explain me? :s

wererogue
23-06-2011, 01:10 AM
Are we in round 0? The post still says not yet started. I'm eagerly awaiting my challenge - bring it on, Enoch!

I'm going to die :(

Peter Radiator Full Pig
23-06-2011, 02:19 AM
That map is extermination 3, the Round 1 map.

Inverselaw
23-06-2011, 03:03 AM
oh right, obviously :p

I beleive that your not allowed to move units during start in extermination so yes thats the starting position.

margenal, the instructions are in the other thread. From the spreadsheet i see you will be fighting either coccyx or randomnine depending on who wins.

rantOclock
23-06-2011, 05:22 AM
I'd love to start the match but I won't get home for another 2 or 3 hours at least, time differences and that.

I'm Enoch if that isn't clear.

Edit: supposed to be in reply to my soon to be nemesis wererouge

bonuswavepilot
23-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Inverselaw: I only just installed the game, so the only people on my friends list are the ones I've added for this tournament, makes getting a ranking with only these folks easy :)=

psyk: those stats would have been from about half an hour before I made the post, so a few days ago now.

Here's a new set for the folks playing along at home. These are as of about half an hour ago...
http://bafflegab.org/tmp-pic/Ranking2.png

Oh, and still no luck finding any of these usernames:
Saivyer
Pnikosis
circle2
Jarvisrodrig
Kanza
Karthink
Kuran
McDan
Vfig
Wallnuss

wererogue
23-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Darn, I'm at work now - I'll get stuck in this evening (~00:00GMT, I'm in Canada)
I have a long weekend starting tomorrow though, so I'm sure we can get through a bunch of turns :V

Sunjumper
23-06-2011, 03:01 PM
The UK1 server is now running the new server code and should be able to handle several thousand players at once now.
THis is certainly good news for the tournament and people might want to consider migrating over to UK1.

psyk
23-06-2011, 06:30 PM
psyk: those stats would have been from about half an hour before I made the post, so a few days ago now.

Yep I forgot your global rank gets changed when you move server also did you just forget to stand up?

circle
23-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Sorry you should find me now, just played a game on UK1. I'm in the Steam group already.

Peter Radiator Full Pig
24-06-2011, 12:30 AM
Come across a very interesting and important discovery. A disputed map will always spawn its boxes in the same place. Its unique to each map, but it doesnt matter how many times you play the same map, the boxes will appear the exact same location. I was thinking of telling people this after the first round, but thats against the spirit of things.
Dunno what we should do about it, but their should be no more disputed maps.

Inverselaw
24-06-2011, 01:56 AM
oh thats interesting

one solution is to make the box placement public in advance, like a map. I dont mind this because both players will have the information so its fair and the fighting over the spot where the boxes will spawn will encourage deaths, which reduce the total turn time.

Otherwise ill have to change it. Disputed 1 is the map for round 6 the final.

MasterBoo
24-06-2011, 03:58 AM
what the hell, my score isn't that really low and nor the global ranking :P
Damn beta account

Sunjumper
24-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Look at it this way boo. People will come into your match think you are an easy mark and still be smiling as the clean up team dips their still warm bodies into the recycling vats.

bonuswavepilot
25-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Psyk: yeah, was a bit of a shambles that table incident. Learned a couple of important lessons there - 1. don't fire rockets while crouching behind things, but more to the point: 2. Don't fire with a rocket guy right at the end of your turn.
I actually realised things weren't ideal, but my rocket dude started the turn in the process of firing, and wouldn't be dissuaded from his spectacular suicide at that point... :)=
Will have another turn put thru tomorrow at some juncture - bit pissed at the moment for things tactical.

ColOfNature
25-06-2011, 11:54 PM
The first result is in and uploaded to the RockPaperSynapse YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/RockPaperSynapse), where I'll be adding each match to a playlist for the relevant round as they come in, and tagging the videos with the round, combatants and game type for easy swotting up on your opponents.

If you'd like your best moments (or greatest blunders) highlighted on the channel for posterity, point me at the game id and I'll add it, or post a link to the video in the channel comments and I'll favourite it so everyone can see your tactical genius/inadequacy (delete as appropriate).

(I've duplicated this post from the other thread (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?491-Hot-Synapse-Summer-Open-Cup-Rules-and-matching%21%21&p=9907&viewfull=1#post9907), cos I wasn't sure where best to put it. Any suggestions re the channel are welcome below, in the channel comments or by PM.)

wallnuss
26-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Inverselaw: I only just installed the game, so the only people on my friends list are the ones I've added for this tournament, makes getting a ranking with only these folks easy :)=

Here's a new set for the folks playing along at home. These are as of about half an hour ago...

Oh, and still no luck finding any of these usernames:
Saivyer
Pnikosis
circle2
Jarvisrodrig
Kanza
Karthink
Kuran
McDan
Vfig
Wallnuss

you should be able to find me now ;-)

Du3lingDragon
26-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Also the boxes DONT SPAWN IN THE SAME PLACE. i checked :)

ColOfNature
26-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Looks like they only do that if you're playing a duplicate (http://fs.error420.com/wiki/Duplicate), not if you're just loading the same map repeatedly. Maybe next time that's what we should do. Oh well, you live and learn.

wererogue
26-06-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm up against Vfig next, and I've been through most of the servers (to try and make contact) without finding him/her at all. I wonder if it's a typo?

Inverselaw
27-06-2011, 02:32 AM
try lowercase.

Search works pan-server. it just gives you an error before giving you the characters information if hes on a different server.

wererogue
27-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Lowercase works!

Sadly, short of challenging with a custom map, with walls spelling "CHECK THE FORUMS", I'm at a loss for how to send a message...

bonuswavepilot
27-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Rightyo - 'nother one of these:

Have now found:
Kanzy
circle2
Wallnuss
vfig
Jarvisrodrig

Still no luck with:
Saivyer
Pnikosis
Karthink
Kuran
McDan

http://bafflegab.org/tmp-pic/Ranking3.png

baboonanza
27-06-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm determined to get to the top of that list!

circle
27-06-2011, 03:26 PM
I don't know why you can't find me. I'm playing in another tourney on UK1 now and pretty much only play there now. "circle2" all lower case.

J.B.
27-06-2011, 03:29 PM
circle, you're on the list of "found" in bonuswave's last post. =)

Malawi Frontier Guard
27-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Well I found you, which is what matters right now.

circle
27-06-2011, 03:39 PM
lol sorry just woke up, not reading properly right now

Sabin
27-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Hey everyone, I still haven't received any challenge from my round 0 challenger CedarMadness. I sent him a PM on the RPS forums here on Thursday, but haven't heard anything back. It's getting close to the end of round 0. Should I try challenging him?

vfig
27-06-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm up against Vfig next, and I've been through most of the servers (to try and make contact) without finding him/her at all. I wonder if it's a typo?

Not a typo, though it should be lowercase (if that matters for FS).

I’m just now trying to work out where I should install the maps in the Mac version of FS, and we can get the game happening.

Edit: Right, got the maps installed. I’ve not seen otherwise in this thread, but I’ll assume I should use the default advanced game settings: vis at time zero, turn limit 5, turn length 5000, I play side 1?

wererogue
27-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Huzzah! :)

circle
27-06-2011, 07:17 PM
vfig: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?491-Hot-Synapse-Summer-Open-Cup-Rules-and-matching!!&highlight=frozen+synapse (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?491-Hot-Synapse-Summer-Open-Cup-Rules-and-matching%21%21&highlight=frozen+synapse)

Inverselaw
28-06-2011, 04:16 AM
vfig, read the first post of the matchmaking thread. Extermination is 8 turns time limit.

Since the match is with rockets you should be fine. since camping is extremely hard.

The default 5 turn is very daft, its not even the time for even one of the modes.

wererogue
28-06-2011, 12:11 PM
vfig reissued the challenge with the correct settings yesterday - we're started and we've traded shotgunners.

Cooper
28-06-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm getting really confused by "round 0" being referred to "the first round." It hurts my poor little head.

But as far as I can tell, my first game is in the second round, which is round 1, which starts soon. I'll set up the game tonight, if it hasn't already been setup when I log-in

Inverselaw
28-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Its actualy karthink's job to challenge you as per the rules here (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?491-Hot-Synapse-Summer-Open-Cup-Rules-and-matching%21%21).

WombatDeath
28-06-2011, 06:55 PM
By the way, what is "Sym Elimination"?

ColOfNature
28-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Symmetric - there are a bunch of symmetrical maps in the pack Inverselaw put out.

WombatDeath
28-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Ah, thank you! Is there a way to view the maps without actually playing on them?

ColOfNature
28-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Assuming you've saved all the maps in the Frozen Synapse\psychoff\data\userlevels\ directory:

Multiplayer > Create a game > Advanced setup > Load level

WombatDeath
28-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Excellent, thank you again.

ColOfNature
28-06-2011, 11:57 PM
The RockPaperSynapse channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/RockPaperSynapse) on YouTube has sprouted a new appendage: the RPSer's Best Bits (http://www.youtube.com/user/RockPaperSynapse#p/c/82798EBE163A812A) playlist.

If you have any matches you're similarly chuffed with, or alternatively any which should stand as an example to us all of What Not To Do, do please PM me the id and server, or if they're already uploaded add a channel comment on youtube and I'll make sure the WHOLE WORLD sees it.

Web Cole
29-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Still no luck with:
Saivyer
Pnikosis
Karthink
Kuran
McDan

PM'd Kuran on these forums, as he is my opponent in the next (first?) round. Will see if I get a reply.

desvergeh
29-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Edited - I nicely posted the challenge info to the wrong thread. Edited to correct my mistake.

Kelron
29-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Didn't realise I was signed up for this, good job toeofdoom was paying attention.

baboonanza
30-06-2011, 01:53 PM
If you have any matches you're similarly chuffed with, or alternatively any which should stand as an example to us all of What Not To Do, do please PM me the id and server, or if they're already uploaded add a channel comment on youtube and I'll make sure the WHOLE WORLD sees it.
Since it's Secure up next I'll share 2 of my favourites. Hopefully the tactics may be of use to people too.

1- How not to play Secure. I have stupidly decided to bet the entire map, and have to defend it:
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y3m1y9oIxkg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="425"></iframe>
I had good fields of fire there but he could have won it easily. I think he got over-confident :)

2- How to defeat and entrenched opponent / How not to defend. Here I am attacking a player who has bid a very small amount (I didn't think defending on this map looked very easy, so I bid very small myself).
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jSScOkFoh5w" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="425"></iframe>
It looks like he has a strong and easily defended position. Knowing he's going to put a man on the window I use the distraction ploy on the first turn (run one guy first to draw fire while a second guy pops up to shoot the target) to take him out. It then goes slightly wrong when he takes out my shotgunner - I had never considered the possibility of both of his guys being in the same place - but his failure to change position makes it easy for me to come up with a play that will take them out.

In short, when defending you still need to be mobile. If the enemy knows where you are there is always a way to take you out (well, almost).

Cooper
01-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Still no luck with:
Saivyer
Pnikosis
Karthink
Kuran
McDan

Can't find Karthink on UK1, as was just gonna go ahead and set it up myself. Forum PM sent, will wait for reply.

ColOfNature
01-07-2011, 12:43 AM
He said he was on UK2 (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?74-Frozen-Synapse-PBEM-tournament&p=5526#post5526), but that was the last time he posted in the forums. If he doesn't show you get a win by default. I'd just leave it if I were you.

Web Cole
04-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Still no word from my opponent Kuran.

Vexing Vision
04-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Still no word from my opponent Kuran.

Which is a shame, as I sincerely hope for him to take you out.

Nothing personal, but that way I wouldn't have to set up the next match AGAIN. Silly "W"s.

Web Cole
04-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Which is a shame, as I sincerely hope for him to take you out.

Nothing personal, but that way I wouldn't have to set up the next match AGAIN. Silly "W"s.

Ha, as good a reason as any, I suppose :P