PDA

View Full Version : Rock Paper Fantasy Football

laneford
10-08-2011, 11:41 AM
http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

Is anyone doing this again this year? I remember we had a mildly successful league going last time around, but it'd be great to have a few more people on it this time competing for FABULOUS PRIZES.

Let me know if you're interested and i'll start a league.

Also taking suggestions for the name of the league. Rock Paper Foot-to-Ball?

note; may not include FABULOUS PRIZES

edit League has been created! JOIN USING THIS CODE 824649-315431

CuervoJoe
10-08-2011, 11:53 AM
I'd be interested, that sounds fun.

I've created a team. The Rock Paper Rangers shall be champions.

TillEulenspiegel
10-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Never done the fantasy football thing before, but I know how it works. Sure, I'm in.

Jockie
10-08-2011, 01:35 PM
I've already got a team in a couple of other leagues, so I'd be up for registering them in an RPS league too.

President Weasel
10-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Never played this one; played the guardian one many years ago (because I am frightfully middle class) and played the, I think it was, Telegraph one almost as many years ago with people from the office.

Would be happy to join an RPS league-o-tron, and think your league name sounds ideal.

Ian
10-08-2011, 01:48 PM
I've got a team already, so if there's a league I shall join and try to actually pay attention beyond October for once.

DiamondDog
10-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Think I'll start a team. I know I'll lose interest when the striker I keep on the bench scores a hat-trick.

laneford
10-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Right guys, the league is created. Hurrah.

You can join with this pin; 824649-315431

I'm 'Tom Lane' on there, and look forward to GRINDING YOU INTO THE DUST ON MY GLORIOUS MARCH TO VICTORY.

may not be glorious march.

may not lead to victory.

may not be grinding into dust.

Gerbick
10-08-2011, 03:31 PM
I've joined with my ever-so-cleverly-named team, Zombie Survivors. Now where did I get the inspiration for that name...

Ian
10-08-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm sure it'll blow your tiny minds to learn that I am the "Ian" in the league.

Jockie
10-08-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm in with Shifty Waxers FC, I would have tried to come up with a witty name if I'd known I were joining an RPS league when I made them, but there you go.

President Weasel
10-08-2011, 04:47 PM
oh shit, REAL NAMES! I edited mine a bit, to protect the guilty.

My team is called Tiny Soviet Heros - named after my Halfling team, and I expect they'll be about as successful

CuervoJoe
10-08-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm Joe C, as you most likely will have guessed.

Ian
10-08-2011, 04:59 PM
oh shit, REAL NAMES! I edited mine a bit, to protect the guilty.

My team is called Tiny Soviet Heros - named after my Halfling team, and I expect they'll be about as successful

Laneford's been planning this for years. He's gonna come loot us all now. :(

President Weasel
10-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Who's this Hetherington chap? Everyone knows your second name is Warboss.

Ian
10-08-2011, 05:16 PM
I haven't had it changed by deed poll.

YET.

laneford
10-08-2011, 06:03 PM
I think you should change it to Ian Network Hub Hitman Warboss

edit. Also. FOR GOD'S SAKES FOOTBALL. Four of my team are already injured or doubtful for the weekend.

This also serves to let you know you can make INFINITE CHANGES until sometime on Friday.

I think.

I hope.

CuervoJoe
10-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Luckily, I picked sensibly. Bar the fact I may have only one striker on Saturday. Woops.

TillEulenspiegel
10-08-2011, 06:35 PM
This also serves to let you know you can make INFINITE CHANGES until sometime on Friday.
Yeah. After reading the rules again, I think I'm going to have to re-pick most of my defenders. I like Kyle Naughton, but I don't expect Norwich to keep many clean sheets...

Ian
10-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Infinite changes until whatever time it says, then a free one per week, with a maximum of one carrying over to the next week if it goes unused.

Didn't know who to spend my Hernandez money on while he gets fit at the end of the month. Got Berbatov. D:

Jockie
10-08-2011, 08:55 PM
I hate Berbatov, I bought him when he was in top form last season, then he got benched/stopped scoring for ages. The day after I transferred him he scored 4 goals in one game.

imirk
10-08-2011, 09:28 PM
I hate Berbatov, I bought him when he was in top form last season, then he got benched/stopped scoring for ages. The day after I transferred him he scored 4 goals in one game.

It seems Nuffle is the god of many games.

Lambchops
10-08-2011, 10:49 PM
I'll be in as soon as I can be bothered making a team which I will inevitably abandon all care of half way through the season like I do every year. I don't even know where I came come the end of the season last year though I'd imagine it's a lot lower than at the start (where my performance was unusually decent!).

Gerbick
10-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Now that Blackpool have been relegated (sob), this will be the only thing that keeps me interested in the Prem.

CWalker
11-08-2011, 12:15 AM
Fine, I'm in. Glorious failure shall await, seeing as my passing interest in foot-to-ball does not touch the Premier League at all. If I do manage to beat anyone, you will be massively embarrassed and ashamed by my fabulous kit. Once I manage to wrestle the interface into joining the league, that is.

Oh, and because of my half hearted paranoia, I go by Biggus Dickus. And in the game, chortle chortle.

Ian
11-08-2011, 11:18 AM
What will effect me staying involved will be if there's chat. What normally bores me elsewhere is when none of the people I'm playing with have any interest in talking much about it. :P

Anyway, Spurs/Everton is off so change your line-ups accordingly.

laneford
11-08-2011, 12:07 PM
What will effect me staying involved will be if there's chat. What normally bores me elsewhere is when none of the people I'm playing with have any interest in talking much about it. :P

Oh the SMACK TALK will exist in here, I will keep all your interest with TALES OF MY GLORIOUS VICTORY.

Anyway, Spurs/Everton is off so change your line-ups accordingly.

Damn you football! *shakes fist*

TillEulenspiegel
11-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Well fuck, there goes my midfield. Only Jack Wilshere left, and he may not even play.

So, one free transfer per week after the season starts...

Ian
11-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Oh the SMACK TALK will exist in here, I will keep all your interest with TALES OF MY GLORIOUS VICTORY.

Oh yeah? Well YOUR FACE, that's what.

CuervoJoe
11-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Well, that's Distin lost due to the cancellation. Time to pack the midfield, and make it a 3-5-2 instead. Damn Football.

EDIT: When'll the fixtures be announced of who's playing who?

DiamondDog
11-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Would appear the only game that's been called off is the Spurs v Everton game. Rest are going ahead.

mrpier
11-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Ok, joined a team to this thing SoSoBad, have never tried fantasy football before.

Zoraster
11-08-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm in with the RedRavens (oh and with a very fake name for those I've met in real life; yes I really am a Dave so you have not been a modern day Trigger).

TheLastBaron
12-08-2011, 12:14 AM
haha, just came to post a thread about this and saw that there already was one, I'm abotu to build my team for this year now, have been putting it off to see how friendlies went

TheLastBaron
12-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Also, do we have an RPS league set up? To keep the name in the RPS format I think it has to be Rock Paper Soccer.
USA!USA!USA!

mpk
12-08-2011, 01:16 AM
Knowing, as I do, next to nothing about Engerlish football, I have filled my team with people I know from the Scotland squad8 and famous foreign people. They are the RandomBadgers, and they are looking for relegation. Fuck yeah.

*Actually, if I'd thought about it, I might have been able to make a full squad of Scots. Hmm...

TheLastBaron
12-08-2011, 02:08 AM
I'm already regretting taking Baines over Vidic, they cost the same and I didn't even think about the Spurs v Everton game being cancelled.

Zoraster
12-08-2011, 06:02 AM
Quick heads up for first time players; in past seasons the website has failed to cope with the surge of traffic on opening day, sometimes becoming incredibly hard to access from Friday night. If you want to make any changes now is the time to do it to avoid frustration.

Ian
12-08-2011, 09:22 AM
Also, do we have an RPS league set up? To keep the name in the RPS format I think it has to be Rock Paper Soccer.
USA!USA!USA!

Yeah, the code's in the first few posts somewhere.

Jockie
12-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Looking forward to the season starting, just out of interest which football team do you chaps support in real life and what are your footballing expectations for the coming year? To keep with the fantasy football theme, is there one player in your team who you think may be a suprise fanatasy football points gathering package?

I'm a Sunderland fan myself, meaning any finish in the top ten will see me happy. After years of being a yo-yo team I'm perfectly happy with safe mediocrity for the moment, especially if we beat the dirty dirty mags in the process. Wouldn't mind a decent run in one of the cups as well, but we usually seem to go out at in the early rounds.

My tip for pointy goodness is Stephane Sessegnon, he scored 4 in 5 at the end of last season after taking a while to adapt to the prem and Bruce is likely to be playing him as second striker this year. Also had a cracking pre-season and at 6.5 I think he could be a bit of bargain.

Ian
12-08-2011, 11:19 AM
I have been making a raft of changes to my team. It'll be much better once the free transfers are done and I'm stuck with what I've got. :D

I support Manchester United and would expect a title challenge. Hard to say how the other challengers will fare but I imagine City will get stronger.

Tips? Hm. Chris Smalling, maybe? With Evans and O'Shea gone and Rio Ferdinand constructed out of bits of crepe paper I can see Smalling getting a lot more minutes at centre-half and right back. Maybe even tucking a few goals in from set-pieces if the game at the weekend was anything to go by. Probably a good pick-up for 5.5 if you've got the cash to spare for a reserve defender at that cost. I wouldn't recommend starting him yet until I've seen how Ferguson manages Ferdinand.

DiamondDog
12-08-2011, 11:54 AM
I don't really support anyone other than keeping an eye on how my home team is doing. With no connections to any big teams it always felt a bit cheap for me to suddenly go all partisan and root for just one. I support all teams equally (apart from the ones I really fucking despise).

In terms of tips, going on other peoples advice, N'Zogbia could bag a load of points. He's basically been bought to replace Downing and Young so he's going to be Villa's main guy providing goals. Just depends whether McLeish can get Villa back to mid-table form and not relegation fodder.

If Fabregas does leave then 6.5 for Jack Wilshere could be a steal. I don't think he's playing this week but I'd get him before his price goes up.

President Weasel
12-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Victor Moses, listed as a midfielder but has a good chance of playing up front for Wigan. Got a bunch of goals in pre-season. Will get loads of games (unless he's injured). Cheap as chips, too.

Oh, and the entire Stoke defence, because they don't concede many and they always go trundling up for the set pieces that are Stoke's bread and butter. Might be tricky for Stoke this season though - they qualified for Europe(!) so their team is likely to be stretched.

TillEulenspiegel
12-08-2011, 12:37 PM
If Fabregas does leave then 6.5 for Jack Wilshere could be a steal. I don't think he's playing this week but I'd get him before his price goes up.
Absolutely. Ramsey is tempting at the same price too, but I'm unwilling to give up Gervinho and Szczesny.

I enjoy watching Spurs. And Arsenal, mostly thanks to Alan Davies' podcast. Also like Swansea for no particular reason; I followed them through the playoffs.

I only really support Hertha, who just clawed their way back to the Bundesliga, but I also go to the occasional Union Berlin game for that nice small stadium atmosphere. Oh, and I'll support New York Cosmos when they get around to existing.

Ian
12-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Bolton sign Tuncay. Hm.

Depending how much he's priced at he could be worth a punt as I'd imagine Coyle will give him more freedom than Boro or Stoke did.

endintears
12-08-2011, 01:00 PM
My friends play this one so I already have a team but thought it would be fun to get involved with another league.

Team name is AlmostSurelyVictory.

CuervoJoe
12-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Made a few changes: Removed Distin and Skrtel from my Defense, added Vidic, and Phillip Bardsley from Sunderland.

I've also added Yaya Toure and Vaughn to my Midfield, and replaced Odemwingie with Berbatov. My Strikers are Berbatov and Kevin Davies, with Rodallega on the bench. +Hart in Goal, that should be quite a solid team.

My favourite team is Swindon Town, who shockingly went from losing the Play-off final the season before last to relegation to league 2. If nothing else, we should get promoted back to league 1. In the premiership I support QPR, who I followed last season.

President Weasel
12-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Can't stop changing my team. Roll on the start of the season!

Ian
12-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Is there anywhere that tracks your transfers? Because I reckon I've made at least 20 since first setting my team up, though I think I'm fairly settled on it now.

My current team is.

GK: Given Should make enough saves and keep enough clean sheets to be a steal for 5 points.
GK: Ruddy Just a cheap back-up. I reckon Norwich could be the best of the promoted teams or at least have an early-season surge.
DF: Salgado Blackburn are normally pretty solid and so's he for the price.
DF: A. Hughes Another player at a solid team (Fulham) who did well in fantasy points last year. Another bargain.
DF: J. Enrique I'm GUESSING he'll start at Liverpool and this his price might shoot up, so I thought I'd roll the dice and get in now.
DF: Distin Again, just seems to represent good value. My only concern (aside from not being able to play him this weekend) is Everton's typical early-season crapness.
DF: Vidic What a man.
MF: Mikel With Essien injured until next year, Mikel costing 5 reeks of a steal to me.
MF: Dempsey 168 points last year! And a reliable performer.
MF: Brunt Good business at 6 points. Can't see him going backwards much, points-wise, with Woy.
MF: Nani This is certainly the biggest gamble of my high-cost players. With Young in I dunno how that'll effect his playing time.
MF: N'Zogbia Won't be as relied upon at Villa as he was at Wigan but should get more assists and clean sheet points.
FW: Berbatov Basically a placeholder until Hernandez is fit. Unless he starts the season in top form, obvs.
FW: Suarez Looks to be a cracking player. The bastard.
FW: K. Davies Over 130 fantasy points each of the last three years for 6.5 points? Deal.

laneford
12-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Brunt is a good shout actually, he's guaranteed to pick up those 3 points for the best player in each team, (like adam did for me last season for Blackpool) which can really make the difference.

Good work so far lads, I shall be putting up my team and some TOP TIPS AND PICKS later.

Also, am I the only one who finds it hard not to pick a 'full team' as in, must have a left and right back, must have a balanced midfield? :( I am strange.

Ian
12-08-2011, 03:17 PM
I used to think that way. I no longer do.

And I didn't even know about that bonus points thing. For the benefit of others who pay as little attention as me:

The three best performing players in each match according to the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index will receive additional bonus points. 3 points will be awarded to the highest scoring player, 2 to the second best and 1 to the third.

President Weasel
12-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Not sure about Davies - this may be the year he gets more cards than goals. And I thought Ferguson had finally given up on Berbatov?
Nani's in my team too, as is Suarez. Nani's in more teams than any other midfielder.
Brunt was for a bit, but was a casualty of my inability to stop making transfers. N'Zgobia was in my team for about half an hour but I reckon he's a naw. I believe, based on zero evidence, that he won't gel well at Villa and they'll have a poor start to the season.

I've been trying to pick up midfielders who look likely to be played as second strikers this year. Time will tell if my cunning plan will work.

Oh, and I bought Enrique as soon as I heard about the transfer, for the exact same reasons as you.

Zoraster
12-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Midfield is a nightmare this season; there is so much value around 6.5 and so little at the higher end that it is a really tough call. I think my final choice will be determined by whatever I've got when the website inevitably crashes :) TBH it doesn't make a huge difference to me as I nearly always play my wildcard in the international break to try and profit from early bandwagons to give a bit more scope for selecting my 'final' squad.

I'll certainly be holding fire on Ramsey and Wilshire who both look cracking value at the moment to see what Arsenal do. Same with United's defence; I rather suspect Smalling's height will get him the nod over the twins at right back (serious lack of height at United this season... only Vidic and Rio 'not the face' Ferdinand in the 6 footer bracket amongst the standard best XI selections) but I wouldn't like to bet on him or the twins at the moment. Have to get Enrique in before his value rises so can't afford a question mark.

Ian
12-08-2011, 04:03 PM
I expect Smalling will, in terms of right-back, be deployed at the same time O'Shea was. Against teams with height.

Of course Jones played at right-back in pre-season in a game or two so he's probably going to get games there as well.

As for Berbatov, I can't see him not getting some times on the field at least while Hernandez is injured. Unless Welbeck or Macheda start against West Brom and fly out of the blocks.

DiamondDog
12-08-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm getting worried by how carefully some of you are thinking about all this. I'm going to revise the date of when I lose interest due to incompetence to Monday morning.

President Weasel
12-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Oh, don't confuse my thinking about it a lot with my being in any way good at this. I'm spectacularly not :)

laneford
12-08-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm already regretting taking Baines over Vidic, they cost the same and I didn't even think about the Spurs v Everton game being cancelled.

As long as you do it before 11am tomorrow, you cna transfer Baines for Vidic, or anybody for anybody, as much as you like.

President Weasel
12-08-2011, 04:30 PM
OK, here's my team:

Keepers: Hart / Howard
Defenders: Enrique / Kompany / Hangeland / Huth (it's all about the headed goals with the latter two)
Midfielders: Nani / Sessegnon / Cabaye / Moses / Cleverley (I think I might regret all of these)
Strikers: Suarez / Carroll / DJ Campbell

Not sure if Cleverley will work out, but with the Man U midfield central midfield retired or perma-crocked or 38 years old or Michael Carrick, I am pretty sure he will get a game, which should make his value go up.

Ian
12-08-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm getting worried by how carefully some of you are thinking about all this. I'm going to revise the date of when I lose interest due to incompetence to Monday morning.

Yeah, I'm with Weasel. I think and talk a lot about it but I'm still shit. :D

Zoraster
12-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Of course Jones played at right-back in pre-season in a game or two so he's probably going to get games there as well.

Personally I expect Jones will be the first choice partner for Vidic by May. The only question is when it happens, assuming everyone stays healthy and Jones settles into the big club environment. In Jones we've got a new Tony Adams, finally an authentic replacement for Martin Buchan if he settles. I'll be very surprised if the club want to offer Rio a new contract so they'll want to stretch Jones before xmas. Only spanner in the works is the keeper which has certainly saved Rio's place in the short term.

For me Berbatov is done. Once Owen got a new deal it became impossible to see a future for him, and I'm sure he is only still at OT because he doesn't want to go. I'd not be surprised to see Young taking the second strikers role when everyone bar Hernandez is fit. Fergie seems to be waking up to the fact that we need more movement and pace.

Jockie
12-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I'm with Weasel. I think and talk a lot about it but I'm still shit. :D

I had one spectacularly good season when I smashed the 2000 point barrier and made the top 150k mark (with well over a million players, that's not too bad), but usually I'm pretty terrible.

My team is:

GK : Howard and Al-Habsi -Howard's a solid performer and when Everton get going they can be tough to beat, Al-Habsi is a good keeper playing in a fairly poor Wigan side, but I think he could be the difference for them and earn star performer a few times.

Def: Sagna, Hangeland, Bardsley, Johnson, Enrique - Sagna is bar Leighton Baines probably the full back who gets most assists, Bardsley had a great season for Sunderland last year, Hangeland and Johnson are both very capable of scoring from set-pieces and Enrique was bought for the same reason as everyone else.

Mid: N'Zogbia, Sessegnon, Jarvis, Yaya Toure, Nani, Plenty goals and assists in that midfield I reckon, hopefully Nani will be given a starting role for Man Utd and can reap masses of points like he did until he was dropped at the end of last season.

Att: Bent, Kevin Davies, Odemwingie. - Had Bent in my team for the last three years and although he is a traitorous money grabbing shitbag, he is a consistent goal-scorer and pretty much going to be responsible for all Villas goals, alongside N'zogbia. Odemwingie is sill cheap and did wonders for West Brom Last year, not sure if he'll be able to repeat that, but worth a punt I reckon. Davies is one of those cheap buys, who always does OK, but I agree that he might struggle a bit this year, think Owen Coyle is desperately trying to bolster an injury ridden squad with cheap injury ridden players.

Ian
12-08-2011, 05:11 PM
What's Jones like with the ball at his feet? Smalling seems fairly comfortable with it which is one string to his bow in being Rio's replacement but I've not seen a great deal of Jones.

As for Berbatov, I just don't know and he's a convenient replacement until the end of August. Ferguson has shown no taste for Michael Owen (who isn't that fast any more either and despite getting a new deal) and I've no idea what he thinks of Welbeck and Macheda's starting prospects at this early stage.

I'll have a transfer free for next week anyway I'd imagine so if it looks like he's just dead weight I may bring somebody else in while I await Hernandez.

DiamondDog
12-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Not sure about Berbs myself. Will he be bothered this season? Will old red nose even play him much now that Welbeck is back? Even if he does play he'll go months doing nowt and then score a billion when you sub him out in desperation.

Jockie
12-08-2011, 05:30 PM
I've no idea what he thinks of Welbeck and Macheda's starting prospects at this early stage.

Wouldn't wager against Welbeck getting a fair crack of the whip, looked good for us last year until his injury and the England set-up seem keen on him. He was also one of the few stand-outs from an otherwise poor u21 championship this summer.

laneford
12-08-2011, 05:50 PM

It's the talking (despite knowing nothing about what you are saying) about it and the thought that keeps from losing interest.

Zoraster
12-08-2011, 06:30 PM
What's Jones like with the ball at his feet? Smalling seems fairly comfortable with it which is one string to his bow in being Rio's replacement but I've not seen a great deal of Jones.

Tidy is the best adjective. I actually rank him better than either Rio or Smalling with the ball because of his superior football brain, but he doesn’t have the same range of passing. He has played a lot in midfield so he is comfortable under pressure but he is more of a metronome playing the simple little give and goes.

He has a lot of Irwin about him; rarely makes mistakes, positionally very strong. Just does the simple things very well and rarely gets noticed making eye catching recovery tackles because he tends to avoid getting caught in such a bad position in the first place. I really hope Fergie has the guts to play him early regardless of the keeper situation. I already rate him a better player than Rio.

Ian
12-08-2011, 06:34 PM
It's the talking (despite knowing nothing about what you are saying) about it and the thought that keeps from losing interest.

This.

It's like how watching a sport you know nothing about whilst having a few drinks makes you think you actually know most of what there is to know about it.

TheLastBaron
12-08-2011, 09:29 PM
My current squad is as follows:
GK: Hart and Given
DF: Distin, Vidic, Jones, Hangeland, Dawson
MF: N'Zogbia, Jarvis, Modric,Bale, and Barton who I picked out of curiosity of whether he'd be able to make more points than he loses.
ST: S. Fletcher, K. Davies, and Gyan

I personally support Spurs as it's technically my hometown club, though we moves to the US when I was 4 (which seems prudent as of late) so I also support the San Jose Earthquakes. I go back to London every summer except this one as I had school (luckily), but pretty much never any time during the season. Luckily the Earthquakes and Spurs are sister clubs or something which mean basically nothing except they always come and play us in the summer. I also have a childhood friend who plays for St. Neots so I always at least check scores for their games.

Gerbick
12-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Well, the site is down, so I can't make a last round of complete line-up changes!

I think this was my line-up when I last logged in:

GK - Given and Marshall
Def - Enrique (great minds etc..), Hangeland, Huth, Bardsley, and... someone else...Alcaraz maybe
Mid - Nani, Jarvis, Neville, Vaughan, Yaya Toure
Att- Rooney, Aguero, DJ Campbell

I'm a Blackpool fan, and usually only see them when they play over this side of the Pennines (though the fixture list this year has been most unkind and has put all the Yorkshire matches in midweek, so my Dad won't come over. Also, Barnsley on Boxing Day. No thanks). I like to see Blackburn loosing and know some Sunderland fans, so watch for their results. Other than that my interest in the Premier fantasy-based.

laneford
13-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Ok so here is my team (until I change it all again)

I have decided to go for a SEEMINGLY FOOLISH but in actual fact GENIUS strategy, massively top loading the team with awesome goal machines, and ON THE SURFACE, neglecting all areas of the team, however, I have simply found some UNPOLISHED GEMS who you fools have overlooked in favour of boring cliched shiny overpriced TRINKETS.

So, the team that you will ALL BE LOOKING UP TO AS THEY REST ON THE SUMMIT OF VICTORY are;

GK - Ali Al-Habsi (Wigan)
Whilst Wigan are look as likely to stay up this season as a raft made of Colanders, Al Habsi is a quality goal keeper, and Wigan have the world's easiest start to the season (Norwich, Swansea, QPR) where he shouldn't get battered too much.

SUB GK - Simon Mignolet (Sunderland)
Probably one of the best sub keepers in the league, and with Craig Gordon seemingly the world's most injury prone keeper, should get some playing time.

RB/LB - Fabio Da Silva (Man Utd)
I'm not sure which one of the Da Silvas is best, or even which one is which, but this one is cheaper. Surely an upgrade on Pies-O-Shea for Utd, and he charges up and down the wing like a whippet on methamphetamines. Good hair too.

CB/Sweeper/Libero/Auxhillary Striker/Shampoo Model/Hero - David Luiz (Chelsea)
This is probably a bad choice but I LOVE David Luiz. He charges out of defence like Leeroy Jenkins, tackles like a demon, gets himself sent off, concedes penalties and pops up to score wonder-volleys like Zizou reborn. He's an all action roy-of-the-rovers cartoon player. Like Fabio he also has great hair. Doubtful for the first game but I couldn't bring myself to drop him.

CB - Aaron Hughes (Fulham)
The cheaper half of the fulham centre back parternship with Brede Hangeland, scores fewer goals but should get as many clean sheets.

CB - Vincent Kompany (Man City)
One of the players of the season last year, a class act. Also with Mancini's penchant the revolutionary tactic of playing five defensive midfielders at any one time, City shouldn't concede too many goals.

LB - Ryan Taylor (Newcastle)
Ok he's rubbish, but newcastle have no other left back now they've sold Jose Enrique so he should get some games. If he does play, he takes corners, free kicks, maybe even penalties so has a decent chance for some assists. He's also incredibly cheap. (4.0)

CM - Cheik Tiote (Newcastle)
Probably bargain of the season last year, all action quality midfielder who is bewilderingly cheap. Except that he doesn't really score many goals. And newcastle won't keep many clean sheets. Ah.
He makes people do this though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pWY3OQWJ-w

CM - Nigel De Jong (Man City)
He's short, mean, effective, and liable to boot you in the chest if you look like you're going to score. What else do you need from a defensive midfielder? Again, should get some clean sheet points when City grind out a series of soul destroying 1-0/0-0 results in the depths of the winter.

RM - Victor Moses (Wigan)
A bit of a punt, but should play a lot more now N'Zogbia's gone, if he does could score quite a few goals as he is actually a striker, plus Wigan have that easy run in, could fill his boots agains the new boys. Otherwise he's for the bench once the next guy plays though...

CAM - Luka Modric (Tottenham)
Lovely lovely Luka. Key to everything Spurs does, despite VdV and Bale hogging the headlines. I love a good mercurial playmaker. Also if he does go to Chelsea (Please...) then I reckon his price will go up so I thought I get in there and get him early.

CAM - David Silva (Man City)
Another stupendously classly playmaker. I reckon with Aguero and Balotelli, Silva will have a much much bigger role to play this season. At his best he reminds me of Robert Pires, looking like he's a few seconds ahead of the opposition. Can dribble, score goals, and play a pass like almost nobody else in the league.

CF - Robin Van Persie (Arsenal)
One of Arsenals few remaining players once Nasri and Fabregas have gone. Scores a goal approximately once every six and a half minutes based on his appearances last season. Injuries are a worry. (Is already injured).

ST - Andy Carroll (Liverpool)
The player I really want is Suarez who I think is a wonderfully talented and massively ruthlessly bastard, but I don't think he'll play much in the first few weeks of the season as he'll need a rest from Copa America. With their forty three different midfielders and no champs league to worry about, I think Liverpool will do great this season, and with Downing crossing it in Carroll should fill his ponytailed boots. Will be transferred for Suarez once he starts playing.

CF - Didier Drogba (Chelsea)
Drogba specialises in having a remarkable few months before spectacularly going off the boil and pouting for the remainder of the season. Despite starting with Torres, I think Drogba will be more effective. Plus I've always started with him and it's worked before.

And here is my patented Sky Sports Tactical Diagram-o-rama to show you how they'll all play.

http://i.imgur.com/4avlp.jpg

Ian
13-08-2011, 12:11 AM
Did you steal that diagram from a professional football manager? It looks so authentic!

President Weasel
13-08-2011, 12:23 AM
I laughed several times. And I nodded sagely when you picked a couple of the same "hidden gems" as me. However, I had Tiote and De Jong in my team and I took them out because: don't you lose points when your player gives away reds and yellows? And doesn't Tiote pick up lots of yellows? And isn't Nigel do Jong the midfield enforcer who karate kicked a man in the chest in the world cup final? Instead I picked several "makeshift striker" type midfielders in the hope they'll pick me up some goals, and the midfielders on their team that I didn't pick will do the defending and get the cards.

However I will bow to your superior experience and diagramming skills.

I'd still be swapping players

Ian
13-08-2011, 12:32 AM
I almost went for Tiote.

Then I didn't.

I really ought to save these awesome stories for my memoirs. That one has Chapter 4 written all over it.

DiamondDog
13-08-2011, 12:43 AM
I actually did go for Tiote.

True story.

Gerbick
13-08-2011, 01:27 AM
That diagram is bloody excellent!

TheLastBaron
13-08-2011, 02:33 AM
Indeed it is, though I would say if you can get Rafael as he is the first pick of the twins and plays more

Zoraster
13-08-2011, 05:20 AM
Well I've just compromised my team to squeeze a Chelsea midfielder in. That early fixture list is just too nice to ignore even with Malouda being horribly over-priced. I'm also gambling on Suarez getting the start; Arsenal next week gives Dalglish motivation to give him a first real match with the new midfield. There is a degree of clutching at straws there though :) I expect he'll come off the bench but I intend him to be a central part of my team all season so I'm not going to risk an early price rise as I need my week one free transfer elsewhere.

EDIT: yes, well that lasted a long time didn't it... I was stupidly sitting on 0.5 spare cash so I've swapped in Carroll. If Suarez does do enough to make him a price rise threat I'll just swallow the 4 point hit.

arvind
13-08-2011, 05:54 AM
Here's my team:
GK : Cech (Chelsea, should get lots of clean sheets), Al Habsi
Def : Kompany, Huth,
Full Backs: Enrique, Sagna (possibly 2 of the best assisting full backs in the league, Baines too expensive and Everton start poorly anyway)
Mid : Lucas, De Jong, Nani, Silva, Song
Forwards: Kenwyne Jones, Sturrige, Luis Suarez

I gotta read this entire thread so I can shamelessly poach the best bargains.

P.S. That diagram will make Guardiola blush with it's tactical awesomeness.

Lambchops
13-08-2011, 09:28 AM
That diagram is excellent.

i'm having all sorts of problems getting a team set up at the moment as the sites servers appear to be taking a battering and i can't remember my password so may have to go through the rigmarole of signing up all over again.

endintears
13-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Has anyone managed to log in this morning? I was going to make some last minute changes but the site seems completely overloaded

ComradePenguin
13-08-2011, 12:04 PM
I couldn't last night either. Sadly looks like I'm going to miss out on the opening weekend.

Jockie
13-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Has anyone managed to log in this morning? I was going to make some last minute changes but the site seems completely overloaded

Yeah, it happens every year, doubt the site will be up to much today.

Also that diagram is brilliant Laneford.

laneford
13-08-2011, 02:19 PM
And after my confident predictions to the contrary, Suarez is starting today against Sunderland.

Balls.

Zoraster
13-08-2011, 02:20 PM
At least you didn't make a strong case for him starting and then move him out anyway :)

TillEulenspiegel
13-08-2011, 02:31 PM
And after my confident predictions to the contrary, Suarez is starting today against Sunderland.
And Flanagan! Bought him as a cheap Liverpool defender, since I expect them to be fairly tight this season.

I'm still sitting on an injured David Luiz and a probably-not-playing Fabio, though. Relying on Suarez, Gervinho, and Kevin Davies to bang in some goals.

TillEulenspiegel
13-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Y'know what I don't get? Shirt pulling. It's blatant cheating for minimal benefit, and when you do it in the penalty area....AAAAAARRGGGHHH. Screw Hertha, I'll watch QPR.

Hope nobody bought Kieron Dyer...

Gervinho was a good choice.

perfectheat
13-08-2011, 11:04 PM
I'm Mike D, manager of Soul FC. Looking forward to playing.

President Weasel
13-08-2011, 11:07 PM

Balls.

He's in my squad, but out of my team. Good thing he missed that penalty, or there would be even more points sitting on my bench making that "duhhhhhh" face at me. On the plus side, if Cleverley doesn't play, Suarez is retroactively in.

Ian
14-08-2011, 12:01 AM
30 points from 7 players today. I'll take that.

President Weasel
14-08-2011, 11:58 AM
21 from 7, with another 4 points sitting on the bench. We'll see what happens after the Manchesters play though.

Gerbick
14-08-2011, 12:23 PM
21 from 6, with a minimum of 2 from the bench. And also waiting for Manchesters for LOADS of points.

mrpier
14-08-2011, 12:41 PM
22 from 4 players and 7 points on the bench, how does the points on the bench come into play? Guess I should try to read up on the rules for this before next week.

Zoraster
14-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Bench players are lost points unless people in your starting XI are missing.

Last season I had a mare on opening day, but managed to record my best ever overall finish, albeit still way down around 15,000th place. This is the comforting straw I’m clinging onto while on track for an appalling round.

It was one of those annoying days where the players in my provisional 25 who failed to make the final cut scored well. Apart from Cahill and Suarez it was the players vying for my bargain midfielder slots who really rubbed it in. While the pair I went for managed just to avoid getting booked Larsson, Formica and Hoolahan all scored. To really rub it in I expect Walters and Sinclair will both score when they play today/tomorrow to deny me clean sheets :)

On the plus side I did want Gervinho but dropped him late on to allow scope for Malouda.

CuervoJoe
14-08-2011, 12:50 PM
9 points from 3 players.

Also, my final team. Well, until I change it.

GK: Hart
RB: Assou-Ekotto
CB: Vidic
CB: Carragher
LB: Zabaleta
RW: Moses
RCM: Nasri
LCM: Yaya Toure
LW: Park
ST: K Davies
ST: Berbatov

Also, that diagram is awesome.

President Weasel
14-08-2011, 01:28 PM
your subs are arranged 1,2,3 (you can drag and drop them to change the order). If one of the players in your starting 11 doesn't get a game, the first sub comes off the bench (and so on). If cleverley doesn't get a game today I'll get my 4 points from Suarez. If he gets subbed on for the last ten minutes I'm out of luck.
If he gets 80 minutes, a goal, and a couple of assists it'll be "suarez who?".

TillEulenspiegel
14-08-2011, 02:26 PM
24 points from 6 who played. Best of the lot were Szczesny and Senderos (clean sheets), and Suarez as captain. Oh, and Kevin Davies thanks to that assist.

Wish I'd bought Gary Cahill now. I remember eyeing him when making my team, but I think he was just a little too expensive. And still potentially going to Arsenal, which would be problematic.

President Weasel
14-08-2011, 03:39 PM
verdammt, I benched Huth and he just got a nice clean sheet. If Swansea score I'll be kicking myself. Nani and Cleverley both playing in the Utd match, so unless Kompany isn't playing for Chelsea I have ten points sitting on the bench (Huth and Suarez). Bah.

TillEulenspiegel
14-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Woo, Fabio is playing! Take that, slightly-higher-priced twin brother who's not.

Ian
15-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Whoever it was said about Berbatov was obviously right if Ferguson would rather start Welbeck. ¨_¨

Fucked him off out of my team for this week's freebie. Darrent Bent will sit in the place I'm sort-of holding for Hernandez in the meantime.

endintears
15-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Fucked him off out of my team for this week's freebie. Darrent Bent will sit in the place I'm sort-of holding for Hernandez in the meantime.

You've already made your transfer for this week?

Gerbick
15-08-2011, 11:16 AM

I have too. Vaughan for an injured Wilshere. Doh!

laneford
15-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Making a transfer on Monday guarrantees your star player will break his leg on Friday. :(

My special move is leaving my transfers until friday, then, instead of fixing any problems with my prodigious tactical skill and nous, going to the pub and forgetting about fantasy football, only remembering about said transfers just as the gameweek closes at about 11:34 on saturday morning.

In other news I have about 20 points so far, with Aaron bloody Hughes being my top scorer with 6. Ryan Taylor also got 6 but I don't think he'll get off the bench.

I need David Silva to get a hat trick tonight...

endintears
15-08-2011, 11:38 AM
My special move is leaving my transfers until friday, then, instead of fixing any problems with my prodigious tactical skill and nous, going to the pub and forgetting about fantasy football, only remembering about said transfers just as the gameweek closes at about 11:34 on saturday morning.

Yeah, there's definitely some kind of balance to be struck between waiting for the week's news to unfold and minimising the risk of forgetting.

Making transfers on Monday is just asking for trouble though, IMHO.

Ian
15-08-2011, 11:39 AM

Indeed.

Short of a spate of disasters I'm comfortable with who I have even if I need to shift a couple of subs about.

Zoraster
15-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Early transfers are for crisis management and getting on board bandwagons/signing wanted players before inevitable price rises. Late transfers are for tweaks.

Me, I'm holding a watching brief until I can get a feel for how the new bonus point system will work. Might have to totally rethink my strategy judging by early noises from the absurdo-EA Index.

President Weasel
15-08-2011, 12:55 PM
I have 25 points. Suarez and Huth have another 10, but they're on the bench and it looks like they're staying there. Should get a decent haul from Hart and Kompany this afternoon - surely Man City can get a clean sheet and take me above 30 points? Surely I've just Murrayed myself by saying that?

It looks like Brunt will be taking the free kicks and corners this season, do you think he or Sinclair might be worth swapping in instead of Sessegnon, who was apparently pretty poor the other day? Or should I not knee-jerk my transfers based on one game I didn't even see?

endintears
15-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Looks like they've added the bonus points based on the EA index now

laneford
15-08-2011, 01:26 PM
? Or should I not knee-jerk my transfers based on one game I didn't even see?

If I let ignorance be a barrier to action I would never get anything done.

AND IN THE GAME.

laneford
15-08-2011, 01:27 PM
And Fabio got a bonus point. Good lad.

TillEulenspiegel
15-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Up to 34, 14 of which are coming from Suarez as captain. Kompany and De Jong yet to play.

I had to ditch Gervinho since he'll be useless for the next three weeks, so I picked up Dzeko. He wasn't great for City last year, but I think he'll get back to his Bundesliga form soon enough.

Zoraster
15-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Never thought I'd get nostalgic for the old system where eye candy was stupidly over rewarded. Fabio was bad enough to stomach, but guess who the second highest rated keeper was? A certain De Gea, somehow ranked higher than Given who was pretty much single handedly responsible for Villa's point. Yeah, rethink time ahoy :)

Not a single bonus point for me, and considering I had two players who were clear MoM material plus Young who should have got at least the third spot I'd feel all bitter if they were not so absurd :) Looks like they are using some straight numerical systems that don't apply any context.

President Weasel
15-08-2011, 02:20 PM
oh for crying out loud, Suarez got 3 bonus points. That's 13 points wasted on my bench now - I just have to hope Kompany gets lost on his way to the ground.

Ian
15-08-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm away on Friday, don't forsee any disasters and am confident my subs can cover any that do arise so I'm comfortable making the transfer when I did before I dawdle and potentially forget. And besides, how much fun is any fantasy sport without a little disaster? I'm probably also conditioned by far superior fantasy NFL games where not pulling the trigger on a decision can mean not getting the chance to do it at all.

Anyway, I'm up to 44. One point from Berbatov. :D 2 bonus points from Mikel. I'd been planning to move him out of the team for Brunt but the bonus points mean only a loss of 2 points for not making the change, so could be worse.

Zoraster
15-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Apart from anything else Ian the rate at which Berbatov is being sold the odds are he'll drop in price before the week is out anyway. Unless you plan to keep him long term it would be insane not to transfer him out today. At this stage of the season it does less harm to take 4 point hits than 0.1 financial losses.

laneford
15-08-2011, 09:59 PM
*immediately buys Sergio Aguero*

President Weasel
15-08-2011, 10:12 PM
*immediately buys Sergio Aguero*

*is 0.5 mill short of doing the same thing. Immediately swaps a midfielder for a cheaper one and hopes Aguero has a mare next week*

50 points for the week, looks like. Sadly only 37 of them count, with Suarez and Huth on the bench, but it could have been worse. My mid-to-low priced midfielders were extremely disappointing, hence my kneejerk swap to a cheaper mid. If you're not going to do much for me, you might as well do me the favour of not costing much while you do it.

Gerbick
15-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Yay for Aguero! Glad I didn't drop him to the bench, as he was rated as 'doubtful'.

President Weasel
16-08-2011, 12:09 AM
looky look (http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2421213,00.html), free transfers this week to make up for the "little hiccup" the site had.

TillEulenspiegel
16-08-2011, 02:00 AM
Ooh, that's tempting. I could bring in Sergio Aguero, Aaron Ramsey, and Gary Cahill, and the only difficult decision would be to get rid of either Modric or Bale. Hm. Sorry Luka, you just don't score enough goals.

Zoraster
16-08-2011, 03:51 AM
Lets just hope they have the sense to freeze player prices this week or anyone who doesn't spot this could be totally shafted... that said the announcement is hidden away pretty well so maybe not many people will notice and the NTIs won't get out of hand.

Have to say it could be good for me. I'd decided to tear up my team and wildcard this week due to the new bonus system buggering up my plans. Now I can hedge rather than commit fully. Cue new bug where we don't get our wildcards restored :)

Jockie
16-08-2011, 08:40 AM
It doesn't seem to have taken effect yet, it was saying I'd be deducted 20 points if I made the transfers I'd lined up.

Edit ah nevermind, I actually read it this time.

President Weasel
16-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Lets just hope they have the sense to freeze player prices this week or anyone who doesn't spot this could be totally shafted... that said the announcement is hidden away pretty well so maybe not many people will notice and the NTIs won't get out of hand.

Have to say it could be good for me. I'd decided to tear up my team and wildcard this week due to the new bonus system buggering up my plans. Now I can hedge rather than commit fully. Cue new bug where we don't get our wildcards restored :)

You don't need to wildcard. I've made about 7 transfers (including a guy I swapped in, swapped out, and swapped back in again) for the low, low price of zero. The game will tell you you're going to lose 4 mill, or 7, or whatever, but when you go back to the transfer screen it's reset again.

Ian
16-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Did they do this previous years? Because I'm sure every year I've played that anywhere up to 24 hours before the deadline can be a nightmare. :-P

Still, good for me. Less good for people who'd done a better* job of their first team unless they're compulsive tinkerers anyway.

* At this stage that's hard to judge. Perhaps I mean people who're more confident in their final decision? I am NEVER HAPPY.

laneford
16-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Hurray! 27th .... out of 31...

I'm playing the long game.

Ian
16-08-2011, 10:25 AM
After careful consideration, I have decided to abuse the shit out of this free week.

Vidic being out a couple of weeks, Ferdinand being dead again means United have cheapo defenders such as Smalling who are good, going to get full games and quite possibly increase in price. Yum.

President Weasel
16-08-2011, 10:40 AM

Got you beat by a place and a point. Yeah! 26th is so much better!

I better hope I am playing the long game, because if this is me hitting the ground running then I don't run very fast.

DiamondDog
16-08-2011, 10:43 AM
My main problem now, Darren Bent or Sergio Aguero? I just don't know. Bent is pretty much guaranteed goals, but then Aguero has a better team supporting him. But then Man City have a deeper squad and even an in-form Aguero is likely to be rotated, whereas Bent is all Villa have got. I'm just going to have to flip a bloody coin, aren't I?

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to be a right shit and gloat for the first and only week I will be top of this league.

IN YOUR FACE!

HA!

Alright, carry on.

Ian
16-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Well after a squillionty-one changes my team is actually not THAT different from what I started with. :-P

As it stands, the ones who I still have (most of whom have been in and out of the team at least once this morning!) are:

GK: Given, Ruddy
DEF: Hughes, Enrique, Distin
MID: Dempsey, Brunt, N'Zogbia
FW: Suarez, Bent

So the new additions are:
DEF: Danny Simpson. I reckon that costing just four points he should get a reasonable number of games and do okay in the right fixtures.
DEF: Chris Smalling With Vidic out for a game or two, Ferdinand out for a month+ and the same for Rafael I think Smalling could prove to be tremendous value over the new few weeks at least, and possibly beyond given Fergie's happy to play him in the middle or on the right.
MID: Cheik Tiote I think he'll get a decent number of bonus points this year and will get points anyway for all-round contribution. I'm hoping he'll be good value at 4.5.
MID: Yaya Toure He was one I'd been trying to squeeze into my team in the first place.
FW: Wayne Rooney I'm torn between trying him or van Persie. Rooney should have a much better season than he did the last and is less likely to miss games than RvP. He said, tempting fate.

I swapped out Nani as I can't decide if he'll be as good as last year fantasy-wise with Young in and once Valencia's fit. Swapping Tiote and Smalling in really allowed me some leeway in making switches.

Of course this might all have changed again by Friday. D:

mrpier
16-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Quite pleased with the first week, half the team picked blind, didn't look at their points-history even :p I reckon if I start to consider my players more carefully I'll plummet down the list.

laneford
16-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Nice to see you're busy at work, Ian.

Zoraster
16-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Did they do this previous years? Because I'm sure every year I've played that anywhere up to 24 hours before the deadline can be a nightmare. :-P

Nope, which tbh is why it is a bit of a pisstake. I mean I was even able to warn people in this thread before it happened it was so predictable. All that changed this year is some twats complained on Twitter and the BBC mentioned it on their EPL live updates. Modern society in a nutshell :)

Pres: I'd already committed to the WC before this was announced; before I knew about it anyway. Now if we don't get our WCs back and the prices have been frozen this week (it seems they have) it'll be a double whammy.

Ian
16-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Nice to see you're busy at work, Ian.

You know it.

President Weasel
16-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Pres: I'd already committed to the WC before this was announced; before I knew about it anyway. Now if we don't get our WCs back and the prices have been frozen this week (it seems they have) it'll be a double whammy.

If you have already made transfers and had points deducted, these will be restored to your overall total by midnight on Tuesday 16th August 2011. If you have already opted to play your wildcard, this too will be restored at the same time.

So you should be all right.

CuervoJoe
16-08-2011, 11:59 AM

I'm playing the long, long, long game. My team's been radically redesigned.

New Players In
DEF: Gibbs, Smalling, Huth, Cahill, Distin
MID: Dempsey, Tiote
FW: Suarez, Rooney

TillEulenspiegel
16-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Ooh, you can view other people's teams for the previous week now.

Mine was a bit pathetic in the end, rescued by Suarez. And I'm still refusing to get rid of Luiz and Wilshere, hoping they'll be back soon.

President Weasel
16-08-2011, 04:20 PM
My squad has been radically redesigned since last week's fiasco. I have a new, exciting, forward-thinking policy of ignoring the middle of the pitch in favour of the ends. 3 of the most expensive strikers in the game, a rock solid defence, and 3 from 5 of the cheapest midfielders in the game.

It cannot fail.

Ian
16-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Ah, see I'm going for good value* in goal and defence and piling on the midfielders and strikers.

* May prove to be poor value, or get-what-you-pay-for-you-tightarse-piece-of-shit-value.

CWalker
16-08-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm not last! Hurray!

TheLastBaron
16-08-2011, 09:31 PM
I ended up with 49, 14 of which came from Joe Hart as captain I believe. My mate got 81, but I'm not worried, this is just 1 week.

Gerbick
16-08-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm second. WEEEEEE (the sound of me falling from the lofty heights, all the way down).

I've revamped the team, taking full advantage of the 'window' (that had better work or I'm destroying my good start).

Ian
18-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Right, one more day of frantic tinkering with my team before I go away for the weekend. :D

Prediction: An hour after I get home from work my team will contain about 3 of it's existing members. By bed-time it'll have returned to the way it is now.

mpk
18-08-2011, 01:35 PM
I've taken advantage if the free transfer week to create an all-Scottish team (apart from Rooney and Hart). To be quite fucking honest I can't do any worse since I was 29th from 31 in week 1. C'mon the McPremiership Rovers!

Lambchops
18-08-2011, 07:08 PM
I've taken advantage if the free transfer week to create an all-Scottish team (apart from Rooney and Hart). To be quite fucking honest I can't do any worse since I was 29th from 31 in week 1. C'mon the McPremiership Rovers!

Like it!

Alas I missed the first week due to their servers being mangled but I doubt it will make much difference. My team, hastily thrown together without much thought and very much subject to change consists of:

GK: Given, Begovic
Defence: Shawcross, Cole, Jagielka, Riise, Cahill
Midfield: Larsson, Etherington, Nani, Mikel, Palacios
Forwards: Aguero, Suarez, Zamora

Basically I picked the 4 expensive players first and indulged in extreme guesswork for the rest of them (with half an eye on who they happen to be playing this week).

laneford
18-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Cech is out for a month, if any of you have him on your team.

mrpier
18-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Just booted him from my team, currently it stands at:
Begovic Goalkeeper
Jaaskelainen Goalkeeper
Hangeland Defender
Cahill Defender
Smalling Defender
Kompany Defender
Jose Enrique Defender
Diame Midfielder
Carrick Midfielder
Gamst Pedersen Midfielder
Petrov Midfielder
Van der Vaart Midfielder
Rooney Forward
Dzeko Forward
Crouch Forward

TillEulenspiegel
18-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Spurs currently looking like world beaters, but they *are* playing against Hearts.

No Modric, supposedly injured, but an imminent transfer seems more likely. And Kyle Walker favored at right back; he was fantastic for Villa, could be a decent pick as a defender who'll score a few goals.

Zoraster
19-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Well I just finalised my team for the short term. Looking at the ownership figures a lot of people seem to have made massive changes have all piled on the big scorers from the opening week. With the most reactionary managers all having piled onto the same players due to the free transfer week we could see some very volatile prices. Cahill in particular could drop like a stone if he stays at Bolton; their fixtures are very tough until a nice run from early October to the year end. With over a third of teams currently owning Cahill and many likely to sell he could be a bargain buy after they play Chelsea.

Iíve taken advantage of the Cech injury to keep the same Villa/Chelsea coverage at the back (Given/Alex/Bosingwa to Hilario/Alex/Warnock) while freeing up cash to upgrade Taarabt to Toure. Iím hoping to pick up 0.5 profits to regain Given before Cech returns, but I rather suspect that is a long shot. If Chelsea keep a clean sheet this week I could see Hilario getting a double rise over the next two or three weeks and Aguero has potential to drop with a bad week so Iím hoping for an Aguero drop and a Torres double rise before I swap to the Argentine for the long term. Those are all the straws I can clutch for 0.3 profit so Iíll just hope the other 0.2 falls of the back of a lorry :) I can't hop on a bandwagon for the cash as I'll have to deal with Alex sooner rather than later.

Get down the bookies now; Turnball is guaranteed to start for Chelsea, Torres will be dropped and Aguero will have a blinder scoring buckets of points :D

By the by I expect the site will have the same problems tonight/tomorrow. Second Saturday was nearly as bad last season and this year it is in essence opening day again.

TillEulenspiegel
19-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Miles Jacobson via the Football Manager podcast tips Sergio Aguero for top scorer this season. I wouldn't be surprised. He looks even more skillful than Tevez, and he's not unhappy yet. I'm betting big on Aguero and Suarez up front (expect I'll make one of the two captain every week), with the masterful Danny Graham of Swansea as emergency backup.

laneford
20-08-2011, 12:30 AM
Ok, I've done some transferrage (the site is still stable at the moment, and I've settled on...)

4-3-3

GK
Begovic - Stoke
Sub; Vorm - Swanesea

DEF
Baines - Everton
Fabio - Man U
Kompany - Man City
Aaron Hughes - Fulham
Sub; Taylor - Newcastle

MID
Downing - Liverpool
Silva (C) - Man City
Moses - Wigan
Sub; P Neville - Everton
Sub; Tiote - Newcastle

FWD
Van Persie - Arsenal
Carroll - Liverpool
Dzeko - Man City

I've kept Carroll over Suarez for another week because I think he'll make hay against Arsenal's makeshift defence this week, downing's in the team for similar reasons, but I expect to swap him for Modric at some point.

Fully expect to get Aguero soon, but still expect Mancini to only give him 30/40 minutes again. (Cue him starting and Dzeko not)

Baines may get swapped for Luiz once he's fit, but at the moment he's injured.

TheLastBaron
20-08-2011, 06:47 AM
I'm not saying what my team is just yet, still doing last minute tweaks, but as it stands I would have gotten 82 points last week NOT counting any captain bonus at all, and it would have been 89 if I did what I plan on always doing and just giving my keeper captain and getting an extra 7 for 90' + clean sheet

President Weasel
20-08-2011, 12:25 PM
you know the same people don't score every week, right?

laneford
20-08-2011, 12:30 PM
They DONT?!

President Weasel
20-08-2011, 12:59 PM
For starters, Suarez is on the bench today. 0_o

laneford
20-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Left Ryan Taylor on the bench again!

Newcastle goal: A bit of confusion over which Taylor gets the final touch but it looks like Ryan Taylor's arrowed free-kick from the left-hand side of the area flew straight into the top corner despite Steven Taylor's attempt to get on the end of it. Newcastle lead, with less than 30 minutes to go.

AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgh

President Weasel
20-08-2011, 02:45 PM
For starters, Suarez is on the bench today. 0_o

Same people are scoring as last week. Suarez comes off the bench to sink arsenal.
Unlike last week, Suarez was in my team and not sitting on the bench. Huzzah!

TillEulenspiegel
20-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Poor Aaron Ramsey, that OG wasn't really his fault. That'll be more negative points for me. What the hell is going on with Arsenal, three teenagers in defence, one of them another idiot who got himself sent off. Vermaelen and Szczesny were solid as usual, but their only decent attacking player was Nasri. Oh dear.

Think this week and next are going to be pretty bad for me, but I'm still fairly confident in my selection.

Zoraster
20-08-2011, 05:43 PM
23 points from three players :) All on the bench :( And as I type Alex has just buggered up the clean sheet hopes for Chelsea just to rub it in further; at least Brunt didn't score or I'd have had to cry (he is the fourth sub).

President Weasel
20-08-2011, 06:03 PM
10 points from 4 players so far. I have a lot riding on Fulham and Stoke shutting the door on Norwich and Wolves. Vorm, sitting on my bench, appears to have scored 11 points this week. Jings.

Lambchops
20-08-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm in a similar situation to Weasel (though a bit better off in points as i had Suarez as my captain). A cheeky goal by Zamora wouldn't go amiss either.

laneford
21-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Rather wonderfully, although I left Ryan Taylor (11 points!) on the bench (and 3rd sub to boot) I somehow managed to get my keepers mixed up, so I had Vorm and his 11 points starting rather than Begovic (who is currently losing 1-0).

23 points so far, need Silva & Dzeko to have a good game this afternoon to salvage this week.

TillEulenspiegel
21-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Aguero and Dzeko start! Think it's a 4-3-1-2, with Silva behind them. Tevez on the bench. I see lots and lots of goals.

Zoraster
21-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Rather wonderfully, although I left Ryan Taylor (11 points!) on the bench (and 3rd sub to boot) I somehow managed to get my keepers mixed up, so I had Vorm and his 11 points starting rather than Begovic (who is currently losing 1-0).
Sure that wasn't a wise move? Given Stoke's appalling away record I'd have thought Vroom home to Wigan would have been the natural choice between those two. Actually make a pretty good pair to fixture match throughout the season.

I've given up on salvaging this week. My bench was great but short of a Rooney hat trick I'm destined for the million club again this week. On the plus side the only season I didn't suffer that shame twice in August was also the only season I fell outside of the top 40k by seasons end. I love clutching at straws :)

DiamondDog
21-08-2011, 05:45 PM
I knew it, I bloody knew it. I make the swap, Bent scores. Aguero? Nothing.

I hate this game.

laneford
21-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Mwahahaha, Silva as captain and also got Dzeko rather than aguero this week. Finally something works out!

endintears
21-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Like many others I'd also brought Aguero in this week. I'm not too disappointed by the lack of points; I know I would have been gutted if I hadn't bought him and he'd run rampant.

laneford
22-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Whoever made the healing hands of (http://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/2114496/event-history/2/) John Walker, consider my cap doffed to you good sir.

Bravo.

endintears
22-08-2011, 06:12 AM
Whoever made the healing hands of (http://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/2114496/event-history/2/) John Walker, consider my cap doffed to you good sir.

Bravo.

Pure genius!

Ian
22-08-2011, 10:53 AM
I kept Bent and, as captain, he got me 18 points! My midfield and defence have displayed some top-notch mediocrity. Rooney and Smalling to destroy Spurs, I hope.....

Jockie
22-08-2011, 12:24 PM
somewhat predictably, I removed Bent from being my captain (and my squad entirely) to be replaced with Aguero, trading 18 points for 4.

Ian
22-08-2011, 11:26 PM
12 points from Rooney and Smalling leave me on a solid 57 points for the week. Woop woop.

mrpier
23-08-2011, 11:18 AM
43 points this week, I'm quite happy with that tbh. Think I'll tweak my formation a bit though, I guess it makes sense to have three forwards (if they manage to score goals that is).

TheLastBaron
23-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Wow my friend who got 81 points the first week is now literally ranked #1 in the USA, not even tied. He doesn't watch or follow soccer at all.

Gerbick
23-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Solid 50 points this week. Jarvis is my main points scorer at the moment.

TheLastBaron
24-08-2011, 01:34 AM
56 for the week, but hopefully I'll do better next week when my three Spurs players don't get me a combined total of 5 points.

TillEulenspiegel
28-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Why oh why did I not keep Dzeko. After talking him up, even.

I'm terrible at this.

And now my goalkeeper has conceded EIGHT.

*cries*

Lambchops
28-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Can someone remind me why I don't have Dzeko and Rooney up front?

It has been a solid week for my defence and OK for my midfiled, but I just didn't have the right strikers. Tenner's a bet if I change them the guys I drop will score a shedload!

laneford
28-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Dzeko is in my team!

*happy dance*

Zoraster
28-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Well I made the blinding choice to switch the armband from Rooney to Suarez at the last minute which is a bit of a bugger, and yet again I managed to select the wrong defenders from within my squad, but Rooney's haul will at least lift me up towards a par score this week.

That said it is a bit of a bugger... I was kind of hoping Rooney would have a quiet match so I could transfer in Dzeko and Klasnic for the next 12 days or so to chase a double rise or two before getting Rooney back for Saturday week. Now Rooney is also a lock to rise fairly soon and Suarez already has risen so I only have space to chase one of the striker bandwagons. Tough choice to make. Annoyingly the only other bandwagons that are forming either got going during the free transfer week or are players I intended to have in my final team.

mrpier
28-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Why the hell do I have a defender as captain!? Must give rules another read me thinks.

Gerbick
28-08-2011, 09:39 PM
My Manchester-based players are going to drag my weekly score up reasonably. Glad I have no Arse defenders!

Ian
29-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Should've had Rooney as captain. :(

Still, nearly 60 points again I think.

Gerbick
29-08-2011, 11:51 AM
96 points for the week. Blimey, that Rooney chap as captain does wonders!

Zoraster
29-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Gah. These new bugs are killing key strategies this season. If the free transfer week wasn't enough of a blow for those of us who rely on the economic approach early season they've now totally buggered us by skipping the price changes last night due to down time. Dzeko was already sitting a good 15k over the target and people have piled onto him this morning... however instead of being halfway to his second increase all those NTI will be wasted when he finally gets his first increase tomorrow morning. Same with Anderson, only for him it is probably blowing the chance of a double rise rather than triple rise.

laneford
30-08-2011, 12:06 AM
58 points for me, 18/36 means I'm exactly halfway in the league, Rooney somewhat annihilated my gains from my early adopting of Dzeko.

All change at the top though, Andy Marsh, (whoever he is) taking the lead, with previous no.1 'Diamond Dogs' dropping down to 3.

John Walker Update: -10 points.

Ian
31-08-2011, 10:29 AM
'Mon deadline day, give us some hilarious rumours to mull over for whether they'd fit into our fantasy team.

BBC live text is usually good for this sort of thing.

"my dad's mate's boss' barber's nephew's cousin's dog-walker's granddad's postman's mate's brother used to work somewhere that required him to go on a bus that went within a mile of Carrow Road and has just been told Delia's meeting Cristiano Ronaldo today!!!!!11111one"

Lambchops
31-08-2011, 12:06 PM
'Mon deadline day, give us some hilarious rumours to mull over for whether they'd fit into our fantasy team.

BBC live text is usually good for this sort of this.

"my dad's mate's boss' barber's nephew's cousin's dog-walker's granddad's postman's mate's brother used to work somewhere that required him to go on a bus that went within a mile of Carrow Road and has just been told Delia's meeting Cristiano Ronaldo today!!!!!11111one"

Yeah people on the live text have been mocking this too. My favourite being:

"The owner of a pet snake that bit a dog last week has just texted me saying he hasn't seen Sneijder at Manchester Aiport, yet."

President Weasel
31-08-2011, 12:48 PM
My team has been heinously underperforming. My power trio of forwards (Aguero, Suarez, Rooney) is scoring by the bucketload but I am managing to throw the advantage away (example - playing Suarez as captain last weekend rather than Rooney, benching Suarez first week because I thought he'd be rested, buying Aguero just after he scored all those goals) and my relatively pricey defence have been letting me down (that one goal for Spurs cost me about 10 points, grumble mutter).
In between the two my amazingly cheap midfield are performing about as well as you'd expect for the money.

laneford
31-08-2011, 03:04 PM
If Scott Dann & Roger Johnson go in this transfer window for (as appears likely) around £10m for the pair, Arsene Wenger should stab himself in the eyeballs and stick to playing Football Manager instead.

TillEulenspiegel
31-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Arsene Wenger should stab himself in the eyeballs and stick to playing Football Manager instead.
Based on the number of injuries I'm getting on my latest save (about two per match), it would be a highly accurate Arsenal simulator. Think we both need new physios...

Mertesacker, though. The kid's hardly been booked in his career, and he could help sort out their defence. Let's see how his price is set.

Gerbick
31-08-2011, 08:45 PM
All change at the top though, Andy Marsh, (whoever he is) taking the lead,

Me!

BBC Live text is ace at this time of year.

Ian
01-09-2011, 10:26 AM
I assume everybody's going to be all over Cameron Jerome like a bad suit?

It hardly seemed worth playing fantasy football without him in the league so thank God he's back.

I predict that Delap will set him up for 40 goals minimum this season.

Jockie
01-09-2011, 10:31 AM
I assume everybody's going to be all over Cameron Jerome like a bad suit?

It hardly seemed worth playing fantasy football without him in the league so thank God he's back.

I predict that Delap will set him up for 40 goals minimum this season.

I going to assume you're trolling us, the same Jerome who scored 3 goals all last season up front for Brum?

Ian
01-09-2011, 12:12 PM
I made sure to make the goal number absurdly high just to be certain my intent was clear. :D

I'd originally been going to write 20 but thought; 'Hang on, there's probably somebody out there who might think that an actual legit suggestion from a crazy person.'

Obviously the real star of the fantasy transfer window is Mertesacker. ;D

Jockie
01-09-2011, 04:52 PM
I made sure to make the goal number absurdly high just to be certain my intent was clear. :D

I'd originally been going to write 20 but thought; 'Hang on, there's probably somebody out there who might think that an actual legit suggestion from a crazy person.'

Obviously the real star of the fantasy transfer window is Mertesacker. ;D

When it comes to football fans you have to be careful, because one mans shit-fest is another mans world-class. Knowing as many Newcastle United fans as I do, you become acutely aware of the insane delusions football can afflict upon a person.

TillEulenspiegel
01-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Mertesacker is 6.0, same price as Kompany or Carragher. No way. He's an excellent player, but the team is still going to concede like crazy.

Lambchops
01-09-2011, 06:53 PM
My defensive strategy usually involves having one Chelsea or Man U player and having the rest made up of the midtable sides with solid defences (your Stokes, Evertons and Aston Villas) and trying to remember to bench them when they are playing a side they might concede heavily to.

Gerbick
01-09-2011, 09:47 PM
For anyone using both firefox and greasemonkey, the following script is useful (http://greasefire.userscripts.org/scripts/show/34047), if currently not in full working order (due to the overhaul).

Ian
02-09-2011, 09:26 AM
My defensive strategy usually involves having one Chelsea or Man U player and having the rest made up of the midtable sides with solid defences (your Stokes, Evertons and Aston Villas) and trying to remember to bench them when they are playing a side they might concede heavily to.

That's what I usually do too.

mpk
02-09-2011, 09:19 PM
The McPremiership Rovers made good grounds last week, up 10 places. Shame it was cos of a sassenach with pubes for hair. Still. I've brought Shaun Maloney in, Alan Hutton is most likely going to be a starter now and at some point Darren Fletcher will get a start. We're coming to get you filthy english pig dogs. And when we catch you, we're gonna shag yer maws.

Just like big Sean would.

Ian
03-09-2011, 12:13 AM
And then slap them, presumably?

mpk
03-09-2011, 01:26 AM
That would just be rude.

TillEulenspiegel
04-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Jack Wilshere ruled out for another two months (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/sep/04/arsenal-jack-wilshere-two-months)

I give up. I should probably just convert mine to a joke/theme team as well. It might just do better than my current strategy.

Zoraster
10-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Going to be a nightmare judging when (or indeed if) to get off Dzeko this season. Tevez is such a dedicated player I'm sure he'll be back leading the attack before long... I expect he'll be partnering Dzeko this weekend after Ageuro's travels but going foward he'll take a lot of starts from Dzeko if he is in any sort of form.

Personally I'm holding a watching brief to see who looks the best bet out of Ruiz, Adebayor or Bendtner for my last attacking spot. Gutted Ruiz wasn't classified as a midfielder as he'd have been straight in... I fear Jol will be tempted to use him on the wing with Dempsey up top.

I was sorely tempted to take a punt on Simon Vukcevic with Pedersen injured, but bit too much of a long shot with Blackburn's attack. He has potential to be a decent scorer at that price if he settles, so worth keeping an eye on but more likely as a late season differential if you are playing catch up.

TillEulenspiegel
10-09-2011, 04:33 PM
I love you Sergio Aguero. Hat trick x captain = lots of points.

And Hertha won at Dortmund, which is rather a huge shock. The champions of the 2. Bundesliga (ie, a promoted team) vs. the champions of the real Bundesliga. Good weekend for me so far.

Lambchops
10-09-2011, 05:50 PM
I love you Sergio Aguero. Hat trick x captain = lots of points.

Concurred! It was a rare moment of glory for me in remembering to switch captains, i previously had Suarez as cap but when I saw Liverpool were playing Stoke and Man City Wigan I made the switch. Usually I'm too lazy to bother with stuff like that.

Ian
10-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Another Rooney hat-trick, and this time he's my captain. *drool*

Zoraster
10-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Well I took the superstitious fan approach to Rooney and left him my VC... think he is destined to remain there now for the foreseeable future. The question is can I bring in a player I know won't play (say Ferguson of Newcastle) and captain him so I still get Rooney's double points or will that earn an even bigger jinx for trying to cheat the superstition?

The last 5 minutes killed my week. Had 3 yellow cards, lost a clean sheet and had a missed sitter. Rooney's performance should be enough to put me back in average territory but barring a lot of bonus and decent points from Brunt and/or De Laet I'm not going to break the 60 point barrier yet again. Oh for those 11 points :)

mrpier
13-09-2011, 08:48 AM
I did just that, had Rooney as my vc and Dzeko as my captain, and when Dzeko didn't play this week Rooney got the double points.

Another average week, but I breached the top ten in rps-league so I'm happy about that. Wonder what I'll do with my midfield now, both van der vaart and gamst pedersen are uncertain to play next round, but I really want another forward who scores a lot, a bit uncertain what I should use the free transfer on.

Zoraster
13-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Latest on VDV is he'll probably be fit for Liverpool on Sunday. By the sounds of it he is fit enough to play in the UEFA Cup this week had he been included on the squad list. Of course Redknapp might be waking up to the fact the team balance is better without him so they may well stick to the 442 with Defoe rather than the Dutchman.

Going to be touch and go if Dzeko can get to the next gameweek without dropping. I really want to keep him for a couple more weeks, but I'll take the 0.2 profit and grab Adebayor early if I must. Adebayor looked in good nick last week but Liverpool, Stoke and Arsenal isn't the most enticing run of fixtures, and you just know he is going to do something stupid in the derby... maybe I'll go elsewhere for a couple of weeks.

TillEulenspiegel
18-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Spurs looking like strong contenders for fourth with Arsenal imploding and Liverpool disappointing. Even when it was 11v11, their performance was superb.

Suarez hasn't given me much for the past few matches. They've got a few relatively easy games coming up (Wolves, Norwich, West Brom, Swansea), so I guess I'll hang onto him for now.

Adebayor is tempting, though.

Lambchops
18-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Sigh. I temporarily switched Zamora for Fletcher when he was injured and forgot to put him back. Which makes me look like a bit of a silly sausage.

President Weasel
18-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Suarez gets one more game, the Wolves one, to stop getting less than 2 points a match. If he doesn't get a goal and an assist I am planning to swap him for the much cheaper Leon Best, currently on more points and pretty much guaranteed to get games due to being Newcastle's only striker. With the money saved I can swap one of my generic midfielders for Young or Nani.

Zoraster
18-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Suarez has been in pretty good nick despite his paltry returns. In past seasons he'd have bagged a number of bonus points, and he did take his 'goal' well today even if it did get chalked off. I'm sticking with him, especially when Gerrard returns and Adam gets consigned to the bench. Adam is sooo slooow it really hurts the fast incisive game Suarez likes to play.

Kicking myself for talking myself out of picking up Adebayor last week, although the logic was sound and he was a bit lucky today. Dzeko's price seems to have peaked and Adebayor is going up tonight or tomorrow judging by the speed he is picking up NTIs so I've pulled the trigger on that deal. Agbonlahor was also tempting; looks almost back to the dominant force he was a few seasons ago, but I've been burnt by him looking back to his best for brief spells before :) He is waiting in the wings as plan B when Adebayor does a Cantona when they play Arsenal in a couple of weeks :D

Lambchops
18-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Shouldn't have moaned too much aboutt the lack of Zamora. Actually had a very good week this week. Aguero as captain again, good performaces from Nani and Larsson plus the added bonus of Jagielka getting a goal has boosted me to a solid 63 points so far with bonus points still to come.

TillEulenspiegel
24-09-2011, 04:23 PM
I want points for getting your opposing fullback sent off. Bale would be racking them up.

Lambchops
25-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Sigh. I temporarily switched Zamora for Fletcher when he was injured and forgot to put him back. Which makes me look like a bit of a silly sausage.

Sigh. I remembered to switch Fletcher for Zamora only for Zamora to fall ill and Fletcher to score. I still remain a mentally deficient meat based product.

Ian
25-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Rooney going down injured has somewhat made me question my selection of subs. All of them got 0. :(

Zoraster
25-09-2011, 04:46 PM
You sure about that Ian? It shows zero on your team page this season even if they scored points. Another 'helpful' change with the new site.

Gerbick
25-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Hover over their score and it will show you haw many they will get if subbed on. So, 0 for all mine!

Bad week for me. Less then average points for the week, with only Elmo still to play. Might just cling to 2nd place.

Ian
26-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Ohhhh, I didn't know that. Either way, I don't think many of them did very well. :(

Aside from Vorm, perhaps. Vorm's awesome.

Jockie
30-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Pretty much resigned to mid-table mediocrity after a poor start I reckon. Also fuck sunderland and steve bruce, useless set of twats (don't get me started on Bramble).

TillEulenspiegel
02-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Oh FFS. The week after I finally sell David Luiz, he starts. I love him! Why doesn't Villas-Boas play him more? Grrr.

Gerbick
02-10-2011, 02:35 PM
After my blinding start, I'm slipping. Damn Rooney and Aguero not scoring hattricks every week. Basts!

DiamondDog
02-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Damn Rooney and Aguero not scoring hattricks every week. Basts!

My thoughts exactly. With my current midfield being awful (I intend to do something about it, when I remember) and some poor choices in defence I basically rely on Rooney, Aguero and Silva getting all my points.

Having said that, the way those three have started the season it looks like they'll bag me all the points I need. Might as well sell the rest of my team and replace them with lumps of coal.

TillEulenspiegel
02-10-2011, 05:23 PM
What the hell is wrong with English pundits? I see Sky, the BBC, and the Guardian all unanimously agreeing that Van der Vaart could have or even should have been given a second yellow card for briefly celebrating with and touching fans.

Insisting that it's "against the rules". No it fucking isn't, which you'd know if you'd bothered to read them, people who get paid to commentate on football. Law 12, "Celebration of a goal". The only bit that applies is the broad guideline that "the celebration must not be excessive", which primarily means excessive in duration.

It's bad enough that I have to listen to Gary Neville co-commentating. Why must everyone else be so astoundingly ignorant?

DiamondDog
02-10-2011, 05:46 PM
It's something to talk about isn't it. Football pundits, writers, and commentators are masters of creating drama out of nothing. An 'incident' fills up the word count. Plus the guys in the studio need 'talking points'.

I long for the day when all this technology allows me to turn off commentary and keep the crowd/match noise. I already skip all the bollocks at the start and at half-time. MOTD gets recorded so I can just watch the highlights and avoid that ignorant moron Alan Shearer. The only football shows I watch are Football Focus and MOTD2 when I know Lee Dixon is on because he's one of the few BBC pundits worth listening too.

Lambchops
04-10-2011, 09:36 PM
At least there are a few decent pundits around to make up for the mediocrity of the majority of them. i've had a fair bit of respect for Gareth Southgate ever since an England Spain friendly where most of the pundits seemed to be wattching a different game at half time to the one that Spain were completely dominating and he was the only one actually called the game as it was. Maybe if I saw him in the street it might stay my hand from shouting "Euro '96 penalty miss!" and running away.

Also on a football releated sidenote this video is absolutely hilarious. Got to watch out for that Joey Barton, so you do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYTcf55B-oY&sns=fb

Ian
18-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Okay, enough is enough.

I'm going to play my wildcard and sort this rubbish out. My team started sort-of-promising but has nosedived. It's MULTIPLE RASH DECISIONS TIME.

mrpier
18-10-2011, 05:01 PM
SoSoBad is still doing ok, two points above the average score this round, seems Fergusons decision to not start with Rooney/Nani caught many out. Kompany probably saved the above average score for me though.

Gerbick
18-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Begining to see the inevitable low-scores week-on-week. I knew topping the table in the early few games was a bad omen. Down to 4th and slipping further.

Ian
27-11-2011, 01:57 PM
For want of a proper football thread:

Gary Speed. :(

Gerbick
27-11-2011, 02:12 PM
For want of a proper football thread:

Gary Speed. :(

Massive shock that. And a big loss to the game.

DiamondDog
27-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Eh? What? Was only just watching him on Football Focus yesterday.

Huge shock. Just one of those guys you expected to go on and have a good long managerial career. So sad.

Lambchops
28-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Yeah the Gary Speed thing is tragic.

Chap O
27-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Bumping this to see if another RPS league is happening - couldn't find any more recent related posts.