PDA

View Full Version : The Different Versions of Deus Ex Human Revolution

cowthief skank
29-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Sometimes it feels like publishers are trying to make the experience of buying and playing a game as difficult and annoying as possible.

If I understand it correctly, you could buy the standard version of Deus Ex. Or, you could buy the special version, from certain shops, which comes with a special bonus mission, and a couple of special weapons, and an automatic unlocking device. Or, you could buy an even specialer version, which comes with yet more special weapons, and 10,000 credits.

So, I have to wonder, is the unlocking of doors so shit in game that an automatic unlocking device is worthwhile? Or do the publishers think it is a good idea to give away something which essentially negates part of the game? Having avoided previews as much as possible, perhaps I am unaware of how the game plays, and the unlocking of doors is not tied to your character progress and is simply a boring chore?

As for the version with all those credits... In what way does it make sense to fry the economy of the game from the start? Or is 10,000 credits simply enough to buy a couple of ammo clips (in which case, why even bother?)?

I can just about tolerate them giving away free weapons with different pre-order versions (although one of the weapons is the always enjoyable remote mines), but some of the pre-order bonuses seem intended to break the game.

So, it seems almost more worthwhile to avoid the special versions, and go for the basic one without the credits or automatic unlocking device... Except that way you lose the bonus mission.

I would be interested to hear the thoughts of others, particularly if there is something I am missing in all this...

Jams O'Donnell
29-07-2011, 11:57 AM
The more people who buy the special versions, the more game companies will feel justified in offereng them. Take a stand -- buy the basic version.

CMaster
29-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Here's the thing I think about collectors editions at launch and why I've never got or even wanted one:
I don't know before I've played it if the game is going to mean that much to me.
I don't even know if it will be any good.
I certainly don't know which bits are important.

If I wanted a special version of a game because it was special to me, the problem is I'd already have the game. Sometimes maybe I'd be prepared to buy one later if it came with the right bits (someone bought Civ 2 collectors edition for me, it was ace), like expansions/DLC whatever. But that's never the way it works. To me, buying special editions that are preorder/launch only is just a way of saying "I'm super gullible and easily dragged in by hype!"

Jockie
29-07-2011, 12:22 PM
I've never bought a special edition or collectors edition of a game other than the 'Digital deluxe' versions, which are usually just the normal version with launch dlc.

But Human revolution does tempt me. Apparently PC Gamer have scored it 94% in their magazine and it has GOTY written all over it I reckon.

CMaster
29-07-2011, 12:32 PM
But Human revolution does tempt me. Apparently PC Gamer have scored it 94% in their magazine and it has GOTY written all over it I reckon.

But even a 94% GOTY doesn't mean it will be a game that matters to me. Bioshock received universal praise and awards, yet I'd feel really silly if I had a big daddy statue kicking around, as the game didn't engage with me at all.

On the other hand, a bag that looked like Jade's S.A.C. from BG&E would be pretty neat, but that only got middling critical reception.

Jockie
29-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Well, the fact that the original was a seminal moment in gaming for me personally and that the idea of a sequel that lives up to its legacy physically excites me probably has something to do with it as well.

Although, come to think of it, system shock 2 was probably after Deus Ex my most important game, but I didn't feel the urge to get an SE of 'spiritual sequel' Bioshock.

QuantaCat
29-07-2011, 01:17 PM
But even a 94% GOTY doesn't mean it will be a game that matters to me. Bioshock received universal praise and awards, yet I'd feel really silly if I had a big daddy statue kicking around, as the game didn't engage with me at all.

On the other hand, a bag that looked like Jade's S.A.C. from BG&E would be pretty neat, but that only got middling critical reception.

Hey! I had that fucking statue! But then again, I also loved the game.

BTW, any MP mode for DX:HR planned? Would be funny if they added it onto it afterwards, just like DX!

cowthief skank
29-07-2011, 01:28 PM
The more people who buy the special versions, the more game companies will feel justified in offereng them. Take a stand -- buy the basic version.

I think you are right. I had pretty much decided to buy the basic version, and although sometimes I am a sucker for the pre-orders, I do feel like a sucker every time.

I just don't like feeling I am missing out part of the game (the bonus mission).

thesisko
29-07-2011, 01:34 PM
I asked this question on Bioware's forums once and the answer from the fanboys was basically "I like shiny things and feeling overpowered".

CMaster
29-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Hey! I had that fucking statue! But then again, I also loved the game.

Exactly. So for you the little Big Daddy has some meaning - it reminds you of a game and experience you loved, it's a pretty cool trinket. But you don't know whether it will be that, or just some junk until you've played the game.

Anthile
29-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Most pre-order stuff is either worthless to begin with or just a crutch for early levels, that is easily outclassed very soon.

DarkFenix
29-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Oh it's even worse. You have to differentiate not just by version, but by locale and retailer too.

So you've got the Standard Edition (which insofar as preorders go they're calling the "Limited Edition"), which comes with the increasingly-customary retailer-specific extras. I believe this comes in the form of two different ingame content sets. Depending on where you live, different things may or may not be available.

Then you've got the Augmented Edition, which comes with both ingame content sets and a few other bells and whistles. Unless you buy it from Steam, which makes no mention of the ingame content, but instead throws in the previous two Deus Ex titles.

Then there's the Collector's Edition, which is physical-only, and comes with all ingame content and a load of other stuff.

sinomatic
29-07-2011, 02:33 PM
So, I have to wonder, is the unlocking of doors so shit in game that an automatic unlocking device is worthwhile? Or do the publishers think it is a good idea to give away something which essentially negates part of the game? Having avoided previews as much as possible, perhaps I am unaware of how the game plays, and the unlocking of doors is not tied to your character progress and is simply a boring chore?

As for the version with all those credits... In what way does it make sense to fry the economy of the game from the start? Or is 10,000 credits simply enough to buy a couple of ammo clips (in which case, why even bother?)?

RE the unlocking device.... I think it might actually be a consumable. I think there's also a one-use explosive device included in the augmented edition too.

Consumables I don't mind so much, and cash you can choose not to use, but the holding back of a mission (especially one with a nod to fans of the series) is pretty damn shitty. Unless they will release it later on down the line for everyone. I might think about forgiving them then.

To be honest though, it doesn't affect me as I was buying the augmented edition for the dvd and artbook. I don't mind paying extra (well, in theory - I got a cheap preorder) for real-world, non-game-affecting items.

Smashbox
29-07-2011, 02:54 PM
I deplore this practice, and I have not and will not buy a collectors' edition, deluxe edition, etc. or pre-order a game.

Sidorovich
29-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Don't the augmented or whatever versions have a unique mission with Tracer Tong as well? So if your're scraping around just to get the basic version (as I am) you miss out on this npc completely?

As much as I hope Deus Ex 3 is a return to form for the series, this bonkers strategy of bleeding players dry just to get the weapons they hoped to be using anyway is really beginning to grate.

Alex Bakke
29-07-2011, 03:04 PM
The extra items, etc you get ingame are worthless. 10,000 credits will buy you 2 (I believe) Praxis points; worth much more than a couple of magazines of ammunition, but it doesn't last long. The weapons, you can get later on. They're just normal weapons with a few modifications, I believe. The 'UR-DED's, the explosive charges, are ubiquitous in-game. The automatic unlocking devices are uncommon, but they're certainly not exclusive to the limited editions. If I were to get the Augmented Edition, it would be for the artwork, making of DVD etc alone.

cowthief skank
29-07-2011, 03:14 PM
The extra items, etc you get ingame are worthless. 10,000 credits will buy you 2 (I believe) Praxis points; worth much more than a couple of magazines of ammunition, but it doesn't last long. The weapons, you can get later on. They're just normal weapons with a few modifications, I believe. The 'UR-DED's, the explosive charges, are ubiquitous in-game. The automatic unlocking devices are uncommon, but they're certainly not exclusive to the limited editions. If I were to get the Augmented Edition, it would be for the artwork, making of DVD etc alone.

That is very useful, thank you. I wondered if I was missing something - whenever I had tried to find out is always seemed to read as though the items were exclusive, which seemed designed to piss people off.

Smashbox
29-07-2011, 03:37 PM
I think there is a twofold impetus for these decisions:
1 - In the run-up to the game, you get more stories published on game blogs and the like for press releases detailing "Bonus Content" (actually content omitted from the standard game). A surprisingly large amount of free publicity.
2 - $$$

Alex Bakke
29-07-2011, 03:51 PM
That is very useful, thank you. I wondered if I was missing something - whenever I had tried to find out is always seemed to read as though the items were exclusive, which seemed designed to piss people off.

Furthermore I should point out that the items actually ruin the games' balance. You're given them on your first mission, completely filling up your inventory leaving you unable to pick up any more weapons. They come with hardly any ammunition so you're unable to use them for that long. Eventually, I dropped them. You could sell them later I guess, but it seems a bit disjointing.

cowthief skank
29-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Furthermore I should point out that the items actually ruin the games' balance. You're given them on your first mission, completely filling up your inventory leaving you unable to pick up any more weapons. They come with hardly any ammunition so you're unable to use them for that long. Eventually, I dropped them. You could sell them later I guess, but it seems a bit disjointing.

That is what I feared. Almost as though they balanced the game, got it so it played how they intended, then if you pre-order you get a bunch of stuff dumped on you at the start, breaking the game. I get that you don't have to use items, can drop them, but it seems a little daft.

Xercies
29-07-2011, 04:23 PM
The reason for store exclusives, simple they want people to go into the store and buy it off them, the reason for physical collectors editions is to buy it from the store anyway. You will see it mroe and mroe as digital becomes more and mroe relevent and stores become less so. The stores no there going by the wayside, and like Film with 3d there doing anything crazy to get people in.

Smashbox
29-07-2011, 04:27 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtHwM_Es46cwY08CYWM1ppO_5ydh-X66HlFUig1V7RgUBmsboDVw

QuantaCat
29-07-2011, 07:47 PM
By the way, are those explosives still in the game? those nifty grenadelike things you could attach to stuff? (LED? MED? MAD? LAD? MAC? XAC?)

Sidorovich
29-07-2011, 08:57 PM
I have no idea, but if they do return I hope you can still attach them to walls and use them as ladders to circumvent the level design as per the original game.

Flobulon
29-07-2011, 09:05 PM
So i just got my issue of PCG, and it looks like Human Revolution is the real deal. Can't wait.

QuantaCat
29-07-2011, 09:14 PM
So.. no multiplayer then?

thegooseking
29-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Probably not.

People are already making HR-themed levels for the multiplayer of the original game, though.

Kadayi
29-07-2011, 10:33 PM
I deplore this practice, and I have not and will not buy a collectors' edition, deluxe edition, etc. or pre-order a game.

Christ, it's hardly the white slave trade or blood diamonds. Some sense of perspective here.

Personally I'm buying the retailed augmented edition for the making of stuff (as it seems like they've put a lot of work into it in terms of the visual style). I have no interest in action figurines though.

Hensler
29-07-2011, 11:18 PM
I see the credits/unlocker as the gaming industry's way of monetizing cheat codes. And cheat codes have always been crazy popular - look at the 90's with Game Genies or all the books on the subject at your local book store. It doesn't really say anything bad about the game itself, and it's likely the publisher, not the developer, who requested special content for bonus editions.

Deathbringer
30-07-2011, 12:36 AM
The 10,000 credits is really barely anything.. it's more to help you start off the game a bit easier. I pre-ordered the Augmented Edition for the extra artwork and the "making of" DVD. I played a beta version of the game and I was sold on buying it. It's freakin' awesome, I assure you.

Smashbox
30-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Christ, it's hardly the white slave trade or blood diamonds. Some sense of perspective here.

I don't know if complaining about it on a forum thread dedicated to its discussion on a PC gaming board is necessarily out of line. I honestly do believe it degrades the game experience.

soldant
30-07-2011, 02:35 AM
I just can't be bothered with most Collector's Editions these days. I used to buy them to support developers whose games I particularly liked, but these days I just can't be bothered. I haven't seen one in a while which has anything decent included. Most of the items included in the box are fairly low quality and lots of "making of" stuff ends up online, especially in this day and age where developers rant and rave for months (sometimes years) prior to release.

I just ordered the standard edition.

Lightbulb
30-07-2011, 07:48 AM
I will be getting the GOTY edition on sale end of 2012 for £10 with all the DLC, expansions and decent mods available.

cowthief skank
30-07-2011, 09:21 AM
I just ordered the standard edition.

This is my intention... I just need to find somewhere to buy the standard edition for cheap, without a box. The sale on Green Man Gaming appears to be over and I took too long to decide...

Rii
30-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Nothing wrong with a Collector's Edition if it's done right and priced appropriately. Of course, most of 'em aren't, either including stuff that really should've been in the standard SKU or failing to include anything of interest at all. DX:HR's thing of including stuff that arguably lessens the game experience is another, more novel method of fail.

As for the risk associated with buying into a CE before you know if the game is any good, well, that's merely an extension of the problem with buying into the game at all without having played it. Most often the CEs that appeal are going to be those from developers with sterling records or whose franchises have otherwise attracted unusually devoted adherents.

goatmonkey
30-07-2011, 09:59 AM
I hate denying content to anyone but if it's just a starter boost and the weapons are in the game later on that's fine however I think cutting out a mission is a super cheap way to make your special edition look better. I have an Augmented edition pre-order because from the preview build it has an awesome soundtrack combined with the time it was priced the same as the standard edition.

On the other hand all the extra in-game content in the Mass Effect 3 collectors has put me of buying either edition as I have to fork out 3 times the regular price or get an incomplete game.

Kadayi
30-07-2011, 11:17 AM
I don't know if complaining about it on a forum thread dedicated to its discussion on a PC gaming board is necessarily out of line. I honestly do believe it degrades the game experience.

There's deploring the practice and then there's carrying out an effective action that might actually make a difference. Refusing to buy a game doesn't mean anything to a publisher unless they are aware that you've refused to buy it (it's the sound of one hand clapping). Stating your intentions on a general gaming forum doesn't cut the mustard Vs writing to said publishers and saying 'I'm not buying DXHR at release because...(insert long reasoned stance)'. Protesting through denial is ineffective unless you make the subject aware as to your boycott.

cowthief skank
30-07-2011, 11:23 AM
On the other hand all the extra in-game content in the Mass Effect 3 collectors has put me of buying either edition as I have to fork out 3 times the regular price or get an incomplete game.

The only in-game content I could see for this seemed to be fairly rubbish - extra clothes, a robot dog, and a couple of weapons, which appear to be different versions of standard weapons... I guess the robot dog could have some sort of mission or something? (I haven't been keeping up with previews of Mass Effect 3 because I fully intend to get it and never read previews of games I know I will be buying so perhaps I have missed something)

Drake Sigar
30-07-2011, 11:26 AM
I have never bought a special edition, collector’s edition, or chocolate sprinkles edition. It’s always baffled me how people are willing to fork out in some cases hundreds of pounds for a cheap plastic model and a couple of frivolous in-game items. Now I’m not saying I’m better than these people, but…

No wait, that’s exactly what I’m saying.

ezekiel2517
30-07-2011, 11:34 AM
The Augmented seems the best one between price and usefulness (art book, making of), even though I am upset it comes with no soundtrack, while the "limited" edition does for 10 more dollars. This is ignoring all of that retailer extras nonsense.

Kadayi
30-07-2011, 11:45 AM
I have never bought a special edition, collectorís edition, or chocolate sprinkles edition. Itís always baffled me how people are willing to fork out in some cases hundreds of pounds for a cheap plastic model and a couple of frivolous in-game items. Now Iím not saying Iím better than these people, butÖ

No wait, thatís exactly what Iím saying.

Alternatively maybe the people that buy them are just that much more into gaming culture than you are?

Donjo
30-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Alternatively maybe the people that buy them are just that much more into gaming culture than you are?

I think you can be very much into whatever creative culture you want without having to consume the tat that surrounds them.

Vandelay
30-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Agree with that. It's the same attitude I have with buying films on DVD. I want to watch the film, so generally get the vanilla version, just as I want to play the game, so buy standard edition. If it is a couple more pounds than I do sometimes get a special edition, but I usually end up not looking at the extras.

In the case of DE:HR, I've got the Amazon Limited Edition, as they don't seem to have a standard one. The Augmented Edition is an extra £7, which is quite a bit more when I'm only interested in the extra mission.

Kadayi
30-07-2011, 12:55 PM
I think you can be very much into whatever creative culture you want without having to consume the tat that surrounds them.

Well ultimately it comes down to personal value judgement (one mans tat is another mans prized possession). I've no interest in figurines, so I'm not getting the collectors edition, however I am interested in 'the making of' and Art book because I actively like seeing the process behind things. For the same reason that I'll buy the 2 disc edition of a film if I think the extras are worth it and I'm interested in them. Generally if I think something is over priced I'll wait until it hit a suitable price point and then purchase it.

The point of my response was not to defend the editions aspect, more point out the absurdity of Drake Sigar assertion.

On that note. I do dislike substantial pre-order bonuses, simply because they force people to take a gamble on a product that's not been reviewed. Sure you can usually get a good idea as to the relative worth of a game prior to release from previews, but in the event that you are undecided and thus holding out for a proper review, you're missing out. That to me seems wrong.

Donjo
30-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Well ultimately it comes down to personal value judgement (one mans tat is another mans prized possession). I've no interest in figurines, so I'm not getting the collectors edition, however I am interested in 'the making of' and Art book because I actively like seeing the process behind things. For the same reason that I'll buy the 2 disc edition of a film if I think the extras are worth it and I'm interested in them. Generally if I think something is over priced I'll wait until it hit a suitable price point and then purchase it.

The point of my response was not to defend the editions aspect, more point out the absurdity of Drake Sigar assertion.

On that note. I do dislike substantial pre-order bonuses, simply because they force people to take a gamble on a product that's not been reviewed. Sure you can usually get a good idea as to the relative worth of a game prior to release from previews, but in the event that you are undecided and thus holding out for a proper review, you're missing out. That to me seems wrong.

Ah yeah, I see what you're saying. I've got stuff that friends really wouldn't see any value in at all, an Aperture science pint glass for instance.. although you can drink pints out of it, maybe a bad example :) Yeah, the eye of the beholder and all that..
Regarding pre-order bonuses, I suppose they could be viewed in different ways- something interesting as incentive to get in early or cynical marketing ploy.. I'd mostly go with cynical marketing ploy although behind the scenes stuff for HR could be good, I probably won't fork out for it but I'd be interesting in watching it, if it's actually substantial and not just al load of tat roped together :)

Berzee
30-07-2011, 03:08 PM
I got Oregon Trail 3 for my birthday when I was a lad, and it came in a wooden box that slid open.
Love that box...

Drake Sigar
30-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Maybe I’m being a bit of a purist, but I think we should just get back to enjoying the games. I do realize however, that mainstream popularity has its price and I’m probably going to have to suffer through subpar novels, gimmicky pre-order bonuses, and sleazy merchandizing for the rest of my life. Thankfully the benefits are totally worth it.

Smashbox
30-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Stating your intentions on a general gaming forum doesn't cut the mustard Vs writing to said publishers and saying 'I'm not buying DXHR at release because...(insert long reasoned stance)'. Protesting through denial is ineffective unless you make the subject aware as to your boycott.

Maybe I could lease a billboard and hire a skywriter to drive my point home. Or just not buy things I think are a ripoff.

goatmonkey
31-07-2011, 09:44 AM
I believe there is an extra mission and character (which may be a horrible way of making the dog sound more important) which was the clincher for me. It is mostly because I love Mass Effect so much I don't want to miss out on any part of it but I will be buggered if I play £70 at launch then another £30 for DLC a few month later.

Looking at the way the extra character and mission is mentioned on game I am wondering if they are just the new buyer items as with Mass Effect 2 which I guess does make it more appealing. Still think I will be waiting till it is super cheap and there's no more content for it I don't really have the desire to go back to many games once I have finished them and with something that is supposed to be as climactic as ME3 endgame content just seems absurd.

On the subject of Deus Ex for whoever was saying the soundtrack is not in the Augmented Edition on the amazon listing it is supposedly on the bonus DVD

BobsLawnService
31-07-2011, 12:00 PM
I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul. This means that I buy the collectors editions of all new Fallout games. Casino chips, comics, playing cards, bobble heads, lunchboxes - they're all cool. I can't explain why I want to own them but I do. Why do people collect stamps or anything else for that matter?

Kadayi
31-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Maybe I could lease a billboard and hire a skywriter to drive my point home. Or just not buy things I think are a ripoff.

Hey if you want to 'silently' protest games that's your prerogative. After all why let reason get in the way of making a personal statement that will impress us all. I personally look forward to you reminding us endlessly in every DX:HR thread and article to the end of time, about how you never bought it, and will never buy it it because of the whole 'rip off editions' thing. Fight the power!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PaoLy7PHwk

Smashbox
31-07-2011, 04:57 PM
I dont get the confrontational attitude, Kadayi. Game looks awesome and I will buy it, but I won't get into the "ransoming the full experience" cynical marketing plan. Hopefully I can impress you in other ways.

BobsLawnService
31-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Some people worry far too much about what other people spend their money on.

PeteC
31-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Never saw the point of these special editions either. The only one that looked vaguely appealing to me was the one for Anno 1404. It had almonds, man!

But yeah, I'll just be getting the regular edition of Deus Ex as usual. Slightly irked that they see fit to take away a mission. I don't mind if they include making of's, soundtracks and what have you but increasingly we're seeing publishers take away a chunk of the game and reserve it for these special editions which is annoying. It's actually encouraged me to wait a while and get the GOTY version with it all included for a fraction of the price.

Kadayi
31-07-2011, 09:09 PM
I dont get the confrontational attitude, Kadayi. Game looks awesome and I will buy it, but I won't get into the "ransoming the full experience" cynical marketing plan. Hopefully I can impress you in other ways.

Let me see, probably because you initially posted this: -

And then when presented with a reasonable suggestion ('write to the publisher') posted this snarky response: -

You reap what you sow.

Smashbox
31-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Ok I'll buy the expensive version. :(

Kadayi
31-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Hopefully I can impress you in other ways.

Removing that snark augmentation would be a good start.

Smashbox
31-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Annnyway. Back on topic - I saw a great deal on Green Man Gaming for the standard version, activatable on Steam using this coupon code: FACEB-JULY4-20PEC. I think someone said it expires Monday.

R-F
31-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Hey if you want to 'silently' protest games that's your prerogative. After all why let reason get in the way of making a personal statement that will impress us all. I personally look forward to you reminding us endlessly in every DX:HR thread and article to the end of time, about how you never bought it, and will never buy it it because of the whole 'rip off editions' thing. Fight the power!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PaoLy7PHwk

Is that the best video you could find for this?

I'll one (OR TWO) up you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4eEGeqC-8M