PDA

View Full Version : Need a new mouse

Ice-Fyre
01-02-2013, 03:25 PM
My 7 year old Microsof 5 button intellimouse is finally giving up :-( So I need a new one, but I want something more sensitive. I'm willing to spend around the 60 mark. It needs side buttons and be good for gaming.

Any ideas? I aint got much of a clue about mice, as this one has lasted so long lol

Jesus_Phish
01-02-2013, 03:27 PM
This (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharkoon-Fireglider-Laser-Mouse-Black/dp/B003C4FW7C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359732371&sr=8-1) has served me for about five years now and it's cheaper than anything you'l get from Razer and does everything you'll probably want. It just isn't a well known name brand.

As you can see it's pretty highly rated, has 7 buttons, you can adjust the weight and the dpi. You can change dpi on the fly. You get a software package that allows you to rebind the buttons and assign macros to buttons as well and it has built in memory so you can store your settings on the mouse. You get a bag to carry it around in too.

Jams O'Donnell
01-02-2013, 03:45 PM
I use a G9x and I love it. It's not the cheapest, but I've had it since 2007 and it's still going strong.

That said, the features Jesus_Phish mentions for the Sharkoon mouse are similar to what the G9x has, and it's about half the price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-910-001153-G9x-Laser-Mouse/dp/B001RQAMIG/ref=sr_1_30?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1359733445&sr=1-30

Sakkura
01-02-2013, 03:47 PM
How about a Logitech G500 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-G500-Gaming-Mouse-Cable/dp/B002LVTP6Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1359733405&sr=1-2). It's the successor to the good old G5.

db1331
01-02-2013, 04:03 PM
I used a G500 for a while and liked it. I just recently moved my PC to the living room though and went completely wireless and got a G7. They are both great mice, although the thumb buttons on the G7 are pretty poorly placed and take some getting used to. A friend of mine who has been playing shooters much longer than me swears by his RAT mouse. It's one of those ones where the entire mouse is customizable, so you can make it fit your hand perfectly.

If I were you though, the first thing I would do would be to go somewhere like a Best Buy or even a Staples where they have rows of mice out for you to test. Put your hand on one and see what you like, then check for better prices online.

trjp
01-02-2013, 04:07 PM
The only mouse you need is the Logitech G400 (the upgraded version of the all-time-classic MX 518)

Smidge over 20 - mine is in it's 4th year and still clicks perfectly (tho the feet are showing a bit of wear - they're replaceable if I really wanted to tho)

Wireless? SHIT I tell you - SHIT - don't even go there.

and Razer? RAZER? The company who puts DRM in it's HARDWARE - they're for mugs...

p.s. put the 40 you'll save towards a really expensive and VERY worthwhile mech. sw. keyboard :)

Sakkura
01-02-2013, 04:55 PM
The only mouse you need is the Logitech G400 (the upgraded version of the all-time-classic MX 518)

Psh, the G500 is the upgraded version of the even bigger classic, the G5!

Pretty scary to look around and find reviews of the second version of the G5 dated 2007. No wonder the paint has peeled a bit on my original version G5 (recently replaced, but I keep it around as, hmm, a family heirloom?).

Edit: As for mechanical keyboards, CM Storm Quickfire TK. You won't regret it (unless you pick the wrong color of Cherry MX switch - there are versions with Red, Blue and Brown).

trjp
01-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Yea the CM Storm is a good buy IF you can get one with the right switches (what's available varies by country and some suppliers have differing stock so check CAREFULLY)

Alternatively just go nuts and buy a Ducky or a Filco - it's 100-120 really, really, really well spent IMO because it's not on stupid LED displays you don't need and macro keys you daren't use but on QUALITY

and lighting and cool keycaps :)

Boris
01-02-2013, 08:33 PM
I have the Logitech G9. While the cover is showing quite some wear it's still a good mouse. For my laptop I use Logitech's cheapest laser mouse and it's also great.

I really want a good mechanical keyboard, but they're so expensive. :(

trjp
04-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Ifit makes you ffeel any better a good mechanical keyboard will last 10 years - my record for non mechs is 5 and most are dead in 3 or less

They're the price of a decent house, cheaper than a cpu and so on....

Boris
04-02-2013, 10:15 PM
I'm using a 20 year old rubber dome one right now. It's a hand-me-down, only supports PS/2. I've had it for around 14 years now, and I've typed a lot on it. So I feel I can spring for a nice daskeyboard or something, but I also really want an SSD, and I really want to upgrade my machine as well. And I only have a finite amount of money :(

The JG Man
04-02-2013, 10:27 PM
After advice on here before, I bought the Roccat Kova+ (http://www.amazon.co.uk/ROCCAT-Kova-Performance-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B004E4FY4U/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1360016595&sr=1-1). Comes in under 40, feels really comfortable, 2 side buttons on each side, variable DPI settings (400, 800, 1600 - one I use and 3200), can re-map button usage and comes with some software to allow you to make different button profiles for something like 10 different set-ups, if you should so desire (I haven't, but I suppose it's nice to know it's there). Importantly for me, but I'm guessing 90% here this won't be a concern, but it's slightly V-shaped so it's not set-up for any hand in particular. I haven't had it long enough to say "I've had it for years", but it's been well over 6 months now and I've had no problems with it whatsoever.

Also, it lights up!

trjp
04-02-2013, 10:41 PM
I've used a Kova - I think - it was that or a Kone, whichever is the bigger one

Lovely mouse and it was ambi which was great

Were I right-handed tho, the G400/MX518 just feels a bit more solid to me - feels like it should last a bit longer.

It's not really an objective test but they have Roccat mice in the local PC World and they're knackered just from people trying them out (probably a stressful experience!) wheras the Logitechs are 100% perfect

TheIronSky
12-02-2013, 03:17 AM
Obligatory R.A.T. 7 recommendation.

I play(ed) a ludicrous amount of games (I did in the past and I will again once I get my new computer) and this mouse has been absolutely phenomenal. Well-built, completely adjustable in terms of length, width, weight and responsiveness, and I could not be happier with it. Yes, it's expensive, but it comes with quite a few goodies and it's well worth it.

And it has your hotkeys, side buttons, lights, precision-aiming buttons, on-the-fly sensitivity adjustment, different hotkey profiles for different games, horizontal scroll, and just about everything else. It's wonderful.

http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat7.htm

trjp
12-02-2013, 03:51 AM
The problem is - you'd never tell anyone, outside of gaming, that you owned that thing, would you?

I mean, does your car have 2 bin-lid sized exhausts, "stanced and slammed" suspension, a spoiler than 4 people could eat dinner at and neons!? - because that's what the RAT is, in mouse terms.

It's a giant, light-up pink dildo of pointing solutions :)

TheIronSky
12-02-2013, 04:53 AM
The problem is - you'd never tell anyone, outside of gaming, that you owned that thing, would you?

I mean, does your car have 2 bin-lid sized exhausts, "stanced and slammed" suspension, a spoiler than 4 people could eat dinner at and neons!? - because that's what the RAT is, in mouse terms.

In the words of The Big Lebowski, "That's just like, uh, your opinion, man."

Berzee
12-02-2013, 08:46 PM
This is my favorite mouse; very sturdy, precise, and does not require a flat surface on account of it's a thumb-driven trackball.
(After using it for a little while it becomes easily as good as a mouse for games, and sometimes better, I have found).

Logitech M570 Trackball (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-001799-M570-Wireless-Trackball/dp/B0043T7FXE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360701883&sr=8-3&keywords=trackman+marble)

Winged Nazgul
13-02-2013, 01:02 PM

Looks can be deceiving.

Someone whose opinion I trust for level-headedness (was in a WAR guild with her way back in the day), actually gushes about its ergonomics:

http://stylishcorpse.wordpress.com/2013/01/28/i-can-haz-rat/

SirDavies
14-02-2013, 02:50 AM
I've had the Razer Imperator for a while and it's all good. I am no expert though.

White
14-02-2013, 07:01 AM
Ya..in games equiment and tools paly key role to the game more enjoyable. However, I recommened you Razer Mamba Wireless Laser Gaming Mouse. You must try it really nice mouse.

Tech Ability

1/14 Brooke Ave Palm Beach, QLD 4221 Australia
Phone: +61 7 5657 0870
techability.com.au

Having computer problems? We repair computers in your home. Tech Ability offer

fast, effective and fully guaranteed computer repairs, in your home.
computer repairs (http://techability.com.au/)

trjp
14-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Someone said wireless - close the thread, the children have arrived...

Ice-Fyre
18-02-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm think I might go with the Logitech G9x. Thanks for all the replies!

Sic
18-02-2013, 01:07 PM
I'll just stop you right there.

Don't get the G9x, it uses the Avago 9500 sensor, and I'm hearing it's not a particularly good implementation of it (not to mention the 9500 is a bit rubbish to begin with, as it has positive acceleration issues).

You're looking for a good implementation of the Avago 3888 sensor (like in the Deathadder or the Abyssus). It's the most accurate (modern) sensor. Plain and simple.

A few facts: (1) In general laser sensors are rubbish, optical sensors are not. (2) There are very few good sensors, there is a reason a lot of people still use old Microsoft mice (still stellar sensor quality and implementation). (3) When in doubt, don't buy Logitech.

Sakkura
18-02-2013, 01:12 PM
(3) When in doubt, don't buy Logitech.
You mean Razer.

trjp
18-02-2013, 01:40 PM
You mean Razer.

Not buying Logitech rules-out buying the best mouse in the world so it's clearly bollocks :)

Feldspar
18-02-2013, 02:21 PM
I hope we're not getting into the point where a discussion just breaks down into a brand-loyalty war.

I was looking at getting something like/in the price bracket of the Logitech G300, should I be getting this or something else? Bear in mind I cannot use a right-handed mouse (and the suggestion that I should re-train isn't worth considering).

trjp
18-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Lefties/Ambis should look at the Roccat mice - they do a really nice (I forget the exact model) ambi mouse with a decent sensor and a load of buttons (as the extras are replicated on both sides)

It's not really brand-loyalty either - I hate Logi keyboards but the MX518 and it's successor are simply fantastic devices at a sensible price, I cannot even begin to think why you'd pay more for the gimmicky junk some people think they need (12 buttons - sensors which are far more details than you'd ever need, weights you'll never use and so on)

Sic
18-02-2013, 10:23 PM
This isn't really a discussion. Some sensors are better than others. Some sensors outputs the incorrect data, some outputs the correct.

By the way, I said don't buy Logitech in general. The G400 has an excellent sensor (I hope that's the mouse you're referring to).

It's not really brand-loyalty either - I hate Logi keyboards but the MX518 and it's successor are simply fantastic devices at a sensible price, I cannot even begin to think why you'd pay more for the gimmicky junk some people think they need (12 buttons - sensors which are far more details than you'd ever need, weights you'll never use and so on)

I completely agree. I hate most of the mice out there. Most of the Razer mice are quite horrible. They do have a better percentage hit/miss ratio with their line up, though, simply because they have two mice with the Avago 3888 sensor.

If you're after stellar performance, you basically have to choose whatever mouse that has a sensor that isn't faulty. The Avago 9500 is borderline so, in my opinion. Some people have a higher tolerance for things like acceleration, but I see no reason to go for a lower quality sensor as long as the shape of the mouse is OK for you. I may seem like an elitist ass by saying this, but I wish you could have the opportunity to experience several mice side by side and do specific motions in, say, Photoshop/Paint. Until you do, you really don't understand how broken most of these sensors (and their implementations) are.

The Abyssus is made for both left and right handed people, it's cheap and it has the best sensor available. It's also perfect for claw grip (it's small), and it's light. The only thing that isn't particularly good about it is the rubberised surface of the standard edition (which changes after use, it gets very sticky). Unless you like sticky mice, the Mirror Edition is probably a better bet.

Of course, some people don't like to claw grip the mouse, and some people don't like smaller mice, but great performance is hard to find. If you're on the lookout for a specific size and shape, read up on the sensor before buying. There might exist a few mice outside of the usual suspects that have a sensor worth a damn, I haven't read up on every single one, but in general: it's hard to find mice with good sensors.

If shape and size is more important to you than performance, then you're more than welcome to buy a mouse with a rubbish sensor. It's up to you.

Herzog
18-02-2013, 11:51 PM
From personal use I would recommend the Razer Deathadder which I have been using for years now. There is also a new "2013" edition.

If I would buy a new gaming mouse right now, it would be the Zowie AM. I am always lurking in some Quake forums and people seem to be happy with it. And these people are very special when it comes to gaming mice.

Faldrath
19-02-2013, 12:23 AM
To add anedoctal evidence to the thread, I am a lefty with large hands, I currently use a Razer Abyssus and I quite like it so far. Plus, there's no need for the software bloat that fancier Razer stuff tries to install.

trjp
19-02-2013, 12:40 AM
To add anedoctal evidence to the thread, I am a lefty with large hands, I currently use a Razer Abyssus and I quite like it so far. Plus, there's no need for the software bloat that fancier Razer stuff tries to install.

You realise that without the software you're not really making use of the expensive mouse you've installed.

You have, in effect, got a standard optical mouse, perhaps with the ability to switch resolution on the sensor at best!?!?

Faldrath
19-02-2013, 01:10 AM
Nah, the Abyssus is Razer's entry level mouse, so you only get a couple of options to switch resolution and poll rating, and those are physical switches on the mouse itself. So it's not expensive, it works well, and there's no need to install drivers :)

trjp
19-02-2013, 01:54 AM
I'm pretty sure that the increased polling/bandwidth on Razer mice requires their own drivers to make use of it - otherwise it's being treat as a standard USB mouse.

I could be wrong - maybe in W7/W8 it's a proper driver already? It DEFINATELY wasn't in XP and early Vista tho

Sic
19-02-2013, 02:32 AM
It doesn't need the Razer drivers. In fact, as far as I know, Razer doesn't install any actual drivers, they use the Windows ones. All that is installed is bloat software.

In any case, everything you need is on the physical mouse itself.

trjp
19-02-2013, 11:29 PM
Razer will need some drivers to support higher poll rates, any buttons beyond left/right/middle (perhaps forward and back ala Intellimouse from W7 onwards?) and any customisation other than changes to DPI triggered on the mouse itself surely?

Sakkura
19-02-2013, 11:55 PM
While I'm aware that Razer can add all sorts of ... interesting stuff via drivers, I doubt they can add buttons that aren't actually there in the first place. The Abyssus has two buttons and a wheel.

As for polling rate, it has a switch underneath it to control that.

X_kot
24-02-2013, 07:51 AM
So, in spite of trjp's dismissal of the concept, I am interested in a wireless mouse - anyone have a model that they can recommend? I'm not an online multiplayer, so minimizing lag isn't the biggest problem. The Targus one I use has developed steadily declining battery life and sloppy wheel sensitivity. Anywhere in the 30-70 USD range would be fine.

Oh, and fuck Razer - the Imperator I had before shuffled off the digital coil two months after purchase.

trjp
07-05-2013, 03:55 PM
So, in spite of trjp's dismissal of the concept, I am interested in a wireless mouse - anyone have a model that they can recommend? I'm not an online multiplayer, so minimizing lag isn't the biggest problem. The Targus one I use has developed steadily declining battery life and sloppy wheel sensitivity. Anywhere in the 30-70 USD range would be fine.

Oh, and fuck Razer - the Imperator I had before shuffled off the digital coil two months after purchase.

I missed this, back in the day, so I think I should qualify my comments on wireless mice.

Don't think that the lag is just an online gaming issue - it's not - mouse lag is unavoidable with wireless mice and it will bug you EVERYWHERE - art packages, dragging stuff around etc. - it's all a pain in the ass.

When you add the issue of recharging or changing batteries you've added more reasons not to bother with wireless.

Don't get me wrong - my first wireless mouse seemed like an amazing idea and it's batteries would last 6-8 months but I often wondered about it's lack of precision, figured it was lag and so I switched back to a cable and it was MUCH better.

I then picked-up 4 different wireless mice - all high-end ones from Logi etc. - and they all had the same lack of precision and occasional lag - something I've NEVER seen on a cabled mouse.

So - summary - you're paying quite a lot more for a feature which has one really obvious downside and a few other annoyances - against a cabled mouse which just requires you tidy your desk up a bit ;)

If you want to waste the money - knock yourself out but ALL wireless mice have lag and comms issues to a much more noticeable degree than even a 5 cabled mouse.

Hell I'd like a BIG Logi mouse but the discontinued the G9 and the G700 is wireless and so I'm oot...

Chorltonwheelie
13-05-2013, 09:10 PM
I've had my Sharkoon Fireglider a couple of months, since the last 'recommend me a mouse thread'.

I love it to bits and would recommend it in a beat.