PDA

View Full Version : The (unofficial) RPS Minecraft Server Thread III

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Comrade Commissar
06-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Of course you can do that. I'd suggest you make a mine for this purpose, though, as it's rather dangerous to mine it on the surface (Ghasts everywhere).

El Stevo
06-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Are "permanently on" gates stable now? I would hope so... it's been months now that they have been working on that.
I never knew there were any issues with them, but we've had a couple for a few weeks now with no problems that I know of.

kagebe
06-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Just posting to say that you might see me around on the server. Eltagno put me on the probation whitelist.
I got back into minecraft recently after some playing on and off since february. Before that I ran a small amazon based server for a group of friends and I especially remember the feeling of getting lost in huge underground cave systems. Now I'd like to build more and be creative.
In real life I'm a computer science (master/soon to be phd) student in germany.
Happy crafting and building!

Gerbster
06-07-2011, 11:41 PM
In terms of pure practicality I think it would be best to have a single dedicated hub, like the Nexus. You could have some permanently on gates to major destinations such as the market and spawn, and then 2 or 3 of the standard multi-choice gates for each of the compass points. You could also have some gates to people's private networks if they wanted them. With the right design it would be easy to navigate.Practicality isn't the only big deal here - I don't think anyone really is unhappy with the current hubs set-up, its just getting a bit unwieldy for the sheer number of gates. Also, I do think the Market, while being an acceptable entrance to RPS Nova, isn't really achieving anything other than being a delay as a necessary step. I'd go back to what we originally planned - the gate in new spawn leads to the hubs and the market (and maybe remove n00b castle while we are at it?).

My thoughts for the gates was simple - we divide by general region, and list alphabetically. Having seen the gates file, i think it would be a lot easier to actually reorganise the gates in a text editor (remember, we are only talking about the hub-based gates here!).

My current proposals, in summary then, are:

1) Add in new gates at the NESW hubs, split into regions. Gates are listed alphabetically (I can update this monthly or something - won't be a big deal cos each gate will only end up with maybe 8 or so listings). The hubs will need a bit of work, but there's definitely space in each of them (I checked today).
2) Revert new spawn gate back to a standard one, which lists the hubs, plus a central one.
3) RPS Nova market sticks in a second (or more if needed) gate with links to the centrally located gates (IE it becomes the central hub location)

I'll try to draw up a map tonight indicating roughly where I think the regions should be. It'll be based on my month-old gate map, so we can see where (if at all) gates are concentrated.

Comrade Commissar
07-07-2011, 02:26 AM
Did I get this right?
You don't want to build extra hubs for NE, SE, SW and NW but you still want to organise the 2 or 3 portals at each existing hub by the regions?

Wouldn't it be much easier and especially more cleary arranged if we would just add the central network, make 2 portals at each existing hub and then just sort it by the alphabet. For example "Northern Hub 1" contains all gates from A-M and "Northern Hub 2" contains all gates from N-Z. I'd prefer that method, so people can search by the alphabet when they look for a specific gate.

DRoseDARs
07-07-2011, 04:08 AM
Ok, so after playing around a bit, Gerb and I have found this setup to be rather workable for individual sub stations (like say the South Sub): 4 gates set in a square with their signs/buttons on the inside, 1 gate connects to the Central Network and the other 3 gates are divided in groups by first letter (like say # and A-H first gate, I-Q second, and R-Z third). This setup looks nice (condensed space and legal placement as far as plugin is concerned; we tried some trickery but plugin rejected) and is easy to use (you get deposited in the middle-ish of the square and only need spin in-place to see all four).

Using letters isn't future-proof in terms of growth, basically kicking the can down the road, but it's a long road so we'll likely be fine. Using numbers and limiting the amount of connections to an individual gate is future-proof (hard limit of like 10 connections to a gate, adding new numbered sub gates as needed) but ends up being ugly and not nicely sorted by letter. So I concur going by letter is better, though individual sets themselves might not be alphabetized, just grouped in a set (ie A-H and all that). Done to North Sub for example, CasaDeRose and Bodington would be grouped in the first set and Skullbread would be in the third.

As for spawn, the plan for a newspawn (scouting for an appropriate site began February) was always to have it well-away from dense development, the reason being that people can get lag by virtue of being near so much of it. It stems from lighting and rendering issues. Remember: There's a lot of artificially hollowed-out space in, around, and underneath RPS Nova. The client renders and lights EVERYTHING around a player, regardless if they can see it or not. Having newspawn like 20 tiles away from oldspawn in the middle of RPS Nova defeats the whole purpose of having a newspawn in the first place. Having the market as the gate to RPS Nova is a good idea as my oldspawn hut is and always was shit (I didn't build it for looks, I built it for OMG CREEPERS RUN! since at the time we hadn't mob-proofed yet) so I won't be missing it. We had planned on Noob Castle being the permanent spawn location like we had it on the M3 map, but that was before we realized the lag issue.

I hope people find all this acceptable. Further input?

Comrade Commissar
07-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Now we only need a border for the central network. For example 20 chunks away from RPS center or 40 chunks away etc.

Gerbster
07-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Once I can get my hands on the latest gate list, we can define the center easily enough - just expanding it to include a decent amount of gates.

rustyshakelford2
07-07-2011, 05:51 PM
As for spawn, the plan for a newspawn (scouting for an appropriate site began February) was always to have it well-away from dense development, the reason being that people can get lag by virtue of being near so much of it. It stems from lighting and rendering issues. Remember: There's a lot of artificially hollowed-out space in, around, and underneath RPS Nova. The client renders and lights EVERYTHING around a player, regardless if they can see it or not. Having newspawn like 20 tiles away from oldspawn in the middle of RPS Nova defeats the whole purpose of having a newspawn in the first place. Having the market as the gate to RPS Nova is a good idea as my oldspawn hut is and always was shit (I didn't build it for looks, I built it for OMG CREEPERS RUN! since at the time we hadn't mob-proofed yet) so I won't be missing it. We had planned on Noob Castle being the permanent spawn location like we had it on the M3 map, but that was before we realized the lag issue.

I hope people find all this acceptable. Further input?

Doesn't forcing players to pass through RPSNova via the market cancel out the whole no lag idea? I do agree that the market is a nice entrance, but having to travel through it to get to somewhere else seems counterproductive.

Once I can get my hands on the latest gate list, we can define the center easily enough - just expanding it to include a decent amount of gates.

So does this mean that we will have a central network for the gates near Nova?

DRoseDARs
07-07-2011, 09:01 PM
As I currently understand things:
Central Network (non-physical) connects to=
---Spawn (1 gate at location), Central Substation (4 gates at location), NSEW Substations (4 gates at each location)
Central Substation (physical location)=
---1 Central Network gate; 3 Alphabet gates leading to: RPS Nova, Public Mine, whomever has a public gate
NSEW Substations (physical locations)=
---1 Central Network gate; 3 alphabet gates leading to: Whomever has a public gate

In the above setup, from Spawn you can get to all 4 cardinal substations plus the central one. I am uncertain about the location for the Central Substation. Perhaps a modest remodel at Spawn to combine both and have 4 gates there instead of just the one? I think that would work just fine, perhaps hollow out a small room behind the current one way gate to make a 4 gate room.

Bah, lunch break just ended.

Comrade Commissar
07-07-2011, 10:11 PM
I could modify the market to fit 4 gates.
Would be disappointed if it wouldn't serve any purpose at all...

Gerbster
07-07-2011, 11:26 PM
My beloved cat Delly died today in my arms of a heart attack.
I am seeking donations of wool, particularly black and the 2 greys, so that I can build an epic memorial to my beautiful baby.

rustyshakelford2
08-07-2011, 12:44 AM
My beloved cat Delly died today in my arms of a heart attack.
I am seeking donations of wool, particularly black and the 2 greys, so that I can build an epic memorial to my beautiful baby.

So sorry to hear that gerb. I came home from school to a frozen house and a dead cat this past winter, i know how tough it can be. Next time I see you ingame, I will gladly give you whatever wool/dyes I have.

DRoseDARs
08-07-2011, 01:28 AM
Miserable tales love company. My Samantha "The Bearded Lady" got very ill due to an infection and disappeared for a few days as sick outdoor kitties do. She came back mid-week weak as fuck, could barely stand. I spent the whole night petting her, feeding her water via eyedropper (too weak to even lift her head) and this went on until sunrise the next morning when my stepdad got up and could take over, allowing me to get some sleep. He left for work, mom took over, and not 3 hours after I went off-duty my mom woke me up so we could take Sam to the vet, though I had to leave for an 11am class almost as soon as we got to the vet. Her heart stopped and she passed while I was driving to campus, got the call in class. 2 classmates stepped out of the room to console me, and lord did I need that.

I know the devastating pain of losing your little furball. Sam was with me for literally half my life at that point and was the first and only pet I've had. My parents both had pets before and this was exactly why they didn't want Sam in the first place, but it isn't like they had a choice in the matter. Sam was a stray and she chose us, end of story. Cats are awesome like that: Treat them right and they'll let you have the honor of being their slave. Treat them wrong, they will fuck you up and make you wear a smile while they do it.

I'll hook you up with whatever I have left over from my pixel art project, and I'll punch some mobs for you too.

bisquack
08-07-2011, 01:41 AM
Miss the game dearly. Have had an idea for a megaproject that I started on M3's server but never got to finish.

Unfortunately, I updated game :(

DRoseDARs
08-07-2011, 01:48 AM
Hey bis, I posted a link to b1.6.6 back on the 3rd as Deschain had a similar problem.

bisquack
08-07-2011, 01:57 AM
Disappointed in you people. My awful megashit tree is still standing there, scaffolding and all.

And spawn has moved. WELL THIS IS INTERESTING.

DRoseDARs
08-07-2011, 02:01 AM
You said you were going to take it down, duckface. :P

DRoseDARs
08-07-2011, 02:39 AM
Epic build is epic: http://bit.ly/neV1Xs

Penn Station recreation, though they used flyhacks and item/give a lot. Still, wow. Nicely done.

DRoseDARs
08-07-2011, 05:07 AM
For dighappy:
This isn't the video I watched, but does show the piston dup machine glitch http://bit.ly/p46AZh

TwinklinPixi3
08-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Gerb - I have quite a bit of wool I can donate for you :)

Robert Swan
08-07-2011, 04:22 PM
For anyone who is interested in an early tech demo of my game - then I've put up a thread here begging for people to let me know if it runs on their PC!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?660-Micro-Adventures-an-early-demo-of-my-indie-game.

I'd love it if you all tried it. Beg, grovel, grovel etc

The JG Man
08-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Fellow Minecraftians - I am looking for a half/stack of pine/oak/dark saplings. If you have and are willing to trade, please let me know and we can discuss matters for an exchange! I have plenty of wheat. Do you like wheat and have those saplings? Then we have a deal! Thank you.

Comrade Commissar
08-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Dark wood = pine. Drop the oak. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak

The JG Man
08-07-2011, 05:04 PM
I know, but other people call it that too. I want to make it really apparent just how much I want these saplings :P

El Stevo
08-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Just to let you all know, I won't be updating until Bukkit has updated for 1.7.3, and it's clear that 1.7.3 is stable and relatively bug-free.

DRoseDARs
09-07-2011, 07:08 AM
Ok, so both the North Hub and South Hub have been revamped into 4-gate setups. Dead simple to find your gates from there: What's the first letter of your gatename, then pick the appropriate gate (grouped by alphabet) at that cardinal hub. East Hub and West Hub will be done later (N and S had most gates, am tired of gates for one night) and Spawn/Central Hub will be worked out later as well.

TwinklinPixi3
09-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Phy just came up with a good idea :p Said you should create or have 1 big portal place called Grand Portal Station :) Then, if anyone ever needs to go anywhere they go and use GPS :)

rustyshakelford2
09-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Phy just came up with a good idea :p Said you should create or have 1 big portal place called Grand Portal Station :) Then, if anyone ever needs to go anywhere they go and use GPS :)

Sounds kind of like the nexus. Once the new gate layouts are completed, we should definitely construct a larger version of it.

Gerbster
09-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Not sure we can have two networks linking to the same gate. I *think* it might be possible if each gate at the nexus was fixed, like how at new spawn now we have the active portal that leads to the market, but isn't selectable from the list.
Would be an absolutely epic sight with around 80 portals, all begging to be explored!

Comrade Commissar
09-07-2011, 03:19 PM
That sounds enourmously epic. I'd like to have such a gran portal station. We could make a nice collective project out of this. :D

Gerbster
09-07-2011, 05:37 PM
First things first - sort out th ecurrent portals.
I think everyone is happy with the market being the central hub location, so weed, take a look at north and south to see how we laid out the portals, and start sorting out space for 'em. As this is a server project we can supply the obsidian. Hold off on actually destroying any of the gates, obviously!

Comrade Commissar
10-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Alright.
I'll do it tonight, as I'll be leaving for Poland tomorrow.

El Stevo
10-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Still no recommended release of Bukkit for 1.7.3. It's not looking good for the update happening this weekend. :(

Ripht
11-07-2011, 06:36 PM
hey guys whats up. Been busy for the past couple of weeks hopefully i'll be on some time this week to build a huge farm that will crash the server with lag. Cya soon =D

rustyshakelford2
11-07-2011, 09:32 PM
New Maps:

Flat World: http://db.tt/YC9bX23
Oblique World: http://db.tt/WntFneK

Does anyone actually use the nether maps?

kagebe
12-07-2011, 05:04 PM
I had need of one the other day and tried to render one quickly using one or two tools. Got none of them to work fast enough so I just did without.
Is there one? I can't find a link in the maps document.

Edit: I'd also be very happy with a new gate map. Being new to the server I often explore and it's hard to judge the relative positions of the newer gates not on the January map. Maybe I'll make one later/tomorrow.

Gerbster
13-07-2011, 02:50 AM
I can do a new gate map when I can hassle Eltagno to give me the latest gate file. I will update the program as soon as I have the latest info. I've been itching to update my program but without up to date gate info (particularly since we changed the hubs in the last few days!) it doesn't make much sense.

However, kagebe, there's a semi-up-to-date one in one of my posts several pages back. Might be a bit annoying to go through the pages to find it, but it should be what you need.

DRoseDARs
13-07-2011, 03:24 AM
I can get you those files right now Gerb, Normal and Nether.

kagebe
13-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks Gerbster, that's much better.
What I gather from you posts, is that you have some program written to help you with mapping those gates?
I had a quick look at the PixelMap source, to see whether I could detect obsidian gates with signs simply by matching the pattern and such and build it into the output image. But if you already have a solution and it uses the gate files, I won't bother. :)

Gerbster
13-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Drose originally had a method to make locating gates easier - he placed clay blocks underneath them (which I dug up when we replaced the gate set-up!).

And yes, I have a program - all it does is take the gate list file, a map image, and then combines them. I will update it to do so in an easier to read manner today if I get the change (hopefully yes).

Also many thanks for the wool donations - I have finished my image of Delly and will tidy it up and likely put in a local gate. Failing that, it will definitely show up in the next map. Robert also made a memorial garden for her, located at the southern end of the main bridge at Shrewbil, for the cat lovers amongst you who wish to visit and pay their respects.

Gerbster
13-07-2011, 11:03 PM
My pixel art tribute to Delly is now complete.

To view it, go to the South Hub, then choose Mammalia on the second south portal.
From there go past the arch to the local Mammalia network gate, and choose 'Delly'.

There are two viewing platforms depending on whether the skies are clear or not.

The JG Man
14-07-2011, 01:08 AM
I may have accidentally updated the game. I may then have tried sorting it out and failed miserably. It's possible that I'm now asking if someone would kindly provide their .bin folder to me so that I could probably play it again. Feel free to PM me if it's a dropbox or private link/e-mail address send/whatever...maybe.

(Ps. I'm an idiot.)

Jonbas
14-07-2011, 06:07 AM
Could this be the future of minecraft? http://www.kinecthacks.com/kinect-game-mimicry/

DRoseDARs
14-07-2011, 06:19 AM
I may have accidentally updated the game. I may then have tried sorting it out and failed miserably. It's possible that I'm now asking if someone would kindly provide their .bin folder to me so that I could probably play it again. Feel free to PM me if it's a dropbox or private link/e-mail address send/whatever...maybe.

(Ps. I'm an idiot.)

Me, responding to Deschain, page 6, Bit.ly link, beta1.6.6, de nada.

Anyway, I won't be on tonight. Mom is streaming that Big Brother garbage and stepdad is downloading 3 gigglebytes of data from work. I'm screwed for bandwidth.

DRoseDARs
14-07-2011, 06:20 AM
Could this be the future of minecraft? http://www.kinecthacks.com/kinect-game-mimicry/

Oh the griefing potential!

:D

D:

The JG Man
14-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Me, responding to Deschain, page 6, Bit.ly link, beta1.6.6, de nada.

I've just gone through the entire thread several times and can't find what you're referring to.

Jorvikan
14-07-2011, 01:12 PM
http://bit.ly/mmQRF4

Post 226. On page 6, where he said it was haha.

kagebe
14-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Post 226. On page 6, where he said it was haha.

Actually page 12 with the default board settings. ;)

The JG Man
14-07-2011, 01:23 PM
That's page 12 for me. I did a ctrl+f on his name to try and find it, but must've skipped that one by accident. Nevermind!

Thanks!

Jorvikan
14-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Oh I forgot I changed that setting, 10ppp is way too small haha.

Gerbster
14-07-2011, 05:43 PM
The Mammalia Tourism and Lottery Board has recently announced a Mega-Lottery, scheduled to take place on August the 1st.
Prizes will go to 3rd place, and the prize total will be an unprecedented amount!

To enter, just place your name on a sign on the Guest Arch in Shrewbil.

Directions to Shrewbil:

- Choose 'South' on any of the main network gates.
- Choose 'Mammalia' on the South Hub #2 gate (2 clicks).
- Turn right coming out of the portal office. The Arch is immediately in front of you (with orange colouring).

DarkTAO
14-07-2011, 11:01 PM
I'd like to inform everyone of a murder.. Squiddy was killed today while I slept. This injustice can not stand!!!! The perpetrator of this crime will be hunted down and slain with FIAH!

That is all.

kagebe
14-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Frightened shopkeepers of East Sub report an explosion and the sighting of a dreadfully large and hideous squid near the summoner's tower to their west. The summoner or his apprentices could not be found for comment but may be trapped within. Locals say that the summoner recently promised to pay his debts very soon and often sought books on the nether daemons of gold and diamond. In an interview the butcher of East Sub already looks to the future however: "I say good riddance to that old maniac hedgewizard! Look at the meat on that creature - Let's gather a hunting party and get those tentacles to my boys' slaughter blocks."

rustyshakelford2
15-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Speaking of east sub, why is iron not included in the gold/diamond exchange? Also, the general store no longer sells grass blocks. :(

Gerbster
15-07-2011, 12:14 AM
If you need a hand accelerating grass growth, give me a shout when you see me online.

The JG Man
15-07-2011, 03:31 AM
Creeping Pines Valley is now open for business. There are a variety of paths that work their way through the upper and lower valley and a network of signs to point you in the right location. Ignore, for the moment anyhow, notes about 'Hill Top Bridge'. That is a large construction process that will certainly take some time and will occur in stages, of one inn on each side of the valley on the cliff-tops and finally a bridge that will span the width of the valley joining up these inns. In the mean time, there will be a few standard trees to replace with more pines.

You can access to Creeping Pines Valley by using South Sub (2) portal to JG's House, which I may work on slightly so as to give quicker access to the surface without you necessarily having to go through a greenhouse.

Gerbster
15-07-2011, 05:15 AM
I've done a new gate map. I've removed a few of the obviously private / personal gate networks, but if anyone wants theirs removed let me know and I'll add it to the list.

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?2x833lybnntb7l4

I didn't have time to sort out the program to put the gate info in different orientations, so we are still in the position where there's a lot of overlaps (particularly at the hubs now!), but it should keep you all going for a while.

Slyphee
15-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Could I request access to the RPS MC servers? I'm newish here but thought I'd give requesting access a try. My MC name is Slyphee

JellyfishGreen
15-07-2011, 12:11 PM
I've done a new gate map. It's awesome. And quite compact filesize, relatively speaking.

Gerbster
15-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Yeah but the detail in the terrain isn't as high as in Rusty's originals.

Also, I would like to put up signs marking who has helped me lately in my projects. As far as I remember, the people are:

SOUTH ROAD (workers):
- Me
- JellyfishGreen
- DigHappyPrimate
SOUTH ROAD (donators):
- Drose
- ??? (I know 2 more people did help but can't remember who)

DELLY DEDICATION (donators):
- Drose
- TwinklinPixie
- ??? (Again 2 more people but can't remember :( )

If you don't see your name here but did help, let me know!

Robert Swan
15-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Hi guys, because I love you all and because I need help I have come here...

My multiplayer game demo requires some stress testing over the next few days, so if you can help I'd be grateful. To help you'll need:

a PC that can run the singleplayer demo reasonably (linked from here - http://bit.ly/pllgLr)
a decent internet connection wherever you are in the world
A way of connecting to the #irc channel (server = irc.esper.net, channel = #uRPSGeneral, password = drowssap)
Patience!

Testing would take anything from 30 minutes upwards, depending on how well it goes. It could go horribly wrong so it's best to have very low expectations.

I'll try to hang around the IRC channel for any questions, and once I have a concrete time this weekend I'll post on here with as much advance notice as possible.

Cheers!
Rob

rustyshakelford2
15-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Nice work rob, built myself a nice little house. I'll definitely help out with the testing if the times work.

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/7397/sgame.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/sgame.jpg/)

DarkTAO
16-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Yeah but the detail in the terrain isn't as high as in Rusty's originals.

Also, I would like to put up signs marking who has helped me lately in my projects. As far as I remember, the people are:

SOUTH ROAD (workers):
- Me
- JellyfishGreen
- DigHappyPrimate
SOUTH ROAD (donators):
- Drose
- ??? (I know 2 more people did help but can't remember who)

DELLY DEDICATION (donators):
- Drose
- TwinklinPixie
- ??? (Again 2 more people but can't remember :( )

If you don't see your name here but did help, let me know!

don't forget me :)

Jonbas
16-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Okay, this is completely off topic but I still wanted to share. I keep glass boxes full of water as another hobby and a couple months ago I was scared to death by a rather large fish that I didn't know was still alive in the tank.

I've finally trained him to come out and I got a video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeKkhDXhKDk

So here you are, my own personal Loch Ness Monster.

rustyshakelford2
16-07-2011, 05:07 PM
@jonbas Very cool, almost makes me want to get fish again.

DRoseDARs
16-07-2011, 07:39 PM
We'll see if we can get you (re)started with a squid today, rusty... ;)

TwinklinPixi3
16-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Fantastic Jonbas :) Enjoyed looking at that :)

DRoseDARs
17-07-2011, 05:12 AM
Well, I was able to put 2 squids back in Dark's aquarium, but again I failed at Rusty's place (tried in the cube, in the pool on the floor above, and outside like last night). I went out into the icy waters next to re2's worldtree and was able to spawn a squid, so I don't understand what it is about your place Rusty. :-/

rustyshakelford2
17-07-2011, 06:22 AM
Well, I was able to put 2 squids back in Dark's aquarium, but again I failed at Rusty's place (tried in the cube, in the pool on the floor above, and outside like last night). I went out into the icy waters next to re2's worldtree and was able to spawn a squid, so I don't understand what it is about your place Rusty. :-/

I guess my house is just special :) Maby i'll construct some sort of temporary ugly waterslide thingy and force one into the tank from a place where you can spawn them. What about using mob spawners? I think i read somewhere that you can make them spawn squid.

Gerbster
17-07-2011, 07:32 AM
I updated my gate program tonight to handle different locations for the info, so hopefully it won't be so overwritten (although I think I missed west hub...).

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=hnt8jha5bn545m4

One thing I did discover which I'm not happy about is the NESW 'hub' in the extreme south east of the map. People should not be building their own quick-routes to the main hubs - it defeats the point of the setup if, for example, there's gates linked to the north hub that are actually in the south of the map. I'm going to go check these spots out, and if admin agrees, sort them out. By which I likely mean remove them if they link to the wrong hub.

DRoseDARs
17-07-2011, 09:57 AM
The Nexus was set up (by me if memory serves) several months ago, fairly paid for. Owners are the residents of Waterworks. They wanted to bypass the Central Network since at the time they had to pass through RPS Nova to get anywhere. Several of them had pretty bad lag issues in town, coupled with their desire to be mostly separated from the rest of the server, hence the alternate route. Has been handy for when the North Hub has its stupid little fits; I even put signs there directing peps to use the Nexus if the North Gate happened to be down again.

Meh, leave it. Not harming anything and can continue to serve as a backup for the Central Network.

El Stevo
17-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Where is your squid pond, Rusty?

Robert Swan
17-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Hi guys, because I love you all and because I need help I have come here...

My multiplayer game demo requires some stress testing over the next few days, so if you can help I'd be grateful. To help you'll need:

a PC that can run the singleplayer demo reasonably (linked from here - http://bit.ly/pllgLr)
a decent internet connection wherever you are in the world
A way of connecting to the #irc channel (server = irc.esper.net, channel = #uRPSGeneral, password = drowssap)

I'm at the stage where the multiplayer is pretty much working, so if you ever want to dip in for a quick test, come find me on IRC. You can now modify the world on the server too.

rustyshakelford2
17-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Where is your squid pond, Rusty?

The tank is on the bottom floor of my house, along the same wall as the obsidian storage room. There is a temporary pool on the floor above it that we made for testing.

Gerbster
17-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Meh, leave it. Not harming anything and can continue to serve as a backup for the Central Network.OK fairy nuff, but I really don't want to see it anywhere else in that case, and if memory serves me I did see a few that were just plainly misplaced. I haven't checked, but has market been updated to allow for the central hub yet or not? I'd very much like to wrap up the gate changes we started last week or so.

Gerbster
17-07-2011, 06:21 PM
I should point out that 'wishing to be mostly removed from the rest of the server' should not be a valid reason to abuse the hub set-up. We have private networks precisely for that reason. I'm not happy about the nexus stuff - really it should all be private, but I have my orders from above :)
What I'd like though is for us to not have a repeat of it - there's no need and it violates the point of what we are doing.

Comrade Commissar
17-07-2011, 09:25 PM
I am terribly sorry that I still didn't modify the market to fit all the gates. I've been abroad until today, because my cousin invited me to his flat in Poland as his flatmates were all at their parent's or on vacation. So I spontanously went to Gdansk and returned today. I'll make sure to modify the market in the next few days.

rustyshakelford2
18-07-2011, 03:55 AM
New maps:

Flat World: http://db.tt/yuc0XvI
Oblique World: http://db.tt/DGHjdki

Flat nether: http://db.tt/eQWOaXm
Oblique nether: http://db.tt/mq6nip7

and here is an underground map: http://db.tt/nWcjluI
I have doubts about its usefulness, but its certainly trippy.

El Stevo
19-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Update will probably happen on Sunday.

Comrade Commissar
19-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Nice, looking forward to it!

Edit:

I almost forgot, I need obsidian to build the portals at market. Seeing as it is a community project, I don't really want to use my own obsidian again.

DRoseDARs
20-07-2011, 03:26 AM
*le sigh*

Got new computer, updated the graphics drivers (integrated gpu, not a separate vidcard), client now goes crashy-crash every minute or so. Dontcha love how updates and upgrades aren't?

rustyshakelford2
21-07-2011, 01:16 AM
I'm getting all sorts of lag and disconnects. Hopefully things will clear up after the restart.

Update: It was a bit better after the restart, but it slowly got worse and is now unplayable.

Update 2:

http://www.lowbird.com/data/images/2011/06/memepics-rageguy-template-full.jpg

Comrade Commissar
21-07-2011, 09:52 PM
I added two more portals to the market, you can use that as the central hub now.
Sorry for the delay, but I was really busy.

Gerbster
21-07-2011, 11:48 PM
I took a look at the market Weed, and what you set up isn't going to work.
It needs to be 4 gates as at the other hubs (IE so they are consistant), with a 1 block gap between the diagonals. The gap isn't optional sadly, because as you have it now, the signs / buttons would be in the same block as each other :(

I don't mind supplying more obsidian, but unfortunately you are going to have expand the building a bit.

Jonbas
22-07-2011, 12:50 AM
Get a mod to help you remove all that obsidian quickly. It will save a lot of time and cursing.

Comrade Commissar
22-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Argh, I should have known that before.
I won't modify the building, as it would screw the whole space managment over.
I think I'll do this stuff underground.

Edit:

Forgot about the Hall of Fame I am building under the market.
So no underground portal hub, but rather the expansion of the building. I'll have to think about how to do it.

DRoseDARs
22-07-2011, 04:56 AM
Well since you're having computer issues and thus uncertain server time, I sent you a PM instead Gerb. :)

Gerbster
22-07-2011, 03:52 PM
OK PMs sorted (including an old one I'd not seen from Jonbas!).

I'm going to look at the gate map I did to start working out which spots should be on the central network.
I'll initially begin by basing it purely on distance from RPS Nova, to try to get a balance in comparision with the other hubs, but will also factor in things like isolation, road routes etc. Also, if any of you have portals nearish to the center and have a personal preference, I'm more than happy to listen to them.

The JG Man
22-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Getting a fair bit of lag on the server. Tried twice, been the only one on, then checked my connection. Both times, my speed wasn't as fast as its best, but well above necessary (4 and 6.5mbs respectively). Something up?

Comrade Commissar
22-07-2011, 08:26 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/wingzero23932/lag-41199.jpg

Got really laggy recently...

rustyshakelford2
22-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Server lag leads to some rather interesting lighting. Yes, the map is stuck like that. Perhaps its time for an angry email to HGS.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/1537/20110722173611.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/20110722173611.png/)

The JG Man
22-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Is that a lightsaber?

rustyshakelford2
22-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Is that a lightsaber?
Nah, Mixcraft HD just makes the diamond sword look kinda like one. That would be an interesting mod though.

Comrade Commissar
23-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Rusty, I got the same issues for ages now.
You can only get rid of this weird lighting by restarting Minecraft... Relogging doesnt work.
That makes me believe its actually a bug.

Jonbas
23-07-2011, 06:19 AM
Is anyone else having lag trouble?

DRoseDARs
23-07-2011, 06:36 AM
Not as severe as I think others were getting, but I was on a little earlier this evening and was noticing some lag.

DRoseDARs
24-07-2011, 06:18 AM
Elt, I was attempting to rework the gate at Spawn as part of the Central Hub redesign, but spawn protect prevented me. Could you see if you can get it to behave please? :)

Gerb, the Central Hub is in the room above the Market gate. They should be all ready for you to reassign nearby gates to that hub. Should be limited in distance to something like 500 from 0,0 as to avoid taking too many from the cardinal hubs. Should leave signs at those gates to let owners know where they connect to now.

El Stevo
24-07-2011, 10:38 AM
DRose, you just need to temporarily move spawn.

DarkTAO
24-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Any word on when we are going to 1.7.3?

El Stevo
24-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Sorry, I was really busy all weekend. I'll try to do it during the week if I get time.

DRoseDARs
24-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Ok, I succeeded with the gate, but spawn protect is no longer covering the large area it should. Always something. ;)

KirbyS
25-07-2011, 12:18 AM
I can't find the download of 1.6 :P
Does anyone have the link?

KirbyS
25-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Nevermind, I found it :)

KirbyS
25-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Money is nipples!

The JG Man
25-07-2011, 12:58 AM
You mean Jenniples?

rustyshakelford2
25-07-2011, 03:39 AM
New maps:

Flat World: http://db.tt/Yc6od8f
Oblique World: http://db.tt/N8GtTJ4

Flat nether: http://db.tt/69uK7Jo
Oblique nether: http://db.tt/Npdq0im

I can't wait to see what ridiculous things you guys create when we get pistons.

The JG Man
25-07-2011, 04:14 AM
Someone needs to make a giant piston made up of smaller pistons.

Comrade Commissar
26-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Looks interesting, I'd say:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/410821-nematte-panel-the-future-of-minecraft-servers/page__p__5726026#entry5726026

Server wrapper for Minecraft.

Gerbster
26-07-2011, 01:45 AM
Someone needs to make a giant piston made up of smaller pistons.
What I don't get about pistons is that if they push what, 12 blocks, why do they only pull 1? It's a real crippling of functionality. No piston lifts for you :(

The JG Man
28-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Anyone seen the pics of the new mobs?

They can move blocks. And now they're officially called 'Endermen', these tall all black figures with long arms and legs.

Oh, and did I mention they move blocks. THE END IS NIGH!

(Also, hope everything fun is going on. I'll come back after the BF3 Alpha, what with having a valley to finish off)

DRoseDARs
29-07-2011, 12:54 AM
I saw that and my first thought was, "No. Just... no." I wonder what their rules will be; this could be bad for a builders' server like ours. Mobs can be disabled through plugins, but we are loathe to do it. Endermans might get to be the first if they misbehave sufficiently (I'm sure there'll be blocks they can't touch like Ghasts and cobblestone, but we'll see). Creepers are one thing and it's essentially the player's fault when they damage things, but mobs moving blocks on their own? Urg.

KirbyS
29-07-2011, 02:54 AM
As of 1.8...... there will be griefers that can't be banned...... *shudders*

The JG Man
29-07-2011, 04:10 AM
Maybe Endermen are scared of light and won't go anywhere near it, let alone not spawn in? Certainly amps up the survival...and horror aspects though.

I feel there should've been a shades and YEAHHHHHH there Kirby!

Gerbster
29-07-2011, 05:56 AM
Thing is, I leave several areas of mine dark for aesthetic reasons. I certainly don't want to come back and find them screwed.
Every morning we'll have to go and check what the bastards moved while we were busy mining at night.

I feel Notch is not so much expanding minecraft as changing it. He's bored of the building thing, even though it's what made the game such a huge success. The adventure update already contains a list of things I think need to be veeeeeeery carefully done or they'll be massively detrimental to the game, and now a mob that likely fucks up scenery and buildings? Oh dear...

Anyway, even if it is bad to begin with, I'm sure he'll fix it within, say, a year or so.

Possibly.

kagebe
29-07-2011, 08:41 AM
There'll be a mod around much earlier to fix everything you want to be fixed. I read some comment saying that the mods will be the future of Minecraft and I agree. Notch&Team won't ever be able to meet all player demands, there's just too much potential in Minecraft. So they should make whatever game they want to make out of it - the community will find ways to remodel it to their tastes.

Xerian
30-07-2011, 01:50 PM
There'll be a mod around much earlier to fix everything you want to be fixed. I read some comment saying that the mods will be the future of Minecraft and I agree. Notch&Team won't ever be able to meet all player demands, there's just too much potential in Minecraft. So they should make whatever game they want to make out of it - the community will find ways to remodel it to their tastes.
The future? More like the present. Theres a LOAD of mods making the game playable, without any mods its actually just rather crappy in the end... So I'd say that mods make the game, in this case.

Xerian
30-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Also; Why is our currency not Jenniples? I demand my invention be implemented immediately!

Gerbster
30-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Remember the different values though.

2 jenniples = 1 jennifer (or, 1 aniston?)
how many jennifers/anistons = 1 Jolie? ;)

The JG Man
30-07-2011, 04:12 PM
I don't think any amount of Anistons can meet a Jolie, and I'm not even a Jolie fan.

Xerian
30-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Jolie? Screw that, I'd prefer the younger one, that there megan one. (Actually, in all honesty, I think Jolie is... Ugly... Is there something wrong with me? :I)
Nevertheless; IMPLEMENT MAH INVENTION
Mkay? ;)

El Stevo
30-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Server's going down while I update.

El Stevo
30-07-2011, 11:07 PM
She's back up. Pistons, baby.

Gerbster
31-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Agree about the Jolie comments, but it's more to do with the whole she stole Brad Pitt thing :)
I read too much gossip 'news' :(

rustyshakelford2
31-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Oh mighty Eltagno, keeper of the server related knowledge, I humbly ask for your assistance. I want to set up a whitelisting system just like this one on my server. How would I go about doing that?

DRoseDARs
01-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Elt's gone to bed for the night, but my quick answer is peruse the Bukkit forums. Pretty much all the plugins we've ever used (post-hMod and a few custom ones done by uRPS players) come from there. Most modders there provide clear instructions on how to set up and use their plugins inside Bukkit.

El Stevo
01-08-2011, 05:18 PM
That's done through a permissions plugin. We currently use Permissions 3 (http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/admn-dev-permissions-3-1-6-the-plugin-of-tomorrow-935.18430/), but that might eventually become obsolete because Bukkit now has a built in permissions system (linky (http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/permissions-faq.25080/)).

rustyshakelford2
01-08-2011, 06:15 PM
That's done through a permissions plugin. We currently use Permissions 3 (http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/admn-dev-permissions-3-1-6-the-plugin-of-tomorrow-935.18430/), but that might eventually become obsolete because Bukkit now has a built in permissions system (linky (http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/permissions-faq.25080/)).

I'm also using permissions 3. I completely missed the fact that in game commands for changing a user's group were added. Hooray for actually reading the documentation!

The JG Man
01-08-2011, 06:35 PM
One of the two inns that will straddle (hehe) my bridge is complete. Major thanks to dotBrain for some brilliant interior (and a little exterior) decorations. Please feel free to give it a visit.

Also, if a mod happens to be going past there, can you see if anywhere within that structure is naturally allowing mobs to spawn? We were testing it out and when the doors to the inn guest rooms were closed, it was fine, but when they were open, we were attacked at night. The entire structure is sealed with numerous doors and stone, so I'm not too sure how they could be getting in. Thanks in advance!

DRoseDARs
01-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Check your interior light levels. Hostiles spawn on blocks with light level 7 or less. It only takes one...

The JG Man
01-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Interior is fine. There are numerous lines all over the inn structure, including the stairs, observation point and tavern, not to mention the main inn section itself.

El Stevo
01-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Do you have double doors?

The JG Man
01-08-2011, 09:09 PM
The observation deck, bridge entrance for the main inn and valley entrance to the inn use double doors. Like all the other doors, they're closed immediately after use.

El Stevo
01-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Does the room with beds have double doors?

The JG Man
01-08-2011, 11:08 PM
No, single only. I don't see how that would make a difference though?

rustyshakelford2
02-08-2011, 03:44 AM
New maps are here

Flat World: http://db.tt/iKMVGv8

Oblique World: http://db.tt/WYnAQ9o

DRoseDARs
02-08-2011, 07:06 AM
Hmm, well this is annoying. Me and Gerb were looking at his piston creation, then a wild Dis appeared. Talked for a bit, but server suddenly lagged out bad. Can't log in atm, gonna try again after coming restart.

(Uncertain if it's safe to use the HGS control panel to force a restart; not given a greenlight from eltagno)

Edit: And now it seems to be back.

Gerbster
02-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Indeed, as I found out yesterday almost to my horror.
I opened up the redstone for my lava bridge to show drose - very small area, full of redstone and torches, pistons etc, all with a roof of lava just waiting to pour down. And... a bloody creeper was waiting for us. I damn near shat myself in the panic to get away, but Drose dealt with him like the cool customer he is :)

[EDIT] Didn't realise we were on page 20 - so this is meant to reply to the creeper stuff from the previous page...

DRoseDARs
02-08-2011, 09:19 PM
You can adjust the number of posts per page in your account settings. Page 10 for me. ;)

Smashbox
03-08-2011, 02:06 AM
Hey gang - I was poking around in your impressive world today (that sounds creepy) and would love to mine & build with you all.

Any chance you'd let me join in? My Minecraft name is Smashbox360

El Stevo
03-08-2011, 06:33 PM
You are whitelisted. Welcome to the server.

Smashbox
03-08-2011, 07:14 PM
You are whitelisted. Welcome to the server.

Thanks! Can't wait to join you.

I noticed the pixel-art gallery in the game world... how was that done? Are those custom textures?

Smashbox
04-08-2011, 12:21 AM
Also, I was trying to familiarize myself with the world and was looking at Gerbster's gate map. I drew an overlay indicating connections from the main hubs... I may have missed a few, but someone might find this useful:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mv35gr1bm7wwhfs

Gerbster
04-08-2011, 03:41 AM
Pixel art generally uses wool of different colours.
If you are new to MC then you can find out about basically most things at www.minecraftwiki.net (http://www.minecraftwiki.net).
Of most interest are the recipes and block types :)

Gerbster
04-08-2011, 03:45 AM
@Drose, the map that Smashbox put up highlights the things that piss me off. Any chance I can get permission to properly locate both B&L and Mt Alopex? Both should be on the east hub, but they are south and west respectively which is ridonkulous :)

Gerbster
04-08-2011, 05:14 AM
Hey DigHappy, if you see this, I *almost* got the elevator working properly, except there's some timing issues which can result in the end pistons getting pushed. Will see what I can do with that ASAP cos it's reasonably cool :)

DRoseDARs
04-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Just noticed your post there Gerb. That's fine, go ahead. And thank you for that map Smash. It's slightly old as some of the gates I nerfed from the regular system, but otherwise useful to visually see what's going on.

The JG Man
04-08-2011, 10:07 AM
God damn, there's a lot of free space. I think my next project, whatever it may be, will be in one of those snowy regions. It also surprises me how big my valley is. The cities/towns look crazy though.

Smashbox
04-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Pixel art generally uses wool of different colours.

I didn't actually realize that a canvas would come with a random artwork, as I'd never bothered to make one. Quite cool :D

KirbyS
06-08-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm STARTING to Update the Portal Directory. It is VERY MUCH a WIP. As i post this, I only have the Market network complete.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1C4i3tNM0S9DMvW0GaRM_X8ZwGI8cBeKSrXScbU3tt3Y/edit?hl=en_US

Smashbox
06-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Hey gang- I logged on the other day but I wasnt able to place or break any blocks. Maybe my permissions are incorrect?

Gerbster
07-08-2011, 09:34 AM
I've mentioned it to Eltagno and Drose, hopefully they can shed some light on it.
Just in case by coincidence you were in a protected area, try moving a fair way away and digging / building again, and let us know how it goes.

El Stevo
07-08-2011, 10:38 AM
I changed one small thing. I'm not sure why it would make a difference, but you should try again.

BerZerK
07-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Player eltagno just added me to the whitelist. Time to get mah mining going on.

Gerbster
07-08-2011, 06:58 PM
/spawnmob BerZerK creeper 50

Welcome!

Smashbox
08-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Whatever you did seemed to work, I was able to begin my mine last night. Thanks!

rustyshakelford2
09-08-2011, 01:46 AM
So all the chests in my storage room are empty, and all my signs lost their text. Thats months of work down the drain. Can someone look into this?

DRoseDARs
09-08-2011, 03:39 AM
Minecraft.net just took a dump, so can't log on. And before anyone gets their hopes up, 1.8 comes after PAX and PAX is at the end of August. VERY unlikely we're seeing prep for 1.8 release.

Edit: Minecraft.net is back up.

DRoseDARs
09-08-2011, 04:44 AM
@ Rusty
Ok, so I'm looking around in your house and noticing some odd things. It isn't just your storage chest signs that've gone blank, there are others in the immediate vicinity. But, it looks highly localized, because there are other signs within the house that are just fine and texty. Ex: Your sign to the guest house is fine, but right next to that is a corridor with a blank sign. The squid tank sign is fine too.

Did a quick google search ("chunk error chests empty") and saw there's a thread about this over on the Bukkit forums. They're trying to identify the bug.

J.B.
09-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Hi guys, what's the deal with whitelisting at the moment? I know its been needing some wrangling. I've sorted a temp account (thanks to the Humble Bundle!) for my daughter and she wants to give her old man a hand with projects. Also a friend of mine and Alikchi's (SkinnyBonesJones) is still not able to build, he's an oldie who has returned and is consequently a sad panda as he can't do much.

Catch you on the server soon,

digital_pariah/JB

EDIT: My other daughter now has a temp account, so I'm looking to get both of them whitelisted now! Catch me ingame and I'll sort the usernames with whoever, cheers!

EDIT: NVM about the first daughter, I see she's on probation already, thank you.

El Stevo
09-08-2011, 05:35 PM
So all the chests in my storage room are empty, and all my signs lost their text. Thats months of work down the drain. Can someone look into this?
This is a known bug in vanilla Minecraft. Where abouts is your storage room? The one near spawn with the night club underneath? If I know the chunks I can try to revert them from a backup.

J.B.
09-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Cheers for the whitelisting action today El Stevo, good work =)

rustyshakelford2
09-08-2011, 11:44 PM
This is a known bug in vanilla Minecraft. Where abouts is your storage room? The one near spawn with the night club underneath? If I know the chunks I can try to revert them from a backup.

Yep, thats the one.

Gerbster
10-08-2011, 04:30 AM
Elt, skinnybonesjones still can't build. I tried my few permission things again but no joy. This is the second person I've not been able to help with the command as listed in the /help mods page - is it actually correct or is something else going on?

Gerbster
10-08-2011, 06:31 AM
I noted today that with the update, I can now no longer make shrubs (leaf blocks on top of fence posts). I have to say, this has really annoyed me - is there any way around this? A mod or summat? Cos it makes me a sad panda... :(

DRoseDARs
10-08-2011, 06:58 AM
I manually edited the file to get skinny in, but was previously not getting the cmd to work in-game for me either.

El Stevo
10-08-2011, 05:32 PM
With the current permissions plugin people can be in more than one group, but it seems it screws up if they are, so after you've added them to probation or whatever you need to remove them from the default group. The command is "/pr *name* <name> parents remove <remove> Default". And even then sometimes it seems to reset after you've changed the groups, so you might need to do it more than once...

And in the not too distant future we'll be moving to a new permissions plugins with all new commands to learn. *sigh*</remove></name>

El Stevo
10-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Yep, thats the one.
When was the last time you know of that your stuff was still there? So I can choose a suitable backup.

rustyshakelford2
10-08-2011, 07:09 PM
When was the last time you know of that your stuff was still there? So I can choose a suitable backup.

I havent been on much lately. A week ago maby?

DRoseDARs
10-08-2011, 08:40 PM
With the current permissions plugin people can be in more than one group, but it seems it screws up if they are, so after you've added them to probation or whatever you need to remove them from the default group. The command is "/pr *name* <name> parents remove <remove> Default". And even then sometimes it seems to reset after you've changed the groups, so you might need to do it more than once...

And in the not too distant future we'll be moving to a new permissions plugins with all new commands to learn. *sigh*</remove></name>

Same as it ever was... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1wg1DNHbNU

Nine
10-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Hi, this is 09

Please whitelist two of my friends:

tardain

stormofsilence

TwinklinPixi3
10-08-2011, 10:46 PM
So, anyone know who HollyKaia is? They've decided to build a massive house in Cathedral City by the Graveyard - didn't give any permission for that at all.

TwinklinPixi3
10-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Oh and it seems 'they' chopped down all my special Birch/spruce trees that I'd planted that were in the way too. Thanks for that.

TwinklinPixi3
10-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Just checking the building next to theirs too (my massive sandstone edged town hall) and there's a chunk of the wooden floor from upstairs removed too...

TwinklinPixi3
10-08-2011, 11:22 PM
Another update - they've chopped the bottom of my treehouse up - removed some of the stairs and put them back down so that they're not usable (as in not wrapped around the trunk (they took the bottom of the trunk)).... ffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

El Stevo
10-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Twink's stuff cleared up, tardain and stormofsilence whitelisted. I'm off to bed.

The JG Man
11-08-2011, 03:56 AM
Screw wolves. I tamed 4 and it took me AN HOUR to get from the border to my house because they cannot use bridges. I was going to tame more. Thank god I didn't.

Anyhow, the border that's...eastish of East Hub is has some really lovely terrain. And thanks to me a few Creeper related craters covered up neatly with some replanted trees. I found a suitably epic cave and saved the coords. If anyone wants to check it out, let me know. At one point, at the top of the cave near ground level, you can look down and see a lit up stream of water, clearly near lava. The cave is almost a vertical drop, with what seems to be a few winding corridor like paths going around it like a spiral. I didn't have the space or supplies to go and look further into it, but no doubt there's some valuable stuff down there. With what I could see, there was tons of iron and coal at least.

I've also decided my next project will be a floating isle with ruins on it. I was going to do it in a desert, but that would've basically required a sandy locale and I can't be bothered to dig up that much sand, so instead I'll go for a snowy tundra. The pines will fit in well! I won't start immediately as I have some hidden caverns to explore in my mine, but it's something I'll be thinking about now.

Alikchi
11-08-2011, 05:59 AM
Uploaded a quick Picasa album of screenshots from the server, enjoy.

https://picasaweb.google.com/alikchi/URPS2MinecraftServerAug2011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

They're with Frenden's, mostly.

dotBrain
11-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Uploaded a quick Picasa album of screenshots from the server, enjoy.

https://picasaweb.google.com/alikchi/URPS2MinecraftServerAug2011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

They're with Frenden's, mostly.Frenden's is the only pack for me so that's all good my side. :)

Lovely shots, thanks for the effort and sharing Ali!

J.B.
11-08-2011, 05:10 PM
So, anyone know who HollyKaia is? They've decided to build a massive house in Cathedral City by the Graveyard - didn't give any permission for that at all.

Hi Twink,

Holly's one of my daughters. I did tell her to ask around before building in any towns but clearly she didn't. Apologies for her messing stuff up, she plans to apologise profusely when/if she next sees you.

As for the floor in the sandstone building and the treehouse, apparently that was creeper damage, she couldn't remember how the steps went.

Let me know if anything needs replacing and I'll sort it.

Take care,

digital_pariah

J.B.
11-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Also, I like Frenden's but since I started using John Smith I can't seem to go back to Frenden, or default.

TwinklinPixi3
11-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks Digital_pariah - Kindly Elt fixed it all :)

It was just a shock more than anything - was offline for a little while and came back and lots had changed :)

Comrade Commissar
11-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Haha, I love the pictures, Alik!
Thanks for putting the market in. :D

Gerbster
11-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Oh and WB Twinklin, you were missed!
I say that as I vanish until Tuesday next week. Happy building, and YES I WILL SORT CENTRAL HUB :(
Sorry, my mind has been all over the place lately with one thing and another. Also, grand august raffle, will be spectacular I promise :)

J.B.
11-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks Digital_pariah - Kindly Elt fixed it all :)

It was just a shock more than anything - was offline for a little while and came back and lots had changed :)

Yeah, that Elt, he's a star =)

Welcome back, I was wondering where you'd gotten to as I'm recently back myself. I'm missing my "Abacus Bridge" from the temp server so I'm considering building a copy on the main server now.

See you on the server, have fun!

TwinklinPixi3
11-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Oh yeah I remember your amazing 'abacus bridge', was amazing :)

Hehe thanks Gerb and D_P :) Been Rifting it up ;p

Alikchi
12-08-2011, 04:37 AM
Today Digital_Pariah, The JG Man, Scallat, SkinnyBonesJones and I had an adventure!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/--odD8O1yQho/TkSRjMjbaII/AAAAAAAAAXM/UhirDEEhaDE/s1280/2011-08-11_18.19.10.png

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8od4jpiY6Xc/TkSRZ0FcxRI/AAAAAAAAAXI/WQIGtKr25q8/s1280/2011-08-11_18.22.07.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-n-XJ7PIsO1Q/TkSRC3U__HI/AAAAAAAAAW8/yNOqwYsjD5I/s1280/2011-08-11_18.36.04.png

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-CatIKhgPM-0/TkSQRfKWD6I/AAAAAAAAAWY/aswn2NaD2LM/s1280/2011-08-11_18.54.12.png

ScottJ10
12-08-2011, 05:56 AM
That lodge was a fun one to build. ^

El Stevo
12-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Does anyone know of a tool that allows you to restore specific chunks from backups? It's not as easy now that Minecraft uses the McRegion file format. I'm about to write a tool, but if one exists already that would be grand.

El Stevo
12-08-2011, 08:51 AM
J.B. / digital_pariah:

Did you read my private message? I have Holly's house that I had to remove in storage at Skullbread.

J.B.
12-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Heya Elt,

Sorry, I'd missed your message. Read and replied to. Thanks!

JB

The JG Man
12-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Has someone broken the server? I can't get on.

El Stevo
12-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Server's up.

I'm away for the weekend. Rusty, I'll have to sort out your chest problem when I get back. It's not so easy with the new file format.

ScottJ10
12-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Is repairing stuff still how it used to be? sell then rebuy?

dotBrain
12-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Server seems to be down again as of 1:26pm EST.

@Scott, nope! Looks like you hold the item you want to repair in your hand, make sure you have the right material in your inventory, then type "/repair" and voila!

ScottJ10
12-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks Brian!

dotBrain
12-08-2011, 06:35 PM
And it's back up. :)

rustyshakelford2
12-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Does anyone know of a tool that allows you to restore specific chunks from backups? It's not as easy now that Minecraft uses the McRegion file format. I'm about to write a tool, but if one exists already that would be grand.

Heres how i've done it in the past.
1. Load the backup in mcedit and export a schematic
2. Put the schematic in /Schematics in the server folder
3. Use world edit to //import and //paste
4. Paste it in the wrong spot, //undo and try again (repeat as needed)

J.B.
12-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Is repairing stuff still how it used to be? sell then rebuy?

@Scott, nope! Looks like you hold the item you want to repair in your hand, make sure you have the right material in your inventory, then type "/repair" and voila!

Also, /rep works. And if you would like to check what the repair will "cost" you can type /rep ? (make sure you remember the space between rep and the ? or it won't do a thing)

Helmets seem to be bugged, sometimes it wants 9 iron/leather/whatever to repair. In the main everything else seems to be reasonable.

Kodeen
13-08-2011, 05:12 PM
So just got my code for Minecraft (hooray for the 2for1 deal), and want to try out the RPS server. Who do I need to contact in order to get whitelisted?

Comrade Commissar
13-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Should be enough to post on this thread, asking for being whitelisted.
But seeing as Elt is away over the weekend and there was trouble with whitelisting made by mods, it could take a while.

DRoseDARs
13-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Folks, I just updated the original post. I've posted the server rules as well as a special notice about beta 1.8 coming in a few weeks. Nothing really new or unexpected in either, but good to have it typed up and publicly viewable. Read up, please. :)

DRoseDARs
13-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Kodeen, what is your Minecraft name?

Comrade Commissar
13-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Check this out, it's great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On-KKibDoD4

Kodeen
13-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Kodeen, what is your Minecraft name?

The same as here.

DRoseDARs
14-08-2011, 12:07 AM
You've been given probie status. Welcome to the server, be sure to read the server rules linked to in the first post of the thread. :)

DRoseDARs
14-08-2011, 12:18 AM
@MrWeed

I liked the part where everything.

Edit: Heh, just watched parts 2 and 3 and... there's no part 4 yet. :(

Kodeen
14-08-2011, 12:33 AM
You've been given probie status. Welcome to the server, be sure to read the server rules linked to in the first post of the thread. :)

Thanks! I'm already impressed with what I'm seeing, how long has the uRPS server been persistent? Does anyone ever use the official server (I couldn't connect when I tried)?

DRoseDARs
14-08-2011, 01:03 AM
The uRPS Minecraft community is roughly a year old. MtotheThird started up the original uRPS server sometime last Summer if memory serves. I myself joined as a total n00b mid-September last year. Sadly, that server died a week before the Halloween Update was released, and we've not heard from M3 since. We chased our tails for that week until Thurzday hosted a new map for us on a home computer once the Halloween update was released. Shortly after that, Jonbas set up a server with our current hosting service (beginning of November), moved the new map there and have remained ever since.

The 2 original official servers closed up a long time ago and the 3rd one I've not been to in ages, so don't know anything about that one.

The JG Man
14-08-2011, 01:25 AM
@ Mr. Weed

It's like directly out of our server! I'm definitely using the "Take it up a Notch" one.

Comrade Commissar
14-08-2011, 01:55 AM
Pooploser_69: "Ever heard of a.... *leans towards N00bly* Creepist?"
Fart Garfunkel: "They're called Creepers, bro."

I love that series.

Comrade Commissar
14-08-2011, 03:03 AM
This is the server I was telling you guys about.
Be sure to apply!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkGMuiMMmYg&feature=related

Comrade Commissar
14-08-2011, 05:02 AM
Techno Remix!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktZKKNMHtn8&feature=related

Comrade Commissar
14-08-2011, 02:50 PM
DRose?
Mind updating the FAQ?
It's not really up-to-date. ;)

Joefish_C
14-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Server is unbearably laggy at the moment, and it's not the fault of my connection.
Not been able to play properly for a few days even...
AND i died because of it earlier.

I know there's not much you guys can do, but i'm annoyed :(

Comrade Commissar
14-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Because people have been asking:
Here is my modified version of the "Nations at War" texture pack.
I tweaked door textures and the colour of several other blocks.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6568cslrrr3uc1u

Edit:

Almost forgot, you'll need the HD texture patcher in order to make this texture pack display correctly.
Simply run it once.

http://www.mediafire.com/?01ptbj06dejyic2

Edit 2:

Modified the pack a bit more.
Changes include:
- Rain being more blue.
- Windows being fully transparent.
- Creepy eyes on animals are removed.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1uw3xtn92ckfmx6

J.B.
15-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Loving that MC Noob Adventure Techno Remix. I just wish it was longer.

*Satiate*

Mollusc Infestation
15-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Hey there uRPS Minecraft folk,

After immersing myself in your server yesterday, i would love to be whitelisted so that i can join in the fun. My screen name is Octopoda. I promise to respect the rules and build beautiful things.

The JG Man
15-08-2011, 01:53 PM
I promise to respect the rules and build beautiful things.

Errr, guys, we might have a problem. Quick, deny'em!

Mollusc Infestation
15-08-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm also pretty good at constructing giant penises if you prefer.

The JG Man
15-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Ah, phew, it's okay guys. All's good.

Kodeen
15-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Wow, what a ridiculously addicting game! I had things to do yesterday, but instead I dug a hole in the ground and kinda started on my pyramid in my local map. I didn't even think I'd like the game, to be honest.

Comrade Commissar
15-08-2011, 04:46 PM
I can vouch for Octopoda, he's a decent guy.

Comrade Commissar
15-08-2011, 05:41 PM
New version of the modded "Nations at War" texture pack.

- Tweaked ladders
- Added a cooktop to furnaces
- removed a bad texture on wooden doors

http://www.mediafire.com/?atv7u7agxvc7mw2

Edit:

HD patcher you will need to run before running the texture pack the first time:
http://www.mediafire.com/?01ptbj06dejyic2

T4kuan
15-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Hey everyone, I'm T4kuan, some of you have seen me in game. I'm generally dying by way of creeper or some other such nonsense.

You guys can call me 'tak', I only use t4kuan so it has universal availability.

J.B.
16-08-2011, 01:52 AM
Yo Weed, I put down a double chest of goodies towards the Capture the Block Arena fund. I tried to set permissions for you to access the chest, I hope I got it right.

I also hope it's in the right place. Big square area on the water next to the Spleef Arena, right?

Also, hiya Octo, hiya Tak and hiya Kodeen. Welcome to the community =D

PS - That techno remix thing is now my ringtone, much to the annoyance of the kids: result!

Comrade Commissar
16-08-2011, 06:48 AM
Cheers, mate!
I appreciate your donations.

In case anyone was wondering, I posted an announcment in the Steam group yesterday.
Here it is.

Dear people of our server!

As of now, the construction of the Capture the Block arena has been halted.
We can't continue due to resource shortages, therefore we appreciate every donation.

Materials that are needed include:
- Smooth stone
- Fences
- Logs
- Red Wool
- Blue Wool
- Wooden stairs
- Lava buckets
- Pistons
- More smooth stone

A donation of any of those materials is very welcome! Help us finishing the CTB arena as soon as possible.

If you want to make a donation, contact "FabulousMrWeed" in game or simply leave the materials in one of the chests next to the CTB arena construction site.
It's located right next to the Spleef! arena.

Greetings,
MrWeed

Kodeen
16-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Also, hiya Octo, hiya Tak and hiya Kodeen. Welcome to the community =D

Thanks! I feel kinda bad about not having logged in since the initial time, but I've been busy with my local map.

Jorvikan
16-08-2011, 04:27 PM
So THATS what the weird square next to Bodington is!

Been wondering about that.

GentlemanCorpse
17-08-2011, 12:41 AM
Hello mentlegen!
I am a civalrous individual, and I am simply thrilled to have finally found this server! A call to ScottJ10, as you finally showed me where to go! I am in your debt!
Which, I am sad to say, I will not be paying back in sexual favors.
Sorry!
Anyway, I would be honored if I could be permitted to build on the server, as I love how creative this community has been with their constructions! Everything I have laid my semi-living eyes upon looks lovely! I would be glad to contribute to this wondrous community, so please, do let me know whether or not I can be accepted!

Without Wax,
GentlemanCorpse :D

ScottJ10
17-08-2011, 01:16 AM
< I can vouch for GentlemanCorpse! He's a delightful gent.

Comrade Commissar
17-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Hello mentlegen!
I am a civalrous individual, and I am simply thrilled to have finally found this server! A call to ScottJ10, as you finally showed me where to go! I am in your debt!
Sorry!
Anyway, I would be honored if I could be permitted to build on the server, as I love how creative this community has been with their constructions! Everything I have laid my semi-living eyes upon looks lovely! I would be glad to contribute to this wondrous community, so please, do let me know whether or not I can be accepted!

Without Wax,

I like you.
I'll vouch for you just because you wrote such a great application.

Comrade Commissar
17-08-2011, 03:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs

Just leaving this here for everyone who still doesn't know it.

dotBrain
17-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Hey folks! I put together a little gallery of images of stuff I've built in Minecraft and posted it on the site I run : Nitrobeard. Most of the stuff is on the uRPS server so I figured I'd share!

Just click the image or the link in the text to see the gallery. [ http://www.nitrobeard.com/home/2011/8/17/i-build-things-in-minecraft.html ]

KirbyS
18-08-2011, 12:54 AM
The Server's down :(

Gerbster
18-08-2011, 01:32 AM
Grrr yes, and it was going to be my hour of treat to myself for being a good boy and working most of the day.
Instead I shall have to clean the darned flat :(

DRoseDARs
18-08-2011, 02:58 AM
My attempt to force a restart failed. I see two possibilities: Elt or Jon stopped the server in order to tinker with it and just didn't post a warning in-thread first, or there's a problem with the server. I will wait until after the next scheduled restart. If it doesn't restart as normal, I'll try a stop/start on it instead. Generally not something we want to do unless it's for updating purposes, but if this is the server misbehaving not much choice.

Edit:
Ok, failed. It isn't responding at all to me. Going to have to wait until Jonbas or Eltagno can fiddle with it. :-/

Comrade Commissar
18-08-2011, 06:49 PM
I'll use the opportunity to publicly vote for a map restart after the adventure update.
I would love a fresh map with all the new stuff in it, because I'm afraid that we will miss out on A LOT if we don't start from scratch after it.

Just check out this picture of Notch showing us the rivers that will be included in the new game!
http://i.imgur.com/6MeBH.jpg
That landscape is magnificient!
Imagine how awesome it would be to have a new map with rivers, ocean biomes, islands in those oceans, mountain biomes and the new land generating that makes landscapes look so much cooler!

I know you guys have put quite some effort into the stuff on this server, but so did I. I'd say we could vote to let everyone bring over ONE of his buildings/towns, so that the damage isn't that big.
I'd also say that it should be possible to bring one's inventory with him/her to the new map.

I would be okay with that, as there is no way that I would want to miss out on all that great stuff that is coming with the adventure update.

What do you think?
I wouldn't want to start from complete scratch with no equipment at all, too. But I think bringing over one town and an inventory full of stuff should be a reasonable compromise.
Once again:
Imagine the landscapes you could build on!

Tell me what you think.

P.S.:
You could of course download the most recent version of our world and have it as a SP world to show off to friends or whatever.

The JG Man
18-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Woah, that river looks great. Also looks like some texture tinkering too.

As much as it would suck to lose what we've done so far, and I say that as a relative newcomer, I'd be all for a map reset. My only issue with that is, by saying we'll do one, how many people will still be enthuthiastic to play knowing their work will essentially be wiped? If there is a map to download though, that would be very cool. Nice to tinker with on failing internet days.

Keeping inventory seems fair aswell. To what extent though - with plugins, how will things be stacked? And so on and so forth. Essentially, I like the idea and I'm already forming in my head what things I will save. THINK OF ALL THE PINE!

Jorvikan
18-08-2011, 08:00 PM
I'd be up for a map reset, would be fun to build a town from scratch again.

KirbyS
18-08-2011, 08:12 PM
I've seen a multi-world plugin where you can have multiple worlds running on the same server, so maybe we have a 1.8 world, and a pre-1.8 world with all of our stuff on it.
EDIT: http://lpminecraft.com/forums/showwiki.php?title=Books:MultiVerse Here's stuff about it.

Gerbster
18-08-2011, 08:15 PM
I fail to see what an entirely new map brings in terms of building that you can't do now by just heading off into the wilderness.
I also think placing limits on what could or could not be brought over into the new map is ridiculous, you are presenting a false compromise. And to say it would be sad that you start with no inventory would be sad is, IMO, hypocritical as surely that is the point of starting again in a (slightly?) new game mode. Either you go the whole hog in wanting the new world, and play accordingly, or you don't.

Personallly I'm not in favour of a map reset, however, I do agree there would be things we miss. Possible solutions would be deleting large swathes of the map (basically the unused areas) to let the new code fill it in, or porting of areas. I for one might as well just give up on the server if I lose any of my work. Losing the inventory bothers me a great deal less than the areas I have spent many many hours on.

I also think large-scale wiping of other people's areas shows a distinct lack of respect to the work and people who made the server early on.

So, overall, what am I thinking?

I am not sure how easy it is to identify and remove unused or minimally used chunks, but am concerned it would leave us with a patch-work effect which gives us the best of neither the old nor the new.
Copying over of areas (and in this case personally I am thinking of the entirety of Mammalia, anything less makes it essentially pointless, but it still only represents around 6-7% of the entire map) is a possibility, and we could for example make early public and private projects include resculpting the landscape around where they merge to remove harsh chunk boundaries*.
Inventory copying over might as well, as if you bring the towns they'll certainly contain chests and I see no reason to again, deprive people of their spoils from many hours of game play.

* Suggestion! How about this? When the new update comes along, admin generates an entirely new map using the new system. This is available to download in SP, so people can scout it out. We then organise a 2D map of it, and people can vote / plead for what they want copied over, AND WHERE (important that!). Then in world edit / MC edit or whatever, we merge the files, followed by using sculpting tools in said program to blend edges, and shift it over to the main server map. That way we do indeed get the best of both worlds.

Gerbster
18-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Just to add, it would mean a certain delay before we update wholesale, but my other idea was we simply shift the current map 4 km in one direction, and allow an equal sized area for the new chunk generation. Problem? We now have 1.6gb of backup data :/ I think the currently 8x8km area is more than big enough to accomodate our old favourite locations in the new map, leaving plenty of the new adventure stuff available.

Xerian
18-08-2011, 08:23 PM
* Suggestion! How about this? When the new update comes along, admin generates an entirely new map using the new system. This is available to download in SP, so people can scout it out. We then organise a 2D map of it, and people can vote / plead for what they want copied over, AND WHERE (important that!). Then in world edit / MC edit or whatever, we merge the files, followed by using sculpting tools in said program to blend edges, and shift it over to the main server map. That way we do indeed get the best of both worlds.
That is, I agree, the best "solution" to this dilemma - I'd love to explore the entirely new stuff, but at the same time, I dont wanna lose my precious (albeit, retardedly ugly) builds.

Hello mentlegen!
Sorry!

Without Wax,
I'd vouch for you based on that genius application. You sir, are the coolest Gentleman-corpse... Gentle-zombie? I've ever met.

The JG Man
18-08-2011, 08:25 PM
I definitely think it requires a lot of fore-thought. There are issues with the ideas for and against, but I don't want to get into that because it's not really relevant based on the following: I support your suggestion. Keep the work people have done, if they want to, while getting the best of the new. I would be perfectly happy with this and am in full support of it.

Also, I'll bite. GentlemanCorpse's application is fantastic.

DRoseDARs
18-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Ugh, this had to pop up on my short lunch break... XD

I'm sorry but I'm vetoing starting a new map just for beta 1.8, unless Jonbas and Eltagno overrule me. The current thinking is perhaps after the game goes full retail, then it might be appropriate to start completely fresh (including inventory). As beta 1.8 is still... well... BETA, I do feel it would be inappropriate right now given the usual history of updates sometimes being disasterific.

Jonbas had floated the idea of nerfing unused chunks and regen'ing them a while back, but he didn't elaborate. He may have had a means in mind to identify and do that. However, there's a reason you only see the Clocktower from the old MtotheThird uRPS map: It was going to be a lot of work to port things. I imagine there may be similar difficulties nerfing chunks without accidentally nerfing peoples' projs. I think extending the map borders is a viable option, though the edges between pre- and post-1.8 will be a bit screwy.

As for a separate server, that's additional money needed to host both, not to mention time to keep them both functioning and moderated. While selecting additional moderators wouldn't be too hard, is the community willing to step up donations (and no, pay-to-play is NOT something I'd be comfortable with)? Is there even the digital foot traffic to justify having two uRPS servers? I feel the answer to the first question is yes, but the second would be no. Moreover, I wouldn't want Jon and Elt in the position of having the additional hassle on the coding side of things.

There are a LOT of players who have work on the current map that have never posted in this or either of the earlier two uRPS threads, and I mean active players. Their voices wouldn't be heard in any kind of vote. That wouldn't fair to them. The fairest we can be is A) aiming for full retail reset, map and inventory, or B) expanding the existing map. I'm fine with either, but a new map just for beta 1.8 is not appropriate. We were forced into a new map for the Halloween Update because that server died and its admin vanished, else we'd possibly still be using that map even now. Thurzday started this map on his home computer to hold us over until something could be done (and it was in very short order, Jonbas got us hosted on an HGS server) using that update, so we just went with it.

I might have further thoughts later, but I need to get back to work.

Comrade Commissar
18-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Easy there, Gerb!
Don't take this as an insult to your building skills or the time you have invested to build Mammalia! I was just presenting an idea of mine, no need to judge so harsh and calling it madness. I am one of the members who have been building on this server from day one, when Thurzday started the new map. I am very associated with my buildings on this server, too, but I remember talking to DRose once and we came to the conlusion that startin all-over would be a generally good idea.

The solution you provided is not possible in my opinion, as scouting the map, porting bits of the map over to our current world and then smoothening the borders would be by far too much work. Also there is no way to ensure thet the copied bits are liked by everyone, as some people rather enjoy deserts, others prefer snowy areas. You also woudln't be able to import oceans and the islands, as it simply wouldn't fit our current world.

I'd much more prefer to copy over existing areas and the chests that are located in them. This is by far the best compromise I can think of. All the other ones can't be ensured to be liked by everyone.
Mammalia is, in my opinion, one of the things that are worth to be saved, but I don't think you wouldn't agree if I'd say that stuff like dicktowers, mud shacks or unfinished buildings by people who have left the server a long time ago are in need to be preserved for the future.

My suggestion still stands, but a bit tweaked now.
Let people import what they want, no matter how much. Give them 3 weeks to post what they want preserved. Let them keep their stuff in the chests and then.... BOOOM. New map. Old areas can be ported over, this will require a 1 week maintenance time. Everyone is happy and there is lots of new space. What's the problem with that?

Anyways, it was only a suggestion made by me, basically an experiment to see people's reactions on this. I disapprove of your reaction, Gerb. But I understand your points and I'm fine with it.
In the end, the admins make the decisions.

Also:
Notch just posted this on Twitter.
Proper continents with ocean biomes and islands off-shore!
How could one NOT like that?!
http://i.imgur.com/lCKwM.png

Gerbster
18-08-2011, 09:39 PM
OK to clarify my 'idea', I am referring to copying bits of THIS map into the NEW one, not the other way around.
As for disaproving of my response weed, I have to say your original post smacked of no real forethought. I'm fine with you posting what you'd like to do, but your 'compromises' weren't really. I would be very suprised if anyone has spent more time on this version of the server than myself, and I do hold my works *very* dear. With that in mind I will never be an advocate of a full map reset, and it would probably signal the end of my involvement with the server as a result. Hence, why I would look for a genuine compromise.

My *thoughts were a way of actually detailling how we might go about merging the two maps should it come to that - it is one thing to suggest it, but we need to know about the realities - IE how possible it is. For example I would imagine that biomes would go out of whack, although realistically the only way that would should itself is snow / rain in inappropriate places, which we already have to some degree, so I don't think it would be a killer problem.

One thing I'd find highly amusing actually, is if we (eventually) got a full map reset, but secretly we copied over a few areas - that way I can keep working as I choose, but the rest of you have to find me ;)

OneStrayBullet
18-08-2011, 11:37 PM
I've got to say, I'm against a map reset. The amount of time I've invested in Nyan, while it likely pales in comparison to many of your investments, is still fairly substantial and losing all that work would be very disheartening. I'll be all for merging a 1.8 map with the current map or importing areas into a 1.8 map if those are a feasible options.

Also, any news on when the server will be up?

El Stevo
19-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Server's back up. The machine it's hosted on at HGS went down. The server had to be restarted manually when the host came back up, so the restart scripts and Drose's tinkerings didn't work. And I didn't realise it was down. Sorry. Somebody e-mail or PM me next time it goes down for an extended period.