Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    What we need is a hero.

(I blame Saints Row the Third for making me think of that)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Is there a link for a non-physical, free copy of these collections?
    So lemme get this straight:

They bundle the collected archive of mods on Simtropolis on a physical item which they sell so they can host the collected archive of mods on Simtropolis to the public for free, and this bothers you. Thing is, the dependencies are also offered as bundles on the same website, and can be found via a link from any lot that uses them or just searched by name. That's a high degree of convenience right there for something that comes for free by a large number of amateurs.

The CD is just an offline version of the same site - it has no exclusives - so you're still sifting through the same mods anyway. Considering that almost all the mods are "unzip in the plugins folder," having the CD there to install things for you is not really necessary nor is it necessarily all that faster.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    So lemme get this straight:

They bundle the collected archive of mods on Simtropolis on a physical item which they sell so they can host the collected archive of mods on Simtropolis to the public for free, and this bothers you. Thing is, the dependencies are also offered as bundles on the same website, and can be found via a link from any lot that uses them or just searched by name. That's a high degree of convenience right there for something that comes for free by a large number of amateurs.
    Haha... Nice link. It takes me to an interstitial page saying I should donate and get the STEX Collections instead. Was that meant to be so ironic... difficult to tell at times. Also... that isn't the discs, in a non-physical, downloadable version. A nice, one download .iso or something.

The dependency bundle is a new(ish) thing? Certainly wasn't there when I was modding/playing SC4... it was 48 separate downloads on 4 different sites, to get 1 new lot etc. etc., and even then you'd have to hope all those links were up to date, and there were no "Obsolete files", of which there are many on that link you just gave.

Edit: It isn't just the cynical charging for mods that I object to... it was the whole attitude of the modding community (or the attitudes of a vocal minority giving the community at large a bad image). People saying that they'd be willing to organise and set up centralised hosting, so you didn't need to go to 3 or 4 different places to get the parts of a mod, where basically tarred and feathered by the community. The guy that put the CamPack v2 together (still available on torrents) is now he who shall not be named. The way that new people, who mentioned how confusing and inconvenient going through 10 dead links to get a dependency was, were treated was, at times, quite disgusting (myself included).
    Last edited by Unaco; 15-03-2013 at 04:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Haha... Nice link. It takes me to an interstitial page saying I should donate and get the STEX Collections instead.
    So you click "no" and you go to the page. It's a cookie. It shows up once.

Those dependency bundles have been around for at least three years, and they're kept up to date on the website. The scene progresses on, brochacho.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    brochacho

AhhhhhHHHHHH YOU SAID TODAY'S SECRET WORD!

YeeeeAAHHHHHH!

Attachment 2793

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    No, because EA are a corporation. However on the flipside I also think it's irrational to hold a grudge against them (as innumerable people around here seem to) over stuff that happened 5, 10, 15 or 20 years ago because EA are a corporation. Corporations are not human, so anthropomorphizing them positively or negatively is a waste of time. Judge the product on its own merits at the end of the day, and if that means eschewing pre-orders bonuses in order to wait for the reviews so be it.
    Holy **** that is one of the most adult things I've read on here in awhile.

"Corporation: An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility."
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

That it's a corporation just means that the decisions were made specifically to maximize shareholder value at every perceived opportunity. You can say that no one person can be held responsible for eating all these beloved developers, but the fact of the matter is, EA's been pretty damn consistent in its practices: The last year EA went without acquiring a developer was 1993. You can look all those studios - even the ones making EA's flagship products - and see the variety of stuff they made before their acquisition, and their needle-like focus after their acquisition.

That's the fault of the corporation. I may not be able to knock on somebody's door, but that just means a Fight Club ending sequence may be in order.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

I was just making fun of the single line "a corporation isn't a person". With a video of someone saying something ludicrous about them.

And there is never going to be a time when that quote isn't hilarious. Sorry Mitt, it's your legacy now. So take it and run with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    @Kadayi: I agree that the EA that scorned people several years ago is not necessarily the same as the current. However, their culture is horrible and stains their products generally.
    This. The passive aggressive stance against Mojang IMO was a great example.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Activated Node
    If you click the little blue icon next to a name in a quote, it sends you to where that quote originated.
    Thanks. That sig was cracking me up.

Obscure Node
    Anyone who flat out refuses to listen to their market and force their own ideas of 'gaming' deserves to lose money. This is especially the case when EA have had genuinely great games in the past (Battle for Middle Earth 1+2 immediately spring to mind).

At least they're not Activision! Right?

...right?

Guys?

Aww, c'mon guys - don't leave me hanging...

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronSky View Post
    At least they're not Activision! Right?

...right?

Guys?

Aww, c'mon guys - don't leave me hanging...
    You mean ActiBlizzard?

Yeah, there was a match forged in the deepest pits of hell.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

You mean ActiBlizzard?

Yeah, there was a match forged in the deepest pits of hell.
    My thoughts exactly. Somehow SimCity seems to bring me back to that fateful Diablo 3 launch debacle...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    @Kadayi: I agree that the EA that scorned people several years ago is not necessarily the same as the current. However, their culture is horrible and stains their products generally.
    Well if you feel that way then don't buy them. Frankly I'm amused by the sheer number of people here who constantly bitch and moan about EA games, and yet without fail they continue to buy them as if they somehow lack self control. I felt pretty burned over MW2. I wasn't really into it for the MP, but I enjoyed MW1 and thought it would be good, however I found the story line pretty moronic and kind of insulting too (where as MW1 was OT, but not without some merit). So I decided to call it quits on Activision, and I've not bought a game from them since. Now that's not to say that I'll never buy another title from them again (who knows Destiny might turn out to be good), but I'm very much in the let's wait and see camp Vs jump aboard the hype train. So far they haven't delivered anything that's screamed 'must buy' to me Vs 'I think I'll pass'.

I don't eschew Acti out of some misplaced idea that somehow Bobby Kotick is going to be driven to greenlight better games over a lack of my money, (Boycotts are bullshit imho), I just figure I can spend my gaming budget elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by tradaa View Post
    Holy **** that is one of the most adult things I've read on here in awhile.
    I'm also less inclined to believe that EA are somehow "eviler" than BP, Goldman Sachs or Apple in truth.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 17-03-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    What we need is a hero.

(I blame Saints Row the Third for making me think of that)
    This. As soon as I read the quote, that song started playing in my head. Daaaamn you Saints ;).

On topic; No.
    Last edited by ShEsHy; 16-03-2013 at 09:36 AM.
    Building, fixing and using PCs since 1999. Only PCs. Always PCs.

Well if you feel that way then don't buy them.
    I will not pass up games I'll enjoy. I've bought ME2 and M3 and I really liked the multiplayer in 3. I must've spent more time in multiplayer than single, actually. I also got KoA, but it was on that 5 euros sale.

I also have Dragon Age Origins and 2, and I'll probably buy the 3rd if they learned from what was wrong with 2. If they didn't, there are the Kickstarter RPGs that I've backed because I trust the people behind them so it's not like it'll be like Dragon Age 2. I knew it would be sub-par especially after the awesome button debacle but there weren't many PC rpgs.

I didn't buy anything else from them, so I'm hoping the message I'm sending is exactly what sort of thing I'm interested in. I'm willing to pay for good games, even good DLC. If they stop selling things that I like, I'll stop giving them money. Especially now that there are a lot more variety in many genres that I enjoy.

I'm also less inclined to believe that EA are somehow "eviler" than BP, Goldman Sachs or Apple in truth.
    Any reason why we can't discuss them on a gaming website if we don't mention other companies we don't like either? We're on the topic of one of their products and service, how would it make sense to start talking about Goldman Sachs?

And who's calling EA "evil"? People are mostly talking about how stupid their decision today and past decisions were.