Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    It is a Brit-based league in that the majority of the userbase is in the GMT zone but there's odd Yanks around and yeah I haven't had problems getting games arranged with them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Dunno if anyone else has any interest in joining WIL but they're looking for more people already as it seems they've got potential dropouts.
    Hrmm.

Should I apply?

Two more elf matches, six touchdowns, four conceded, elfball all round. Was apprehensive of Janek's team and began a familiar subsidence towards defeat, running out of rerolls somewhere around turn 2 in the first half. This inspired me to just go mental and somehow, somewhere, for some reason, the wood elves clawed it back. With ridiculous cross-field passes, stonking striding leaping blitzes and all manner of elfnanigans afoot, we romped to a 4-2 victory. Probably ill-deserved but for some reason going balls-out crazy seems a good tactic against Janek.

Laneford's Norse presented on paper an easier prospect, without much mighty blow and to be honest it seemed to be going to script in the first half, securing the ball after kicking and watching as his snow troll spent turn after turn screaming at the air in front of it. Of course, then I rolled three skulls with my tree as my first act of a turn, lost the ball and entered the second half 1-0 down after messing up my one-turn touchdown yet again (I WILL SUCCEED SOME DAY). Then some fairly standard elfnanigans managed to secure a 2-2 draw but I'll be looking ruefully at that game as one that got away. Oh well, one more game to play. Not a horrible record thus far and only one guy dead.

I too have yet to succeed in a 1-turner, Jim.

I've got the positioning/shoving done right several times, just for a pass to fail me or my useless players insisting on rolling the same pows they refused to roll the previous 7/15 turns.

Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    Hrmm.

Should I apply?
    Assuming you've got the time for another game per week(ish) then I say yes.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

I am well pleased with that draw. Somewhat undeserved, from my point of view, but my team are a bit useless and severely lacking of anti-elf skills.

Jim's AV7 did at least prove invulnerable, which should provide some solace to him.

And my AG4 thrower died on a gfi.

In turn one.

(Apo'd, thank fuck)

Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    And my AG4 thrower died on a gfi.

In turn one.
    That's the moment we all love.

"Hrggghhyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeep. Not gonna be my game."
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Huh. Turns out I'm through to the final of the WIBBL Cup.

I may have broken some elves in the process.

Activated Node
    That is simply glorious Janek. Elves are meant to be broken, you were simply doing your civic duty. Be proud.

Elves have feelings, dammit

Feelings are for CRUSHING.

Activated Node
    Oh, I know they do. Hopefully some of those feelings include a boot to the head.

Justa only got nine casualties against my Norse.

Tsk tsk. Standards are slipping justa.

Activated Node
    Such a tremendous blood bath. With each hit the crowd seemed to scream louder and louder, demanding more and more carnage. Thankfully Laneford was able to pick up an extra apo with the inducements, otherwise he would have lost a runner on a heroic blitz. One match left, Ian's nurgle await.

Good luck Ian!

Have fun Ian!

edit
    A fun stat for you.

In the THREE games of this tourney, with a relatively bashy norse team. (4 bezerkers, snow troll, every player with block, etc.) against Nurgle, Necro, Wood Elves.

Casualties inflicted: One

Casualties recieved: Thirteen

Good work, norse chaps.
    Last edited by laneford; 25-09-2011 at 10:54 PM.

29 casualties in 36 games, between them. Claw/MB really is retarded, isn't it?

EDIT: I should point out that that's not a criticism of it getting used, because why hobble yourself*? But it's a vastly overcooked combination in the rules.

*... when claw/MB will do it for you? Har de har har.
    Last edited by Ian; 26-09-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Activated Node
    Well those 29 casualties are a touch misleading. The vast majority of them came before the move to the new client, and a glorious amount of them came off of elves. With the old rules, claw was reducing elvan armor to 5, and always applying MB to the injury, which while fun, was probably a touch over powered. Now days, the real damage is only coming from MB, and claw is left as a nice looking, but useless tool against those pointy eared buggers.

Perhaps I am the wrong person to judge, but I don't really think the combo is over powered. Piling on is another story entirely, but that is a skill that I am explicitly avoiding with my League teams. Reasons being that I don't find it particularly fun, nor tactically sound to roll what is almost certain to be a casualty every single turn, and I certainly don't enjoy playing against it myself. It feels like breaking stuff simply to break rather than providing some tactical advantage.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yeah I agree with Justa, Claw+MB is powerful but fine. Throwing in PO makes it a whole different ballgame.

What makes it doubly bad is that some players (Underworld Blitzers, almost all Pact/Chaos/Nurgle players) have that entire combo as singles skills, so you can happily put it on every single player if you want. Broken broken broken. Back in the day, a Claw RSC player was something special, as it needed two doubles to make it happen. So you knew if you broken their favourite toy, they might never be replaced, as opposed to the opponent shrugging their shoulders and using the next of a pack of half a dozen killers.

I agree that I am fine with claw/mb. Less so when combined with Piling on, (although if it's just on ONE dedicated killer I'm a bit less bothered)

Besides, the majority of Justa's injuries against me came from zombies or golems. :(

That's the problem with Norse, though. If they start getting outbashed, they go down hard. You also have a lot of niggles I suppose