PDA

View Full Version : Front page load time

Nesetalis
23-07-2011, 06:43 PM
The front page is, for some reason, very laggy. Perhaps scripts you are running, perhaps the multitude of sites that are being linked in.

Trying to load or refresh the main page, takes me 5 seconds, then another 3 or 4 seconds of the screen being frozen as twitter, reddit, and so forth wait to load. Perhaps put those things below the fold instead of on the front page? or perhaps put them serverside with a redirect to the actual links?

10 seconds may not seem like alot to wait for a page to load, but that is enough to make some one frustrated to browse a page and go elsewhere.

Rii
24-07-2011, 03:41 AM
Yeah, I really don't mind the ads (the occasional auto-playing ad with sound aside, those can DIAF) but the Twitter/Reddit/Facebook/etc. thing has me using AdBlock just to make the site more responsive. =/

Ondrej
26-07-2011, 11:36 AM
I second this, it's a PITA on my netbook and even mediocre notebook.

JiminyJickers
27-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Yeah plays up for me too. But mine takes minutes and does'nt load up most of the pictures.

The comments also goes funny where I leave a comment and cannot see if afterwards. It shows in the little box to the side that shows latest comments but doesn't show up in the comments thread at all.

Pretty strange.

Nesetalis
12-08-2011, 08:39 AM
its getting worse for me :\ seriously RPS guys, fix your page.. get rid of the damn twitter and what not displays X.x

rsherhod
12-08-2011, 10:13 AM
A thousand times yes! It's got progressively worse as more of those social network buttons have been added.

Insolentius
14-08-2011, 10:47 PM
I've registered solely to air my frustrations over this as well. It's making me look for news-worthy tidbits elsewhere.

AKIRA_
16-08-2011, 06:31 AM
Just added these rules to adblock+ and fixed my frontpage laggy issues:

twitter.com$domain=www.rockpapershotgun.com
plattform.twitter.com$domain=www.rockpapershotgun. com
www.facebook.com$domain=www.rockpapershotgun.com
urls.api.twitter.com$domain=www.rockpapershotgun.c om
www.reddit.com$domain=www.rockpapershotgun.com

Hope these helps.

Nesetalis
16-08-2011, 08:37 AM
oh god, amazing AKIRA_ thank you so much.
I just sat through the page actually CRASHING while waiting for reddit to download.. :| i dont have this problem on other sites that have reddit and twitter links, but usually they have just one, not a dozen of each.. so i dunno.

ran93r
16-08-2011, 05:48 PM
I feel dirty doing it but thanks Akira, just what I needed. Came here to rage as performance has been hell for the last couple of days with both Twitter and Reddit causing the whole thing to hang.

Insolentius
16-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Just wanted to say thanks, Akira. :)

DarkNoghri
16-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Is there a way to whitelist RPS, but still block those? I feel like there has to be a way, but I'm not wanting to search right now.

rsherhod
16-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Wow, what a difference!

CMaster
17-08-2011, 11:30 AM
It's funny, I don't notice the social media stuff making any difference. Even when it is being slow, the rest of the page still loads fine, and its not like I notice the buttons popping in, or care.

Insolentius
17-08-2011, 04:38 PM
It's funny, I don't notice the social media stuff making any difference. Even when it is being slow, the rest of the page still loads fine, and its not like I notice the buttons popping in, or care.

Unlike people who have experienced no trouble whatsoever, some of us were/are unable to navigate the site before all of the facebook/twitter/reddit junk was/is loaded (it usually takes between 5-10 secs)... which was/is annoying.

CMaster
17-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Unlike people who have experienced no trouble whatsoever, some of us were/are unable to navigate the site before all of the facebook/twitter/reddit junk was/is loaded (it usually takes between 5-10 secs)... which was/is annoying.

Oh, not doubting it was a real problem or that it should be solved. Just confused as to why it's a problem for some and not others. Down to browser? (Firefox 5 here)

Ondrej
18-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Oh, not doubting it was a real problem or that it should be solved. Just confused as to why it's a problem for some and not others. Down to browser? (Firefox 5 here) I think it has to do with those external respond times. It still needs to disappear.

psyk
20-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Said this ages ago and basically got told that my internet is crap and I should sort it out lol. ever since the redesign it has gone to crap and is getting worse.

To add to Akira_'s great list
http://*.gravatar.com

EDIT - Is the site the avatars are getting pulled from so block that and you can't see avatars.

TaBuNiW
22-08-2011, 12:53 PM
At the time of this post the frontpage has 42 scripts running. Eleven scripts each from twitter, reddit and facebook. I have no clue what all this scripts are for, but without them loading time is down to 1-2 seconds for me.
Like I said, I have no clue what they are for, but are 33 scripts really needed?

measurements
23-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Have you guys heard of No Script? It's a firefox add-on. It is not as morally definite as adblock, so I shouldn't feel too bad recommending it here. Plus if you have a job you can definitely afford to subscribe and feel no moral qualms at all.

If you don't have a job then quit eating bagels and get one. Then eat bagels.

BillButNotBen
02-09-2011, 10:05 AM
It's working OK again today. RPS was crashing my work browser again yesterday. :-(

Estel
02-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Checking my network graph, the worst offender /by far/ was like.php calls for facebook. However, the sheer volume of requests to Reddit, whilst individually much quicker, also took a similar amount of time (these two alone probably were responsible for 3-4 of the six seconds load time for the front page).

I'm not sure how good WP's caching/delivery is, but the load times on the main article images is also exceptionally slow considering their relatively-ok size. They certainly load much more slowly than the theme's background does.

kirrus
02-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Estel, the main article images are actually coming straight from cache, they're not even being served by the webserver! The calls on the front page are known, trying to get them to use asynchronous loading, whenever the plugin developer pops his head back up.

If your images are loading slowly, I'd guess that the slowness you're seeing with them isn't our end, it might be your browser taking it's time to render them, or the network connection between the RPS servers and your computer being a bit sluggish.

Estel
03-09-2011, 01:02 AM
Hrm, interesting, thanks. Either way, it's not something that I can replicate here at the moment: I suppose it was my work connection that was at fault - I really do loathe Demon.

BillButNotBen
03-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Still killing my browser today... though i have a combination of an old version of Firefox and an old unreliable PC.

Nesetalis
05-10-2011, 01:07 AM
ok strangely enough the adblock stopped working today. No idea why... methods are identical, just decided to allow reddit and facebook through again :|

edit: I got rid of facebook again, but reddit is a different story. Nothing I do gets rid of it, can hide its div, but it still freezes for about 7 seconds while trying to load it.

edit2: ok got rid of reddit... was in an iframe now I used this:

*.rockpapershotgun.com*$subdocument

oceanclub
05-10-2011, 10:30 AM
I can't access the front page at all today (using IE9); a script is running which freezes it, but attempting to stop the script doesn't work.

kirrus
05-10-2011, 10:45 AM
A new version of the site was deployed, which may have broken your reddit blocks. The socal stuff is now loaded last, so you shouldn't find that it blocks the site loading as badly.

Oceanclub, can you try clearing your browser cache? Also, using an alternate browser like firefox, are you able to get in?

Harlander
05-10-2011, 10:59 AM
I have the same problem in IE8 (which circumstances force me to use here.) - multiple "this script is responding slowly" errors and a general loss of browser responsiveness. Clearing the cache seemed to have no effect.

I had no trouble in Firefox the last time I tried (last evening I believe.)

Jams O'Donnell
05-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Okay -- I tweaked things a little bit. Is it improved at all for you guys?

Harlander
05-10-2011, 12:45 PM
That does seem improved, yes.

TimA
05-10-2011, 06:16 PM
It's slightly better, but it still hangs for a bit "waiting for buttons.reddit.com" or something... I don't understand why my filters don't work any more.

Ghostbear
05-10-2011, 10:40 PM
I registered just so I could give my input on this. The tweak does not fix the underlying issue with the slow page loads; the site itself loads very quickly, but then it freezes (and can not be interacted with) while waiting for the social buttons to load. It even seems to freeze the rest of the tabs in my browser (Chrome on Win 7 64 bit, if that is helpful information).

For me, at least, they make the site completely unusable until I find new filter rules to block them. I do not know how much benefit you get from them, but for me, as a visitor to the site, they are purely detrimental.

imirk
05-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Reddit and Facebook buttons, the DRM of websites!!

kirrus
06-10-2011, 12:08 PM
[snip]For me, at least, they make the site completely unusable until I find new filter rules to block them. I do not know how much benefit you get from them, but for me, as a visitor to the site, they are purely detrimental.

The problem is, quite a lot of people only use them to add the posts to social networks, which drives a lot of traffic to the site, which makes the advertisers happy, which pays the salaries of the writers (and pays the hosting bill). Catch 22! If someone can suggest a way to speed them up, please feel free! ;)

Rii
06-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Apparently putting the buttons in the articles themselves isn't an option as nobody clicks on them there. Which to my mind raises questions about the ethics of the whole enterprise.

Ghostbear
06-10-2011, 09:19 PM
The problem is, quite a lot of people only use them to add the posts to social networks, which drives a lot of traffic to the site, which makes the advertisers happy, which pays the salaries of the writers (and pays the hosting bill). Catch 22! If someone can suggest a way to speed them up, please feel free! ;)
Ah, not surprised that it's fairly beneficial on your end.

I'm not an expert on website implementations, so this might be crazy-not-actually-feasible, but could there be an intermediate page of some sort? Such that the reddit button doesn't actually go straight to the referral link, but instead goes to somewhere, that then loads the reddit data, then goes to the referral link. Or some other way to delay the loading of the reddit (/facebook / twitter / whatever else) data until someone actually clicks the button. I assume it's not feasible, otherwise it would have been done already, but that's the best idea I got.

It's weird actually, I've never seen other sites with similar buttons having similar trouble. The big culprit seems to be the reddit button, but other places don't have an issue with them either. Perhaps it's the sheer volume of simultaneous buttons?

Jams O'Donnell
07-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Or some other way to delay the loading of the reddit (/facebook / twitter / whatever else) data until someone actually clicks the button. I assume it's not feasible, otherwise it would have been done already, but that's the best idea I got.
That's the solution I'm currently pondering, though I'm sure there is some value in showing how many people already like an article.

Tei
07-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Is interesting to see how much files compose a page.

The frontpage weights 2,1 MB and use 122 files. Twitter is stupid, it need lots of connections (small, about 2k)... It make sense that generate problems for some people.

This image is big, 210 KB.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/2011/10/fp08a-600x281.png
Is big for not good reason. But I could see why the journalist would not want much image conversions, some automatic conversion. Banwitdh is cheap... troubles expensive.

That banner for nuclear damn weights 768 KB. But banners are good friends because help pay the bills.

I could see how RPS is a special case, because the journalist use videos from weird servers, and need all the weird setups and configs and jqueri-things of the word, is not a normal page that can be streamlined to a few files. This thing ask for "cleanup" organizing CSS and JS files, embeded CSS codes, embeded JS codes, maybe break a few bones to force everything to delay load as much as possible. But with the needs of the page its hard.

Rossignol
07-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Odd. The load thing has removed any freeze on the social buttons for me.

videojames
07-10-2011, 07:56 PM
I was wondering whether it was just me suffering from load times on the main page. Definitely needs resolving. Spoils what is otherwise a flawless and well designed (not to mention well informed and well educated) website.

rsherhod
08-10-2011, 01:57 PM
The suggested Ad filters sorted this out for a while, but now they've started getting through.
Fair enough these generate traffic, but for those of us who come here all the time, LET US TURN THIS SHIT OFF!

Mr-Brett
08-10-2011, 05:20 PM
I've never delved into the forums before but I've been visiting RPS for ages. Recently I've been experiencing this same issue and I get that it does help with traffic but in my case it's reducing it, the site has become so slow and unresponsive while it's loading scripts that I've been visiting less and less :(

Insolentius
09-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Yup, the issue has reared its ugly head yet again. Creating custom filters doesn't help since they only seem to block the display of facebook/reddit buttons, not the scripts themselves. I'm livid.

Reddit appears to be the main culprit...

Rossignol
10-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Hmm. Will look at it in detail. Odd because the most recent change has improved it for me enormously.

trjp
15-10-2011, 02:34 PM
I've brought this up in the past - the current situation with the page loading times is a complete joke (it's taking between 2 and 3 seconds to load for me, and the page cannot be scrolled until it's done).

So I'm afraid you're being Adblocked and Script disabled - for the benefit of others, this is how to make the site readable again

In Adblock, the filter you want is

rockpapershotgun.com##DIV[class="dd_buttons"]

That blocks all the social media shit from appearing.

Sadly, the battalion of scripts they've spaghetti'd into the page layout will still run and so the only solution to that is to disable Javascript. In Chrome, you can do this in Under the Bonnet, Content Settings, Javascript, Manage Exceptions and add rockpapershotgun.com to the 'BLOCK' type

If you use a browser other than Chrome, the solution is to uninstall the wheezy old shite and install Chrome :)

druski
15-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Hi, registered to chime in here as a long time RPS reader and occasional comment whinger. I'm also a web developer and am cringing every time I hit RPS's frontpage because of its awful performance. It could benefit from some fixes in wordpress.

1) Replace Digg Digg.
Digg Digg currently blocks scrolling in chrome in Windows & OSX until the lazyloading of the buttons is complete. This is extremely irritating. Potentially better alternatives exist.
For example check out:
Share This: http://help.sharethis.com/integration/wordpress
Sociable: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/sociable/
or skip using a plugin and use the embed directly http://www.w3-edge.com/weblog/2011/02/optimize-social-media-button-performance/

2) Do something about your horrible Yslow performance (firefox + yslow extension, check your page).
Apaprently, the go to plugin for vastly improving wordpress performance these days is WP-Total-Cache, a guide to installing and configuring is here: http://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/how-to-install-and-setup-w3-total-cache-for-beginners/

Although I can't guarantee that sharethis or sociable will outperform digg digg without trying myself, fixing your Yslow performance will definitely improve page load times. Fixing both your yslow and the digg digg problem will make for a frontpage that will be far faster to load, which will make your readers happier, first time visitors more likely to become regulars, and even improve your google ranking.

Estel
16-10-2011, 04:10 PM
2) Do something about your horrible Yslow performance (firefox + yslow extension, check your page).
Apaprently, the go to plugin for vastly improving wordpress performance these days is WP-Total-Cache, a guide to installing and configuring is here: http://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/how-to-install-and-setup-w3-total-cache-for-beginners/

The site is currently using WP-Super-Cache, which is what I'd heard of as being equally good.

trjp
17-10-2011, 02:55 PM
The alternative solution, of course, is to stop pushing social media nonsense at your readers.

If they want to share stuff on Facebook or Reddit or whatever, it's likely they'll have an easy means to do so - hell if you can't cut and paste a link, I'm not sure we should let you on the Web in the first place.

It's time sites stopped foisting this shit on their readers - it's crippling page load times and allowing sites like Facebook etc. to get a tonne of tracking info about their customers in the bargain!!

Worst for RPS is that more and more people will block the Ads - it's completely counter-productive.

kirrus
17-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Hi, registered to chime in here as a long time RPS reader and occasional comment whinger. I'm also a web developer and am cringing every time I hit RPS's frontpage because of its awful performance. It could benefit from some fixes in wordpress.

Although I can't guarantee that sharethis or sociable will outperform digg digg without trying myself, fixing your Yslow performance will definitely improve page load times. Fixing both your yslow and the digg digg problem will make for a frontpage that will be far faster to load, which will make your readers happier, first time visitors more likely to become regulars, and even improve your google ranking.

This site uses some incredibly advanced caching software, on top of wp-SuperCache. The load is at the browser processing tonns of javascript, not the servers.

They grew out of plain supercache years ago ;)

zanchito
17-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the blocking Javascript tip, it fixed things like magic! The load times and total blockage of any RPS tabs I open when I reload were driving me away from the site. I couldn't scroll any of the tabs nor stop the loading proccess using Chrome + Win7 x64.

To me, it's nice to have easy to access social buttons, but I'd MUCH rather have a fast, responsive site and share just by copying&pasting the article links. Of course, other people might have other priorities, but I feel that having a page that doesn't load and blocks other related tabs defeats the purpose of any social interactivity plugins.

I appretiate the complexity of managing the site (both technically and economically), but those scripts are really dragging down the user experience as they are now.

trjp
18-10-2011, 03:12 PM
I'd just like to re-iterate that the embedded scripts are nasty and insidious and purely designed to get around adblocking software - I'd really like to know why RPS feel they have this right to ram social media links down our throat...

I'm fine with ads but I don't see this obsessive need to cram a Facebook/Reddit/Twitter/Google+ etc. link upto 30-odd times into every single page - it's demonstrates a deep lack of respect for readers and a deep lack of common sense in terms of content overkill and the likelihood people will simply block everything but the words...

kirrus
18-10-2011, 05:27 PM
I'd just like to re-iterate that the embedded scripts are nasty and insidious and purely designed to get around adblocking software - I'd really like to know why RPS feel they have this right to ram social media links down our throat...

I'm fine with ads but I don't see this obsessive need to cram a Facebook/Reddit/Twitter/Google+ etc. link upto 30-odd times into every single page - it's demonstrates a deep lack of respect for readers and a deep lack of common sense in terms of content overkill and the likelihood people will simply block everything but the words...
It also directs a large quantity of traffic at RPS, which means advertisers pay decent money, the adverts pay for the site hosting, and pay for the site's writers to eat, and be able to write for RPS full time. You like having lots of new posts yes? Then there are necessary evils. If you don't like it, block the adverts, block the javascript, and subscribe. You wouldn't be the first, and I doubt the last.

Edgar The Peaceful
24-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Long time subscriber here. Just posting to say that the slowness of loading (in Chrome) was causing me to resent my favourite site. As others have noted, I had to wait 3/4 seconds before scrolling. I've now blocked Java for the page as directed above (thank you!). I doubt if many will be bothered to do this and will just go elsewhere. I'm not sure how much traffic the social media links bring in but I'd strongly advise getting rid of them and just relying on the quality of writing.

Rossignol
24-10-2011, 07:20 PM
We are working on this currently.

Rii
26-10-2011, 10:29 AM

Because it's their site?

tracymicgredy
26-10-2011, 02:29 PM
From China about 10 secs

Josh04
27-10-2011, 11:57 AM
RPS is the most resource-hungry site I visit on a regular basis:

http://i.imgur.com/SESSG.png

That ~150mb is because it's loading and excuting two large javascript libraries ten times per page each. The reddit button is loading jQuery:

http://i.imgur.com/6Je2z.png

And the Facebook button is loading some nebulous Facebook interface:

http://i.imgur.com/MjOU2.png

For whatever reason (most likely ease of getting ten different Facebook buttons to load on the same page without crashing), whoever developed this stuck each button in it's own iFrame, so each button is loaded as a page-within-a-page. Each of those pages is loading as much heavy-duty javascript as a full page would, with the end result that loading Rock Paper Shotgun is a little like trying to load twenty pages at once.

Nullkigan
27-10-2011, 12:04 PM
They do seem to be working on that problem. The testing they did yesterday shunted the twitter button to be local. I'd expect these other buttons to eventually follow suit.

But yes, very silly.

Rossignol
27-10-2011, 01:11 PM
I am honestly not sure what to do about the Reddit button. It's become by far one of our highest sources of traffic, I am extremely reticent to mess with that (or to remove the immediate "vote" functionality of the button itself), especially since Reddit traffic has been vital to the site's growth in the past year.

That might sound mercenary, but since we have now largely quit other jobs to concentrate on RPS as a commercial site, anything that generates new and additional traffic is precious.

Open to suggestions.

Josh04
27-10-2011, 01:36 PM
You could cheat and have the buttons not load until someone mouses near them, that'd solve the page load time issue.

Estel
27-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Do you have any stats on the number of people that share from the Article page compared to the Home page (or other archives).

If the majority are using share buttons from the article itself, I would highly recommend having the share buttons appear only on the article and not in on the homepage or in the archives where they'll appear ten times per page.

Better yet, this is exactly what A/B testing is for. Do a split test for a few weeks and see what happens.

Personally, I'd be pretty surprised if you lost a statistically significant number of shares/traffic by removing share links from the home page, and I'd suspect you'd see a measurable change in your bounce rate.

Nesetalis
24-12-2011, 01:45 PM
I was just thinking about this, as I changed browsers and had to reapply the blocks.
They should have an unloaded script element, a collapsed div, that only loads the content when the div is expanded.
Streamed content is fairly trivial to do these days, and sacrificing the stability and usability of the website for something so stupid and trivial is stupid.
other sites I go to, do not freeze for 5-10 seconds, so they are doing something wrong.

Also, the collapsed div can be covered by a reddit button, with a very simple script. Something loaded once at the top of the page that executes the reddit upvote functionality, but only after the div has expanded and the jquery script has loaded. You will very likely have to modify the script itself to make it work that way... but its gotta be better than loading 11 different copies of the same script :p

and another problem.
I was unable to comment by default. Had to turn off the nifty fancy commenting doohicky in preferences and turn it to basic. It wouldn't load properly in chrome (perhaps due to blocking certain scripts to mitigate the load times on the front page?)

Nesetalis
12-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Found a better solution... an adblock list containing all the damn social buttons spamming the web..
https://monzta.maltekraus.de/adblock_social.txt
you can add it to your adblock or put them in yourself. Either way, works wonders EVERY page surfs a thousand times faster now :P