Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Anyone starting to feel kinda sorry for EA?

Anyone?

Me neither.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    No doubt inflated somewhat due to the feverish delirium I'm presently experiencing, but 10/10.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    In one sense, I do feel bad that they got screwed as the scapegoat for the entire industry on this. And that they have been non-stop bashed for decades, even when they weren't actually doing anything all that bad. Oh, and that everyone is blaming EA and not "EA and Maxis" :p. Who wants to bet my asshole fanclub decides to take this out of context to harass me? And that absolutely no moderation will happen

On the other hand: They have nobody to blame but themselves. They are already using a cloud-based solution to host the authentication servers, so it should have been trivial to increase server capacity. And not having the devs verify what the PR people were going to say was a pretty stupid move too.

So I am not really sure. I think I mostly feel bad for the employees who are gonna get canned for this. You know, the ones who actually did their jobs, not necessarily the quality control guys or the talking heads.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Nice OP, you had me:p

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Oh, and that everyone is blaming EA and not "EA and Maxis" :p. Who
    I don't believe for one second that Maxis made being online a neccessity. They may have come up with the community/multiplayer idea but I have no doubt it was EA who made them turn into DRM. I can't imagine any developer willfully breaking their own game like that. Given we've already had at least one angry unnamed Maxis insider I'm guessing it was messier than we know.

But I know that every sub 70% score I see for Simcity is a little ray of sunshine entering my calcified heart. If only we could get them into some kind of suicide pact with Activision I might even be happy enough to smile.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

Feeling bad for corporations like EA is like feeling bad for a serial rapist that dropped the soap in a prison shower. Does a corporation ever feel bad for it's customers, I wonder?
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    I don't believe for one second that Maxis made being online a neccessity.
    There is no Maxis anymore. It's only a name, something EA keeps to use as a selling point.
    Virtual Pilot 3D™ NEVER NOT SCAM!

I'm (unsuccessfully) trying to come up with a scenario that would make me feel sorry for EA.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    Feeling bad for corporations like EA is like feeling bad for a serial rapist that dropped the soap in a prison shower. Does a corporation ever feel bad for it's customers, I wonder?
    If you shank EA, does it not bleed?

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    If you shank EA, does it not bleed?
    Yeah, money.

Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    I would feel sorry if they would actually learn from this debacle.

But no, they wont.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    They are good guys in my book.
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    They are good guys in my book.
    Then again, you are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Oh, I do a little bit. They're trying so hard to build a proper community of goodwill. Their motivations for that may be cynically inspired by Valve's success, but that's rather beside the point. Their constant and frequent incompetent failure to generate any sort of goodwill (and 80% of the time have it blow up in their faces instead) is heartbreaking (but a little funny at the same time).

So yeah, I kind of feel sorry for EA in the same way I feel sorry for Wile E. Coyote in the Road Runner cartoons.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    What was the context of that quote?... I searched but to no avail.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    No, because EA are a corporation. However on the flipside I also think it's irrational to hold a grudge against them (as innumerable people around here seem to) over stuff that happened 5, 10, 15 or 20 years ago because EA are a corporation. Corporations are not human, so anthropomorphizing them positively or negatively is a waste of time. Judge the product on its own merits at the end of the day, and if that means eschewing pre-orders bonuses in order to wait for the reviews so be it.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 15-03-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    As long as EA gives DICE, Bioware, Criterion and Visceral money, I'm okay with being a gaming ∀ИТ1CНЯ1$Т.

Quote Originally Posted by noxnoctum View Post
    What was the context of that quote?... I searched but to no avail.
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post197046
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 15-03-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    You are an enemy of gaming.

I wouldn't feel sorry for any massive corporation, my sorrow isn't something they require! It's interesting to see these big gaming companies search for a way to protect their assets, and how so far they've blundered about making idiots of themselves. In years to come we'll look back at the DRM efforts of EA, Actiblizzard and Ubisoft and realise they were the equivalent of a new born attempting to walk - doomed to fail.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    @Kadayi: I agree that the EA that scorned people several years ago is not necessarily the same as the current. However, their culture is horrible and stains their products generally.

Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    Oh, I do a little bit. They're trying so hard to build a proper community of goodwill. Their motivations for that may be cynically inspired by Valve's success, but that's rather beside the point. Their constant and frequent incompetent failure to generate any sort of goodwill (and 80% of the time have it blow up in their faces instead) is heartbreaking (but a little funny at the same time).

So yeah, I kind of feel sorry for EA in the same way I feel sorry for Wile E. Coyote in the Road Runner cartoons.
    I love this.

Activated Node
    Nope not at all, but I do feel bad for the maxis guys that put years of effort in this game only to have it ruined by EA. I really don't even have any previous bias against them, but they don't treat their consumers fairly so why should we? It would only perpetuate the current cycle of forcing extras on Consumers that we don't want. :)