PDA

View Full Version : EA to compete with Steam?

winterwolves
04-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Just found this news:
http://www.next-gen.biz/news/ea-announces-origin

honestly I'm surprised that EA didn't do such a thing SOONER. But... will it last? can they compete with Steam now or is a "bit too late"? :) I think is too late now...

airtekh
04-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Apparently The Old Republic is tied to this platform in the same way that Valve titles are tied to Steam.

Makes sense from a business point of view as more people will have the platform installed. I can see EA doing this for a lot of their future titles.

thegooseking
04-06-2011, 11:15 AM
I realise I'm in a minority, being both British and a PC gamer, but EA seems very reluctant to take my money for NHL 12, which is already available for pre-order across the pond. Albeit on consoletoy only - NHL 09 was both the series' last appearance on PC and the most recent one available in the UK EA Store on any platform.

I don't even like sports in general, but ice hockey is my one exception to this, and it also seems to be the one EA thinks I don't want.

So yeah, maybe it's an exception, but if they're that reluctant to take my money, I don't see how they can go up against Steam.

Kismet
04-06-2011, 11:18 AM
I don't think it's about competing with Steam, as much as not having to rely on Steam for digital distribution as Valve seems to be getting close to the PC equivalent of a console platform holder. Origin is the evolution of the EADM and aims to create a separated social ecosystem (friend lists, scores tracking, probably achievements, etc.).

With EA accounts being converted to Origin accounts, anyone who has bought a recent title published by the Redwood City publisher is already registered on the service and only needs to install the client (if he doesn't have EADM installed already, as I read it's getting automatically updated to the Origin beta client): promos, semi-exclusives and social features should put Electronic Arts in the position of pulling out from Steam before things turn ugly, or at very last to not be in a weak position when it comes to negotiate deals with Valve.

I don't think Electronic Arts necessarily aims to sell third-party titles and considering that following this route seems the sensible thing to do for the publishers able to pull it off (both in terms of infrastructures/development capabilities and portfolio appeal to pull people to their services) in the end there may "only" be small-medium developers to fight for.

SilverSilence
04-06-2011, 11:20 AM
It doesn't even say it will sell games from other publishers so how is this competing with Steam? It's basically just a rename of their current store.

Rii
04-06-2011, 11:48 AM
No doubt BF3 will be tied to this also.

Kadayi
04-06-2011, 12:03 PM
The present EADM already has friends lists etc, but they haven't really incentivised people to utilize it. Using TOR (which let's face it will have a large initial launch) as a backbone makes a fair amount of sense. In fact I'd say establishing a strong digital platform to compete with Steam is probably more important for EA than the success of TOR in the long term.

Update. Just ran EADM and it's actually updated to Origins beta now.

Man EA still need to review their game pricing. Way too expensive.

Joseph
04-06-2011, 12:09 PM
I get the feeling that the big publishers will now be doing their own platforms with their games exclusively tied to them. This just sounds like it's going to hurt the players if they have to have X amount of platforms installed on their system to be able to play the games they want.

I hope that Steam has something new planned, like a brand new platform (Since I imagine it would be more beneficial to build a new one from the ground up than keep updating the existing one) with everything and more that these new ones are promising.

venn177
04-06-2011, 12:20 PM
This is one of those things that's either going to SERIOUSLY inconvenience us by having ANOTHER non-Steam system running, or work out great in the long run due to price drops. But if Battlefield 3 is exclusive to this, there's no way in hell I'm getting it.

I already have Skype, Steam, and Digsby up, I don't think I need a fourth client for chatting.

slick_101
04-06-2011, 12:20 PM
I know this might sound a little stupid. But why do they have to do this? surely if they thought about having one platform i.e. the equivalent of Xbox live or PSN Or something So they could all stick to it rather than the consumer having to remember Each of the accounts they have used for this service, and then having to use another username on another service....

I Think that to be honest. EA are trying to fight in an already won war. Steam is King and they have NO CHANCE of touching it.

pakoito
04-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Just for starters I cannot find Language Selection.

mmiasmostati
04-06-2011, 12:33 PM
I hope that Steam has something new planned, like a brand new platform (Since I imagine it would be more beneficial to build a new one from the ground up than keep updating the existing one) with everything and more that these new ones are promising.I doubt that Valve will ever completely rebuild Steam. Considering the overhaul they had fairly recently and the way they've been updating the Source engine with every release it seems much more likely to me that they'll continue to add on bits and pieces as necessary and do another redesign if needed further along the line.

Re: EA's Origin, as people have said, without third party titles and competitive prices I think they're unlikely to become any real competitor to Steam's at all, excepting by forcing people to use it as with TOR.

Kadayi
04-06-2011, 12:40 PM
I hope that Steam has something new planned, like a brand new platform (Since I imagine it would be more beneficial to build a new one from the ground up than keep updating the existing one) with everything and more that these new ones are promising.

Aside from the mobile phone aspect I'm not seeing any advantage (in fact Origin lacks for a tonne of features Steam already has) and that's not something Valve couldn't add if they wanted to tbh.

vandinz
04-06-2011, 12:41 PM
I think it will most likely rival GFWL. Looking at the prices atm Steam has nothing to worry about.

Kismet
04-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Just for starters I cannot find Language Selection.
For the client it's under Settings, General Tab.

Not sure how games are handled though, I assume you choose the language when you install, though considering that when I registered my Steam copy of Dead Space I had to choose a specific language SKU (Italian being alone with Spanish in a SKU without English included - I went for the English UK version with Russian and others if I remember correctly) I can't help but wonder if buying through the client (which defaults to the Italian store in my case regardless of language settings) I may end up with a crappy localized-only version.
Not that I see myself buying anything directly considering the prices, chances are that if Battlefield 3 grabs my interest I'll just buy it from Amazon UK at a much lower price and register it.

Joseph
04-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Aside from the mobile phone aspect I'm not seeing any advantage (in fact Origin lacks for a tonne of features Steam already has) and that's not something Valve couldn't add if they wanted to tbh.

I've not looked into much but I heard someone talking about CoD Elite having video sharing and such and how Steam has only just got screenshot sharing. I was thinking that starting from the ground up would allow them to implement new features in a more efficient way but if Steam is already in a state that allows easy updating then I suppose they've got it right already.

Simon
04-06-2011, 03:12 PM
the digital distribution market is a joke. only one company have it right and that is gog.

pakoito
04-06-2011, 03:14 PM
For the client it's under Settings, General Tab.I mean the webpage, and sadly it's both in Norwegian and cannot be google translated because the buttons are images. Bad web design is bad.

JohnnyMaverik
04-06-2011, 03:23 PM
My only fear with Origin is that EA will try and pull the exclusivity card and suddenly it's the only place to buy EA published PC games digitally. It'd be a ridiculous business move, but also do massive damage to the PC as a platform.

I won't be using it as I don't like spreading out my games across multiple digital distribution platforms, as there are no real guarantees that you're purchases are protected from say the company going bust, or deciding digital distribution on the pc isn't working out and abandoning the service, something which EA has done on smaller scales in the past with little warning and absolutely no compensation.

Steam and GOG is enough for me.

Edit: Also as far competition goes I don't see how it does provide competition. ATM it's only selling EA games and I can't imagine many other publishers wanting to work with EA piling yet more power and cash into their grimy mits, plus if they do pull the exclusivity card and suddenly it's the only place to buy EA published games digitally, that's not the kind competition that's going to be good for us as consumers. Valve compete by trying to out perform it's rivals with Steam, the only games exclusive to steam are Valve developed games, even games with Steamworks can be sold through other digital distribution platforms, many choose not to, but Valve certainly don't block it.

You could say then it'd be fair enough if EA did the same, except Valve are a developer, EA are a publisher, Valve have around 20 titles to their name and therefore 20 exclusive to steam, EA put out 20 big titles every year and hundreds on the side of those. It'd pretty much put a strangle hold on the rest of the digital distribution market.

Admittedly I don't like EA, in fact hate is a more accurate description, but I really don't think any publisher entering into the retail side of the industry is a good idea regardless of how I feel about them as a company, because in most cases a publisher doing so then pulling the exclusivity card does massive damage to, or in the case of EA could conceivably kill the rest of the market.

G915
04-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Steam and GOG is enough for me.
This. I think this is pointles from EA, Steam is too strong...

JohnnyMaverik
04-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Well that's my fear, I don't think Steam is too strong, if EA really want to take Valve out of the game they can, and they don't need to do it by truly competing with them either, just stamping on them. The only good thing is the majority of publishers are unlikely to work with them so for now Origin looks to be strictly limited to EA published games, but even then they could do a lt of damage to Steam's business if they want to.

Simon
04-06-2011, 04:17 PM
lets face it all ea need to do is get some good games, have fair region prices and not over inflated steam like prices and then steam is deader than a dodo

JohnnyMaverik
04-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Steam don't set the prices, only for Valve games. I'm not sure EA will be able to go much cheaper than their games are on Steam anyway because the biggest problem is that if you undercut the average price at brick and mortar retail they threaten to stop selling your games, but it should be interesting from that perspective.

winterwolves
04-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Well from my indie perspective I welcome more distribution channels. Obviously, EA is not going to carry my games either :D but I don't get why people are just happy with Steam and STOP. I have several people that keep asking me/suggesting me to "get my games on Steam or they won't buy". You have no idea, as developer, how frustrating is this :(
And from player point of view, more competition is always good, in every possible business field.

Simon
04-06-2011, 05:37 PM
steam isnt great for the indie developer anyway

winterwolves
04-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Go tell it to Positech, Puppygames, Mode7 games and more ;)

Simon
04-06-2011, 05:57 PM
i am pretty sure they know they are getting a lousy deal

Malawi Frontier Guard
04-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Tell us more, Simon.

Simon
04-06-2011, 06:16 PM
its well documented steam gives poor royalty rates

Malawi Frontier Guard
04-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Okay. In light of this evidence, I guess you're right.

JohnnyMaverik
04-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Eh... no... they don't, if anything the royalty rates are above the standard, not massively high but definitely fair, I've met Rudolf Kremers (Eufloria) and Mark Morris (introversion) and both said Steam were great to work with, not even as close to as demanding as the console holders (Nintendo wouldn't take Eufloria due to the devs not having an office, and they approached the devs about getting the title on the platform!) as well as a lot fairer when it came to cuts.

I think they'd probably know.

winterwolves
04-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Lol I know well those people and they're all very happy about the deal. Steam gives one of the highest %! they take around 30% AFAIK, while for example casual portals take 70-75%!

LittleLizard
04-06-2011, 07:01 PM
IMO Origin will fail... badly. The simple reason is that, the "EA Only" badge is a bit... rubbish. As a revamped EA Store will work no prob, but as an Steam rival... EPIC FAIL!

Ravenger
04-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Steam also provides monthly payments, and instant sales figures. You get far more back distributing a game via Steam than you do selling games via retail too - see here:

http://www.mcvuk.com/features/808/OPINION-Retail-vs-Steam

"...on a sale over the counter today, we can have our 3 by the end of March, or on a digital sale, we can have 20 by Christmas.

vandinz
04-06-2011, 07:48 PM
No it's not, coz they don't. I remember reading somewhere that Steam takes around 30% of the price compared to 70% from other retailers. That's a massive difference.

Dirtyboy
04-06-2011, 08:08 PM
It will be interesting to see if EA and Activision eventually stop selling their games on Steam. At some point Activision will move CoD and its other games to Battle.net. They could pull the b.s. "exclusive" deals that Microsoft is always doing, and lure some publishers over to their stores to try to hurt Steam.

Cavalier
05-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Its nothing new, they just changed the name of EADM, which they've tried revamping several times now, and its always failed, and it will never be able to compete with steam. for that to happen it would have to have game available from other publishers, cheaper prices, and a much better social networking tool than what it has currently (ok this may be better as i haven't actually seen origin yet, but it never really got better through its earlier iterations either). I will say one thing. If i have to have this crap installed and running on my pc to play BF3, i will be pissed. I will still get BF3, but for EA titles that i am on the fence on, it will be much harder for me to purchase them

Kadayi
05-06-2011, 09:55 AM

Care to back that statement up with some actual substantiated links there Simon?

Call me an asshole, but I like it when people making broad statements they back them up with some supporting evidence.

Here's some counterpoint: -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/10/12/the-steamy-issue-of-digital-distribution/

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/25595/Opinion_Tripwire_Steam_And_How_Were_Not_Getting_Ex ploited.php

They all seem pretty happy.

winterwolves
05-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Well they could also do without a permanent app. like GoG does, you have only the automatic downloader but you don't need to have an app permanently running. That's what I hate about Steam as well. I don't need that thing running permanently in background, since I never play multiplayer games too.

soldant
05-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Steam is way too entrenched. GOG succeeds because it fills a niche: old games that you're not likely to find elsewhere, and actually work on modern systems.

duff
05-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Right now on 'Origin' Dragon Age 2 is 25 whilst Dragon Age 1 is 40. Is that official acknowledgement that DA2 is a bit shit?

Kadayi
05-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Well they could also do without a permanent app. like GoG does, you have only the automatic downloader but you don't need to have an app permanently running. That's what I hate about Steam as well. I don't need that thing running permanently in background, since I never play multiplayer games too.

I don't want to come across as a Steam apologist, but Steam is hardly a resource hog by any stretch of the imagination.

winterwolves
05-06-2011, 06:47 PM
No, it doesn't consume much resources indeed, that's true... probably is just me, but I'd like something like Steam but that I decide when to start/stop :)

sinister agent
05-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Line up all the people who like EA. Line up all the people who like Valve.

The Valve line would stretch around the earth several times. The EA line would be called Steve, and even he misunderstood and thought you were talking about the Environmental Agency.

EA will not make a dent in Steam's market share. They're kidding themselves if they think otherwise. I doubt they'd withdraw their games from Steam et al though (not least as they've just signed up with gog) - there's simply no strong reason to. The more places your stuff is available, the more you'll sell.

This is all probably just another item in EA's long history of giving their paying customers the worst possible experience, an area they've innovated in for many years.

hamster
05-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Exclusivity sounds like an excellent idea. The sheer volume of stuff they sell, the brands they own, plus EA's market share would, I suspect, give them enough clout to do that. EA needs to be careful that they don't offend US/EU anti-trust 'tying' provisions though. As for the platform itself, i hope to see EA offer something special that other digital distributors don't have, not just game library and price differences.

hamster
05-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Line up all the people who like EA. Line up all the people who like Valve.

The Valve line would stretch around the earth several times. The EA line would be called Steve, and even he misunderstood and thought you were talking about the Environmental Agency.

EA will not make a dent in Steam's market share. They're kidding themselves if they think otherwise. I doubt they'd withdraw their games from Steam et al though (not least as they've just signed up with gog) - there's simply no strong reason to. The more places your stuff is available, the more you'll sell.

This is all probably just another item in EA's long history of giving their paying customers the worst possible experience, an area they've innovated in for many years.

I doubt people outside actually hate EA. It's just more difficult to establish brand loyalty for them because they have so many games, and not all of them distinctive. I think it's also dubious as to whether the name of the developers actually attract people to try out their platform (though the fact that the devs games are inextricably tied to their distro platform does establish first-contact). Steam's market share can be explained v. simply: it is tied to half life 2/portal/(possibly)L4D; it appeared on the scene very very early; and it has some decent deals. I also forgot to mention that the page is accessible, easy to navigate and v. clear on the sales too. So now just wait till Origin comes up with some decent deals. I imagine all sorts of corporate stare downs (that is to say, somebody undercutting the other guy right after a sale ends - where have we seen that before? Well we'll be seeing a whole lot more.)

Rii
05-06-2011, 09:01 PM
No, it doesn't consume much resources indeed, that's true... probably is just me, but I'd like something like Steam but that I decide when to start/stop :)

I'd like Steam more if it let me change my fucking username. I wasn't always the suave and debonair personage you see before you today, and I'd like not to be reminded of that each and every time I log in.

winterwolves
05-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Honestly of the latest game I played, I liked more Ubisoft ones (Assassin Creed, Settler 7, Anno 1404, etc)

JohnnyK
05-06-2011, 10:22 PM
I'd like Steam more if it let me change my fucking username.
But how many services really let you do that? I'd love to change my Skype username as I also use my account for my job, but I'm pretty much SOL there as well. At least Steam let's you chose your display name.

Oak
06-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Exclusivity sounds like an excellent idea.

How do you figure?

Delusibeta
06-06-2011, 12:14 AM
Honestly? I'll be more interested if they open up their accounts system to third parties. If they play their cards right, EA might have a competitor to Steamworks, and they could make inroads into Steam's share that way.

Kadayi
06-06-2011, 12:51 AM
I'd like Steam more if it let me change my fucking username. I wasn't always the suave and debonair personage you see before you today, and I'd like not to be reminded of that each and every time I log in.

Are you talking about your account email address or are you talking about your profile name? Because you can change the latter for sure (friends>change profile name...)

Veracity
06-06-2011, 01:18 AM
I thought EA already killed Origin.

@Kadayi: You can change your account e-mail, too. It's the account name you use to log in you can't alter.

This is just rebranded EADM, isn't it? ...Yes, it is (having looked at it after manually installing because the EADM automatic update failed silently yet again). As everyone and his dog already noted, that's not really in competition with Steam unless they start using it for something besides EA games. More social networking tomfoolery to ignore doesn't really matter - at least EADM/Origin (usually, so far) doesn't need to be running for authentication.

Not sure I agree on pricing. Sure, the prices are mostly shit, but the prices on all DD are mostly shit. I'm sure I've noticed one or two things on EA's store at vaguely sensible prices, though, and they do have sales. More importantly, EADM lets you register serials bought elsewhere, sometimes including Steam, which is obviously mostly all the better to send you targeted spam with, but it does mean you can buy a redundant disk from Jersey for tuppence and get access to a downloadable version.