PDA

View Full Version : Red Faction: Armageddon bomba ---> THQ kills franchise

SirKicksalot
27-07-2011, 11:29 PM
THQ has pulled the plug on its Red Faction franchise following poor sales of RF: Armageddon.
Speaking at an investor call today, CEO Brian Farrell confirmed that "we do not intend to carry forward with that franchise in any meaningful way."

Holy effin' shit! (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-27-thq-abandons-red-faction-franchise)

I can't believe they give up on it. I wonder exactly how catastrophic the sales were, THQ had ambitious plans with those spin-offs and the TV movie and possible show... And who the hell agreed to launch it during E3?

(Inb4 the franchise rises from the grave after the Total Recall remake)

Xercies
27-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Well they really shouldn't have just made it into a kind of generic third person shooter, and stuck with the ridiculous open world thing they did with Guerilla

QuantaCat
27-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Hm. Poor Volition. I hope their Saints Row The Third fares well, because for some reason, I like them. Maybe it was that documentary that was made a couple of months ago.

sabrage
28-07-2011, 12:17 AM
I hope that Volition does a good job with Insane, which in turn sells by the truckload

Malawi Frontier Guard
28-07-2011, 12:38 AM
It was fun while it lasted.

There is a pun to be made about Red Faction not having been carried forward in a meaningful way with Armageddon. I don't know.

Smashbox
28-07-2011, 12:49 AM
There really was something exciting about Guerilla, I played that game for a long time and never stopped grinning. Lots of original ideas. I have no idea how Armageddon was made after that. Sadly, they squandered a lot of potential.

sabrage
28-07-2011, 12:52 AM
I'll pick up Armageddon once it heats cheap (which now seems imminent) on the strength of two words alone: NAPALM LASER

Smashbox
28-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Call me crazy, but napalm laser seems like a bit of a contradiction in terms.

QuantaCat
28-07-2011, 01:38 AM
maybe the laser shoots palm trees in a place called "na" ?

that was horrible.

Kodeen
28-07-2011, 05:02 AM
That's a shame (and I don't mean that in the RPS meme way). I only ever played the first one PS2, seemed a decent enough game though. In other news, before this thread I was completely unaware of a Total Recall remake. Just looked it up and I must say, I am disappointed in it's existence. Even if they have paper mache third bossoms and make "Chocolate Rain" part of the official soundtrack, I feel ... like they're raping my childhood.

Chris Evans
29-07-2011, 01:58 PM
I'll pick up Armageddon once it heats cheap (which now seems imminent) on the strength of two words alone: NAPALM LASER

It is about 20 on Amazon and personally I think it is well worth that. Really enjoyable game, it may not be a groundbreaking 90% kind of game, but it would sit in the early 80s if I was using a numerical system for it.

I found Guerilla a bit...so-so, didn't really find it massively appealing.

Sad to see the franchise ending though, loved the first one on the PS2, just destroying the multiplayer maps with the bots was awesome.

Alex Bakke
29-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Really saddened to hear this; I hoped they would have made a return to First-Person before they were done with it.

The JG Man
29-07-2011, 06:03 PM
It is about 20 on Amazon

Down even more now. Both 15 at Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Faction-Armageddon-Commando-Limited/dp/B004VQFH5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311958696&sr=8-1) and Game (http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PC-Games-and-Downloads/Shooter-First-Person/Red-Faction-Armageddon-Commando-Recon-Edition/~r354602/?s=red+faction+armageddon). I'm tempted, but I already have loads in the back-log. I'll probably wait till it hits 10, which suddenly makes me feel very cheap.

sabrage
30-07-2011, 12:15 AM
I've got too many other games to even put Armageddon on my radar, but I'll get to it eventually. Is there mod support? I might grab the console version when I do.

cowthief skank
30-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Would I be right in assuming that their words "we do not intend to carry forward with that franchise in any meaningful way" mean that now anybodyh could make a Red Faction game without fear of infringing copyright? If not, there is something seriously wrong with copyright law...

hamster
30-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Nope. Unless they don't renew their copyright/trademark. Probably gonna keep it tho. Could always sell the rights and I think it counts as an asset