PDA

View Full Version : Fallout New Vegas - annoying save game bug

Ash_firelord
09-08-2011, 11:05 AM
I have Fallout New Vegas, fully patched and with all DLC - and every now and then the game stops while loading a save. Running on Windows 7 64bit, as admin.

It's no crash, it just gets stuck on the loading screen, the loading circumference moving forever - a successful load will load in 5-10 secs. Only alternative is to CTRL-ALT-DEL and terminate the program manually. Saving outdoors or indoors seems to have no impact on the problem.

This happens on a per-savegame basis. The solution I've been adopting is to save 2-3 times in quick succession before quitting the game, and hope one of them won't bug out on me. Usually works.

Any help would be appreciated, and the internet is so full of New Vegas bug reports and fixes that it's hell finding anything out there.

Thanks

Althea
09-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Are you trying to load a manual save or an Auto/Quick one?

Ash_firelord
09-08-2011, 11:14 AM
It happens with both manual and auto/quick. I usually do a manual and a quick one and one of them works, which one is seemingly random.

Althea
09-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Hmm... Go into your save folder, cut out "quicksave.fos" and put it somewhere safe (Desktop, for example). Rename the "quicksave.fos.bak" to "quicksave.fos", and then go into the game and load the quicksave.

If it loads, your save files might be corrupted, which does happen. The fix also works for autosave files, but sadly not for manual.

Ash_firelord
09-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks, I'll give it a try. But I would be surprised if so many save games got corrupted. It happens quite often.

Althea
09-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Indeed, and I hope it's nothing that sinister. If you're overwriting the same saves over and over again, you might want to create a new save file, just to see if it helps.

Shark
09-08-2011, 01:53 PM
I had the same bugs with Oblivion, and I think it has something to do with overwriting save files, so you'd always have to delete your quicksave before using quicksaving again.
Also, if you don't mind using the script-extender this mod might be helpful (http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36730), it creates a backlog of autosaves as normal saves and allows you to create a standard save by pressing F4 (it also handles different characters seperately)

Ash_firelord
09-08-2011, 02:13 PM
That mod adds a great feature, regardless of solving my problem or not. Thanks!