PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to mechwarrior?

Simon
04-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Honestly you use to see tons of these games but now its like white dog poo you just dont see them any more i remember playing mw4 and mech commander. they need to bring this ip back right now!

Spacewalk
04-06-2011, 07:01 AM
All the giant stompy robot games are mostly on consoles and in Japanese arcades these days. There was that Front Mission Evolved, the re-release of Mechwarrior 4 and that mod for Crysis but that looks like it's pretty much it until Hawken unless there were a couple of strategy titles that I don't know of. They really do need to bring back these types of games, Mechwarrior 2 and Heavy Gear and maybe Starsiege were three games that made me glad that I owned a PC.

coldvvvave
04-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Whatn about Mechwarrior 5?

Is it still in development?

Riaktion
04-06-2011, 08:28 AM
I also have this same question rattling around my head space. We all saw the trailer for MW5 right? With the Atlas in the city?

Since then.... nothing.. maybe the hivemind could dig something up?

Rii
04-06-2011, 10:20 AM
I think it's dead.

Heliocentric
04-06-2011, 10:25 AM
The trillionaire who was funding games cut the funding when his real life mech development bore fruit.

Nullkigan
04-06-2011, 10:31 AM
The Smith&Tinker MW5 "Atlas and Jenner in the City" trailer was shot from the perspective of a Warhammer, which you see briefly. The Warhammer is one of the Unseen mechs, whose design is taken from a Japanese animated show. From Macross, I think?

Now I have to start working from memory, and as I've never really researched the problem, this is going to be wrong in places.

The rights to the Unseen designs, at least in the US, uncertain thanks to a little company known as Harmony Gold who have an infamously rabid legal team. As such, the game has probably been C&D'd hard. It's actually debateable whether or not Harmony Gold still have the exclusive license to the designs, but they've been such a powerful force on the legal front that it's never really been questioned in court. It may also be the case that FASA (creators of Battletech and Mechwarrior) did actually try to buy the rights to the designs, but Harmony Gold threw a hissy fit, despite having bought their own rights from a child company, and caused the deal to go south.

As far as I know, development is continuing but S&T are keeping mum about the whole thing, in part due to the legal action. It'd be a real shame if the unseen were not included, or replaced by some less iconic designs, because a lot of the Mechs in the ?3015? (way, way earlier than the Clans!) Davion-Liao wars the game is shooting for were Unseen.

Until something gives way, you can always get a copy of Crysis Wars (bundled with Warhead) and play Living Legends. It has no singleplayer, and right now everyone has a hard-on for the terrible deathmatch arena game mode, but a good round of territory control is incredibly awesome.