Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrophy View Post
    Nope not at all, but I do feel bad for the maxis guys that put years of effort in this game only to have it ruined by EA.
    Really? If you take out the online stuff, what exactly does the new SimCity do that SimCity 4 doesn't do as well or better? Other than pretties.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackice View Post
    In years to come we'll look back at the DRM efforts of EA, Actiblizzard and Ubisoft and realise they were the equivalent of a new born attempting to walk - doomed to fail.
    You still crawl around?
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Really? If you take out the online stuff, what exactly does the new SimCity do that SimCity 4 doesn't do as well or better? Other than pretties.
    You could argue against every game every with that!

One thing I don't get in this whole thing is people saying EA can't/won't fix it. I don't remember a broken game from EA. Sure there was some games that weren't very good, but they do publisher a lot of games. Syndicate as an ok game, not blooming great but ok. It might have better as a TBS, but is there anyone left that knows how to make them? DA2, I enjoyed, it was DA origins but it was a fun game, suffered from sequalitis though. ME3 was great, multiplayer was stellar. I love my yearly Fifa games on the toybox. I guess the updates could be yearly DLC, but the amount of play I get out of it in the year is worth it.

I missed the point where hating EA became a thing, can anyone fill me in? I remember some of it from the late 90s

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    I missed the point where hating EA became a thing, can anyone fill me in? I remember some of it from the late 90s
    They bought out and "killed" a few development studios people really liked. And the guys who would later found Infinity Ward screamed and called them the devil (until they would later scream and call Activision the devil :p).
    Also, EA has a history of catering to non-core gamer demographics (casual gamers and sports fans) which angers many of the more "pure" gamers.

What people generally forget is that the companies EA killed: By and large, those genres also "died out" as we knew them, so it is definitely a bit more murky than just "EA bought and killed them". But, gotta rage against that proverbial machine and what nots.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Activated Node
    I have no idea. :) I chose not to buy the game. However, I have read quite a few reviews and such that praised the actual gameplay. Before this disaster even RPS was rather pleased with how it was shaping up. From what I can tell it is also simulated far more thoroughly than SimCity 4 and it seems to have added a few conveniences and helpful additions. These are all things that I have heard, but none of that matters. Wether it is an improved game of not doesn't change the fact that all these people worked very hard for a very long time to make a game only to see it slammed not because of errors they made (which could be addressed and potentially fixed), but because their publisher had them make a final crippling addition to their game. I'm sure it Isn't as cut and dry as I make it sound, but that is what makes me feel for Maxis, they made a toy and all everyone cares about is the box it came in.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noxnoctum View Post
    What was the context of that quote?... I searched but to no avail.
    If you click the little blue icon next to a name in a quote, it sends you to where that quote originated.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I'm guessing the new game doesn't have the Gods awful modding community of SC4. Though, it is early days still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    I'm guessing the new game doesn't have the Gods awful modding community of SC4.
    Please enlighten us how the modding community is gods awful.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm guessing the new game doesn't have the Gods awful modding community of SC4. Though, it is early days still.
    But isn't a Gods awful modding community still strictly better than no modding community at all?

Their tribalism, charging for mods, treatment of outsiders/newcomers, treatment of those who attempt to buck their rules, treatment of those who try to criticise them, terrible organisation, lack of a coherent system. Pretty terrible scene, from my experience. Some good mods... but trying to download them was like masturbation with a cheese grater... mildly amusing, yet mostly painful.

But isn't a Gods awful modding community still strictly better than no modding community at all?
    I dunno... the SC4 community is/was that bad.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    You still crawl around?
    Only when the mood takes me (or I've dropped a small object into the shag pile carpet)

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    What people generally forget is that the companies EA killed: By and large, those genres also "died out" as we knew them, so it is definitely a bit more murky than just "EA bought and killed them". But, gotta rage against that proverbial machine and what nots.
    Those weren't really genres to begin with, they were games on their own. Dungeon Keeper is a prime example. The problem is that EA looked at the popularity, then tried to get them to mass produce the crap, then get numbers similar to the big generic "genre" games. FPS etc.

So EA bought companies that made innovative and often unique games, or at least tried, then tried to turn them into mass producing "hit-making" machines. And then they failed.

Charging for mods?

I dunno what community you're thinking of, but I didn't have to pay for anything ever, and SimCity's pretty much been constantly installed on my machine for a decade.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    When's Will Wright going to start his new studio already?

Only problem with Simcity4 modders is that there's a crapton of dependencies and you need to register to a lot of different websites to get them all. Which I didn't bother with.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I dunno what community you're thinking of, but I didn't have to pay for anything ever, and SimCity's pretty much been constantly installed on my machine for a decade.
    http://www.simtropolis.com/stexcollections

Is there a link for a non-physical, free copy of these collections? Or a list of what these "very best Buildings, Lots, Maps and other Goodies" are, and their download links? I can't seem to find one. I'll grant, you don't have to pay, you could find all the individual downloads... maybe, if you're lucky, and there's no broken links etc., and you can register for the 3 or 4 different places, and you manage to get all the dependencies, and all the required files, and you have the spare 48 hours it would take to find, download and install them all. All of which is somewhat unlikely.

Then, like with CAMPACK v2 (all the lots and dependencies etc. included, in a nice, convenient single download and installer), if someone did make a convenient, nice single download and installer, they'd get lynched by the community.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    When's Will Wright going to start his new studio already?
    When's Will Wright's kickstarter coming already? I would give him 100 doll hairs to have a fully realized version of Spore. Or hell, to have Spore turned into four episodic games that take data from the previous ones.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Then, like with CAMPACK v2 (all the lots and dependencies etc. included, in a nice, convenient single download and installer), if someone did make a convenient, nice single download and installer, they'd get lynched by the community.

What we need is a hero.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirly View Post
    Those weren't really genres to begin with, they were games on their own. Dungeon Keeper is a prime example. The problem is that EA looked at the popularity, then tried to get them to mass produce the crap, then get numbers similar to the big generic "genre" games. FPS etc.

So EA bought companies that made innovative and often unique games, or at least tried, then tried to turn them into mass producing "hit-making" machines. And then they failed.
    Yeah, it is definitely best looking at on a case by case basis.

EA does/did generally try to make games more accessible (which makes sense, they have to turn a profit) which turned off the core fans while still not being accessible enough for the "general" gamers. But, at the same time, it is arguable if that group of "core fans" was large enough to sustain the series (as you will inevitably lose people over time without innovation).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This made me laugh:

2161667-zFrTB_zps1509dd11.jpg
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."