PDA

View Full Version : RPS Blood Bowl League - The Divisions of Death (DoD)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

cyberpunkdreams
13-02-2013, 11:46 PM
That's a freaking milestone.

It is indeed for an elf team. I'm such an elf coach that I still can't quite get to grips with the idea of having spare money in the bank​.

Web Cole
14-02-2013, 12:13 AM
I had wanted to leverage my armour advantage a bit more, but it turned into a very Elfy game indeed. I'm definitely not used to Elves v Elves, and that d/c game was probably what I needed to find my feet a bit, unfortunately for Helio. Close game, and a challenging one, gg wp :)

(Also yay for ST4 Blitzer ;) )

Heliocentric
14-02-2013, 12:17 AM
(Also yay for ST4 Blitzer ;) )

Dead in 2 games or nuffle is losing its nerve.

AgP
14-02-2013, 02:33 AM
Tried to play my Division C match with Joeyjojojuniorshabado (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/member.php?9702-Joeyjojojuniorshabadoo)o (Agathis Avengers vs The London Silly Nannies), but after just a couple of turns my system decided it needed to randomly crash. Could an admin please reset the match so that we can have another shot at it later in the week. Cheers.

Screwie
14-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Done............

Thank you kindly!

Alistair Hutton
14-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Track and Field (Jiiiiim) v (Alistair Hutton) Altdorf Army

The army was giving up millions in inducements and those inducements were spent on Zara, some babes and a cursed Wizard.

The ARmy kicked and then Blitzed getting a player under the ball. He was promptly hit but the Amazon's displayed some comedy handling and a crazy pass was attempted that went to ground. The Army cleared away the lovely ladies around it and all that was aneeded was a pickup with Reroll and a GFI for the defensive touchdown. Pickup failed. One of those games.

Eventually the Amazon's got the ball free and had all my players tied up so a couple of suicide blitz were attempetd. The first succesful but with the Amazon to Human ratio around the ball to high they got it free again and the second suicide blitz failed at the first dodge and the Amazon's scored on turn 8.

The Army then also scored on turn 8. Oh yes, even without Grayland I have the 1 turn touchdown tech. 5 Blocks and 3 dodges at -2,-1 and normal plus a GFI all without a reroll.

Into the second half and I was determined to maul the ball down the field for 8 turn to close the game out. Some overly resilient Amazonians (despite my 3 tackle players attempting to lay the smack down) meant that I couldn't secure a solid enough cage in the Amazonian half - and with the fear of the unused Wizard hanging over me I ran in a score through some slack defence on turn 4.

After kickoff The amazonians received but failed the pickup hard against the sidelines. I sent a harrying threat into the backfield, tried to deal with the two players sent into my own half and put up a decent wall infront of the Amazon's main thrust. One of the two threats was Injured and the harrying threat came _this_ close to pullnig off a 2D against block on the ball carrier but at least kept them hard up agaisnt the touchline and the wall was pretty solid but there was an set of Amazonians loose on the opposite flank. the Amazons broke to that side and threw a pass. Which was not caught.

At this point I went frikkin nuts and did wrong things in wrong order which meant I didn't have a re-roll left to GFI to 2D block the one amazon away from the ball. Instead my Blitzer fell over.

This allowed the Amazons to recover the ball and head down the field with one turn left and used the Wizard to Lightning Bolt the main blitzing threat against the otherwise exposed ball carrier.

Then I go Nuts again and on my final turn move a blitzer into the middle of the backfield affecting nothing rather than marking up the one free player that can assists the ball carrier. As aresult I try some risky chain blocking to get a TZ on the support player but fail.

A blitz removes the only player I had marking up the ball carrier and the game tying touchdown is scored on turn 8 of the second half. Gutting.

Now I need a win against Mad Dave's terrifying Nurgle mans to get promotion.

TheKenwyne
14-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Changed team to humans because, being out of practice, maybe jumping right back in with darned elves isn't the brightest idea. Sorry if this buggers anything up!

ChainsawHands
14-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Elves are awesome; humans suck.

Heliocentric
14-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Elves are awesome; humans suck.

*flips the horns and runs around*
Wooooooooooooooo!

President Weasel
14-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Human Mans are not who I'd suggest for someone out of practice. Some sort of half-decent-armour elfs: Posh Elfs or Goth Elfs. Ag4 is wonderfully forgiving, and AV8 will keep enough of them alive long enough. There are plenty of high elf slots available whereas Humans are full, which is wierd.
Kenwyne, you should be fine to choose humans except in the unlikely event an existing player decides to reboot to them (which would be wierd).

President Weasel
14-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Hey Sandman, welcome to the Divs.

Division 2: Read in Tooth and Claw (Necro, me) vs. Primordial Stew (Nurgle, Jolima)

Jolima's wizard killed my Ag4 ghoul. A game happened either side of that, but nothing of importance occurred.

Dammit.

Nothing of importance unless you count you going 3 for 3, utterly crushing the division, and cruising to promotion you mean. You could have lost the game and still being promoted; winning every game and beating the division 6 touchdowns to 2 is just rubbing it in.

The Red Skull Reavers will stay in Tier 1 (which is probably where they, and I, belong) and Jolima and Drawlien will take their slightly too new teams back to Tier 2 to develop and plot their inevitable return to the Champs.

mrpier
14-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Div. E can be rolled on to day three and if someone can validate the match between me and Dentharial I'll be mighty pleased.

President Weasel
14-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Done (de do do do 10 chars)

TheKenwyne
14-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Human mans are the team I have played the most though; and I am off posh elves after two teams I played in Nagaroth got reduced to 9 permanent players with some at least one niggler. Plus Human mans are pretty versatile so I can deal with elvsies and dorfs and whatever else unpleasantness I am matched up with - thanks for the advice but I think I can human mans more successfully at this time. Plus I have some badass pope names I want to implement - lemme know if I need to change.

NieA7
14-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Nothing of importance unless you count you going 3 for 3, utterly crushing the division, and cruising to promotion you mean. You could have lost the game and still being promoted; winning every game and beating the division 6 touchdowns to 2 is just rubbing it in.

Been a good season, but guessing at the makeup of the champs it's going to be a never-ending tidal wave of bash. The Ag4 ghoul was the only trick I had up my sleeve, without poor Ankle Biter I've got a very poor passing game and no wrestle anywhere. Add the rookie wight in and I've a sneaking suspicion next season will be Claw's last, they don't have the agility to escape or the strength to fight back. Still, not going to go down without a fight, Claw are 7 for 7 at the moment (14 TDs scored to 4 conceded over those games, with 11 wins out of the last 14 matches and only 1 loss): that's as good a record as you could hope for on a tombstone.

Janek
14-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Validated results in divisions 1 and D, and rolled both to day 3.

MadDave123
14-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Now I need a win against Mad Dave's terrifying Nurgle mans to get promotion.
They're not terrifying so much as really friendly and a little bit stinky. :)

groovychainsaw
15-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Week 2's nearly up (finishes tomorrow)! Get playing if you haven't already! I'll be defaulting games sunday night if I don't hear from you/see a game being attempted in the groups. Season is due to end 26/02, welcome to all the new guys I've seen posting in here last couple of days, make sure you're on the sheet, around near the 26th for the divisions draw and to get your applications in in-game once selected!

President Weasel
15-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Division A, and now Division 2 as well, have finished their entire seasons and some of you haven't even managed to finish week 2 yet. It's shameful, that's what it is. Shameful.
Get your games arranged, you bums.

ChainsawHands
15-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Division A, and now Division 2 as well, have finished their entire seasons and some of you haven't even managed to finish week 2 yet. It's shameful, that's what it is. Shameful.
Get your games arranged, you bums.You know, much as I have in the past complained about Pweasel not being a real president, with stuff like this... you've got my vote, you magnificent mustelid.

Zoraster
15-02-2013, 12:52 PM
It isn't arranging games that is the problem Pres, it is getting the buggers to actually turn up. I've managed just 5 games in the last 3 months and one of those was wiped out by a premature admin result.

Alistair Hutton
15-02-2013, 02:25 PM
They're not terrifying so much as really friendly and a little bit stinky. :)

Nurgle are kryptonite to my team and play style. I hate the slimey mans so much.

potatoedoughnut
15-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Just a note: Grinn and I are scheduled to play our Champs match Sun morning.

Everblue
15-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Genuinely, I don't see the need for waiting for people, or for extensions. If people don't want to play that's fine, admin the games and make them sit out next season. The gameweeks are long enough.

President Weasel
15-02-2013, 06:37 PM
There is the occasional special case, people with busy schedules, people with incompatible timezones who can only play on weekends. Sometimes there's a good reason to give a day or two's grace to get the game in, especially if it can have an effect on promotions/demotions.
People who treat the approach of the deadline as a signal to "oh, I'd better get round to trying to arrange my game" though, those people need to get their acts together.

Delusibeta
15-02-2013, 09:03 PM
On the subject of being slow to arrange stuff, I've got a pile of work this week, and as such I've penciled in my week 3 match vs. mrpier for Thursday evening.

Hey, at least it's week 3 and I'm not going to hold up anyone.

Heliocentric
15-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Genuinely, I don't see the need for waiting for people, or for extensions. If people don't want to play that's fine, admin the games and make them sit out next season. The gameweeks are long enough.You are a glowing ray of sunshine.

President Weasel
15-02-2013, 10:01 PM
On the subject of being slow to arrange stuff, I've got a pile of work this week, and as such I've penciled in my week 3 match vs. mrpier for Thursday evening.

Hey, at least it's week 3 and I'm not going to hold up anyone.

Yes. It is perfectly fine for you to play your week three match in week 3. No one will shout at you or throw things.

Dog Pants
16-02-2013, 10:11 AM
admin the games and make them sit out next season

While I appreciate the need for keeping things moving, don't you think that punishing people for not getting their games in on time will just drive them away? It just seems like a fast track to making the league smaller.

President Weasel
16-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Don't you wave your arms at me!
The "weeks" are already longer than a week, to allow people more chances to get their games in. Do we lose more people by being strict about it, or do we lose more people by allowing each season to last an additional week because a minority of people can't get their shit together, while the rest of the players get bored and pissed off? And do we even want to keep people who can't grasp the concept of getting their games organised and played? And I'm not talking about the people with new babies or busy times at work or other reasonable excuses, as I've noticed they also tend to be the people who still make an effort to get their games in, or to explain and apologise ahead of time.

So, for people who repeatedly only wake up around deadline day, try to get their game organised at short notice, and then ask for an extension, what should we do? I don't think kicking them out is the answer, but I do think saying no to the extension is.

If you're in a league that has matches every ten days how can it be a surprise to you that there is a match every ten days?

Dog Pants
16-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Of course, you can't delay everyone forever. You pipped me to the post on where I was going with this though - do we like a league that moves along at a reasonable pace but that some people leave because they don't like being pressured to get their games in, or one that trundles along at a leisurely pace but that people leave because they get bored of waiting? I'm inclined to agree to default to no extensions though, legitimate excuses notwithstanding, it was making people forfeit a season that seemed like a suggestion too far to me. For what it's worth.

Incidentally, I played all my matches as of a week ago :)

Heliocentric
16-02-2013, 02:16 PM
I have a suggestion, it's slightly off kilter and would need policing.

What if tardy people got bundled together in a "to pace" division(s) . Which might take 2 season to play out 1 season.

The Brain
16-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Just played the final game of Div H against Palindrome. Despite his anticipation of another beating it was his team that dished out the hurt. I killed one loner lineman with a fireball and that was about it. I however only had 5 players left on the pitch by half time. The game ended 2-0 to Palindrome.

I've never had such a run of bad injuries as I have with this Delf team. They make my AV7 Elf team look like Orcs! So that is 3 games played and 0 TDs. I finally got a level up after my runner got MVP and a completion but I also took -AG to the lineman that had the first MVP so I'm giving this team up as cursed. I'll be rebooting next season to a Necromantic team to see if I can fare any better with them. Onwards my shambling minions, Onwards!

edit: Have changed my team name on the spreadsheet but haven't messed around with the 'next season' column since it's not on display yet.

palindrome
16-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Nuffle was not kind, His Delfs were dodging like zombies and he managed to get a double skull re-rolled to a double skull.

After 3 seasons I have finally managed to level one of my werewolves (who made almost as many SPPs in a single game as he has in his entire career) and my AG 4 runner is now level 3. They will still be withdrawing but at least I may not delete them :)

potatoedoughnut
16-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Just played the final game of Div H against Palindrome. Despite his anticipation of another beating it was his team that dished out the hurt. I killed one loner lineman with a fireball and that was about it. I however only had 5 players left on the pitch by half time. The game ended 2-0 to Palindrome.

I've never had such a run of bad injuries as I have with this Delf team. They make my AV7 Elf team look like Orcs! So that is 3 games played and 0 TDs. I finally got a level up after my runner got MVP and a completion but I also took -AG to the lineman that had the first MVP so I'm giving this team up as cursed. I'll be rebooting next season to a Necromantic team to see if I can fare any better with them. Onwards my shambling minions, Onwards!

edit: Have changed my team name on the spreadsheet but haven't messed around with the 'next season' column since it's not on display yet.

Did no one tell you? Delfs are cursed.

The Brain
16-02-2013, 11:44 PM
I believe it now. They broke armour almost every time they were hit, failed roughly 50% of their dodges and rolled skulls like they were going out of fashion. On both of my last two games I was down to a handful of men within a few turns. I could put it down to poor positioning on my part but I never had this much of a problem with my Pro elves and they had less armour. I will admit to playing poorly once it was obvious I was going to lose as I started to take stupid risks. Basically I'm thinking it couldn't get any worse so may as well try for a risky play. Mostly that led to more skulls.

AgP
17-02-2013, 12:58 AM
Division C Agathis Avengers vs The London Silly Nannies. Tried to play our game for the second time - similar result - though this time actually cyanided before the kick-off! Could a kindly admin please reset the game (again).

mrchinchin25
17-02-2013, 01:09 AM
I think I've followed the instructions correctly and added my details, but anyway I'd like to join in! Group membership requested, and I've added myself to the magic spreadsheet..

Heliocentric
17-02-2013, 04:10 AM
Did no one tell you? Delfs are cursed.

Their stat's lead to bad play too, all that block shuns positioning, all that ag4 encourages 1/6 fail dodges (conversely a 2 die block without block is 1/9 "fail"), the skill dodge only serves to protect vs burned rerolls, its still just as dangerous as a regular dodge if you still have the reroll.

Catch skill catchers and pass skill passers make a 2+pass & 2+catch safer than 2 GFI's (as each is ensured its own reroll) if you cant die from failing a pass, DElves start with neither, meaning more dodges, more GFI's and more desperate blocks.

Its insane because on paper they are an A grade team, decent enough toughness, block access like orcs, AG4, access to toys like stab.

grinn
17-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Just played my Champs match against PotatoD s Clone High.

Potato chose to receive. The first block badly hurts a Black Orc. Necros hang back for a few turns while sending their doggies on the right flank. Rok 'Ard Nobz do what they can to defend but Potato's Michael Jackson wannabes pour through without much effort. They delay scoring for a few turns but pot the ball in on turn 15.

The Nobz reply with a flanking offensive... only they're not as fast or dodgy. They do get Ingvi Gobsteen, their star blitzer deep into the necro half, however. Necros try to block Ingvi, but his Norse-Black Orc genes shine through and he blitzes his way into the end zone, receiving a pass from the free thrower and equalizing at half time.

Rok Ard Nobz receive the ball and their jumpy killer ends up groin bitten by a bastard doggy in the second turn. Orc down is not a good place to be, especially when that leaves you only one tackle. Hmm. Kowc screams for Ingvi to abandon his defensive position and play Mork's run. Thrower is in a loose cage at the centre which is going nowhere. The cage moves to the left flank and gains some ground, but it is quickly moonwalked all over the show. Kowc is stomping on the sidelines calling for Da Morky Taktikz.

Ingvi dodges away from zombieboys and sprints boldly to the endzone. The flanking blitzers and black orcs clear a path for the thrower to sprint up and pass. SCOREEEE! Game is 2-1 for the Nobz with 5 turns to go.

Necros are still a man up and their advantage increases as the enraged zombiefans chuck a rock at lino Rowdi opening up the right flank. Doggy stuns a blitzer and is deep down the half, but Ingvi is waiting in the central defensive endzone to contain the rabid blodger. But ball handling fails the high Cloners and a doggy-ghoul combo is left staring at a loose ball.

Kowc is sniffing shrooms and screaming on the sidelines for the Nobz to capitalize on the necro mistake and charge up. But there's only a thrower and a black orc in range... which manage to push aside the intervening wight allowing thrower to grab the ball from under puppy eyes and dodge away... only to be shadowed by the hound. Not good.

Hound blocks thrower into the ground and the ghoul partner sweeps up the ball... only to be knocked down again. There s a bit of back and forth on the mid left flank, another skirmish on the deep right flank and another pile up of zombies, golems and black orcs in the centre. Eventually the Nobz punch through and thrower makes it into the endzone, ending the match 3-1.

Great game that seemed to be going necro way for a while and then Nuffle's glorious wind turned to blow into Rok Ard Nobz patchy sails.

AgP
17-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Division C Agathis Avengers vs The London Silly Nannies. Tried to play our game for the second time - similar result - though this time actually cyanided before the kick-off! Could a kindly admin please reset the game (again).

Thank you to the kind soul who reset the match. Joey and me will try again tonight and hopefully it'll be third time lucky, so please don't default the game just yet.

MadDave123
17-02-2013, 11:01 PM
Hello glorious leaders. Cacamas and I haven't been able to get our game in due to schedules not coinciding all week. Next Tuesday is pencilled in if we're allowed an extension, or if not then a 0-0 admin also works.

frenz0rz
17-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Can we get Division J validated please? All games are done but I'm eager to level up my ulfwerener :)

Janek
17-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Done, Done.

President Weasel
17-02-2013, 11:45 PM
It does look like you guys at least tried to arrange it - there's a post from Dave on the 10th, which is 6 days before the deadline, and a post from Cacamas on the 14th, which is 2 before the deadline. Even Sunday is a day after the deadline though, Tuesday is a full 3. I think we're going to have to 0-0 it.

Heliocentric
18-02-2013, 01:05 AM
The Div H table is bugging out, webcole is the actual winner and it has him as last.

President Weasel
18-02-2013, 01:12 AM
Division B - outstanding match set to 0-0, moved on to day 3.
Division C - outstanding match set to 0-0, moved on to day 3.
Division G - I reckon I am going to give Zoraster another auto-win, since he turned up. 2-0 Zoraster, moving on the division to day 3.

Can Zoraster's day 3 opponent please give him an actual game, so he's not all grumpy in the thread any more?

President Weasel
18-02-2013, 01:19 AM
The Div H table is bugging out, webcole is the actual winner and it has him as last.

Someone appears to have buggered div H on the spreadsheet - a coach now has '--' instead of a name.

Heliocentric
18-02-2013, 02:20 AM
Just thought this was interesting, as it stands next season Dwarves, Humans, Lizardmen, Nurgle and Skaven are full.

Halfling and Ogre are Empty, goblins and vamps have 1 team each and every other side has 2,3 or 4 players.

The Brain
18-02-2013, 07:32 AM
Someone appears to have buggered div H on the spreadsheet - a coach now has '--' instead of a name.

Fixed! Palindrome had changed his 'current Div' in the spreadsheet to R1 to show he is rebooting next season but it meant he vanished from Div H. I've changed it back to H. Both Palindrome and I are rebooting next season but have not changed the 'next season' column yet since it's not being displayed.

President Weasel
18-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Good work, the Brain. I fear the spreadsheet's complexity so try to fiddle with it as little as I can get away with.

groovychainsaw
18-02-2013, 10:20 AM
I've just re-enabled the 'next season' column so put it in there. I should really re-enable it sooner, sorry chaps :-).

palindrome
18-02-2013, 10:26 AM

Sorry for killing the spreadsheet.

President Weasel
18-02-2013, 12:42 PM
oh, hey, that reminds me

IT IS NEXT WEEK NOW, GET YOUR GAMES IN

(that would be Week 3)

JayTee
18-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Halfling and Ogre are Empty, goblins and vamps have 1 team each and every other side has 2,3 or 4 players.Khemri also now have 1 team each as I'm rebooting to the beardy-chaosy-shorty ones.

Mr Dogpants, it's up to you to keep up the rottingness!

Web Cole
18-02-2013, 04:20 PM

Whats the situation with this? I'm not at home right now :/

President Weasel
18-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Sorted; there was a glitch because of reasons and it is fixed now.

Dog Pants
18-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Khemri also now have 1 team each as I'm rebooting to the beardy-chaosy-shorty ones.

Mr Dogpants, it's up to you to keep up the rottingness!

Aye-aye! I'll make sure I take more Mighty Blow.

Screwie
18-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Hmm I can see Tier 1 shaping up for next season, with 5 of the 8 teams now set. So far it's a surprisingly good mix! I was anticipating too much Dwarf and/or Nurgle.

President Weasel
18-02-2013, 07:09 PM
So you're saying there will be none of those accursed dwarfs or nurgles to prevent my chaosmans from killing everything in their path?

Screwie
18-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Well, not entirely free but certainly not as nasty as it could have been.

The teams defintiely in Tier 1 next season are:
Snoozer's Dwarfs
potatoedoughnut's Necro
boots' Lizards
PW's Chaos
Screwie's Dark Elves

Each of the final three places are still up for grabs, but they are between:
Hutton/Jiiim/MadDave (Hum/Ama/Nur)
smaug/AgP (Nur/WElf)
Groovy/iNinja (Hum/Ska)

Barring surprise dropouts/reboots, of course.

20phoenix
18-02-2013, 08:53 PM

Snoozer's Dwarfs
potatoedougnut's Necro
boots' Lizards
PW's Chaos
Screwie's Dark Elves

smaug/AgP (Nur/WElf)
Groovy/iNinja (Hum/Ska)

Pah - I feel like I got stiffed last season now!!

potatoedoughnut
18-02-2013, 09:07 PM

Snoozer's Dwarfs
potatoedougnut's Necro
boots' Lizards
PW's Chaos
Screwie's Dark Elves

smaug/AgP (Nur/WElf)
Groovy/iNinja (Hum/Ska)

I really would like to drop my necros and start a new team, I'm just waiting for one of my stars (2 lvl 6 wolves and a level 6 ghoul with 9347) to die. It seems for the last several seasons it's been draw after draw with the occasional loss mixed in. I'll probably give the necros at least 1 more season unless snoozer's dwarves murder everyone.

President Weasel
18-02-2013, 09:12 PM
I really would like to drop my necros and start a new team, I'm just waiting for one of my stars (2 lvl 6 wolves and a level 6 ghoul with 9347) to die. It seems for the last several seasons it's been draw after draw with the occasional loss mixed in. I'll probably give the necros at least 1 more season unless snoozer's dwarves murder everyone.

If that was true wouldn't you be in the lowest tier instead of challenging for promotion to 1?

NieA7
18-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Necro coaches are, by nature, somewhat pessimistic about their teams performance. I think it's something to do with the moon and werewolves.

The Brain
18-02-2013, 11:16 PM
They must all be be lunatics! Since I'll be joining them next season, have you got any tips for me PDoughnut?

Walrus
19-02-2013, 02:51 AM
A quick question: Would it be possible for me to roll a team for next season(thinking about a new team, probably vamps)? Is there actually room for a new team in the league?

Also I suspect CE is not mandatory, meaning CE and LE are compatible, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Heliocentric
19-02-2013, 03:18 AM
A quick question: Would it be possible for me to roll a team for next season(thinking about a new team, probably vamps)? Is there actually room for a new team in the league?Welcome aboard.

Also I suspect CE is not mandatory, meaning CE and LE are compatible
Totally compatible. Chaos Edition garners more choices, that's all.

potatoedoughnut
19-02-2013, 04:17 AM
If that was true wouldn't you be in the lowest tier instead of challenging for promotion to 1?

My record is LLWDDWWDDDLLWDDLWDDDLWDWDD for the time I'm willing to scroll in BB. That's 7-6-13 if I'm counting correctly, which isn't exactly inspiring, but good enough to float around Teir 1.

Brain - I think they're a good team, but I've taken 0 ball handling skills so struggle with scoring, which is important I guess? I built my team kinda weird focusing on a lot of SS and SF to be really annoying. Which I'm sure it is, but it doesn't do a very good job at causing cas or moving the ball.

Having an AG4 player is HUGE, so, umm, roll well on skill ups? The wolves are going to be your stars. Ghouls are awesome, but will die all the time. My wights and golems leveled up slowly, but are both workhorses with guard.

If I did it again I'd be more aggressive about sacing players who don't skill up well. My blodgestep, tackle, shadowing wolves are great, but would be much much better with a stat up or double for MB. So I'd say if they don't roll a double by the time they have blodgestep I'd fire them and try again.

I might also consider building a wight as a killer with POMB, but usually the wolves do the blitzing w/ claw, so I'm not sold on that development.

Axler
19-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Grab on a Wight can be handy for setting up crowd pushes and getting rid of annoying blodge sidesteppers in your cage.

The Brain
19-02-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm thinking that tackle will be better off on wights than WW as they can get MB easily to beat up all those AV7 dodge players. It also means I'm not wasting claw when I could be blitzing the heavy AV players without dodge.

Everblue
19-02-2013, 01:42 PM
My undead team has one tackle wight and one killer. Works pretty well so far.

Heliocentric
19-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Can everyone yet to play match 3 hurry up, I want to see who I'm facing next season set so I can advise which skill up to get my blodge sidestep blitzer.

It's either tackle(don't have any yet) if I face a dodge in much quantity, diving tackle (have 1) if elves or fend (have non but it's a nice anti bash measure) for pretty much everything else.

I know, choosing skills short term is bad. I'm av7 and I'm besmirching nuffle, looking at the next 3 matches is long term.

ChainsawHands
19-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Your blitzers are AV8!

And take tackle.

groovychainsaw
19-02-2013, 03:12 PM
I've got a good one before my final game. Bullseye, my key thrower, already has sure hands, pass, strong arm, accurate and dump off. He's about as competent as a thrower will get, short of an ag upgrade.

He just rolled another double. I've been perversely avoiding block to make dump-off something I will actually use (with block, I'd turn it down all the time and the skill would be wasted, plus a lot of blitzers i face have wrestle these days anyway), so what should I go for? A normal roll would have been easy,my plan was to get nerves of steel to make that dump-off a 2+ every time. It also gives me more places to run into to make a throw (potentially standing next to opposition..).Is there an alternative to NoS?What would you choose? Sure feet to help get the range down? Dodge? Suggestions please! (remember, no block!)

Screwie
19-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Your blitzers are AV8!

And take tackle.

Yes to this. Tackle now, Diving Tackle next.

EDIT:

He just rolled another double. I've been perversely avoiding block to make dump-off something I will actually use (with block, I'd turn it down all the time and the skill would be wasted, plus a lot of blitzers i face have wrestle these days anyway), so what should I go for? A normal roll would have been easy,my plan was to get nerves of steel to make that dump-off a 2+ every time. It also gives me more places to run into to make a throw (potentially standing next to opposition..).Is there an alternative to NoS?What would you choose? Sure feet to help get the range down? Dodge? Suggestions please! (remember, no block!)

I would ignore the double and save yourself a little TV. NoS is almost a must for Dump-Off, it's a little flaky without it.

President Weasel
19-02-2013, 03:45 PM
You've already given him the skills I'd have told you to give him, particularly the strong arm on a double. So why not give him safe throw to make his throws safer? Other than that, nerves of steel is a good choice, although to be honest I think he's already got too many skills and all this levelling up you're doing is taking an excellent passer and turning him into an excellent passer who gives your opponent free stuff, so don't take the double.

Alternatively, take wrestle in case you ever have to tackle someone - that way you'll still not want him to get hit, since a both down result will mean you lose the ball, and you'll not lose any perceived value in your dump-off.

Heliocentric
19-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Your blitzers are AV8!

Yes, av8 and surrounded by men made of glass. I guess I'll have to consider tackle.

potatoedoughnut
19-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Yes, av8 and surrounded by men made of glass. I guess I'll have to consider tackle.

I'd go with tackle on the blitzer. He'll need it (and DT) eventually. I'd skip fend as he already had blodgestep and fend fills a similar role.

For the thrower - I'd consider dodge to help him get around the field, but if he's just hanging out on the backfield or sitting somewhere you want him to get hit then it's a waste of TV. NoS is good with dump off. If you want to give him something to do on offense I'd give him wrestle or block.

Everblue
19-02-2013, 06:00 PM
@Groovy - take block or fend. If your plan is for him to get hit, it might be nice if he had a chance of surviving.

@Helio - Difficult choice. I would go for DT as it works well with blodgestep. Tackle is for the catchers who do your blitzing.

Heliocentric
19-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Thing is, sidestep fend is all manner of bastardry it can make blitzing out of a marker 5 times more irritating as you cant even use hitting him to dodge the other marker, instead you end up resorting to actual dodges which is where DT becomes a real menace.

If the fend-sidestepper has the ball? suddenly hitting him is meaning he doesn't even need to blitz you away. Its an odd one... I'll take your comments under consideration but i guess it depends on if I face a monstrous set of bastards next few games.

@Helio - Difficult choice. I would go for DT as it works well with blodgestep. Tackle is for the catchers who do your blitzing.Its true, my blitzers more often mark and assist, my wrestle lineman tends to do most of my blitzing dragging down my opponents blockers so I can encircle and punch the others.

NieA7
19-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Brain - Necro are great but they're a team of specialists, they really suffer if you lose a positional as training replacements takes a long time. I've built the wolves as blitzers (block/dodge/sidestep/tackle/dauntless), golems as support (block/guard/MB or grab or break tackle) and the Wights as general purpose supports (guard/tackle or mighty blow or stand firm or juggernaut or grab). Ghouls are interesting as they can go a number of ways, I've tended to go for one carrier (block/sure hands/sidestep/fend/kick-off return) and one safety (wrestle/tackle/sidestep/strip ball). Like potatoedoughnut says Ag4 is huge, if any of your guys rolls it take it immediately - it opens up a moderate passing game, making the speed of the wolves deadly. Zombies get thrown at anything dangerous, aside from one with kick just give them skills to survive that better and fire them if they get to level 4 without anything interesting.

Tactically the sidelines are your kingdom, force attacks down the edges and threaten crowd surfs with the wolves. Setting up asymmetrically on receiving to pile all your dudes down one edge can work neatly too, doubly so if you can get Ag4 and hold the ball in your half of the field while you do it.

That's 7-6-13 if I'm counting correctly

It's funny how the Divs work, I really like the short seasons. Claw's record is 26-9-12 over their lifetime, but this will be the first time they've reached the champs. Clone High is a much better developed side, Claw have had far too many dead or career-endingly injured lvl 4 players.

@Helio - Fend's nice and all but it's a handy skill rather than an essential one. Tackle's always useful, especially as you can go DT or Shadowing later. It's just as useful on a marker as a blitzer too, given it cancels dodge in both cases.

@Groovy - If your determined to go with this dump-off madness (madness!) then I'd be thinking about wrestle (still need to use dump off but it protects him in the mean time, plus stops the blitzer following up on to whoever caught the ball), sidestep/stand firm (to be awkward after the blitz, if still standing), safe throw or nerves of steel. Probably wrestle just to help keep him alive that much longer, too useful a piece to lose easily and the doubles choices are pretty marginal.

potatoedoughnut
19-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Tactically the sidelines are your kingdom, force attacks down the edges and threaten crowd surfs with the wolves. Setting up asymmetrically on receiving to pile all your dudes down one edge can work neatly too, doubly so if you can get Ag4 and hold the ball in your half of the field while you do it.

It's funny how the Divs work, I really like the short seasons. Claw's record is 26-9-12 over their lifetime, but this will be the first time they've reached the champs. Clone High is a much better developed side, Claw have had far too many dead or career-endingly injured lvl 4 players.

Yeah sidelines are your place to shine. Once you get sidestep on a few players you can use SF and SS to rule the sidelines and frenzy to threaten pushes.

Regarding Clone High - I've been very lucky to have my wolves and 1 ghoul go without death or career enders; however, my wights and golems and the other ghoul seem to die pretty regularly. It really hurts to lose a guard player as you don't have much strength and can't fall back on an agility game reliably. Also it takes forever to level necros against a developed teams. You often have to choose between a risky play to get SPP on a new guy or a safe play that adds more SPP to your already leveled stars.

The Brain
19-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Brain - Necro are great but they're a team of specialists, they really suffer if you lose a positional as training replacements takes a long time. I've built the wolves as blitzers (block/dodge/sidestep/tackle/dauntless), golems as support (block/guard/MB or grab or break tackle) and the Wights as general purpose supports (guard/tackle or mighty blow or stand firm or juggernaut or grab). Ghouls are interesting as they can go a number of ways, I've tended to go for one carrier (block/sure hands/sidestep/fend/kick-off return) and one safety (wrestle/tackle/sidestep/strip ball). Like potatoedoughnut says Ag4 is huge, if any of your guys rolls it take it immediately - it opens up a moderate passing game, making the speed of the wolves deadly. Zombies get thrown at anything dangerous, aside from one with kick just give them skills to survive that better and fire them if they get to level 4 without anything interesting.

That is pretty much how I plan to develop my team. I aim to use on Ghoul on offence and one on defence to limit the number of vulnerable players on the pitch at once. It will also let me field a kick zombie. Dauntless on the wolves seems like a great idea since it will make it easier for them to terrorize ST4 players and big guys and make the most of claw. I know PDoughnut was lamenting the lack of ball handling skills on his team but apart from SH on a ghoul I'm not sure how much more I would want to take. Catch would be good for handoffs but there are so many other skills I would want instead. Maybe it would work on a ghoul if you play two at once on offence.

President Weasel
19-02-2013, 10:26 PM
My record is LLWDDWWDDDLLWDDLWDDDLWDWDD for the time I'm willing to scroll in BB. That's 7-6-13 if I'm counting correctly, which isn't exactly inspiring, but good enough to float around Teir 1.

Here's my record, going backwards from the present into the distant past when the team was founded (17/07/2011 is their first ever recorded match).

W D L W W D W D L L W W L D D L D L D W L W L W D W L D L D W L L W D D W W W W W W W W

From this we can see:

1) The pace of the divisions move too slowly, and people need to get their damn games in :)
2) Even when I was thinking of retiring the team, while I was plummeting from that one season in the champs away down into tier 2, I wasn't actually doing as badly as I thought
3) The Red Skull Reavers got a bit of an easy ride starting out. Or I was better at blood bowl in the olden days.

20 Wins, 12 draws, 12 losses
12 - 12 - 12 if you discount that initial winning streak. Nicely symmetrical, and actually better than I thought.

NieA7
20-02-2013, 01:19 AM
That is pretty much how I plan to develop my team. I aim to use on Ghoul on offence and one on defence to limit the number of vulnerable players on the pitch at once. It will also let me field a kick zombie.

I tend to just field the safety on defense but on offense they both go out - having two MA7 and two MA8 players on the field lets you move the ball unfeasibly far in a single turn, albeit with some fairly risky catches. I almost always try and score as quickly as possibly though, Necro are much, much better at defense than offense (the way I play them at least).

Dauntless on the wolves seems like a great idea since it will make it easier for them to terrorize ST4 players and big guys and make the most of claw.

Yeah, Mighty Blow would be utterly lovely but 8/3/3/8 Regen/Claws/Frenzy/Block/Dodge/Sidestep/Tackle/Dauntless wouldn't exactly be a bad player.

TechnoJellyfish
20-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Hi there, everyone!

To my sheer surprise, I discovered Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition among 2012's Christmas presents (well, OK, it was sitting on my wishlist for ages). Maybe I should mention the fact that I don't have any former experience with the tabletop game. I do have a weak spot for turn-based strategy games (mostly in the 4X genre), though.

Currently, I'm working my way through the rulebook to get at least a basic grasp of the mechanics. I'm also planning to get a handful of games vs. the AI done in the next few days to get used to the UI and whatnot.

I haven't added my details to the spreadsheet, because I haven't decided on a team yet. If I haven't misread the spreadsheet, the number of players per race seems to be limited. I don't mind contributing to make the league a more balanced affair, so which of the underrepresented teams would be a sensible choice for a noobish player like me?

Also, when exactly does the next season begin (the current season ends on the 26th, no?) and is there a deadline for enrolling?

Anyway, if nothing stupid gets in the way, I'll have created my team and submitted my details before the end of the week. Looking forward to playing with you chaps!

Screwie
20-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Currently, I'm working my way through the rulebook to get at least a basic grasp of the mechanics. I'm also planning to get a handful of games vs. the AI done in the next few days to get used to the UI and whatnot.

Reading the rulebook is the very best thing you can do to prepare yourself. Nice one!

I haven't added my details to the spreadsheet, because I haven't decided on a team yet. If I haven't misread the spreadsheet, the number of players per race seems to be limited. I don't mind contributing to make the league a more balanced affair, so which of the underrepresented teams would be a sensible choice for a noobish player like me?

There is a tab on the spreadsheet called "Race Balance", which calculates which teams are still available for the next season.

Also, when exactly does the next season begin (the current season ends on the 26th, no?) and is there a deadline for enrolling?

We're on the final week of the current season, so it should be wrapping up in a week or so. There's no rigid deadline as the admins sometimes have to fill vacant spots at the last minute, but no reason not to get your application in early (on the spreadsheet, just mark your Division on the sheet as Nx where x is the next available number).

Welcome aboard!

JayTee
20-02-2013, 11:18 AM
I haven't added my details to the spreadsheet, because I haven't decided on a team yet. If I haven't misread the spreadsheet, the number of players per race seems to be limited. I don't mind contributing to make the league a more balanced affair, so which of the underrepresented teams would be a sensible choice for a noobish player like me?From what is still free, I'd say:

Chaos - If you want to bash, but still have some semblance of passing play unlike say Khemri. Start pretty slow though due to a lack of some of the basic skills
Wood Elf - If you want to play the passing/running/dodging/being-an-elf-bastard game. Just make sure you're not overly attached to your squishy, squishy players

Necros or Undead are also equally rookie-friendly I feel.

NieA7
20-02-2013, 11:20 AM
I don't mind contributing to make the league a more balanced affair, so which of the underrepresented teams would be a sensible choice for a noobish player like me?

It's potentially subject to change before the league ends anyway, but at the moment Dwarf, Human, Lizardmen, Nurgle and Skaven are full. There's one Orc slot and one Undead slot available, both are a very solid teams to start out with. You could also consider Chaos Dwarf if you want to go a bit bashier, or High Elf if you fancy the agility route. BBTactics (http://bbtactics.com/) has very neat overviews of the strengths and weaknesses of each race.

LowKey
20-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Underworld is the only correct answer always.

President Weasel
20-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Chaos is a poor choice for a new player - no starting skills at all and a bunch of players who initially start off identical, giving you no real clue what they're supposed to be doing on the pitch, and then have a confusing plethora of development options.

Admittedly some of the "clues" like the orcs having a player who is theoretically a "thrower" are red herrings, as he should more properly be described as a "pick the ball up and then keep it guy".

Orcs are often suggested as an ideal team for new players, but high elfs are also a good choice. A completely different play style, but one it is easy to comprehend (keep the ball safe with a thrower in your half, get a receiver relatively free at the other end, pass the ball, touchdown!). Also the players aren't terrifyingly fragile, like the pro elfs and flower elfs, nor are they universally slow like the amazons.

Ethelred
20-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Hi All,

As a fond player of tabletop game many, many years ago I've been working through the AI opponents on the BB:Legendary Edition.

I think I've grasped the basics and want to get involved in the league! (to no doubt be humbled).

I'll add my details to the table - do I need to buy the Chaos edition to participate or is the LE one OK?

Thanks!

Screwie
20-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Admittedly some of the "clues" like the orcs having a player who is theoretically a "thrower" are red herrings, as he should more properly be described as a "pick the ball up and then keep it guy".

Don't forget about the goblins, PW! They let your orcy thowers fulfil their ball-chucking dreams. :P

President Weasel
20-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Hi All,

As a fond player of tabletop game many, many years ago I've been working through the AI opponents on the BB:Legendary Edition.

I think I've grasped the basics and want to get involved in the league! (to no doubt be humbled).

I'll add my details to the table - do I need to buy the Chaos edition to participate or is the LE one OK?

Thanks!

Welcome aboard. There's about a week left in this season, then we'll be looking at putting people into their new divisions for next season. Add your details to the spreadsheet (as Screwie said, set your Division to N(x) where x is the next available number) and then keep an eye on the thread next week to find out what Division you're in.

in the meantime, you can stick a team or two in the challenge league to get some practice against humans.

JayTee
20-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Chaos is a poor choice for a new player - no starting skills at all and a bunch of players who initially start off identical, giving you no real clue what they're supposed to be doing on the pitch, and then have a confusing plethora of development options.Horns is a skill.

Ish.

Heliocentric
20-02-2013, 02:08 PM
I want to suggest Pro Elves(aka regular Elves), yes they are fragile but they have some of the best players going with their blitzers and catchers and an AG4 player for 60TV is not bad at all.

Some players will be horribly maimed, but that's bloodbowl.

Ethelred
20-02-2013, 02:50 PM
in the meantime, you can stick a team or two in the challenge league to get some practice against humans.

Do I search for this comp through the BB game?

mrpier
20-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Yes, go to the leagues tab and search for rps. Also take a look at these threads and the first post in this thread.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?5031-FAQ-read-this-first!
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?147-RPS-Blood-Bowl-Challenge-League

Zoraster
20-02-2013, 03:50 PM
No need to even type anything in; it is about halfway down the front page on the league finder as it now lists the leagues in order of total number of teams by default.

potatoedoughnut
20-02-2013, 06:16 PM
I tend to just field the safety on defense but on offense they both go out - having two MA7 and two MA8 players on the field lets you move the ball unfeasibly far in a single turn, albeit with some fairly risky catches. I almost always try and score as quickly as possibly though, Necro are much, much better at defense than offense (the way I play them at least).

Yeah, Mighty Blow would be utterly lovely but 8/3/3/8 Regen/Claws/Frenzy/Block/Dodge/Sidestep/Tackle/Dauntless wouldn't exactly be a bad player.

I find the mobility and agi 3 of ghouls too good to pass up for a drive, defense or offense. Especially if 1 or 2 of your wights or wolves get KO'd or otherwise removed from play you'll really feel the need for a MV>4 and the ability to pickup the ball sometimes or use dodge to reposition. Especially once they are developed it seems like a waste to sideline 100+ TV.

I wouldn't ever pick a ball handling skill (except maybe SH) on any player, it just makes it frustrating when you repeatedly fail things like pickups or handoffs. I blame AG3 more than the lack of skills.

Regarding wolves having blodgestep, tackle, dauntless/shadowing/etc isn't bad, but doesn't really do as much as I'd like a ~250TV player to do. I think they really need a stat or MB to be worth the huge cost. However, once they get that developed it isn't really practical to cut them as they're doing most of your heavy lifting (blitzing, marking, ball hunting, scoring threat, etc). So I'd recommend cutting them mid-development if you don't get anything juicy to save some plain later on.

NieA7
20-02-2013, 07:33 PM
I find the mobility and agi 3 of ghouls too good to pass up for a drive, defense or offense.

What I've found useful about leaving a ghoul out of defense is being able to use a kick zombie and fill the scrimmage with zombies as well, saving the other positionals so they can reposition (getting a golem tied up by a lineman is an even worse waste of TV). After that the four zombies are great for throwing at low agility/high strength players to keep them out the action.

Regarding wolves having blodgestep, tackle, dauntless/shadowing/etc isn't bad, but doesn't really do as much as I'd like a ~250TV player to do. I think they really need a stat or MB to be worth the huge cost. However, once they get that developed it isn't really practical to cut them as they're doing most of your heavy lifting (blitzing, marking, ball hunting, scoring threat, etc). So I'd recommend cutting them mid-development if you don't get anything juicy to save some plain later on.

I've found that wolves don't have much of a mid-life though, they go from being semi-useless with 0-1 skills to being amazing with 3+. On top of that I don't think I've ever had such a full roster of leveled up postionals that I could fire one for not being interesting enough, there's anyways someone needing a replacement (or just a golem that's refusing to level up). I reckon Necro can carry one rookie fairly well but two is pushing it, you leave yourself a bit of a hostage to fortune if you willingly take on that risk.

Course, Claw are a rag-bag of limping cripples while Clone High are a gleaming parade of doubles and stats, my advice doesn't lead to happy teams.

The Brain
20-02-2013, 07:45 PM
What I've found useful about leaving a ghoul out of defense is being able to use a kick zombie and fill the scrimmage with zombies as well, saving the other positionals so they can reposition (getting a golem tied up by a lineman is an even worse waste of TV). After that the four zombies are great for throwing at low agility/high strength players to keep them out the action.

I think the other very important thing about leaving a Ghoul on the side lines when on defence is it makes sure he is available for the next drive when you need him to pick up the ball. Most teams will try to take out ghouls while attacking to gimp your ball handling ability next drive. I just hope that next season I don't get bumped up a division again and have to face a bunch of more developed teams.

potatoedoughnut
20-02-2013, 10:59 PM
I think you can argue both ways for kick zombie vs ghoul. I prefer the ghoul, but necro definitely have the speed to take advantage of kick (if not the agi).

I agree that wolves go from crap to awesome once they get their 2nd or 3rd skill, but if you cut them while you're still facing opponents who are developing it's much easier than trying to level them against fully skilled opponents. And I've always had at least 1-2 key players who have been in desperate need for a skill. After this most recent match is the first time all my positionals have had at least 1 skill in many seasons. Really, you should just get lucky the first time you're leveling so you avoid this mess. Also don't have anyone die/retire.

Learning to protect your ghouls is an important skill. AV7, no regen, and no apo means they will die a lot, but if you're careful about positioning and how you use them they'll live a bit longer. Learning to recognize when you need to just throw them into things and hope for the best instead of protecting them is another important skill.

Delusibeta
21-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Street Sweeping Scrubs [Delusibeta] 0 - 2 Gentlebeasts [mrpier]

Ho hum. Another decidedly mediocre game by the Scrubs, and another occasion where I was out-bashed.

Frankly, if next season I fail to score, I'm going to reboot. Progress has been slow and success has been non-existant. All in all, I'm dissatisfied with my team.

Heliocentric
21-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Sorry to hear it's been rough, which races were you two?

Cacamas
21-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Div B
Blackest of Black Blacks 1 - 0 Track & Field

The score is a little deceiving as this was incredibly one-sided, mainly because my dice were ridiculously good and Jiiiiim's were ...not. I broke armour with 25 of 33 rolls, injuring 5 players and KOing almost every other player. He, on the other hand, failed dodges consistently and turned over on 10% of his blocks. On the final turn, he had 1 player left on the pitch, and she was stunned.
Still - WOOO! I didn't finish last!

sadface
21-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Div I
Codsbottom Brawlers (Graever) 3 - 0 Goes Well With Port (Alini)

So my foray into being a Skaven coach has not gone well this first season with three losses, down two lineman and now the Rat Ogre getting - Str. I still need time to learn to play Skaven so not ready to give up trying just yet, however with only one level up (Stormvermin), not many SPP overall and 70k in the treasury, should I just start a new team?

palindrome
21-02-2013, 11:45 PM
I would, if you don't have many SPPs and your team is crippled you have nothing to lose by restarting.

Heliocentric
21-02-2013, 11:48 PM
On the final turn, he had 1 player left on the pitch, and she was stunned.

The following sentence is very important, read it twice before replying:
DID YOU FOUL HER?

Jiiiiim
22-02-2013, 01:22 AM
He did

Never felt so ridiculously helpless in a game before, the dice just never let up so I tried ridiculous things which obviously didn't work.

Heliocentric
22-02-2013, 01:48 AM
Never felt so ridiculously helpless in a game before

WELCOME TO BLOODBOWL(TM)

*I know you've probably played bloodbowl before me but my point is still valid

Jiiiiim
22-02-2013, 03:35 AM
I know, I know. I mean in a game of bloodbowl, though >_>

That said, Cacamas pushed his advantage extremely well, tied everyone up in such a way that I had to use dice.

Zoraster
22-02-2013, 10:02 AM
So my foray into being a Skaven coach has not gone well this first season with three losses, down two lineman and now the Rat Ogre getting - Str. I still need time to learn to play Skaven so not ready to give up trying just yet, however with only one level up (Stormvermin), not many SPP overall and 70k in the treasury, should I just start a new team?

Donít underestimate the value of that skill on a Storm Vermin. Getting them up to 16spp is a real priority early on for rats and youíve not lost anything that matters.

A good rule for assessing team viability is looking at where you should be after the recovery game rather than after the kicking. You have a skilled SV, a Gunner who should level in the next match and with 70k in the bank no matter what happens youíll have the cash to buy that desperately needed third Gunner. At that point you are not looking in bad shape for a young rat team, and that is assuming you donít get the chance to skill that 5spp linerat.

Personally Iíd keep that team but if you are really determined to go the Rat Ogre path starting afresh would make some sense in the context of that lunacy :)

Screwie
22-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Yeah stormvermin level very slowly compared to gutter runners so I would try and keep him. Although I would ditch the Rat-Ogre and save up for another, ST 4 for that cost is not worth it.

Depending on how many players that leaves you with, and your opposition next season, it may well be viable to coast by with some journeymen linerats for a bit while you save up.

President Weasel
22-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Yeah, there's no way you should keep the rat ogre. However it might be worth persevering with the team, as it can still be salvaged. Thing is, playing skaven, you're probably going to find yourself in this situation again. Whether with the current team or with a new one, you'll have matches that leave a team full of MNG holes and career enders and deads. A guard stormvermin and a bunch of loners might actually work out better than a new team - rat linemen exist to stand and get punched, and then stand up again, and loners can do that better.

Everblue
22-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Do you take guard as first skill on a 'vermin? Or tackle/mighty blow. Genuine question.

Axler
22-02-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm rerolling to Chaos Dorfs next season can someone take a quick look and check I've updated the spreadsheet correctly?

frenz0rz
22-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Do you take guard as first skill on a 'vermin? Or tackle/mighty blow. Genuine question.

If the first roll is a double I'd take claw, followed by MB and tackle. Otherwise I'd take guard.

President Weasel
22-02-2013, 12:07 PM
If the first roll is a double I'd take claw, followed by MB and tackle. Otherwise I'd take guard.

This. If you roll a double, make an incredibly valuable killer bastard piece. If not, then sweet jeebus you're horribly short of strength through the team and you should get some guard in there. A couple of high movement guard pieces can make a hell of a difference.

Axler: looks fine.
That makes two existing chaos dwarf players and two rebooting; one more slot if anyone wants the fun little bastards next season. So much better than dwarf dwarfs.

Everblue
22-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Guard is a bit less fun than mighty blow, isn't it?

Zoraster
22-02-2013, 12:32 PM

MB unless you can find a reason not to. Tackle is the only other standard skill I’d take under normal circumstances but in a developed team a case can be made for guard. The key is maximising your chances of the killer. Rushing them to 16spp gives you 4 chances to double which is pretty good odds. If you open with guard a double at 16spp will typically go dodge. Guard/claw is a horrible player for 140k who will struggle to reach 31spp in short order when he can become useful.

Who is he guarding for? Turning 50% of your block into a support player early on is counterproductive. SV in a rookie team should be rolling the majority of the block dice. Guard is a pretty marginal skill on rats in general. If you need it you are doing it wrong imo.

mrpier
22-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Could some Division overlord validate the match between me and Delusibeta in Div. E? I have delicious chaos level-ups.

TechnoJellyfish
22-02-2013, 12:34 PM
So ... I've created my team (of the wooden and elvish sort) and put my name and details on that spreadsheet. I guess now it's waiting 'til the current season comes to an end and the new divisions are sorted out, right?

Oh boy ... this is going to go so wrong!

Zoraster
22-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Welcome Techno. Yep, keep an eye on the thread next week. Groovy will announce the live draw at some point.

Could some Division overlord validate the match between me and Delusibeta in Div. E? I have delicious chaos level-ups.

Did it a couple of hours ago :)

Heliocentric
22-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Guard is more and safer blocks, guard is more enemies lying prone and less tackle zones.

Hell, if you want to injure your opponents go MB, but don't come crying to me when all your rats get broken.

mrchinchin25
22-02-2013, 12:44 PM
So ... I've created my team (of the wooden and elvish sort) and put my name and details on that spreadsheet. I guess now it's waiting 'til the current season comes to an end and the new divisions are sorted out, right?

Oh boy ... this is going to go so wrong!

I'm in the same boat, just waiting to see if I can get into a division next season. Spreadsheet filled in (hopefully correctly..), looking forward to getting horribly beaten and lots of (final) deaths!

Zoraster
22-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Guard is more and safer blocks, guard is more enemies lying prone and less tackle zones.

Hell, if you want to injure your opponents go MB, but don't come crying to me when all your rats get broken.

I won't be crying, I'll be stroking the DoD championship trophy having run straight through the divisions :)

mrpier
22-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Thanks Zor!

President Weasel
22-02-2013, 02:26 PM
I won't be crying, I'll be stroking the DoD championship trophy having run straight through the divisions :)

Pah, you're arguing from anecdote.
It's a nice anecdote, I will admit, but even I can get into the championship and had I had spectacularly lucky dice while I was there I could even have won the thing.

Gorm
22-02-2013, 07:48 PM
I always think that guard makes the rest of your team level faster since they have more chance to 2die block.

sadface
22-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Wow, interesting discussion!

Thanks all for the advice, I appreciate it.

Will stick with the team and provide squishy fodder for three more opponents next season. Have gone for Mighty Blow on the Vermin as I found myself pretty hesitant blocking with the skilless Linerats, so no point guarding with the player I want to use to block.

Heliocentric
22-02-2013, 10:29 PM
I always think that guard makes the rest of your team level faster since they have more chance to 2die block.

Or 3Die, it goes from 1/9 turnover without block to 1/27 without block, and your odds of a knockdown are better too.

Janek
22-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Mighty Blow's the right call I think - should dramatically accelerate the vermin's progress. You can always add guard later.

Rumpel
23-02-2013, 01:18 AM
Hi all,

looking to join in the appeasement of nuffle, I'm ready to pay the blood price on the field.

looking at adding a pro Elf team into the league :D

Heliocentric
23-02-2013, 01:21 AM
pro Elf
They really are a fun team, its like playing bb in fast forward, they perform magnificently and then die all at once.

President Weasel
23-02-2013, 01:23 AM
Those pro elfs break like twigs if you so much as look at them wrong. So, err, good luck and welcome to the Divisions!
Stick your details in the spreadsheet with Nx next to them (where x is the next available number), and keep an eye on the thread next week for next season's division assignments.

President Weasel
23-02-2013, 01:25 AM
I love how the two almost simultaneous responses are "Hello! Nice to meet you. You're doomed!"

Rumpel
23-02-2013, 01:33 AM
its Pro elves there doomed since NAF

Details added to spreadsheet :)

Heliocentric
23-02-2013, 01:37 AM
I love how the two almost simultaneous responses are "Hello! Nice to meet you. You're doomed!"

Everyone lives and everyone dies, Pro Elves just waste less time and do both faster.

AgP
23-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Tried to play my division C match with Smaug - cyanided on the first turn....sigh. Could an admin please rest the game so that we can try again.

Zoraster
23-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Tried to play my division C match with Smaug - cyanided on the first turn....sigh. Could an admin please rest the game so that we can try again.

Sorted boss.

AgP
23-02-2013, 04:57 PM
Thank you very much for your quick response. I'm crossing my fingers this time.

smaug81
24-02-2013, 12:12 AM
AgP and I managed to successfully complete our match for the Div C title on the second attempt. It turned out to be a hotly contested bout that ended in a last minute 2-2 draw, which felt like a fair and honorable result for both sides. My Nurgle managed an uncharacteristically speedy offense, equalizing after a quick elven TD in the first half and bashing in another at the start of the second, but couldn't keep the slippery elves from sneaking in the necessary equalizer at the end. I did murdalize a +MA +AG stat freak catcher, but as AgP said, he was AV6 and a bit of a ticking time bomb anyway.

Of course, this means I'm now to be promoted to Tier 1. I am slightly horrified by this turn of events.

President Weasel
24-02-2013, 12:28 AM
Welcome to Tier 1. You'll be on the bashier end of the spectrum next season.

Heliocentric
24-02-2013, 12:43 AM
Welcome to Tier 1. You'll be on the bashier end of the spectrum next season.
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/28034490.jpg

Drake Sigar
24-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Damnit, dwarves are all taken.

Heliocentric
24-02-2013, 01:33 PM

It's like people are actively trying to get bored of bloodbowl.

Zoraster
24-02-2013, 01:45 PM

One dwarf slot is currently taken by a filler team so they will be standing down at the end of the season. But yeah, what Helio said :) The Dwarf roster is dull as hell to play so unless you've got a very good reason to torture yourself this way embrace the chance to grab something else.

President Weasel
24-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Dwarfs are horrible, and dwarf players are always looked on as slightly declasse.

President Weasel
24-02-2013, 02:14 PM
The season ends on Tuesday

Get your games played, or ask for a relatively short extension for a good reason, or I'll default the result. You know I'll do it, I'm surly, embittered, and maddened with admin power.

Drake Sigar
24-02-2013, 02:25 PM
One dwarf slot is currently taken by a filler team so they will be standing down at the end of the season. But yeah, what Helio said :) The Dwarf roster is dull as hell to play so unless you've got a very good reason to torture yourself this way embrace the chance to grab something else.
Maybe Norse then. I played a lot of them in Chaos League, which is basically the same as Blood Bowl. I'm just a little afraid of the injuries!

Web Cole
24-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Maybe Norse then. I played a lot of them in Chaos League, which is basically the same as Blood Bowl. I'm just a little afraid of the injuries!

Perhaps some Orcs? A good amount of Block, lots of Armour, lots of strength. Alternatively, don't listen to any of these grumpy pants and go with the Dorfs (don't go with the Dorfs, they are hateful).

:P

Drake Sigar
24-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Accidently deleted Rumpel's teamname and forgot about the undo button while putting my name on the sheet, but it probably wasn't as cool as mine anyway. Now what happens, I wait to be assigned a division?

20phoenix
24-02-2013, 02:59 PM

Get your games played, or ask for a relatively short extension for a good reason, or I'll default the result. You know I'll do it, I'm surly, embittered, and maddened with admin power.

Laneford and I may need an extension - depends if we can get something arranged for today. He's been away all week so unable to schedule anything up to this point.

sadface
24-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Dwarfs are horrible, and dwarf players are always looked on as slightly declasse.

They're limited, but I purposefully chose them as my first team as it also limited the things I had to think about and learn at the same time.

As for declasee, feel free to come here and say that to our face ^_^

potatoedoughnut
24-02-2013, 06:55 PM

I flaked on my date for the champs loser consolation match with snoozer this morning (funnily enough because I snoozed longer than expected), but we've rescheduled for Wednesday night if we can get a small extension.

President Weasel
24-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Hrrm, bah, OK.

Heliocentric
24-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Hrrm, bah, OK.

HE HATH SPOKEN AND THE WORD OF THE ADMIN IS LAW.

Was that sarcastic enough? I always find its hard to judge if you've delivered with sufficient sass.

Re Dwarves: The funny thing about them is that they can move the ball and pass if you build for it. But no-one ever really does. Everyone gets obsessed with guard and mighty blow. Don't get me wrong, the 2-1/1-10 grind is sound strategy, but it's boring to live by.

sinister agent
24-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Division G

Your Mother's Nightmares (Amazons, sinister agent) Vs Revellers in Sorrow (Dark Elf, Recoil)

Hoboy. I hoped the girls had it in them, but I didn't really believe it. The game opened with the Amazons electing to receive, and immediately knocking over the elven front line, injuring one. Ball carrier Andra the Sly formed a loose cage off the centre. The elves responded by sending a couple of players deep and marking up. Sensing a ruck, the Nightmares hunker down and start pushing players around, inching the cage up. Galroth tries a ballsy 1 die block on the ball carrier and gets a push, while some inconsequential shoving matches flare up on the sideline, but is exposed to a 3 die block from Elise the Minx, who puts him on the injury table. This opens up a space for Andra to flee with the ball out of elven reach, but of course, she fails the GFI and reroll.

Rising elven star Delekh grabs the loose ball and flings it upfield, but the catch is fluffed. Mel 'the Bell' Turis gathers the loose ball on a reroll, and the elves respond with a kamikaze blitz attempt on -2 dice, which fails. The girls continue to hit and mark up in a nasty diagonal dodge/1 block die zone, which leaves the elves stuck at a disadvantage without much dodge or block now that the amazons have filled up their last blodgey Blitzer slot with Emma, who will kick your head in. I burn a reroll for a block on the last defender, and Mel passes upfield to Petra the nimble, who runs in the first touchdown. 1 - 0!

Delekh of the Revellers receives the kick off in turn 6 and short passes to blitzer Tuern. Another couple of block attempts go badly for the elves, however, and Tuern is left staring into the whites of six Amazonion eyes. Dodging away fails (thus beginning the terrible dodge dice poor Recoil had all night), and the Amazons capitalise by charging in en masse, killing a linesman, which the apothecary rolls into ... another kill. Andra the Sly fails a -1 pickup, the elves fail another dodge, and Andra tries again, succeeding this time and handing off to Deborah the Biter, who runs in the second Amazon touchdown. 2 - 0!

The second half starts with 8 gloomy Elves for 11 bloodthirsty Amazons, with Delekh again receiving and short passing to Tuern, then handing off to a second blitzer, and attempts a 1 die blitz against new girl Emma, who will kick your head in (actually Recoil, I meant to ask what that was all about? Very risky play there for little gain. Elves are agile, sure, but not as agile as Nuffle is cruel).

The Nightmares close in, forcing another dodge from the underguarded ball carrier, which fails. Blitzer Emma burns a reroll for the pickup while the long-term underperformer Mara attempts to begin a career in fouling. But Tuern knocks Emma off her feet, and grabs the ball. An Elf moves deep but is marked by 2 Amazon throwers, while the ball carrier is pinned down by four Amazon players.

Nuffle savours the flavour of another failed elven dodge, the girls bundle the hapless ball carrier, and Mara elects not to foul without support, instead allowing Petra the Nimble to catch the loose ball and run it home. 3 - 0!

Turn 13, and 6 Revellers stare down a stubbornly vertical 11 Nightmares. Delekh again receives the kick off, but this time the pass goes to a clumsy oaf, forcing a very early turnover. Andromeda Neves attempts, and fails a pickup. Delekh attempts, and fails a pickup. Nuffle snorts into his tea, which is essentially boiled tears. While he's distracted, Andromeda grabs the ball and runs deep into Elven territory, while the rest of the team bully the flagging Elves, and catcher Katalin the Tall runs up to support with a passing option, but falls flat on her face after a GFI as Nuffle has wiped up the mess and is back on the case.

Delekh puts on a brave face and attempts a -2 dice block against carrier Andromeda, who's having none of it, and once the other girls continue to bludgeon the surviving Elves with blocks and a sadistic gang foul on Delekh, hands off to a resurgent Katalin the Tall for a fourth and final touchdown.

Turn 16 sees the elves retreating from the kickoff and the liners charging in for one last gang block, but the game is over, save for a well-earned level for Elven passer Delekh. A decisive victory, and some levelled players at last!

4 - 0 to Your Mother's Nightmares! Medical malpractice suit for Elven apothecary!

cyberpunkdreams
24-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Great report! :) We so need a competition for these.

Screwie
24-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Amazons are mean!

sinister agent
24-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Amazons are mean!

You love it.

Heliocentric
24-02-2013, 09:24 PM
You love it.

Amazon are awesome OP, as long as they never have to face Dwarves... Then they collapse like a house of cards.

President Weasel
24-02-2013, 09:32 PM
The only thing an apoc is good for is getting your BH star player back onto the pitch for the next drive.

"Badly Hurt? I can do you a nice smashed knee?"
- shut up, idiot, and don't go near my players.

Unless you get off on disappointment, in which case use him on a proper injury and see him inevitably fail to impress, the git.

sinister agent
24-02-2013, 09:45 PM
I'm still new to them (and fairly new to BB in general really), but the feeling I get with Amazons is that their game hinges on knocking everyone over. If you can use that initial charge to outnumber the other team, you're not vulnerable to the counter-attack, which is their biggest weakness due to the low armour. If you don't get the initiative on the attack, you'll lose players to bad dodges or blocks, and then you're screwed.

I really like that they have a little flexibility though, with dodge, throwers and catchers allowing them to try an agility play now and then to keep things interesting, or just try the crazy risky 10-to-1 shot that is, I feel, the heart of blood bowl.

Heliocentric
24-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Amazon start with 4 blodge and the other 7 others 1 up from blodge. Amazon are probably one of the less fragile sides, great value replacements too.

20phoenix
25-02-2013, 01:20 AM
The end of the world is nigh!! The four horsemen have been spotted! And Skaven have outbashed Nurgle!! Yes that last bit happened with Laneford being the unfortunate recipient of some residual anti nurgle feelings among the rats after Janeks demolition of the team. 680k in inducements turned out to be good value for money as the merc ogre was generally a nuisance and ate up a few hits that my actual team didnt have to wear. The wizard was more Gandalf than Rincewind as he lay down three corners of the Nurgle cage exposing the carrier and killing a lvl 5 warrior. The exposed carrier didnt stay upright for long and the rats put up a good enough screen to run in the first score. The second Nurgle drive was much more effective as rats completely failed to slow it down until it reached the edge of the endzone. Turn 8 had the ball in a blodgstepping gutters hands who took 9 dice before releasing the ball and a pest was able to grab the ball from under the nose of a linerat and doge in the equaliser. One turn magic was denied by a blitz which was unfortunate as the ball had gone off the pitch.

Second half the skaven went for the quick score but good Nurgle marking closed that route down so the thrower and two vermin bodyguards headed the opposite side instead. A scuffle broke out which lasted 3-4 turns slowly sucking in most the players on the pitch but eventually a loose ball popped out the nurgle side. Nurgle triple marked the ball but it wasn't enough as the rats blitzed one marker away and sent in AG5 gutter to do his thing. He duly obliged and scampered behind a premade screen. A warrior dodge to get to him failed and the gutter scooted over for a second. 3 turns left for Nurgle to equalise and they quickly sent two receivers into the skaven half. An attempted blitz by the beast skulled before the ball had been picked up and the rats had a route to the ball. To make things easier they blitzed a warrior out the way with the ogre who punished this by rolling double both down on the frenzy block. Thankfully the rats had double marked the receivers and although Nurgle managed to clear one, the 1d block to clear the second marking came up a skull and stunned the receiver. The opposite receiver was surfed and that effectively ended the game.

3 casualties in 9 armour breaks compared to 2 in 18 for nurgle tells the story. But GLORIOUS VICTORY! (I still get relegated)

Team has never been in such good shape and is now packing a hefty 1910 TV.

desvergeh
25-02-2013, 02:11 AM
I'm dropping out of the DoD for the forseeable future. Am currently playing tabletop bb with friends, and I don't have time for that and the DoD.

Thanks for the games everyone, it has been great.

Screwie
25-02-2013, 11:53 AM
desvergeh is living the dream!

---

Next season's Tier 1 is still looking like a good mix of teams:
Snoozer's Dwarfs
potatoedoughnut's Necro
boots' Lizards
PW's Chaos
Screwie's Dark Elves
smaug's Nurgle
groovy's Villains

The only position yet to be decided is Div B, where the close scores mean any of 3 teams could still take it depending on the outcome of the final match:
Hutton/Cacamas/MadDave (Hum/Und/Nur)

ChainsawHands
25-02-2013, 01:01 PM
It looks like the current season of the Open finishes in 3 weeks, so I'm thinking I'll drop out of that and rejoin the Divisions not next season but the one after. Probably with a new team; I'm thinking something bashy.

President Weasel
25-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Two game weeks, which is what, two and a half weeks real time? The Divisions have ten day weeks; the current season finishes on Wednesday and it'll be Monday before we'll have any chance of getting the new season going. You'd only be looking at squeezing two games into one single ten day period once, before the Open ends, and that's even if we can herd the cats into the correct Divisions in a reasonable time period - if you can do that, you can avoid sitting out a whole month waiting for the Divisions to come around again.

Speaking of which, bump for the new page:

The season finishes on TUESDAY with an extension to Wednesday grumble mutter so get your games played.

ChainsawHands
25-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Sure, that's all very sensible, but I still don't know what team I want to play!

desvergeh
25-02-2013, 03:12 PM
desvergeh is living the dream!

Indeed... although 1 person has already started taking it way too seriously!

It's a shame the Cyanide version doesn't allow use of the Dirty Trick, Random Event, and Special Play cards. Although they are undoubtedly unbalanced, I think the trade off is worth it, as they add tremendous humour and variety to the game.

President Weasel
25-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Sure, that's all very sensible, but I still don't know what team I want to play!

You still have a day and a half! Just make a list of suspects, then roll a dice to decide. Then if you decide "maybe I'll roll again" then it's clearly not that one, so you can cross it off the list.

ChainsawHands
25-02-2013, 03:47 PM
I might just rank them by estimated elf-deaths per match...

Heliocentric
25-02-2013, 03:56 PM
I might just rank them by estimated elf-deaths per match...

Wood Elves and Pro Elves are on paper the greatest generators of elf death, but honestly DElves take the crown because of assassins, they cause panic. Try and take as much AV7 as possible and watch the deaths stack up.

ChainsawHands
25-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Eh, I tried that for ages, but my pro elf team suffered disappointingly light casualties (I think I was losing more chaos players than elves).

I do like assassins though, particularly with jump up as a first skill for added panic but no added protection.

Heliocentric
25-02-2013, 04:02 PM
I do like assassins though, particularly with jump up as a first skill for added panic but no added protection.

Also, frenzy. First block then follow up with a stab.

ChainsawHands
25-02-2013, 04:10 PM
And obviously multiple block on a double.

Heliocentric
25-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Was that ever under dispute?
A good alternative on a regular at higher TV teams is leap, throwing an assassin into a cage with complete disregard for his welfare.

When the ball carrier is a sure hands blodge surrounded by guard players leap and stab are quite tempting.

ChainsawHands
25-02-2013, 04:34 PM
complete disregard for his welfare.That is how I always play elves.

Screwie
25-02-2013, 04:40 PM

Of course MultiBlock is awesome, but the Frenzy path is a very good second place if you can't get the double. Obviously with Frenzy you need Block or Wrestle, and the other usual skills to frighten people (Jump Up, Side Step, Dodge or Fend) if they ever get above level 3.

potatoedoughnut
25-02-2013, 04:47 PM

I love it. I might start Delfs just to do this.

Obviously with Frenzy you need Block or Wrestle, and the other usual skills to frighten people (Jump Up, Side Step, Dodge or Fend) if they ever get above level 3.

Isn't jump up and fend counterproductive if you want to Stab Things Lots (TM)?

Screwie
25-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Fend is mostly a means to keep them alive, and to work with Side Step more than Jump Up (although getting all three would be super annoying).

Also Jump Up is an excellent skill for speeding the Dark Elf team up when you give it on linemen, since their main job is to be knocked over. I like to take it for their first or second skill (unless I need a new Kicker or roll doubles).

ChainsawHands
25-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Fend is mostly a means to keep them aliveAnd is thus to be avoided at all costs.

Chillydusk
25-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Hi everyone, I'm an old tabletop BB gamer coming back from the grave.
I got LE some time ago but played mostly single player since then as nobody I knew had the damned LE.
Finally after getting utterly bored with single player, I went online but found that the matchmaking system on open leagues is not for me. I need a bit more chatting and friendly atmosphere.
I just registered my team on the spreadsheet after registering on this forum and downloaded something called BB manager as you suggested, but I suppose i only need that after I play a game (am i right?).
Is there anything else required of me to participate in next month's league?

Screwie
25-02-2013, 05:37 PM
And is thus to be avoided at all costs.

Keeping them alive means you get to Stab again.

groovychainsaw
25-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Nope chilly, if you've got LE installed, you're (correctly?) entered on the sheet, you're all set for the upcoming season. Keep an eye in here over the next few days (I always recommend subscribing to the thread to get an email at least once a day of what's going on), the season should be ending tomorrow (barring 1 or 2 stragglers). I'll be looking to perform the *live draw* (in our steam group) to decide places for everyone in each tier later this week, then it's down to everyone to apply to the correct division in-game. BB manager is really only needed if you want to analyse your dice rolls after a game. And who doesn't eh? Phwoar! Everything else is managed either in game or on the sheet.

Welcome to the divisions of death!

Chillydusk
25-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the quick reply groovy, just doublechecked everything and should be ok. See all of you in a week or so :).

Alistair Hutton
25-02-2013, 11:45 PM
Fly Soup vs Altdorf Army (Division B)

The last time these teams met it was a 1 - 0 victory to the Humans but with plenty of casualties from Fly Soup. For this match read ditto.

A well timed Fireball stopped Soup's drive in the first half and then a wonderfully executed draw play (combined with a very lucky 1d block to injure the Beast) released the Humans for the game winner.

Gunther Hoffenmeister, a founding member of the Army bit it though on a block in the last turn of the game. He'd always been on borrowed time with his Armour 7 for the last 30 games but without his Grab the Army enters a strange new world without either of it's components it uses for the 1 turn touchdown.

Only Manfred Moaner, Awrod the Boss-eyed and Arnuld Wulf left of the original draftees. It's getting lonely here. And still we haven't tasted the Champ league.

Rumpel
26-02-2013, 12:09 AM
Accidently deleted Rumpel's teamname and forgot about the undo button while putting my name on the sheet, but it probably wasn't as cool as mine anyway. Now what happens, I wait to be assigned a division?

lol, I have re-added it to database.

20phoenix
26-02-2013, 12:19 AM
In order to take a breather from excessive typing I jumped on and and validated a bunch of matches.....followed by a bit of typing.

Division status:

Champs: Both day 3 games outstanding (no one wants to win the title?)
Div 1: Complete - congrats Janek
Div 2: Complete - congrats Niea7
Div A: Complete - congrats Screwie
Div B: Complete - congrats Hutton
Div C: Complete - congrats Smaug
Div D: Groovy v Joose outstanding
Div E: Ranek v Dentharial outstanding
Div F: Gorm v Elesium outstanding
Div G: Complete - congrats Zoraster
Div H: Complete - congrats Webcole
Div I: Complete - congrats Corkir
Div J: Complete - congrats Chadsexington
Div K: Complete - congrats Axler

groovychainsaw
26-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Where's my congrats, eh, phoenix? I've already won my division :-).

Well done most chaps for getting your games done by deadline day. Me and Joose are playing tonight and I'll be trying to tidy everything up on the sheet and in-game afterwards, as well as kicking the other 4 to get finished up too.

If you're dropping out, returning, joining or rebooting, PLEASE update the sheet (if you haven't already) with your 'next season' status!!! My current aim is to run the live draw Thurs night, 9pm, then we'll get people applying from then. Tentatively I'd like to get the next season kicked off by the end of the weekend, although that may be a stretch for us orrible lot.

President Weasel
26-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Oh, I hope I get to be in the same Division as Al Hutton. He's pretty awesome.

Web Cole
26-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Blood Bowl 2 hinted at: https://www.facebook.com/bloodbowlgame

Is 2/3 teams, bug fixing (generous), Star Players (should have been there to begin with) really worth a "2" on the end? /LittleFaithInCyanide

(I should say I'm speculating, there are no details yet. Maybe no bug fixing or Star Players at all then :p )

Elesium
26-02-2013, 01:32 PM
I'm going to drop out for a little while guys, give Gorm the win and I'll skip a season or two had a very busy time and got a much busier time coming up with work and things. Sorry about not playing!

Alistair Hutton
26-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Half my team is broken for the next game thanks to the kicking Fly Soup gave them.

Gorm
26-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Oh lame

Making it up to 10 letters

Squiz
26-02-2013, 03:07 PM
desvergeh is living the dream!When/if he returns, he'll be a better player and EAT the Divisions, mark my words.

Heliocentric
26-02-2013, 03:18 PM
When/if he returns, he'll be a better player and EAT the Divisions, mark my words.

>_< Yes, board players are bestowed the magical powers to forget to make rolls and misunderstand intricacies of the rules like how shadowing, passblock and dump off interact especially during a short time limit.

Why does the idea that Board players are magically better keep being spread?

*grumbles*

Everblue
26-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Probably because they have all been playing it for about a million years. I have to play Zoraster tomorrow. I reckon he'll be using a Babbage Engine to play the game on.

Screwie
26-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Blood Bowl 2 hinted at: https://www.facebook.com/bloodbowlgame

Is 2/3 teams, bug fixing (generous), Star Players (should have been there to begin with) really worth a "2" on the end? /LittleFaithInCyanide

(I should say I'm speculating, there are no details yet. Maybe no big fixing or Star Players at all then :p )

If they give us the remaining star players, I'll buy it.

Dode's list of suggestions (http://forum.bloodbowl-game.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2499&start=80#p31489) on the official forums mirrors my dream list. But I'm not holding my breath.

Squiz
26-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Probably because they have all been playing it for about a million years.This. tenchars

Drake Sigar
26-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Why does the idea that Board players are magically better keep being spread?

It's a class thing. They're elite blueblood board players, you're peasant stock. Now get out of my sight you filthy commoner.

Choca
26-02-2013, 04:02 PM
You guys seen this : https://twitter.com/FocusHome/status/306343845623377920 ?

Blood Bowl II tease.

Dentharial
26-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Me and Karandraz (Ranek) have been crap in Division E and not been able to get a game settled. (We had a few potential times, but were never quite able to make it).

Since we still don't have a time set, and today is the final day of the week, I don't think we should get an extension.

On related news, I've just not been so excited about my Blood Bowl matches these past couple of seasons. It's felt less like a hobby and more like a chore sadly.

So I'm...REBOOTING! I'll mark myself as such in the sheet immediately. It's going to be to some more 'showy' team, that will likely either be Pro Elves or Wood Elves. I'll try and make a final decision tonight.

groovychainsaw
26-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Right answer dentharial. Not enjoying your games? Don't leave, change your race! (and in the game).

Zoraster
26-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Well I was thinking I’d drop out for a bit as I will be moving home during next season but I’ve been unequivocally guaranteed my new residence will have internet access several days before we move down. Touch wood it will go off without a hitch but having seen the woes of Laneford et al in the past I can’t help be a tad sceptical about the assurances of any telecoms provider!

cyberpunkdreams
26-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Well I was thinking I’d drop out for a bit as I will be moving home during next season but I’ve been unequivocally guaranteed my new residence will have internet access several days before we move down. Touch wood it will go off without a hitch but having seen the woes of Laneford et al in the past I can’t help be a tad sceptical about the assurances of any telecoms provider!

If it's TalkTalk you'll be needing a natural 6. Anyone else and it's maybe a 4+, apart from Virgin, which is maybe more like a GFI.

wink5000
26-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Can me and Grimm get an extension until Wednesday for our champs match please? Has been difficult to get it done because of real life(!) schedules.

Heliocentric
26-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Woodies have more toys than pro elves, but I have found ProElves a breath of fresh air.

I'm not a commoner I hail from Necromunda and GorkaMorka, I'm a foreigner.

20phoenix
26-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Where's my congrats, eh, phoenix? I've already won my division :-).

You have to earn your pat on the head by finishing up your games first!

President Weasel
26-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Can me and Grimm get an extension until Wednesday for our champs match please? Has been difficult to get it done because of real life(!) schedules.

There's already an extension til Wednesday for another game so fair enough. This far and no further.

Heliocentric
26-02-2013, 09:41 PM
This far and no further.

Heh, the great part? he actually believes what he's saying.

President Weasel
26-02-2013, 10:33 PM
Believes, and can enforce.

Also, enjoys using italics.

Gorm
26-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Ah you should have bolded the italics.

SandmanXC
27-02-2013, 01:45 PM
That would be downright dictatorship.

President Weasel
27-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Indeed, that way madness lies. I'll go as far as italics, but no further.

Speaking of dictatorships, if you haven't played your game or asked for an extension I'll be admining your results this evening. If you have asked for an extension, I'll be validating or admining your results at midnight. (And no later)

Screwie
27-02-2013, 01:55 PM
I love how Wink versus Grinn is one of the final matches, and they are facing each other for the championship, winner takes all! It's exciting, like a real sport! Presumably!

Web Cole
27-02-2013, 03:38 PM
I love how Wink versus Grinn is one of the final matches, and they are facing each other for the championship, winner takes all! It's exciting, like a real sport! Presumably!

And now we could even watch it live! Ooh, the excitement.

frenz0rz
27-02-2013, 03:56 PM
And now we could even watch it live! Ooh, the excitement.

Ooh, thats a plan. Spectators can chat to each other in-game as well.

What time are you on, chaps? Expect an audience!

Heliocentric
27-02-2013, 04:02 PM
(And no later)
Haha mwhaha *makes snorting noise with his nose* hahaaha.... Yeah...

President Weasel
27-02-2013, 04:16 PM
You know how the admin tools work, right? I can admin the result even if the game is taking place at that exact minute (and thanks to the Joy of Cyanide, there's no easy way to tell if the game is taking place at that exact minute)

ChainsawHands
27-02-2013, 04:21 PM
You've gone mad with power, Pweasel!

Everblue
27-02-2013, 04:28 PM
You know how the admin tools work, right? I can admin the result even if the game is taking place at that exact minute (and thanks to the Joy of Cyanide, there's no easy way to tell if the game is taking place at that exact minute)

You can go to the "Spectate games" list, which shows all games ongoing. I think you can then filter by league.

Alistair Hutton
27-02-2013, 04:36 PM
You've gone mad with power, Pweasel!

Madder 10c

President Weasel
27-02-2013, 06:05 PM
You can go to the "Spectate games" list, which shows all games ongoing. I think you can then filter by league.

Or I could just give an admin result to any game that isn't finished by midnight on Wednesday.

potatoedoughnut
27-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Or I could just give an admin result to any game that isn't finished by midnight on Wednesday.

Snoozer and I are playing at 9pm Britisher time (if I do my time zones correctly), so as long as we start on time we should be done by midnight.

20phoenix
27-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Snoozer and I are playing at 9pm Britisher time (if I do my time zones correctly), so as long as we start on time we should be done by midnight.

Is it socially acceptable to admin a win for doughnut purely on the basis his opponent is a dwarf?

Heliocentric
27-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Is it socially acceptable to admin a win for doughnut purely on the basis his opponent is a dwarf?

Give him a chance to kill dwarves and admin it in his favour if he fails.

grinn
27-02-2013, 09:01 PM
The Gran-Finale is over! The Rok 'Ard Nobz win the title again!
/gobbo cheerleaders loaded on shrooms do a jiggle

The game went as planned. Lizards scored early in the first half. Nobz Responded with a counter that failed to score due to a fumbled catch from the new gobbo Frans The 69.

The second half saw the Nobz grind the living Mork out of the scaly slimers, injuring most and killing two, including the level 5 Saurus. Sadly Wink's S4 blodging skink was only KOd.

Glory to Mork! Glory to Gork!

The Rok 'Ard Nobz win again on carnage difference (as it should be!)

potatoedoughnut
27-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Snoozer can't make our game tonight, so I think an admin draw is in our future for our champs losers match. I'm assuming, of course, that an extension until this weekend is unacceptable.

Drake Sigar
27-02-2013, 09:59 PM
I've been practising a little with a Norse team in preperation. My rolls weren't very good (and with that I've gone and made some minor revisions to the fresh team hoping to compete in the DoD), but it was smooth sailing right after I took out the only dwarven runner on the pitch.

Golly there were a lot of knockouts, on both sides. I think we each had about five players left.

President Weasel
27-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Snoozer can't make our game tonight, so I think an admin draw is in our future for our champs losers match. I'm assuming, of course, that an extension until this weekend is unacceptable.

Entirely unacceptable I'm afraid: due to the linear nature of time, this weekend takes place after Wednesday.
(There are some who posit that everything takes place at once and we merely perceive time in a linear fashion, to which I say 'that's intriguing, admin draw').

Good use of italics there, by the way. Very slanty.

President Weasel
27-02-2013, 10:06 PM
AND THAT'S IT!

Season over, scores in all the little boxes. I shall now hand over to Chief Admin-in-Chief For Life, his Excellent Excellency Groovychainsaw, for the calculating promotions and demotions and next seasons Divisions and stuff.

Then back to me for some more shouting, until everyone is in their assigned places.

Heliocentric
27-02-2013, 10:07 PM
WORD WORD WORD

So when will the draw be? Are we good now?

groovychainsaw
27-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Jolly good deputy weasel. i'll sort things out and look to run the live draw.... tomorrow night. 9:30pm.

grinn
27-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Can the Lord Groovester confirm our Championshipness? I just assumed the CAS toll sorted me out but didn't quite work it out properly.

Alistair Hutton
27-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Jeremy Throat Smasher continues his meteoric rise, after a mere 11 games he's reached level 4 And add Stand firm to his Block/Guard/Ogre arsenal.

My Pass,Sure Hands, Accurate, Strong Arm, Kick Off Return thrower on the other hand rolled a double. Choices, choices.

Seriously, any ideas? Hail Mary Pass for the lols?

Alistair Hutton
27-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Also due to the death an 3 miss next games my current TV of a teamcontaining multiple level 4 and 5 players is 1490. Only 9 fit players though.

Everblue
27-02-2013, 11:26 PM
My Pass,Sure Hands, Accurate, Strong Arm, Kick Off Return thrower on the other hand rolled a double. Choices, choices.

Seriously, any ideas? Hail Mary Pass for the lols?

Thick skull

(Serious answer - dodge)

Janek
27-02-2013, 11:36 PM
Yeah, dodge, or just ignore the double.

Alistair Hutton
27-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Mmmmmm, Dodge does make a lot of sense as I use him for empty backfield plays on receiving and for some reason opposition players love making double GFI moves to put him in a tackle zone, Dodge would free up a re-roll better used elsewhere. It would also take him up to having 3 re-roll skills which is clearly awesome.

Ignoring the double though still means I have to give him a skill and if not Dodge then what?

Heliocentric
27-02-2013, 11:44 PM
Mmmmmm, Dodge does make a lot of sense as I use him for empty backfield plays on receiving and for some reason opposition players love making double GFI moves to put him in a tackle zone, Dodge would free up a re-roll better used elsewhere. It would also take him up to having 3 re-roll skills which is clearly awesome.

Ignoring the double though still means I have to give him a skill and if not Dodge then what?Block, any player that doesn't have it or wrestle* is 4 times more likely to turn over during a 2 dieblock (1/9 to 1/36), its also self defence. There will be times you end up blocking with him whether or not that's the general plan.

*or juggernaut on a blitz I guess

potatoedoughnut
28-02-2013, 12:01 AM
I'd consider sure feet on a back field thrower like him. You can keep him further back to avoid being marked and can still run up further to throw.

If you're not taking a double I'd get block, but because there aren't really any other skills he needs. You can also consider getting leader and dropping a reroll to save TV. Or making him your kicker to free up a lineman from having to take kick.

President Weasel
28-02-2013, 12:28 AM
Safe throw because the bastards always roll a 6.

Screwie
28-02-2013, 01:51 AM
Since he has Sure Hands already, I would go with Block over Wrestle. And Block over Dodge as well.

Congrats to Grinn!

Joeyjojojuniorshabadoo
28-02-2013, 02:38 AM
Hey, I got a buddy that is wanting to get in on this season if there is room and his confirmation email does not seem to be going through, so i was jsut going to enter his info for him(if thats ok) untill it get sorted,
His name is lelandco and he is playing necro's, ill add him to the spreadsheet

grinn
28-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Since he has Sure Hands already, I would go with Block over Wrestle. And Block over Dodge as well.

Congrats to Grinn!

Thanks for thought! I m assuming it was a win right?