Dungeon Defenders 2 Is A Thing

Tower Defense. Free-2-Play. MOBA.

Still there? Okay. Dungeon Defenders (not to be confused with Defender's Quest or any of the other kazillion games with Dungeon or Defender in the title) was a very fun tower defense/ARPG hybrid. For some reason it never seemed very popular here at RPS. I put about 73 hours into it according to Steam and I don't regret it. Never bothered with any of the DLC, though.
    This announcement is all sorts of worrying and I fear it might go the way of SMNC (did anyone ever play that?).

Quote Originally Posted by Trendy
    “During the development of Dungeon Defenders we constantly tried different multiplayer modes. Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, you name it. None of them really fit. When planning the sequel, we couldn’t drop the idea that a MOBA in the Dungeon Defenders universe would rock. Maybe it was all the after hour games of League we played in the office. We don’t know. But it fit well into the storyline and achieved a core goal of helping Dungeon Defenders players meet new players, so we went all in.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Trendy
    “Our take on the MOBA genre is more rpg-esque, with more hero customization, persistent hero leveling, loot and a town square where players can socialize, manage their heroes, shop, trade, and queue for matches. We’ve drastically simplified the item system, to reduce the learning curve for new players and are aiming for shorter total match times. We’re also experimenting with some other unique twists that you might find out about later (if they work!).”
    Oh, it's also in closed beta already. You can sign up here: http://dungeondefenders2.com/register/
    New! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Not so new anymore! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    From what I've learned, the game will have 2 sides to it:

-Co-op defending same style as DD1, but improved and refurbished and all that.
    -Competitive MOBA style.

So it's kinda 2 for 1.

I've played some 30+ hours of Dungeon Defenders 1 with friends, but got a bit bored with it after that. There's a lot of DLC (extra characters/levels) available though, but I simply do not like the game enough to consider buying it. Sounds like a good idea to introduce some new elements in the sequel.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Dungeon Defenders was fun until it became broken.

A friend played the Wizard, or Mage I can't remember what he's called and totally broke the character to the point he could solo the hardest levels while being afk. The only time he couldn't go afk was if there was a boss he had to handle. It made playing it so dull.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Never got into it. The mix of action and tower defense just did not feel right for me.

You could play it purely a action Survival wave game, never make a tower and kill/tank things with your character. Or you could add towers to help which could easily get destroyed by the waves. Actiony part seemed to simple and bland.

The loot and level up mechanics did not seem clear or interesting. Seemed like it was made to grind.

Dungeon Defenders was okay. Then summoner broke the game.

Also I have played SMNC, it's every bit as shitty as you've heard.

Obscure Node
    I got Dungeon Defenders from HIB, can't wait for the sequel.

Am I the only one thinking that the MOBA part couldn't look more like League of Legends?