PDA

View Full Version : The (unofficial) RPS Minecraft Server Thread III

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

rustyshakelford2
19-08-2011, 01:02 AM
Any word on getting my storage room fixed? I made a schematic file...

http://db.tt/HNdadtY

DRoseDARs
19-08-2011, 01:15 AM
Evidently, I was just talking to myself earlier. -_-

Here, let me be clearer:

1) New map for beta 1.8 update = Not. Going. To. Happen.
2) New map for full retail = Not concrete that it is going to happen nor even planned really, just the earliest we would do one if ever. Still 2 months away anyhow.
3) Porting buildings/chunks from this map onto a new one or visa versa = Not. Going. To. Happen. (TOO much work involved, potentially everyone wanting their stuff moved, and no way in Hell we're going to play a game of Hot Potato with the map waiting on one person at a time porting their stuff individually. Again it's why only the Clocktower was ported from the old map)
4) Nerfing chunks from this map and regening with beta 1.8 code = Highly unlikely, probably labor-intensive. See: Porting buildings
5) Concurrent 2nd uRPS server = Money? Staffing? Time? Foot traffic justifying the bother? Even worth doing before full retail?
6) Leaving the map as-is through full retail release = Easiest option, but I don't think anyone really wants to miss out on any of the new stuff.
7) Expanding current map = Only real option that changes the map in any way while leaving everyone's stuff alone.

Guys, don't get your knickers in a bunch over any of this. Our primary mission is and always has been to provide as stable a server as we can (this current display of defiance the server is giving me notwithstanding... -_- ). It doesn't get more disruptive than a full map reset. Besides, we still don't know exactly what beta 1.8 will do to existing maps. This is all moot until we do. Ugh, this feels like the build-up to the Halloween Update all over again. This time, however, can we do it without the server going down for the count and the admin(s) disappearing forever? XD

KirbyS
19-08-2011, 01:20 AM
I've seen a multi-world plugin where you can have multiple worlds running on the same server, so maybe we have a 1.8 world, and a pre-1.8 world with all of our stuff on it.
EDIT: http://lpminecraft.com/forums/showwiki.php?title=Books:MultiVerse Here's stuff about it.
Solution to World Dilemma

DRoseDARs
19-08-2011, 01:22 AM
Server's back up. The machine it's hosted on at HGS went down. The server had to be restarted manually when the host came back up, so the restart scripts and Drose's tinkerings didn't work. And I didn't realise it was down. Sorry. Somebody e-mail or PM me next time it goes down for an extended period.

Ah, I figured it must have been something like that on HGS' end. Directly contacting you was going to be my next step after posting above and checking server again. Thank you again. :)

Edit: lol And now I can't get onto the server.

DRoseDARs
19-08-2011, 01:28 AM
Solution to World Dilemma

That has the same problem with just expanding the existing map: How much space will our stuff fill on the host server? Will HGS have a problem handling that or worse, a problem with us even doing that? Would just having a separate server be a more viable option (again, I don't think a 2nd uRPS is really a good option)?

KirbyS
19-08-2011, 01:34 AM
Are you kidding me? It just went down AGAIN! :(

El Stevo
19-08-2011, 01:38 AM
I can't connect to the host machine. Nothing I can do about it. Going to bed.

DRoseDARs
19-08-2011, 01:40 AM
Have a good night's rest, partyboi. ;)

Nine
19-08-2011, 03:13 AM
Seems the server might be having problems starting up again after automated restarts. It started one about 40 minutes ago and has still not come back online ("End of stream" error).

As for the 1.8 situation, I doubt we are the only server with this dilemma (a dilemma which will return every time there's a major terrain update) so there's always the possibility that the Minecraft community comes up with a tool specific for this situation (perhaps a process which automagically compares the current world to its original state [based on the world seed value] and regenerates all the chunks where altered blocks are below a certain treshold. There might be other tools and possibilities available as well, when the time comes, so I think this is a bit too soon for voting and debating.

El Stevo
19-08-2011, 07:07 AM
Server's back. For now.

OneStrayBullet
19-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Such a tease. I managed to log on for about 2 minutes moments ago, but was then kicked right as my hopes rose from the ashes. Bummer.

Edit: Fixt!

TwinklinPixi3
19-08-2011, 11:53 AM
My two penneth - not interested in a new map - put a lot of time and effort into what I've built. So DroseDARs, I second everything you said.

GingerCowboy
19-08-2011, 05:42 PM
wow, had to re-register thats how long its been :) Anyway I used to build on the first ever unofficial server in those heady days of fun and was wondering if a man could do the same on the big beast that now exists?

Cheers!

Smashbox
19-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Also:
Notch just posted this on Twitter.
Proper continents with ocean biomes and islands off-shore!
How could one NOT like that?!
http://i.imgur.com/lCKwM.png

Holy frijoles. That's a very cool pic. I would love to build ships.

Xerian
19-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Also:
Notch just posted this on Twitter.
Proper continents with ocean biomes and islands off-shore!
How could one NOT like that?!
http://i.imgur.com/lCKwM.png
Notch better make boats viable, and un-buggy then. Or give us better means of transportation, durr. :P

Comrade Commissar
20-08-2011, 01:06 AM
Edit:

Deleted my post, as I wrote it when I was pretty tired.

El Stevo
20-08-2011, 09:33 AM
People need to take the aggro down a notch. More civil discussion and less internet drama, please.

Be assured that no big decisions will ever be taken without careful consideration and listening to everyone's input.

J.B.
20-08-2011, 09:55 AM
wow, had to re-register thats how long its been :) Anyway I used to build on the first ever unofficial server in those heady days of fun and was wondering if a man could do the same on the big beast that now exists?

Cheers!

Heeeyy! Welcome back Ginge! Someone get this cowboy a place on the whitelist please =)

The JG Man
20-08-2011, 12:31 PM
I think the server has gone broked again.

El Stevo
20-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Rusty, your store room has been restored. Care to make an inspection? I used the 2011-08-06 backup.

Sorry about the delay. I wrote a little tool that allows you to restore specific chunks from a backup, so the next time this happens to somebody I'll be able to fix it much more quickly and easily.

rustyshakelford2
20-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Rusty, your store room has been restored. Care to make an inspection? I used the 2011-08-06 backup.

Sorry about the delay. I wrote a little tool that allows you to restore specific chunks from a backup, so the next time this happens to somebody I'll be able to fix it much more quickly and easily.

Looks good, its nice to have my stuff back. Thanks

The JG Man
21-08-2011, 02:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiEOR7tV4eI

Oh god. If that gets better, it might become unstoppable.

rustyshakelford2
21-08-2011, 03:56 AM
Oh god. If that gets better, it might become unstoppable.

I shall construct a house consisting of nothing but a kitchen downstairs, and a kid's bedroom upstairs.

KirbyS
21-08-2011, 04:28 AM
I shall construct a house consisting of nothing but a kitchen downstairs, and a kid's bedroom upstairs.
Rusty, If this was Reddit, I would upvote that. xD

Gerbster
21-08-2011, 04:37 AM
Eltagno - my apologies for the overly aggresive post of mine. Weed and I have exchanged virtual hugs (along with a cheeky virtual pat on the bum) and I helped him with his redstone circuit (while secretly lacing his base with TNT).

All is well with the players, now we just have the problem of...

The server died again just now from reset. 'Connection refused: connect' which is what I got last time it died for a while :(
Any clue as to what could be the issue?

El Stevo
21-08-2011, 11:26 AM
The server's up. Whatever happened, the automatic systems brought it back up.

Does anyone know what happened to Old Spawn? I notice Rusty has a replica, but what happened to the original?

DRoseDARs
21-08-2011, 11:43 AM

I nuked it a while ago. I built it to replace the original spawn hut built by Thurzday (I think) to make Oldspawn mobproof since we hadn't mobproofed town yet at that point. It was shit design, it was meant to be temporary and "temporary" dragged on for months. Forget shitty Oldspawn Hut, we have Newspawn Pavilion and Newnewspawn Happyfunlandyeahyeahyeah now. :)

El Stevo
21-08-2011, 11:57 AM
It had historical significance! :@

Comrade Commissar
21-08-2011, 01:06 PM

Your comment wins the internet, Rusty.

I helped him with his redstone circuit (while secretly lacing his base with TNT).

What you didn't know is, that while you were busy planting the TNT in my base, I installed a huge nuclear bomb in the center of Shrewbil, ready to explode at any time!

Comrade Commissar
21-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Administrators gonna administrate...

http://i52.tinypic.com/168g6qq.png

Nine
21-08-2011, 02:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPJUBQd-PNM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPJUBQd-PNM

Gerbster
21-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Can anyone recommend a simple program to just let me load in a huge PNG file and re-save it while compressing the colours (IE to make it smaller)?
I am messing with exporting top-down maps of the server, but the file came out at 180mb and I can load it in to precisely zero applications I have on my laptop - even reliable photoshop says no.

Phydaux
21-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Gerb, IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com/) has a whole bunch of options, and is pretty solid at opening big files.

rustyshakelford2
21-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Can anyone recommend a simple program to just let me load in a huge PNG file and re-save it while compressing the colours (IE to make it smaller)?
I am messing with exporting top-down maps of the server, but the file came out at 180mb and I can load it in to precisely zero applications I have on my laptop - even reliable photoshop says no.

I've always used gimp for that. I despise it for image editing, but it seems to handle large files well. Speaking of which, I guess i'm a bit behind with the maps. I'll see if i can get one up later today.

Gerbster
21-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Rusty, I looked into it because I don't want you to feel obligated with your weekly updates (but do it, damnit!).
But perhaps you could list what programs you use and how, IE an idiot's guide in case we want to do our own.
For example, do you like me end up with a stupidly massive PNG (180mbs? This is supposed to be a compressed format!) that you later reduce in colours etc to shrink down, or is my output just wrong (possibly due to different program I use from you?).

rustyshakelford2
22-08-2011, 12:38 AM
new maps:

Flat world: http://db.tt/aFhmfM8
Flat nether: http://db.tt/buc646s

Rusty, I looked into it because I don't want you to feel obligated with your weekly updates (but do it, damnit!).
But perhaps you could list what programs you use and how, IE an idiot's guide in case we want to do our own.
For example, do you like me end up with a stupidly massive PNG (180mbs? This is supposed to be a compressed format!) that you later reduce in colours etc to shrink down, or is my output just wrong (possibly due to different program I use from you?).

OK, so I render all the maps with cartograph_g. It outputs those "stupidly massive" png files. I open those files with gimp and save them as gif. I don't bother to do that last step for the nether maps, but it really cuts down the size of the world maps.

Edit: I do intend to keep doing the maps, i just got bogged down dealing with life and all its wonderfully shitty surprises.

Gerbster
22-08-2011, 05:30 AM
Rusty, no worries, it happens to us all. How much ram does your comp have? Mine died with gimp loading the 180mb file. I have 3gb I think in the laptop.

rustyshakelford2
22-08-2011, 05:59 AM
Rusty, no worries, it happens to us all. How much ram does your comp have? Mine died with gimp loading the 180mb file. I have 3gb I think in the laptop.
I have 4gb. Opening the flat map with gimp uses 80% of it, opening the oblique uses all of it and a gig or so overflows into my page file. It takes maby 5 minutes to convert both files. I also have an SSD, which I think helps quite a bit when the pagefile comes into play.

Gerbster
22-08-2011, 06:52 AM
Eltagno - I left a present for you at the entrance of e2t - something I promised you probably around 4 months ago. Hope you enjoy it!

Xerian
22-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Yeah, Rusty, life always has a load of shitty surprises in store... Gotta love life ^_~'.

Gerbster
22-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Server is down. Happens far too frequently now, what are our options? Is it possibly caused by us being booted from the server and trying to reconnect too quickly? I always used to be able to reconnect immediately, but dunno what is going on behind the scenes, if anything has changed.

OneStrayBullet
22-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Server, y u so much downtime?

El Stevo
22-08-2011, 10:38 PM
I've never been around when the server doesn't come back immediately after a restart, so I don't know what's happening. It always comes back automatically eventually.

Gerbster
22-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Really? That last time today with you, I couldn't reconnect for around 10 minutes. I wonder if it is just my problem then? Or rather, a common problem but client-side based.

KirbyS
23-08-2011, 02:29 AM
So... I've been really bored recently, and this is what i did.... http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/jr63h/my_latest_project_which_took_me_about_3_weeks/

rustyshakelford2
23-08-2011, 06:21 AM
So... I've been really bored recently, and this is what i did.... http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/jr63h/my_latest_project_which_took_me_about_3_weeks/

I always wanted to build a giant dam, it just seemed like too much work. Where is this?

KirbyS
23-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Its on my single player world. My next project will be to do this on the server :D

Comrade Commissar
23-08-2011, 04:16 PM

Mmmh!
Me gusta!

I did something similar but it's about 10 times smaller and took me one day.

DRoseDARs
24-08-2011, 12:54 AM
So, I hear everything east of the Appalachians cracked and slipped into the Atlantic Ocean this afternoon. That's one way to clean up DC. Any US East Coast RPSians still with us? :D ;)

rustyshakelford2
24-08-2011, 02:35 AM
So, I hear everything east of the Appalachians cracked and slipped into the Atlantic Ocean this afternoon. That's one way to clean up DC. Any US East Coast RPSians still with us? :D ;)

I was leaning back in a rolling chair when it hit... not the best place to be.

Gerbster
24-08-2011, 02:53 AM
Earthquakes are mad. Is anyone in a zone where they happen often enough that you just sorta go 'meh'?
I've felt maybe 3 in my life, and even the strongest (can't remember, think it was high 4s or something, but close to epicenter) was enough to make me crap myself when stuff started falling off the buildings around me. Life is crazy when you can't even trust the ground under your feet!

DRoseDARs
24-08-2011, 03:57 AM
We've not had huge ones here in Reno (...yet. Like California, way overdue for one); I've never felt one much beyond a 5.* That weak, yeah mostly just 'meh' but for people living where they don't normally happen at all (in a typical Human lifespan anyway) I can see how it'd be unnerving, particularly where building codes aren't prepared for them. When I was little I had a spider skitter across my bare ass while I was going number 2, been terrified of spiders ever since. Years later I was going number 2 when an earthquake hit, but it didn't bother me ... beyond the inconvenience of the toilet moving. Maybe it's the number of earthquakes I'd already felt at that point that made me not afraid. Perhaps I need to have more spiders crawling on my ass to not be afraid of them anymore.

No, fuck that.

*By which I mean a local earthquake being much beyond a 5. I didn't feel the '89 Loma Prieta quake in San Fransisco, but it made things sway in the house.

KirbyS
24-08-2011, 10:49 PM
I've only felt one big one (5.6) but alot of smaller ones. But it was kind of fun..... xD

Mollusc Infestation
25-08-2011, 03:49 AM
We had one in the south of England a couple of years ago, even though we've got no tectonic fault lines anywhere near us. Nobody's safe apparently.

El Stevo
25-08-2011, 06:09 PM
I've only felt one big one (5.6) but alot of smaller ones. But it was kind of fun..... xD
Hot. (Although 5.6" is about average, not big.)

KirbyS
25-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Well, yeah, the ground shook for a while, and it felt big at the time, and it was by the biggest I've felt in my 15 year life. xD

DRoseDARs
26-08-2011, 01:22 AM

With the shitty week I've had at work, the innocence of that post made me smile. Adorable. ;-)

rustyshakelford2
26-08-2011, 01:28 AM

With the shitty week I've had at work, the innocence of that post made me smile. Adorable. ;-)

Ah yes, being young. Good times.

Gerbster
26-08-2011, 04:21 PM
I'd like to say I remember clearly my life at 15, but I can't - hardly a surprise when you know it was 20 years ago, and I can barely remember what I did yesterday :)

Comrade Commissar
26-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Haha... I'm 18 now and I already can't remember what was 3 years ago...

KirbyS
26-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Woah... people who aren't young play minecraft.... i had no idea.... xD (see how i didn't offend anyone there?)

Jorvikan
26-08-2011, 11:13 PM
I'd still class 35 as pretty young.

...40 on the other hand haha.

DRoseDARs
27-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Kirb, Elt made a sexual innuendo joke based off the magnitude earthquake you stated. Looked like it went right over your head and yet both ways worked; the layers of humor in there gave me the giggles. :-)

At 30, I guess I'm still youngish, though hearing House of Pain's "Jump Around" used in a Pringles commercial... I think I aged 20 years instantly.

Mollusc Infestation
27-08-2011, 01:04 AM
27. Somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. I'm happy with that.

ScottJ10
27-08-2011, 05:59 AM
Gotta check out this water shader mod. http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/542215-173-water-shader-alpha/

Looks sweet.

http://i.imgur.com/6DEzy.jpg

KirbyS
27-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Kirb, Elt made a sexual innuendo joke based off the magnitude earthquake you stated. Looked like it went right over your head and yet both ways worked; the layers of humor in there gave me the giggles. :-)

At 30, I guess I'm still youngish, though hearing House of Pain's "Jump Around" used in a Pringles commercial... I think I aged 20 years instantly.
Well.... my mind doesn't live in the gutter... Now that i look at it from that.... eh... point of view... it makes me realize, that some adults are as immature as most of my high school friends... you pervs.

El Stevo
27-08-2011, 09:40 AM
it makes me realize, that some adults are as immature as most of my high school friends...
You have learnt an important lesson today.

Jorvikan
27-08-2011, 12:27 PM
hahaha I think we may have offended young Kirby's sensitive sensibilities.

And yes, wisdom rarely comes with age.

Mollusc Infestation
27-08-2011, 01:07 PM
That's unless you equate wisdom with the ability to spot double entendres.

The JG Man
27-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Gotta check out this water shader mod.

Hot damn. That looks good.

hahaha I think we may have offended young Kirby's sensitive sensibilities.

I remember watching South Park when it first came on. I must've been what, 8 or 9? And I haven't turned out good! Wait, bad. I meant bad. Oops.

KirbyS
27-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Am I seriously the youngest on the Forums?

Gerbster
27-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Is anyone from Boddington still active on the forums?
Remember we talked about twinning with Shrewbil briefly?
I have an embassy building all-but-finished for you guys - if you could pick a spot in Boddington I could get to work on the other one.

Jorvikan
27-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Am I seriously the youngest on the Forums?

I very much doubt it, but RPS is generally a bit more "mature" than most gaming forums I've come across.

I have an embassy building all-but-finished for you guys - if you could pick a spot in Boddington I could get to work on the other one.

I'm from Bodington. I did look for a spot, in game and using maps, but there isn't really a decent sized spot left on the island proper. I'll try and chat with the other guys about a possible clearance of space, but obviously I can't do that by myself.

Comrade Commissar
27-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Oh wow, now that's cool!
Embassies for other kingdoms/countries?

How about a partnership with Scotland (formerly known as Wales)?

Nine
28-08-2011, 04:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c83y8ubU0M

rustyshakelford2
28-08-2011, 05:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c83y8ubU0M

"This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

This post contains anger from rusty, who is directing it at loose interpretation of copyright law. Fuck the future.

Comrade Commissar
28-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Hey rusty, use this.
http://www.hidemyass.com/

rustyshakelford2
28-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Hey rusty, use this.
http://www.hidemyass.com/

I already used my vpn to watch it, but its the principle of the thing.

Gerbster
28-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Oh wow, now that's cool!
Embassies for other kingdoms/countries?

How about a partnership with Scotland (formerly known as Wales)?Well I guess we should decide - do we have one building per town and essentially a town-net, or does each place want its own embassy building? I quite like the idea of individual buildings, it would make places seem much more metropolitan, but I'm open to suggestions.

Comrade Commissar
28-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Hmm...
Scotland is pretty small as of now.
I'd prefer the idea of having a building for each embassy, but I don't know if they will fit into the scenery.
So far Scotland is only a castle and a village on an island...
If the buildings don't turn out to be bigger than, let's say, the church or the townhall, then it should be okay to have different buildings.

Nine
28-08-2011, 06:53 PM
notch explains 1.8:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/08/27/pax-minecraft-new-updates-commentary

Comrade Commissar
28-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Shrewbil port during night and sunrise with the water shader mod:

http://i53.tinypic.com/11bur6e.png

http://i54.tinypic.com/28kll69.png

http://i54.tinypic.com/i3xcoh.png

TwinklinPixi3
29-08-2011, 11:31 AM

JoefishC was building an embassey in Cathedral City - which is half finished atm :)

TwinklinPixi3
29-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Oh and I'm 32 :)

El Stevo
29-08-2011, 11:49 PM
The machine our server's on is down again, in case anyone was wondering.

ShowMeTheMonkey
30-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Hi guys! Sorry not been around too much but had a lot on my plate for quite awhile.

Would love to get people back to Bodington, lost my mojo for minecraft for awhile and looking for any excuse to start building again! When term starts again I'm sure I can get peopleback into it again. Very much looking forward to the 1.8 update (Though I'm worried how the server will handle some of it's aspects lol).

Again, sorry for not being around much! Bodington is ripe for a little facelift!

(Also I'm 22, and most of Bodington people are 21)

DRoseDARs
30-08-2011, 02:53 AM
So while we wait on issues to be sorted on Planet HGS, I've been playing around a bit with the Solar Apocalypse (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/553749-173-solar-apocalypse-wip/) mod and it's kinda interesting as far as role playing mods go. I started a session using the 404 seed so I'd have a readily-available hole to duck into if I failed to work fast enough on the surface, though I was actually able to put a dirt roof over the top of the shaft and a bit of the water nearby was shielded too. I managed to gather most essential mats before everything burned on the surface, though getting the nearest spot of shielded grass is going to be problematic; pines are extinct in my game since I couldn't find any before things went toasty. Also, I think infiniwater got nerfed (by design? bug?) so that puts a crimp in my plans, given all nearby surface water went gaseous days ago. It's amusing to watch hostile mobs spawn at night on the surface and immediately go incandescent. It's super-helpful that any sand that is directly exposed to sunlight from above turns to glass; currently working on removing all unturned sand in my immediate vicinity revealing the natural glass dome above so I can bring some greenery back into this barren wasteland.

Given water appears to be an issue for me and I don't have access to grass for the time being, food is going to be an issue. I have some shrooms, so I'll have to start a mushroom farm before too long. Mercifully, I have a 4 tree treefarm going now. I was getting worried as I watched my pre-burn supply of raw logs dwindle. :)

ScottJ10
30-08-2011, 04:05 AM
So while we wait on issues to be sorted on Planet HGS, I've been playing around a bit with the Solar Apocalypse (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/553749-173-solar-apocalypse-wip/) mod and it's kinda interesting as far as role playing mods go. I started a session using the 404 seed so I'd have a readily-available hole to duck into if I failed to work fast enough on the surface, though I was actually able to put a dirt roof over the top of the shaft and a bit of the water nearby was shielded too. I managed to gather most essential mats before everything burned on the surface, though getting the nearest spot of shielded grass is going to be problematic; pines are extinct in my game since I couldn't find any before things went toasty. Also, I think infiniwater got nerfed (by design? bug?) so that puts a crimp in my plans, given all nearby surface water went gaseous days ago. It's amusing to watch hostile mobs spawn at night on the surface and immediately go incandescent. It's super-helpful that any sand that is directly exposed to sunlight from above turns to glass; currently working on removing all unturned sand in my immediate vicinity revealing the natural glass dome above so I can bring some greenery back into this barren wasteland.

Given water appears to be an issue for me and I don't have access to grass for the time being, food is going to be an issue. I have some shrooms, so I'll have to start a mushroom farm before too long. Mercifully, I have a 4 tree treefarm going now. I was getting worried as I watched my pre-burn supply of raw logs dwindle. :)

Curious to see how it goes. Keep us posted :o

KirbyS
30-08-2011, 04:38 AM
Hi guys! Sorry not been around too much but had a lot on my plate for quite awhile.

Would love to get people back to Bodington, lost my mojo for minecraft for awhile and looking for any excuse to start building again! When term starts again I'm sure I can get peopleback into it again. Very much looking forward to the 1.8 update (Though I'm worried how the server will handle some of it's aspects lol).

Again, sorry for not being around much! Bodington is ripe for a little facelift!

(Also I'm 22, and most of Bodington people are 21)

Did my innocence really start all this? So many ages.... and all older than mine...

Gerbster
30-08-2011, 04:48 AM
I tried starting up some SP levels, but my heart just wasn´t in it. Anything I do might as well go into uRPS or else I´m just wasting time (heh like being on uRPS isn´t wasting time really!).

El Stevo
30-08-2011, 05:17 AM
Server's back.

Xerian
30-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Did my innocence really start all this? So many ages.... and all older than mine...
I'm guessing you're 14-17-ish. I, myself am 16. (Turned 16 the 11th o' August! Gief gifts people!)

-And Drose, please do keep us updated! Looks like a cool mod, think I'll try it out myself.

-Hey Monkey, good to see ya' again. Get yer' Bodington lads back 'ere, or else I'll kidnap ya'll!

Jorvikan
30-08-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm guessing you're 14-17-ish. I, myself am 16. (Turned 16 the 11th o' August! Gief gifts people!)

-And Drose, please do keep us updated! Looks like a cool mod, think I'll try it out myself.

-Hey Monkey, good to see ya' again. Get yer' Bodington lads back 'ere, or else I'll kidnap ya'll!

I'm a Bodington lad, and I'd like to see you try matey.

KirbyS
30-08-2011, 02:36 PM

I'm 15.
and finally... another person who isn't more than 5 years older than me xD

Gerbster
30-08-2011, 04:22 PM
I, myself am 16. (Turned 16 the 11th o' August! Gief gifts people!) Next time I see you online I'll be sure to give you my gifts. They are green and very very huggable. Hope you enjoy!

Comrade Commissar
30-08-2011, 07:25 PM
It may be childish, but I'm literally laughing my ass off because of the video that guy uploading...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRcuuxius3s&feature=related

NGuccaNccii!

Gerbster
31-08-2011, 12:55 AM
OK Weed, I´ll admit that initially I just thought it was twatty, until I tried out a few more vids and realised he´s sticking these into a genuine attempt to help people pronounce things.
Escargot and Jake Gyllenhaal are my favourites :)

And weed I think you´ll find it is Gucci is pronounced Nguggencen-chii - you´d look sooooooo silly trying to buy something posh if it weren´t for me :)

Xerian
31-08-2011, 10:36 AM
I liked Meme aswell. "M-ehmeheeeh"
"Bon Iver" = Bun Luver. Oh, coolies.
Bolognese... Bowloegnayesee
... Ensgwargethz. So now I know how to pronounce Escargot... Nice.
Oh god. "Penis" Mbeebithfsz
And agreed. Jake Gyllenhaal one is awesome too. x]

Comrade Commissar
31-08-2011, 05:57 PM
My favourites are "Ralph Fiennes" and "L'OCCITANE".

rustyshakelford2
31-08-2011, 06:53 PM
New maps:

Flat world: http://db.tt/sYorN9m
Oblique world: http://db.tt/rca0QD0

There appears to be something epic under construction in the northeast. Something of seekrit project proportions.

J.B.
31-08-2011, 07:43 PM
It's always nice to see people coming back to the server, wb Monkey! And that mod sounds interesting DRose!

Also, Kirby, I'm old enough to be your dad. 35.

PS - AFAIK I'm not your dad.

Wubble69
01-09-2011, 09:06 AM
I am returned for the time being also.

Made a stupid mistake of checking up on how you all were and downloaded the last map. The rest as they say was history.

Gerbster
01-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Nice to see you finally cleaned out that overgrown island Wubble :)

KirbyS
02-09-2011, 10:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/k9wWF.png
Look. at the Bottom of the picture. With the small writing. That's MY reddit name :)
I'm mentioned on the #3 post on r/minecraft. :)

El Stevo
04-09-2011, 07:36 PM
"Notch gives pigs snouts. Pigs love snouts."

I don't get it...

KirbyS
05-09-2011, 12:29 AM
The person who made the picture messed up the joke. It's supposed to be a play on
"Get that bitch a ___,
bitches love ___"
You have to be a redditor to get it...

rustyshakelford2
05-09-2011, 12:39 AM
The person who made the picture messed up the joke. It's supposed to be a play on
"Get that bitch a ___,
bitches love ___"
You have to be a redditor to get it...

Silly reddit users, always taking credit for memes that came from other sites.

KirbyS
05-09-2011, 12:50 AM
Its not "reddit user," its "redditor"
Edit: God I'm an ass :)

Xerian
05-09-2011, 04:24 PM
No no, you're just silly for being a reddit user. ;)

Comrade Commissar
06-09-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and say:

AWESOME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYoO9XkCCHg&feature=youtu.be

And also watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PuGTIlJot0&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_21013

Those dungeons with cave spiders are brilliant!

dotBrain
06-09-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm still alive! Work has been hella busy and Deus Ex 3 had completely taken over my life. Now that I've beaten my first run Ima do my best to hop on when I can. :D

Bilbo1981
06-09-2011, 03:19 PM
How comes theres no mention of the server IP in the OP?

Be interesting to try again but isn't the server in USA and quite laggy for us UK folks?

Xerian
06-09-2011, 03:34 PM
How comes theres no mention of the server IP in the OP?

Be interesting to try again but isn't the server in USA and quite laggy for us UK folks?
Its not all that noticeable most of the time - We're alot of folk from europe aswell as america playing on the server, and I myself dont experience much lag, if any. So I wouldnt say "quite laggy" more like "A tiny bit laggy, but unnoticeable after you get used to it" ;)
And I'm not at home right now, so I cant give ye' the IP - sorry.

I'm still alive! Work has been hella busy and Deus Ex 3 had completely taken over my life. Now that I've beaten my first run Ima do my best to hop on when I can. :D
I'm pretty far into my second run-through, heh. And it'll be nice to see you around some more :]

Jorvikan
06-09-2011, 04:22 PM
The server IP is in a googledocs document linked to in the OP.

It's the bold red link called uRPS ADDRESS ;)

DRoseDARs
08-09-2011, 04:30 AM
So, my experience with the Solar Apocalypse mod. I can see the appeal if you and some buddies want to do a roleplaying server where you are completely banished from the surface or even any direct contact with sky above, night or day, at least until the modder introduces some kind of protective armor. In single, I had set myself some loose goals that I knew I wouldn't actually accomplish (as I knew I wasn't likely going to continue much longer with the mod) but could still work towards. I did get a small treefarm going, I only managed to miss out on collecting pine saplings, I knew where the nearest grass was and how to *probably* get to it, I did protect water nearby though in retrospect I should have covered before the evaporation kicked in. I cheated a bit to A) update distant chunks to get rid of unevaporated water/burn the land/smelt the sand out past the horizon from my sanctuary and B) to get a better sense of the landscape I had rushed through trying to gather supplies as a flat map only shows so much. I envisioned (had this been a multiplayer session) a decent-sized city under glass where I was and a Great Tree visible behind glass on the side of a nearby mountain overlooking the area. Further in the never-coming future of the not-multiplayer map, once heat armor was available it'd be possible to try to reclaim the barren landscape by placing glass at the highest layer.

In singleplayer, none of that was ever really going to happen. The biggest takeaway for me was the loneliness. The landscape was stark, much more oppressive than just a simple desert as now you're stuck under glass and whatever you can additionally excavate. The lack of even a single clucken ducken or derpy pig was rather jarring. I had never thought about what non-hostile mobs had added before I found myself without the near-term possibility of their company. Again, it has appeal for a multiplayer setup, but I couldn't do it for single. One funny aspect is the unintentionally built-in anti-griefer measure: Yes, they can break glass, but even a moment's exposure and you burst into flames, death quickly follows. As most griefers tend to be newly-spawned, they've not had chance to get buckets for emergency water, tools of any sort, or heat armor (that doesn't exist in the mod yet), so their opportunities to wreak havoc would be somewhat limited.

rustyshakelford2
08-09-2011, 06:30 PM
new maps:

Flat world: http://db.tt/pKJx1xv
Oblique world: http://db.tt/vT55KBD

I used an entirely different method for the nether map, and i think it came out much better.
http://db.tt/bxBJrt4

DRoseDARs
09-09-2011, 11:50 PM
Not that anyone would be interested in this even slightly, but Jens and Notch have pre-released a still-buggy build of beta 1.8 for testing purposes. And for the lolz I'm sure... ;)

http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/214-want-to-play-18-early-heres-how/
http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/215-18-updates-features-from-the-pre-release/

rustyshakelford2
10-09-2011, 01:05 AM
Not that anyone would be interested in this even slightly, but Jens and Notch have pre-released a still-buggy build of beta 1.8 for testing purposes. And for the lolz I'm sure... ;)

http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/214-want-to-play-18-early-heres-how/
http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/215-18-updates-features-from-the-pre-release/

I've been playing it for the past hour. The combination of mobs that run away and needing to keep the food bar filled is absolutely maddening. The endermen are very underwhelming, i've killed several without a weapon. The larger biomes and rivers are definitely my favorite features. No bugs so far.

DRoseDARs
10-09-2011, 01:42 AM
There's a special page set up to list the bugs in this pre'lease. There's a few bugs... ;)
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Known_bugs/Version_1.8

OneStrayBullet
10-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Is anyone else having issues logging on to the server? I'm getting a "Taking too long" error followed by a strange 503 error followed by a minecraft.net url that I have never seen before. This is quite obnoxious.

Edit: Minecraft.net appears to be down, which I kind of figured. Come on Notch, time to invest in some new infrastructure.

DRoseDARs
11-09-2011, 06:00 AM
So finally was able to just sit down and play with pre'lease b1.8 in single. I must say, I think it looks to be a good update if they can clear up the bugs. My thoughts:

1) I really like the cave spiders. They're like creepers minus the boom-boom; poisonous instead. 1x1x1 in size forces you to either flee or stand and fight. God help you if you're near a cave spider spawner... or near more than one, which is very possible. Also, pay attention to how close you are to cobwebs. Kinda important to know where they are when running from/fighting with cave spiders...
2) I love the ravines, I love they can intersect to make bigger ravines, I love that mines can intersect with them as well though there's the bug where they'll gen mid-air inside a ravine.
3) I love the larger biomes; mostly have just seen the swamp and snowless pine forests (pine forests without snow is criminal) and a bit of the mountain biome. Not seen any snow (which is a known bug) or deserts. I may have an ocean biome nearby. Also the rivers still need some work. Not really river-y if they keep getting cut off. The new vines are ace; they can spread on things but you should be able to climb on them like ladders. Giant mushrooms are cute, would like to see proper forests of them. I remember many moons back player Tei made a mod that did exactly that. I give it a day before someone recreates a Smurf village and posts it on Youtube... ;)
4) Have seen the NPC-less towns, would like to see them not be crummy. Haven't seen a stronghold yet, though having just used PixelMap on my save, I see there's one to the south underground. Also, I see the entire area is spammed with abandoned mines. Perhaps the frequency of their generation should be... *puts on sunglasses* ...turned down a notch.
5) Poking through the .jar to see the changed/new .png files, I think I understand the new lighting system better and I think I like it. I think the flickering is intentional and it adds a little extra to the atmosphere of the game though the flicker should only apply to torch-based lighting not glowstone or lanterns (whenever they come).
6) Combat is definitely improved. We shall see what they do with the XP orb thingies. I don't like that F3 no longer shows you where the mobs are by displaying their entity ID number, but I knew that "feature" would eventually be pulled from the game.
7) Endermen... are stupid. They had potential to be kinda scary, instead they come off as pushy clowns that get comically agro. Also, stop fucking with the trees in the forest. I don't bloody want to see floating trunks. Instead of Endermen, they should have gone with a flying mob like a cave bat (*nodding towards Terraria*) which would have been perfect in the ravines. Not seen the Silverfish yet, but suspect I soon will once I hit the stronghold to the south.
8) Seemingly unlike Rusty above, I actually do like the hunger system so far (does it's behavior change based on difficulty level, not counting peaceful?). It's not hard at all to hunt down tasty animals, rend their flesh, cook'em and eat'em. That they now run from you just adds flavor to the meat. Also, stackable food.
9) As far as the new blocks like glass panes and iron bars, not really played with them yet. Mostly just aesthetic blocks, so I'm in no hurry to check them out. I've got endless ravines and mines to explore forever.

Can't think of what else to mention, but all in all this looks to be a nice update once the bugs get shaken out.

El Stevo
11-09-2011, 09:15 AM
That they now run from you just adds flavor to the meat.
Spoken like a true bloodthirsty American.

Xerian
11-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Is anyone else having issues logging on to the server? I'm getting a "Taking too long" error followed by a strange 503 error followed by a minecraft.net url that I have never seen before. This is quite obnoxious.

Edit: Minecraft.net appears to be down, which I kind of figured. Come on Notch, time to invest in some new infrastructure.
Yeah, Minecraft.net had a shitton of problems yesterday - being down for a few minutes, up for some seconds etc
- Took me 40 minutes to log onto the game at one point, and then another 15 to get on the server ;I.

Kadrek
11-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Hi, mi nick in game is frakka, I'm a newbie of mc(2 days ._.) and for the moment I like to build caves and houses xD I'd like to join the server with a friend, Bekih.
Can we enter guys?c:

bekihww
11-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Hi, I'm frakkas friend, my nick in game is Bekih, and I'd like to play with my friend in this server (:
I like to build house and various stuff, and I'm too a lil newbie of MC!

Gerbster
13-09-2011, 01:43 AM
Hey guys, hope to see you on the servers soon.
While waiting for probation status, be sure to take a wander around. Make sure you read the rules posted at the start of the thread as well.

TwinklinPixi3
13-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Server seems so lonely atm :( Every time I log on It's usually just me, or maybe 1 other... where's everyone gone?

DRoseDARs
14-09-2011, 01:15 AM
1) Double-whitelisted
2) Always good advice :)
3) Can't speak for others (though, school semester started for many I believe) but I've been Sad Panda past few weeks. Not very good company I'm afraid. I've been checking the thread and for any PMs to keep tabs and watch for any issues, but otherwise seems to have been peaceful. I have been playing with the pre'lease beta 1.8 (not the update to the not-yet-update, that's next after I post) to see what to expect out of it. I do not like the Endermen. If we have the means, we will likely disable them. I do not want them wrecking scenery, either natural or player-made, and I don't think anyone else does either. It's one thing if creepers do it as that's your own damn fault for refusing to hug them, but Endermen are programmed to wreck things regardless. There's other things I could go over in a later post, but the Endermen are the only thing that really irk me. I come out of my little hidey-hole in the side of a ravine (Me? Another Hobbit hole? Shocking, I know.) every morning to find those bastards have raped the conifer forest above yet again. Stop touching my woods. >:-(

Wubble69
14-09-2011, 12:55 PM
1.8 is available to download.

you will get an option wether you would like to install it or not.

If you say no you can still access the server and you will be given the choice again next time you log in ad infinitem.

El Stevo
14-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Biome code is changing again in 1.9, so the chance of moving to a new map for 1.8 is exactly 0. Just so you all know.

The JG Man
14-09-2011, 06:12 PM
I saw that and was expecting that response, which is fine with me. I thought the plan though was to simply extend the map though?

As for not being on, I've been playing other games, but I've also been running dry of ideas. Usually, if others are on I'll stay on, if not...

Gerbster
14-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Teehee you silly notch you :)

Awesome 1.8 bugs:

- Furnace contents disappear when last block smelts
- Entering the Nether crashes the game
- Modifying sound or music options crashes the game
- Entering video options crashes the game

amongst others.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Can we update already puh-lease? :D

Alikchi
15-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Oh jeez I accidentally hit "yes"

rustyshakelford2
15-09-2011, 11:53 PM
Oh jeez I accidentally hit "yes"

Silly Alikchi

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2tpmwns2xumluaa/minecraft-1.7.3.jar

doneazzo
16-09-2011, 01:42 PM
i seem to be encountering quite the weird error.
i can connect to the server just fine after a fresh restart. as soon as i try to destroy/place blocks they re-/dis-appear as if there's lag but no blocks drop.

then after about a minute it says "Connection Lost Internal exception: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out".
If i try to reconnect after that, it says "Logging In" for about a minute before erroring out with "End of Stream" and I have to wait for the next server restart to repeat this procedure. I just logged in and instantly typed /spawn, walked away some place and placed a torch/destroyed it, blocks as well but as soon as i started walking towards Breasthaven and made it to the bridge (I didn't try all the way there) the same problem occured again and I was disconnected....I dont know if this affects just an area but it'd include my castle all the way to the breasthaven bridge at least

DHP
16-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I got that happening earlier, doneazzo. Thought I'd give it a while and come back, but seems still broken. I hope I did not break it, I laid some powered track in breatshaven over the last few days. It seemed to work OK, and I had not heard of it crashing servers, but I will remove it on next restart, if I can get in, and see if it fixes the problem.

Edit...

Cannot remove them, but I had some laid 3 days ago without issue...

doneazzo
16-09-2011, 03:08 PM
i was playing around with redstone circuits as well, but I have a LOT and it never broke before so i really don't know if it's at all related (seeing as how the current circuit isnt at all connected but simply lines atm)

I know when and where exactly it started happening to me and I was the only person on the server at that time if that helps backtrack it at all, as soon as an admin could look into it

edit: well, i can't break any blocks or place any blocks anywhere at all....except torches. i can walk around for hours though. venturing a wild guess, possibly disk full so it cant actually update anything?

El Stevo
16-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Server is fucked. Whenever anyone's online the console gets filled up with an insane number of exceptions. I'll take this to tech support.

dhrstoff
16-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Hello! I'm trying to join the server but it seems that I am not able to do this. Do I need to be put on a whitelist or is the server just acting up?

El Stevo
16-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Read the post above yours, and the three before that.

DRoseDARs
16-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Hello! I'm trying to join the server but it seems that I am not able to do this. Do I need to be put on a whitelist or is the server just acting up?

As El Stevo mentioned, the server is having a malfunction. We'll see if the issues with the server can be cleared up soon. And yes, we're a whitelist server so you'd need to provide your Minecraft name in order to get build rights.

DRoseDARs
17-09-2011, 04:19 AM
Before anyone asks, I wasn't anywhere near the crash at the Reno Air Races (which are actually held in a town 8ish miles north of Reno) today. I was home taking a nap some 16 miles away when it happened. I do however live directly below the southern approach to Reno-Tahoe International, and a lot of participants will park their planes there since the Reno-Stead Airport doesn't have room for them all.

Tardain
17-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Good to hear you are safe. I hope it went better than it sounds like it did..?

I am guessing the server is still down, do you have any idea when it will be up again?
And will it be updated? If not will it ever be?

:)
Tardain

El Stevo
17-09-2011, 09:13 AM
I got some time to actually look at it, and it turns out it was a plugin acting up. The plugin is Spout, which we don't actually use for anything yet, so I got rid of it. I'm not sure why it suddenly decided to break. Server's up and should be running fine.

The server will be updated to 1.8 when the release has stabilised, when Bukkit updates for it, and when I get time. In the meantime if people want to do me a favour they can look at Rusty's maps and fill in the gaps where the chunks haven't been generated yet by visiting them on the server, so that we don't get horrible looking seams after the update.

doneazzo
17-09-2011, 03:50 PM
to help with that here's a standard flat render of the most recent backup (when i downloaded it): uRPS2.2011-09-17_03-16-01

http://www.multiupload.com/V7EVHMXTUO

I used Cartograph G. If there's any better out there, please let me know cause its been rendering the oblique map for a long time already and it's nowhere close to being finished

rustyshakelford2
17-09-2011, 05:22 PM
to help with that here's a standard flat render of the most recent backup (when i downloaded it): uRPS2.2011-09-17_03-16-01

http://www.multiupload.com/V7EVHMXTUO

I used Cartograph G. If there's any better out there, please let me know cause its been rendering the oblique map for a long time already and it's nowhere close to being finished

Thats what i've been using. I use gimp to convert the files to gif afterwords.

vapsyvox
17-09-2011, 10:48 PM
dunno if you know about this one (http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/misc-dynmap-v0-22-realtime-minecraft-maps-1060.489/).

Comrade Commissar
18-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Epicness!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzuLnBasMn0&feature=feedlik

Noob adventures part 4 has also been released!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CexGbBZTPg

DRoseDARs
19-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Just for the record: While I may be a gaylord, I am not a griefer.

Also: GREEEE-TTTTingsssss!

rustyshakelford2
19-09-2011, 03:06 AM
dunno if you know about this one (http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/misc-dynmap-v0-22-realtime-minecraft-maps-1060.489/).

I just installed this on my server. It rendered the world quickly, and barely increased server load. Elt should definitely look at this, it makes map rendering obsolete.

DRoseDARs
21-09-2011, 04:06 AM
Hmm, so server is being extra-disconnecty tonight. Hard to carry on a 3 person convo with Gerbster and Deschain. Whatever is going on may be on HGS's end because I can't even get at the control panel.

*sigh* So much for my border walk. Back to singleplayer mod experimentation. Millenaire's NPC mod is rather good, some bugs in pathfinding but its faster to do things for the villages yourself anyway and it build your rep with them. There's a render distance increase mod that allows up to a 2km range. I wouldn't use that on the server as it will slam it with chunk requests, slowing things for everyone. I'm also using Sphax's PureBDCraft texture pack (the 128x version) and I really like it. Cartoon-y and enjoyable, though the sheep are a little creepy in their shagginess.

Gerbster
21-09-2011, 04:09 AM
Yup Rob and I had this all evening, so when it continued with Drose and Des, I just gave up - and those trees needed punching damnit.

DRoseDARs
21-09-2011, 04:29 AM
I just realized: My 1-year anniversary with the uRPS Minecraft Community was this past Sunday. *puts on silly hat, blows party favor noise maker and waves a sparkler*

KirbyS
21-09-2011, 06:14 AM
I went on the server for a first time in a while just now, and truthfully, the old spawn memorial garden brought a tear to my eye. It was my first view of the server and I just flooded with memories of Jon, Zurry, Deliverance, and so many other urpians not known to newer members of the server :'(

Xerian
21-09-2011, 01:13 PM
I went on the server for a first time in a while just now, and truthfully, the old spawn memorial garden brought a tear to my eye. It was my first view of the server and I just flooded with memories of Jon, Zurry, Deliverance, and so many other urpians not known to newer members of the server :'(
And of those I only knew Jon. (Whom I sincerely do miss - Great lad, hope he'll be around someday.)
And I bloody love the memorial garden, its a great piece of work. So kudos to Elt, I say ;)

Comrade Commissar
21-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Haha Kirby!
You'll see!
One day Deliverance will return and build a giant wooden dome... again! :D

DRoseDARs
21-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Ah, I remember that. That was a fun night...

...in all the wrong ways. D:

TwinklinPixi3
22-09-2011, 10:16 AM
hmm, not sure I've seen this 'memorial garden'...

Comrade Commissar
22-09-2011, 06:57 PM
The pronounciation guy uploaded a bunch of new videos...
This is by far the best one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZVBTtX92Nc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Gabbaell
22-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Hi all, been playing single player for a while now but that gets a little boring after a while, so I'm here to ask if I can join the server please. Wubble69 was showing me around and the place looks most impressive. Would love to join in if I can.

gabbaell

KirbyS
22-09-2011, 10:54 PM
hmm, not sure I've seen this 'memorial garden'...
It is in the exact same place as where old spawn was. (Across from the clock tower)

DRoseDARs
23-09-2011, 05:53 AM
Okay, so I *think* the North border walk is complete; walked from the NW corner to the NE, so chunks should be done up there. Will edit this post as I walk the other borders. Takes a long while, but given updates are a while in between anyway should be fine time-wise.

Wubble69
23-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Hi all, been playing single player for a while now but that gets a little boring after a while, so I'm here to ask if I can join the server please. Wubble69 was showing me around and the place looks most impressive. Would love to join in if I can.

gabbaell

Hi Again!

Sorry we got cut off by those 8 creepers on our epic walk from Spawn down to the Southern hub.

Guys ... Gab turned up and was on server for about an hour. He identified himself as arriving from checking this thread and reading the post so he's probably not a Lone Wanderer looking for "teh frills."

Distrubingly He was also dressed up as a Creeper in a Suit. Although my suit is Black and his is clearly Navy Blue.

DRoseDARs
23-09-2011, 04:41 PM
I whitelisted him yesterday, just didn't post; should be good to go. Welcome to the server.

Gabbaell
23-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Distrubingly He was also dressed up as a Creeper in a Suit.

Yeah, a little bit of a fashion faux pas from me there. Rest assured, my stylist will be reprimanded accordingly.

And thanks DRoseDARs, I guess I'll see you all on the server.

Gerbster
23-09-2011, 08:20 PM
If I see you online give me a prod and I'll add you to the probation list. And welcome!

Gerbster
23-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Ah bugger, yet again I posted a reply to something on the previous page without realising there were more messages.
Got to stop using auto complete for the URL...

Gerbster
24-09-2011, 05:50 AM
OK Sirs, after approximately fifty seven years of threatening to do it, I finally created the Central Hub Network.
Below is a list of all the gates I moved and to where.

Cent Hub 1
- Bodington
- Breasthaven
- Cat. City
- Ceres
- ClubRed
- Giant Tree

Cent Hub 2
- Headingley
- NFS
- n00b castle
- Public Strg
- RustysYard

Cent Hub 3
- SavageStn
- slashernick
- Southseas
- SpleefArena
- Thanatos
- Xova Hovel

The only location I didn't move directly was New Place because ummm errr I dunno what the hell is going on with that :)

Note I had to hack into the RPS Market building so it is currently a bit fugly, but hopefully a certain Mr Weed will pop by and sort it out.

In the future, gates created within roughly 900m of the center of the world will be expected to be added to the Central Hub instead of one of the NESW hubs.

Any problems point them at me. Feel free to destroy any of my signs at the portals, I just wanted to let everyone know what had happened, and I know not everyone visits the forum these days.

Baka
24-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Just because it popped up in the list above me, what's up with noob castle currently?
Everytime I think the project is finally abandoned there's a little bit added someplace on its skeleton. Even after the last year of youtube videos it still manages to impress me when walking through it again, so I thought I finally ask here. :)

El Stevo
24-09-2011, 07:08 PM
It's donation time again!

As Jonbas is off on an adventure to Peru I'll be taking over payments. Please give what you can. Any surplus will go towards future payments. The donation link can be found as always at http://hgs279.hostedd.com/

Cheers!

DRoseDARs
26-09-2011, 09:05 AM
New map yeah yeah yeah!
http://www.mediafire.com/?1fbbl4k9x92x094
Based on the 25th September, 2011 backup
*Mediafire is being a twit, the file IS there I just downloaded it from that link to be sure.*

El Stevo
26-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Oh, wait, the bill got paid by money Jonbas added to the account. The HGS billing system is a little confusing to me.

Xerian
26-09-2011, 05:43 PM
It's donation time again!

As Jonbas is off on an adventure to Peru I'll be taking over payments. Please give what you can. Any surplus will go towards future payments. The donation link can be found as always at http://hgs279.hostedd.com/

Cheers!
Donated 40 bucks - Which is all I can amass till my dad gives me the 600-ish bucks he owes me ~_~
Edit: Enjoy, ofcourse! :P

Comrade Commissar
27-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Vanilla 1.7.3 because someone was asking:

http://www.mediafire.com/?alzaaqh5a7f18mp

KirbyS
29-09-2011, 12:54 AM
Just a spiffy way of downgrading minecraft:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/106402-tool-cyborgs-tools-mcnostalgia-104/

Gerbster
29-09-2011, 06:57 AM
I spent the evening placing distance markers on the south road for RPS Nova, South Hub and Mammalia.
From Weed's market to the Mammalia border control is 4.8km. Seeing as it is another 200m from there to Shrewbil, it means the total distance is 5km, despite the map coords only saying 3.3km. In the future I build straighter roads :)

I *believe* the new locations board outside the market exit is public, so feel free to stick up locations and directions as desired.

Gerbster
29-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Weed, thinking about it, how about you build a tourist office in the new area you have opposite the market?
I am thinking we have a wall for each direction, and in it people can post signs with publicity and directions - kinda like the board there now, but with more space for cooler things.

Comrade Commissar
30-09-2011, 12:50 AM
Hmm. Good idea.
I'm thinking of a pavillon in the middle of the park I was planning. How does that sound?

Gerbster
30-09-2011, 06:30 AM
Unless there is a particular reason to keep it secret, could someone post how to put colour into the signs please? :) They look very cool at night...

El Stevo
30-09-2011, 06:53 AM
You put &X before the text on a line, where X is a hex digit corresponding to the colour code.

DRoseDARs
01-10-2011, 07:15 AM
OneStrayBullet mentioned he's had trouble getting this sort of thing to work. I'm copy/pasting the one I use in the hopes it will help him and others. Jonbas taught me ages ago, but I failed to get it to work at first. Revisited my efforts when I got this new computer and I'm not sure what was different this time but it works now.

Copy/paste the two lines below into a new .txt file, change the bits that are relevant to your own install of java and the game (all four quote marks need to be included) as well as your available RAM, save as minecraft.bat to your desktop if you launch the game from there and run your new minecraft.bat file instead of the .exe launcher. To make its desktop icon minecraft-y, rightclick on it>properties>change icon...>point it at the minecraft.exe file (in my case, the minecraft.exe file in my \games\ folder) to get its picture.

@ECHO OFF
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\64\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx4096M -Xms4096M -jar "E:\Games\Minecraft\minecraft.jar"

That minecraft.jar should be the one that *is not* in the \.minecraft\bin\ folder, it should be the one residing with the minecraft.exe file (again in my case, in my \games\ folder). The game creates two different minecraft.jar files; I'm not well-versed enough to explain why, I only know the \.minecraft\bin\ one is the one I swap around and mess with between versions, and is the one I make clean backups of.

Regarding RAM memory: By dumb design WinXP can't really recognize RAM much beyond 3GB. I'm using 64bit Win7 (and yes 64bit Java), so don't have that issue; I don't know about the 32bit version but assume it wouldn't either unless Microsoft decided to repeat the mistake from WinXP.

Xerian
01-10-2011, 03:47 PM
I used to use said ... "Script" However, got rid of it ages ago after a clean reformat of my comp, which helped with the problem. I've been having alotta trouble with my java as of late again though, tried to use the very same script, but it only helped slightly. (And hell, did it the exact same way that you just described, so... :P)
-Also; I utterly miss Jon :/

rustyshakelford2
02-10-2011, 12:36 AM
The 32bit version of java is limited to 2gb per java process on all platforms.

DHP
02-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Maintenance Needed:

I went to use central hub 1, had one of those infinite falling glitches as I got there, and when I relogged the destination signs were lying on the ground. Suffice it to say, I have not the needed permissions to repair it myself.

The JG Man
02-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Hey guys.

Sorry I've been out for a bit, no internet at my place back at uni. What've I missed? Anything important and such? Hope you're having fun building!

Gerbster
02-10-2011, 07:36 PM
DHP - going on to repair now.
JG - haven't missed anything at all really.*

* We razed all of your area to the ground and filled it with creeper spawners. Just mentioning ;)

The JG Man
02-10-2011, 07:50 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo!

Ahem. Well, it had to be done, I'm sure.

Cough. What I really mean is, that's good to know. I'll try and pop on some time this week, but I want to give Space Marine a try (stupid Internet Activation required...) and I have a crapton of work. Which I really should expect in my final year, but there's a couple of modules I've jumped into the deep end with (course requirement) and they're gonna be real bitches.

Gerbster
02-10-2011, 08:09 PM
BTW guys if a portal dies like that, I *think* the only thing you need to do is reattach the sign in the right place then try using it to make the game think 'oh, I should probably list the destinations on this sign thingy'.
Certainly that is all that I do, but dunno if it works for non-mods.

Comrade Commissar
02-10-2011, 11:11 PM
So, I was saying 3 days ago that I would be on MC more frequent past the next 2 weeks, but guess what happened.

On the very first day of my vacations, my PCs mainboard died... Now I of course can't use my PC and there is no other computer at home, which is why I write this from an Internet Café. I hope I can get my hands onto a used mainboard really quick, as I can't afford a new PC right now (I was going to buy one later this year), but I also don't want to spend my savings for a new mainboard, as I won't be using this PC for a long time, anyways.

This said, I wish you happy building and I hope I'll get my PC working as soon as possible.

Gerbster
03-10-2011, 02:32 AM
Sorry to hear that Weed.

Today was cool, was fun to have us all beavering away together.
Also, 6 people on at once - amazing how much of a difference it all makes :)

Xerian
03-10-2011, 03:50 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo!

Ahem. Well, it had to be done, I'm sure.

Cough. What I really mean is, that's good to know. I'll try and pop on some time this week, but I want to give Space Marine a try (stupid Internet Activation required...) and I have a crapton of work. Which I really should expect in my final year, but there's a couple of modules I've jumped into the deep end with (course requirement) and they're gonna be real bitches.
http://nooooooooooooooo.com/
^ This ^
(Seems relevant for both the modules and the ugh... Creeper situation. Hope you'll survive it though! (Again, surviving both the modules aswell as the creepers. Eh.)

So, I was saying 3 days ago that I would be on MC more frequent past the next 2 weeks, but guess what happened.

On the very first day of my vacations, my PCs mainboard died... Now I of course can't use my PC and there is no other computer at home, which is why I write this from an Internet Café. I hope I can get my hands onto a used mainboard really quick, as I can't afford a new PC right now (I was going to buy one later this year), but I also don't want to spend my savings for a new mainboard, as I won't be using this PC for a long time, anyways.

This said, I wish you happy building and I hope I'll get my PC working as soon as possible.
Well, if you get a new motherboard / mainboard, then you could in theory, just get a new case aswell and build your new PC that way - Ofcourse the motherboard'd have to be compatible with both cases, but I doubt that'd be much of an issue... But then again, just sayin'. - Hope we'll see you around soon though - Good luck with it x]

Gerbster
03-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Um just to be clear, we haven't really touched JG's stuff...
Also Xerian, why are you obsessed with the word 'ugh' now? :)

DRoseDARs
03-10-2011, 08:42 PM
I bet he's wearing a pair of Uggs right now, too.

The JG Man
03-10-2011, 08:57 PM
I like to ugh while I Ugg.

And I know you haven't, I was just going along with it. That being said, you might not have done anything, but dem Creepers are clever. When I go back, who knows how many of them I'll find. Staring. At me. And my banjo. And Fry. (The person who gets not only where it's from but the episode wins my affection and a NINE PIECES OF DIRT!)

Gerbster
03-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Actually you surprised me yourself - while I was measuring the south road, I came across your latest construction to the south of Creeping Pines. Is always a lovely surprise to find new things unexpectedly.

Unless they are crap, of course.

Bonus points went to Red, who stumbled across a load of duped tools in an abandoned set of buildings and alerted us. We let him keep one and I chucked the rest into lava. Ace!

Gerbster
03-10-2011, 09:27 PM
and a NINE PIECES OF DIRT!)We were online the other day, and I asked Rob for a single block of cobble, which (I think) Doneazzo said was the saddest thing he'd ever seen on MC :)

Mollusc Infestation
03-10-2011, 09:43 PM
At me. And my banjo. And Fry.

Futurama, Branigan Begin Again, if i'm not mistaken. Although i could be mistaken. "And yourself i guess." Is that the same quote?

The JG Man
03-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Actually you surprised me yourself - while I was measuring the south road, I came across your latest construction to the south of Creeping Pines. Is always a lovely surprise to find new things unexpectedly.

I can't remember how finished it was, but I was planning on turning it into a sort of grove, with tall trees. I'll come on shortly and take a gander, but I honestly don't remember.

At me. And my banjo. And Fry.

Futurama, Branigan Begin Again, if i'm not mistaken. Although i could be mistaken. "And yourself i guess." Is that the same quote?

Sounds about right. You win my love, but more importantly, nine blocks of dirt!

Mollusc Infestation
03-10-2011, 11:15 PM
I can always use more dirt! It's useful for my secret musical project.

KirbyS
04-10-2011, 02:46 AM
This is a totally random post just so i get the 700th comment on this thread :D
EDIT: I combined the number of posts on the last (2nd) thread and this one, and the Urps2 community has made a total of about 1596 posts (if there are the same number of posts per page) :O

Comrade Commissar
05-10-2011, 01:26 AM
http://nooooooooooooooo.com/
^ This ^
(Seems relevant for both the modules and the ugh... Creeper situation. Hope you'll survive it though! (Again, surviving both the modules aswell as the creepers. Eh.)

Well, if you get a new motherboard / mainboard, then you could in theory, just get a new case aswell and build your new PC that way - Ofcourse the motherboard'd have to be compatible with both cases, but I doubt that'd be much of an issue... But then again, just sayin'. - Hope we'll see you around soon though - Good luck with it x]

Why would I buy a new case? This one is big enough. And I won't buy a super cool new mainboard, I'm just buying an used AM2+ socket board from eBay so that I can get my old PC running again. When I'll be building my new PC, it's going to be super ace.

This is what I plan to buy:

Coolermaster 690 II Midi Lite Case
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 Z68 LGA 1155 Mainboard
Intel Core i5 2500k CPU (I will overlock it to 4.0 GHz)
8 GB of DDR3 RAM
60 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD
1 GB Gainward GTX 560 Ti (The 570 is too expensive...)
And a 700W power supply

(And a heap of cooler fans, too. Even though Sandy Bridge CPUs tend to keep cool anyway.)

Mollusc Infestation
05-10-2011, 01:35 AM
Envy! My Core 2 Duo is really starting to show its age.

Comrade Commissar
05-10-2011, 02:06 AM
I know the feeling, my old PC with the broken mainboard has an AMD Athlon 64 X2. It's slowing down the whole system, but the now broken mainboard didnt fit anything better.

Anyways, it's going to take some time until I can get all the parts for my new PC, probably until February next year. I'm planning to buy it part by part, starting with the case and the mainboard...

P.S.:
My sister came back from a school trip and I can use her laptop from time to time now, it's crappy though. I stole it when she fell asleep, that's why I'm still posting. ;)

Xerian
05-10-2011, 04:25 PM
I know the feeling, my old PC with the broken mainboard has an AMD Athlon 64 X2. It's slowing down the whole system, but the now broken mainboard didnt fit anything better.

Anyways, it's going to take some time until I can get all the parts for my new PC, probably until February next year. I'm planning to buy it part by part, starting with the case and the mainboard...

P.S.:
My sister came back from a school trip and I can use her laptop from time to time now, it's crappy though. I stole it when she fell asleep, that's why I'm still posting. ;)
Thats... Nice. xD
You're a great brother, I say.

El Stevo
05-10-2011, 11:00 PM
There's currently a problem with Minecraft.net preventing anyone from connecting to any servers.

Edit: Working now

DRoseDARs
06-10-2011, 01:35 AM
I've never been a fan of Apple, but very saddened to hear Steve Jobs has passed. :(

Gerbster
06-10-2011, 02:54 AM
Poor timing as it came just after the iphone 4s which as far as i can tell disappointed completely everyone. Maybe a connection there? One of the guys who studied with me at uni around... 16 years ago was apple mad and bought as many shares as he could. I assume the jammy git made a fortune...

Gerbster
06-10-2011, 06:21 AM
Does anyone else here use or know about macs? I have a crappy mac mini and I want to try recording vids of me showing off bits of Mammalia. I have a program called screeny and the vids it produces are OK (all things considered!), but... it overlays its own cursor into the file, which of course means MC has it stuck in the middle of the bloody screen.

Am wondering if there are any free alternatives that work OK, and don't do silly things like that? This is for youtube, so miracles aren't needed, just a clean experience.

rustyshakelford2
06-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Does anyone else here use or know about macs? I have a crappy mac mini and I want to try recording vids of me showing off bits of Mammalia. I have a program called screeny and the vids it produces are OK (all things considered!), but... it overlays its own cursor into the file, which of course means MC has it stuck in the middle of the bloody screen.

Am wondering if there are any free alternatives that work OK, and don't do silly things like that? This is for youtube, so miracles aren't needed, just a clean experience.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox

This program has been the standard since the days of OS9, but its hardly free. There is a trial though.

I've never been a fan of Apple, but very saddened to hear Steve Jobs has passed. :(

I've been a part time mac user since age 3. More than anyone else, Steve was responsible for my love of computers. It's interesting how he passed the day after tim took the stage for the first time, I think he hung on just long enough to be sure that his company was in good hands.

J.B.
07-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Holy crap. I always assumed he was joking, but he just tweeted this (http://t.co/6tk0tWUf).

Gerbster
07-10-2011, 04:33 PM
So let's see - dragons. Hmm....
Why do I get the feeling they are going to blow fire at anything and everything, torching all your worlds.
Notch seems to dislike the notion of people 'just building'. It started with creepers (iconic, destructive, but you can work around them), followed by Endermen (insanely stupid), then new creative mode (don't wanna fight all the time? GTFO), and dragons.

If dragons aren't dangerous and destructive, what is the point of having them?
But then... the first time they raze a structure to the ground, all hell will break loose.

I am genuinely confused by the direction Notch wants to take the game - it is contrary to what made it popular.

Still, mods will be able to change it I am sure (fire breathing only hurts living things) if it turns out as silly as it might (or worse!).

Mollusc Infestation
07-10-2011, 05:08 PM
It's lovely to see new stuff in minecraft. It gives the modders some new things to muck about with. Same reason that i'm excited to see a new Elder Scrolls game.

El Stevo
07-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Well, fire can't destroy any blocks on our server. I did want to reenable it, but the unsafe building practices that are rife on the server would mean that half the buildings would burn down.

Gerbster
07-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Anyone capable of and care to make a latest 2D map of the server, pretty please?
If I could, I'd pull that sweet face the cat does from Shrek...

The JG Man
07-10-2011, 05:43 PM
I disagree Gerb. The game was always using building blocks to develop different aspects. The building part was nailed down first and obviously the adventure stuff now, but that doesn't mean you have to do both. That's part of the genius of Minecraft; it truly is open world in the sense that you can do a metric swear-ton of stuff and get your enjoyment out of only doing one particular thing.

That being said, hell yeah I want to build a castle and defend it from a dragon attack!! Colour me extremely excited.

Gerbster
07-10-2011, 07:05 PM
You wouldn't be saying that about doing both if we had endermen activated on the server :)
And now you have a reason to get back on the server and build!

rustyshakelford2
07-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Anyone capable of and care to make a latest 2D map of the server, pretty please?
If I could, I'd pull that sweet face the cat does from Shrek...

Ill start rendering one now. Im headed to work so it wont be up for 6 hours or so.

Gerbster
07-10-2011, 10:04 PM
I HEART RUSTY.

BTW houses are up for grabs in Skullbread (going fast!) and possibly also some in Cathedral City (ask Phy or Twink).

Also expect to see Mammalia Embassies cropping up in major towns across the map, all to be connected via the all-new Town Net.

DRoseDARs
07-10-2011, 10:57 PM
I was going to say unless someone beats me to it I'd render a map tonight, but Rusty seems to have beaten me to it. ;)

Yeah, as Elt said, fire-spreading is nerfed so destruction via that route is not a concern. Remains to be seen if they spit fireballs instead that explode like Ghasts' do which would be a problem obviously; also player damage from dwagons is likely despite no fire-spreading which I'm fine with.

As for Endermen block-molestation, Notch did indeed tone it down a... notch. *sorry* According to the wiki, as of b19pre2 they molest: Grass, dirt, sand, gravel, red and yellow flowers, red and brown mushrooms, TNT, cactus, clay, pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns, melons, and mycelium (mushroom biome block). That number is down by a lot from their initial introduction and except for TNT and j-o-ls none are player-fashioned blocks or typical advanced building materials, so cobble dicktowers are safe. XD

Gerbster
08-10-2011, 12:21 AM
So basically now as long as we don't use any of the blocks you listed Drose, endermen won't do anything.
That is to say, we have to limit ourselves in the future, as well as changing everything we have already used.

Now if Notch were REALLY clever (ok, that's not the reason he'd never do this) each block would have a flag that said if it had been changed or not, and any changed block couldn't be touched. But then again, if they can't screw up our creations, what is the point? Or to put it in another light, why did Notch create something whose sole purpose is to piss off builders?

I will still vote for disabling them entirely. Them moving sand alone would enable them to destroy our entire desert town :(

I am hoping dragons aren't just a very rare mob, but that they require summoning, or only live in very specific locations (mountain lairs, for example) so assuming they ARE damaging (which does seem likely) we can avoid them completely if wanted, and just head out on expeditions to take those suckers down (presumably by hiding behing rocks and creating an ambush by covering Xerian in steaks and tying him to a tree trunk :) ).

There's a reason I never build anything in the nether (and it isn't cos it is boring in there!). I don't want to see my hard work negated by a few Ghasts, or have to just build stuff out of stone and enclose everything entirely.

*sigh*

:D

Mollusc Infestation
08-10-2011, 12:42 AM
I wonder how difficult it would be to program endermen to plant flowers instead of moving blocks. I could certainly live with that.

Comrade Commissar
08-10-2011, 02:06 AM
Hello folks, I am just checking in on what's going on and to say that I might play with you again, soon.
I ordered a new mainboard and it should be here by tomorrow, so that I'll only have to put the old CPU on the new board and then be able to play games again.

If there are still houses in Skullbread, I'd like to take one, so that I can decorate it when I'm back in the game.

Also: Did you start working on the Embassy in Ullapool already, Gerb?

Gerbster
08-10-2011, 02:08 AM
Scotland? Not yet. I have done them in Cathedral City and Skullbread, but the height restriction in Scotland means I need a slight rethink, but it is next on my list :)

Also I think the houses are all taken, so just annoy Eltagno until he builds some more - demand appears to be high, and it has been nice to build around everyone else lately.

Maybe we should consider the same idea in Mammalia :)

Robert Swan
08-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Some inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad8IJGkFxuw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsdwOjaUc-o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsxXcyV7xm8

Gerbster
08-10-2011, 05:22 PM
First vid is definitely the best - by the third some of the builds were a bit shite :)
Rob - what about the sky wizard place? I do want to build something in the sky, tis true!

El Stevo
08-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Some inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxxGjTnJmVk

rustyshakelford2
08-10-2011, 07:38 PM
So the power went out while I was rendering the map last night. I just went to try it again, any I get a black screen with a cursor after I login. Ill do the new map once i fix it/give up and reinstall everything.

TwinklinPixi3
09-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Guys - got a favour to ask of you :)

Next time your around Cathedral City, could you take a couple of screenshots of different bits for me please? I want to see what it looks like with the different packs / skins etc to make sure it all looks as I intend :) Now, obviously don't bother if you just use the Minecraft standard set up :)

Thanks xxx

DRoseDARs
10-10-2011, 12:42 AM
Guys - got a favour to ask of you :)

Next time your around Cathedral City, could you take a couple of screenshots of different bits for me please? I want to see what it looks like with the different packs / skins etc to make sure it all looks as I intend :) Now, obviously don't bother if you just use the Minecraft standard set up :)

Thanks xxx

OK, as I mentioned earlier I'm using Sphax's PureBDCraft 128x (the version for b19pre2), so here's an album of what I see in Cathedral City:
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/DRoseDARs/uRPS2/Cathedral%20City%20-%20uRPS2/

Comrade Commissar
10-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Guess what. When I was about to install my new mainboard yesterday, I noticed my CPU is broken, too. I already figured as much, but didn't have a way to test it. So now I have to buy a new CPU, too. Expect me to start playing MC again later this week, when the CPU has arrived and I can finally fix this stupid computer.

rustyshakelford2
10-10-2011, 02:43 AM
So i got my computer working again and i've been trying to render the map. The last few backups all crash cartograph_g with no error message. I've tried pixelmap, but it seems to output nothing. I'll fight with it more and see where I get.

DRoseDARs
10-10-2011, 02:55 AM
I'll get started on a carto one, pixel hasn't worked for me with this server for a while now sadly.

Edit: Huh, ok. Carto did the same thing to me. Ima try something else.

rustyshakelford2
10-10-2011, 03:59 AM
I'll get started on a carto one, pixel hasn't worked for me with this server for a while now sadly.

Edit: Huh, ok. Carto did the same thing to me. Ima try something else.

Well good, at least its not just me. Mcmap still works, but it outputted a png file that is nearly 300mb. I don't have enough ram to open it. Its not a flat map either. I'll try some more programs, a few look promising.

DRoseDARs
10-10-2011, 04:25 AM
Speaking of not just you, I gave PixelMap a shot and it just took a dump on me. "Reached allocation limit. Try again with cache parameter --cache." I've never had that error before and the damn thing reached 100% render when it barfed that out at me. -_-

rustyshakelford2
10-10-2011, 04:31 AM
Speaking of not just you, I gave PixelMap a shot and it just took a dump on me. "Reached allocation limit. Try again with cache parameter --cache." I've never had that error before and the damn thing reached 100% render when it barfed that out at me. -_-

Yep, thats exactly what I got. There were some nice looking rendering programs that didn't provide binaries, i'll see if I can get them to compile tomorrow.

DHP
10-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Here's what cat city looks like to me....

http://s976.photobucket.com/albums/ae250/rgbfreak/MineCraft/CatCity/?albumview=slideshow

TwinklinPixi3
10-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Both Drose and DHP, thank you so much for that :) So far, couldn't be happier :) DHP, what skins / etc are you using, I love how the cobble looks on your set up :)

rustyshakelford2
10-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Success!

New flat map: http://db.tt/AAneR3Fv
New oblique map: http://db.tt/93CArUol

I used a different rewrite of cartographer, so they look just like the ones i've been doing. The only problem is that there are some weird black spots in certain areas. Any idea what those could be? There are a bunch near some of the southern roads. Tall grass perhaps?

Gerbster
10-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Drose - I'm not a big fan of your tex pack, but there are a few major wins in there - particularly the pine leaf block, makes such a difference! Also something kept bugging me and it took me ages to suss out what the prob was - you have the mod that makes the side of single height different grass blocks be covered in the normal grass texture :)

Gerbster
10-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Success!

New flat map: http://db.tt/AAneR3Fv
New oblique map: (uploading now)

I used a different rewrite of cartographer, so they look just like the ones i've been doing. The only problem is that there are some weird black spots in certain areas. Any idea what those could be? There are a bunch near some of the southern roads. Tall grass perhaps?Lovely! Rusty, that must be grass, it is all over the place. Just need to tweak the colour codes (no idea how it is done, with an image?) and all will be well in the future I reckon.

rustyshakelford2
10-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Lovely! Rusty, that must be grass, it is all over the place. Just need to tweak the colour codes (no idea how it is done, with an image?) and all will be well in the future I reckon.

All I have is a precompiled executable, so I guess its up to the author to fix it. The source is available, but its written in c++ and my programming knowledge is mostly java related.

TwinklinPixi3
10-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Got a trial mumble server on the go guys for the next couple of weeks -

Host name : georgeistired.mumble.com
Port : 9080

Join me!

Wubble69
10-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Lovely! Rusty, that must be grass, it is all over the place. Just need to tweak the colour codes (no idea how it is done, with an image?) and all will be well in the future I reckon.

Whatever it is, it is right by those snail tracks you leave behind you wherever you go.

Maybe each black dot represents a dog you've tamed to deprive the rest of us :)

Gerbster
10-10-2011, 08:18 PM
All I have is a precompiled executable, so I guess its up to the author to fix it. The source is available, but its written in c++ and my programming knowledge is mostly java related.Ah Ok, I thought the programs used an external image for the colours, something similar to a scaled down (!) version of the texture with each block represented by a single pixel.
If you have link to the program you use, I can take a prod.

Wubble - you say that but at least I let them roam free. Try visiting doneazzo's castle - he has 50 or so all shut inside the keep!

The JG Man
10-10-2011, 08:27 PM
I disapprove of the maps. I used to be able to find my valley due to the pine. RUINED FOREVER. GOOD DAY!

...I'll be on after some TV later.

rustyshakelford2
10-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Ah Ok, I thought the programs used an external image for the colours, something similar to a scaled down (!) version of the texture with each block represented by a single pixel.
If you have link to the program you use, I can take a prod.

Wubble - you say that but at least I let them roam free. Try visiting doneazzo's castle - he has 50 or so all shut inside the keep!

Most of them do, but this one does not.

http://toolchain.eu/project/c10t

Gerbster
11-10-2011, 12:41 AM
Most of them do, but this one does not.

http://toolchain.eu/project/c10tTake a look at this: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/31133-mapper-c10t/page__st__1040__p__8250071#entry8250071
In particular posts 1052 and 1054 - it might be what you are looking for.

The JG Man
11-10-2011, 12:55 AM
This one's for you Gerb. ("http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197980472955/screenshot/577810212205136232)

DRoseDARs
11-10-2011, 01:14 AM
Drose - I'm not a big fan of your tex pack, but there are a few major wins in there - particularly the pine leaf block, makes such a difference! Also something kept bugging me and it took me ages to suss out what the prob was - you have the mod that makes the side of single height different grass blocks be covered in the normal grass texture :)

Your loss, but I know you and Rob prefer to build in default so you know everyone can see exactly the same thing. Also, I'm not using any such mod. I believe what you're seeing is some setting from the mcpatcher that allows for HD texture packs. Sphax has a number of different resolutions of his pack available, from the default 16x all the way up to I think 512x, it's just the 128x that gets his preferential attention. You should grab a copy of the 16x and see if you like anything in there still like the pine needles, if so you can Gimp\Photoshop them into your terrain.png or whichever appropriate file. I didn't like the 16x variant much myself, but that's more because Painterly will always be my favorite at that resolution. :)

Rusty, congrats on finally beating the render creepers blowing up your computer. :)
I'm almost positive the black spots are as you say the tall grass. I spammed the area around Highgarden Valley out east (shameless plug) and I can see tons of it.

Gerbster
11-10-2011, 01:25 AM
Drose I think you have the bettergrass thing enabled in the patcher - I seem to recall it was one of the options there.