PDA

View Full Version : The Cricket Thread

Rakysh
04-06-2011, 07:15 AM
So, England are currently 342-6, a fairly good showing with strong knocks from Prior, Morgan, Bell and Cook. I reckon Prior and Broad will take a fair bit of winkling out, to be honest, 450 or so is on the cards given that Swann can bat a bit, and Tremlett's usually good for a four or two. The Sri Lankan bowling attack is not up to much, as well. Thoughts, banter, and discussion on the game of kings goes here.

xhodgk
04-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Ahh indeed the game of kings, a good a place as any for my first post.

Aye - Morning session should be fun. Certainly a batting pitch given how easily Morgan & Prior scored, but on the flip-side that Lankan top order is strong. I have backed the draw @3.2. The sun is out, the pitch is flat

Stense
04-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Its a great day for cricket today! Reading the running text commentry on the TMS site yesterday kept me (semi-)sane at work yesterday. The discussion on what Boycott would have a tattoo of was a particular highligh.

Seems like honours were shared between both sides for most of yesterday, but I guess England finished the happier with the way they finished. A shame Cook didn't get his century, but it was nice to see him and Bell continue their form. Sounds like Morgan and Prior really put the foot down with the scoring. Hopefully Prior and Broady can do similary today. I agree that Sri Lanka's bowling attack seems to lack teeth at the moment, but I'd expect their batters to really do well on this pitch. I fancy an English win though.

Gerbick
04-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Good start this morning. If Broad and Prior don't go postal, then a 450+ score is on. Although Sri Lanka have a decent batting line-up, I can see England ripping a few wickets early on with the GIANT MEN bowling. That said, Swann will be key to keeping them at bay, tight at one end with the odd wicket, let the GIANT MEN rotate and keep the aggression up.

Rakysh
04-06-2011, 11:32 AM
I agree, we might be able to make them bat twice, which would be nice. Broad is basically an all rounder, to be honest, and Swann should post at least 20 with these bowlers. I can't wait to see the GIANT MEN bowling, apparently the wicket looks a bit faster today. The Sri Lankans look pretty down hearted tbh, nothing like the fight they had in them yesterday morning.

Gerbick
04-06-2011, 11:53 AM
And since posting that, Broad and Swann are out. Go Tremmers...

Rakysh
04-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Hehe, I know, cursed them like the fool I am. Still, I imagine their brief was to post some runs quickly. Tremlett and Finn will be more careful. [/hopeful]

Stense
04-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Prior knows how to make the most of a partnership with the tail enders, should get a decent amount added onto the score if he stays around. His century has been great.

Gerbick
05-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Oh. Things haven't gone to plan. Dilshan is rather good. I hate the fact that home tests (in the very least) aren't on terrestial tv. Would love to have it on in the background. With the TMS commentary, natch.

Ian
06-06-2011, 10:47 AM
The current forecast for play resuming is "not before lunch", apparently.

EDIT: Well, they're still ending with a tasty total but at least we're (in theory!) on the verge of getting them out.

moth bones
06-06-2011, 07:36 PM
20 to turn up tomorrow.

*Ponders*

Ian
16-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Whoop whoop. Sri Lanka's top three all gone.

Rakysh
16-06-2011, 04:15 PM
I'll start dancing once the Jaywardenes are out.

squareking
16-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Wickets! Bowlers! Funny-looking bats!

That's the extent of my knowledge on cricket.

Rakysh
16-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Not a bad day, feel like we could have got a few more wickets. Tomorrow should be nicer, and I can see us batting by the end of the first session.

Stense
19-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Seemed like a good afternoons play yesterday, once the showers had faded away. Really nice innings from KP to help the team on into what could be a significant first innings lead. He only seemed to play one bad shot that I saw, I guess he just wanted toget to his century that evening. Bit silly, but a fine a innings none the less.

Looks like Monday will be a wet day again, so England will really want to push on to get a good lead and put the Sri Lankans in.

Thwap
20-06-2011, 02:40 AM
Looking for England to push on tomorrow, dodging the showers and nipping out the last few wickets to take the series with a very well-deserved 2-0 scoreline. Sri Lanka have looked decidedly threadbare without M&M.

Then it's off to Brizzle next Saturday for some "hit n'giggle" in the T20 - double header, the England Women play Australia in the morning.

Ian
01-08-2011, 03:44 PM
I think England might win this, y'know.

Call me crazy.

ComradePenguin
01-08-2011, 04:06 PM
As a man whose heritage could put him in either camp I've been really disappointed with India so far. I know they have a number of players out but the attitude has been a bit rubbish. Whenever they've been behind in a game they've just looked despondent and lacking in effort. That said England have been consistently excellent throughout both tests. I fear all that is left in this test is to see if the tail can stay with Tendulkar long enough to give him a chance at a 100.

Ian
12-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Dhoni is the only India player to have scored more runs in their first innings than England have currently got from extras in this innings.

Lol'd.

duff
12-08-2011, 08:49 PM
extras has come on leaps and bounds this year, not the most flamboyant batsman but he judges the ball well and knows his capabilities. Bopara will be pissed to see another competitor.

Stense
13-08-2011, 08:25 AM
That was quite an innings from Mr Cook. A shame he couldn't get an extra 6 to get the 300 (because you know, 294 is rubbish), but an incredibly well fought innings. He is having a fantastic year or so.
Its looking like England should be winning this one and getting to the number one spot. A shame that its against an Indian side holding a few injuries and not at its best, but its proving to be a fascinating series so far.

Stense
13-08-2011, 08:26 AM
extras has come on leaps and bounds this year, not the most flamboyant batsman but he judges the ball well and knows his capabilities. Bopara will be pissed to see another competitor.

There was a comment in the TMS live text commentry yesterday that made me chuckle. Someone texted in with a comment suggesting Strauss declare only once that man Extras gets his century as he'd been doing so well.

Ian
13-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Poor old Sachin. :D

CuervoJoe
14-08-2011, 12:52 PM
England are World Number 1
:D :D :D :D

duff
14-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Cook is an absolute legend, 294 after scoring literally a million runs against australia in the winter. If he can maintain his form he will be one of the greatest scoring batsmen of all time.

laneford
21-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Rahul Dravid, has just carried his bat, unbeaten, to 140 throughout a firestorm collapse of an Indian Innings, and now because they're following on, he's got to do it all again.

That team is an utter shambles but the man is a hero.

Kade
08-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Good posting.
I think England could have got a few more wickets. Tomorrow should be nicer, and I can see us batting by the end of the first session.