Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar

DEAD STATE - First Gameplay video! (Turnbased zombie rpg)

Feast your eyes my minions!

... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Narrated by the news reporter from Vampire: Bloodlines, of course.

Network Hub
    Looks great, finally a proper survival zombie game (and Project Zomboid of course, if they ever finish the damn thing)

Thing i don't like is that zombies takes to much to die,they shlashed one looter with machette several times,then shot him and still he was kicking around.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

The thing with zombies should be that they are difficult to kill. After all, they used to be dead and they are alive for some reason, they shouldn't need functioning bodies to survive.

Obscure Node
    It's looking good. Happy I threw my support behind this Kickstarter.

Yeah, I agree that zombies should be able to take a few hits. However, the general rule of "hit 'em in the head" should still apply. I think that only brain crushing hits should kill zombies, while other hits can cripple them. It could be implemented as a kind of critical hit requirement, that improves with character development. I'm really looking forward to this either way. Looks like money well spent so far.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Thing i don't like is that zombies takes to much to die,they shlashed one looter with machette several times,then shot him and still he was kicking around.
    Seems perfect to me!

Damage Reduction

A zombie has damage reduction 5/slashing. Zombies are lumbering masses of flesh.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/zombie.htm

They did also point out that there are single-use one-hit kill items, like screwdrivers, for use on zombies.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Yeah, I agree that zombies should be able to take a few hits. However, the general rule of "hit 'em in the head" should still apply. I think that only brain crushing hits should kill zombies, while other hits can cripple them. It could be implemented as a kind of critical hit requirement, that improves with character development. I'm really looking forward to this either way. Looks like money well spent so far.
    Ages ago on the forums they said that they don't have any targeting when you hit zombies because it was assumed that everyone would just go for the head anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    It's a turn-based RPG. You're not looking at straight combat so much as a board game simulation. Some suspension of disbelief is required. Creatures have 'hitpoints' in these games, and hitting them removes numbers. This prolonged combat allows for a different kind of strategy and brings your stats to the forefront.

I'd like the option to tweak the lethality of combat anyway though, just because.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbill View Post
    Seems perfect to me!
    I thought in D&D slashing weapons were for zombies, and blunt weapons were for skeletons? That's the way it works in Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 anyway. Now I have no idea what to use in the apocalypse!

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    To be fair, Mitsoda did say in the video that slashing weapons are good against humans but bad against zombies. By contrast, it only took two hits to kill them with a sledgehammer.

One thing that bothers me is the lack of fog of war, leading to zombies suddenly appearing right in front of you. I realize this is sort of the point, but it'd still be nice to have a visual indicator of how far you can actually see.

Other than that, I'm incredibly excited about this. I'm replaying Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines at the moment and it has reminded me of what a fantastic write Mitsoda is. Good to see that now he's working on a project where the gameplay might live up to the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I thought in D&D slashing weapons were for zombies, and blunt weapons were for skeletons? That's the way it works in Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 anyway. Now I have no idea what to use in the apocalypse!
    Think it's piercing for zombles. Come the end-times I'm wielding a kebab skewer and a griddle pan for the undead. If human marauders turn up I'll offer to cook them something tasty.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    I'm intersted in survival element but honestly combat looks... uninspired. Even for a work in progress.
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    One thing that bothers me is the lack of fog of war, leading to zombies suddenly appearing right in front of you. I realize this is sort of the point, but it'd still be nice to have a visual indicator of how far you can actually see.
    I'd be really surprised if there wasn't any kind of FoW or whatever by the time the game is finished. It seems far too obvious a feature considering the amount of work that's gone in to this already.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'd like the option to tweak the lethality of combat anyway though, just because.
    Well that'll be the easiest thing in the universe to mod, whether it's particularly supported or not.

That's always been my understanding too. Dead or not, a zombie still has an anatomy of muscles, tendons etc. which is vulnerable to bladed weapons, while soft squishy flesh is quite reasonable protection against blunt force. Blunt weapons are for rigid targets. That said, if we're assuming (in the lack of targeting) that the survivors are all aiming for the head, heavy blunt weapons are precisely what you want to smash through the skull.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm not a fan of turn based games (especialy survival ones), but this looks promising.

Obscure Node
    Looks great. The game mechanics looks somewhat similar to the recent Shadowrun Returns video though.

Network Hub
    Nice, so glad this is coming along.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Looks interesting, and I'll probably get it eventually. Obviously they won't be able to put out the same quality graphics as Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland, or PE (although it's loads prettier than AoD), but they managed to do a unique style. I don't think zombies are that interesting, but my fiancee will probably love watching me play it on couchputer when I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by dartttt View Post
    Looks great. The game mechanics looks somewhat similar to the recent Shadowrun Returns video though.
    In that they're both turn-based?

Well this is new take on zombies as far i understood them,the point is not to be afraid of them,but be afraid of other survivors.

Something like The Walking Dead series :D