Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar

[RPS] A Call to Arms

I thought it could be good to get most of any discussion around last night's event into a separate post, to keep stratgir clean.

First a couple of facts and personal observations.

Cooper reported a peak of 115 outfit members online! That is more than twice our regular numbers for strategic nights. Many of these were new players, and some of them were old players who came back after a time off. It was good to have you all on, old and new alike!

I PL'd for one platoon, Nick for the other. Cooper took care of most of the introductory stuff with the newest players, while Nick and I took the old outfit members and the more experienced PS2 players who joined for the event. We had a separate channel for coordinating the movements of the three platoons, which worked out alright, if not perfectly.

As PL, I spent the first hour or so, leading from the backseat, so to speak, mostly having to manage platoon invites and squad balance. This probably reflected in the quality and quantity of my orders.

We started out capping some mostly empty NC territories near our warpgate, except for one particularly hot fight for Silver Valley Arsenal against a big force of at least three NC outfits. We then spent some time (too much, someone thought, rather vocally) advancing to and trying to crack Auraxis Firearms Corp, a very defensible location.

During most of this time Nick's platoon was mostly fighting the TR up north, and we had superiority in numbers until the TR saw what was going on and brought the GOONs over there. Most of the rest of the night was spent on the defensive against bigger numbers, while the NC and TR seemed to both be hitting us rather than fighting eachother. A rather reasonable response, given our previous push.

In the end it seemed that we were the Vanu presence on Amerish, and we had grown tired of that fight. So those of us who were left at that point left for Indar at around 23 UTC, where we did good headway, nearly gating the TR before the servers went down to apply a hotfix, at which point we lost the advantage there.

Nick and Cooper, feel free to fill in the details of your platoons, and anything you feel that I missed so far.

We were very focused on taking care of the influx of new players, and were not at peak efficiency, naturally. Still, I think we did a good job overall, and I had a fun, if a bit stressful, time leading my platoon. There was very little shooting of lasers for me, though.

How was the experience playing during the event? I'd love to hear from both new players and old.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Well, we were not very effective in grabbing territory, but after the lull of the first hour passed we had constant fights and a lot of fun. Auraxis Firearms was easily the highlight.

Great night, and I hope all new players return!
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    In Nick's platoon on Amerish (at least in Alpha), we spent quite a while looking for a fight - we warpgated the TR without any of them really fighting us, and came a bit late to the Auraxis Firearms. We didn't really get stuck in until Crux HQ started falling to TR, which was a shame (although Split Peak was good). The new guys did get good at the drop, secure point, mount up pattern though.

And then, stuff I posted in StratGir earlier:
    So some thoughts on last night:

1. That was pretty mental. I saw as many as 107 outfit members online at once - we may even have had more. That's a long way up from previous peaks of 60-70, and similar to some of the big US outfits I think.
    2. I think some of the other Vanu leaders were a little irritated that we were so busy with ourselves that we couldn't really coordinate. I hope they understood though.
    3. Despite the numbers, we were weak though. Apparently all that experience and certs does add up to something. I saw my 10 -man alpha squad get wiped by half their numbers a couple of times. Equally, we were vulnerable to armour, air and had a harder time taking out sundies than usual. (Note - I'm not complaining here at all, just observing. This sort of thing will obviously improve, and it had no effect on my enjoyment of the night)
    4. We were more flexible than I'd feared. Recalls to warp gate were slow and painful, at least for P2 Alpha. However, if a Sunderer or Galaxy was brought in to the squad's current location, people happily jumped in quickly and efficiently.
    5. New players are better at sticking together than the old hands. As they don't really know what they are doing, they follow someone who they hope does. We must be able to learn from this somehow.
    6. Everyone seemed pretty good sports in general, although a lot of the new people were quiet. Speak up, new people! It was fun, if kinda stressful.
    7. Oh god the Admin work. It was awful. We really need to nag SoE about A: fixing the the squad recruitment bugs and B: making commanding less painful.
    8. I forgot to make notes for doing an AAR. Can maybe try, but don't think I really remember enough now. Also got very little good video. Sorry.
    9. People seemed generally pretty happy to be told what to do
    Last edited by CMaster; 15-03-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Thinking along the lines of battle reports... I thought of something that would be a beautiful feature:

Picture an old style war room map... it would be great if we could (as PL's) draw arrows/lines on the map to represent the movements of squads. Imagine being able to set waypoints for each squad individually, and even movement lines and formation tactics... it would be really useful if i could, say, draw a line for delta to flank around one side, and alpha the other... or something like that.... im not sure how technically feasible it would be, but similar things have been done in games like arma etc, even if to a basic level.

The only issue i see, is giving completely free reign of drawing on the map ... could obscure things or draw large penis pictures... maybe the ability to draw basic primatives..

Just for the record... id be more than happy to take up a space in a newbie platoon, if we decided to have a dedicated one (given demand)... it would be nice to have all of the new people in one platoon, with a few other members who arent afraid to speak up and help out with questions/chat to the new people.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 15-03-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Thinking along the lines of battle reports... I thought of something that would be a beautiful feature:

Picture an old style war room map... it would be great if we could (as PL's) draw arrows/lines on the map to represent the movements of squads. Imagine being able to set waypoints for each squad individually, and even movement lines and formation tactics... it would be really useful if i could, say, draw a line for delta to flank around one side, and alpha the other... or something like that.... im not sure how technically feasible it would be, but similar things have been done in games like arma etc, even if to a basic level.
    Sounds like the game needs Outfit HQ locations/buildings (maybe at the warpgate as a new building that instances for players in a single outfit)

I enjoyed the way the platoons were set up last night. A sort of 'landing pad' platoon for new people trundling along and then every now and again a pulse of players moving into the more strat/tactical ones. It meant people wanting to get a feel for the game (or shake the rust off) could stay in the first one, those wanting a more focused fight move into the other.
    I had great fun last night in CMaster's squad, is was a little sluggish at times but new blood is always needed and it won't take that long for people to get up to speed. That tower fight was truly epic with our Sunderer charge totally messed up by the server restart!!!

Regards,

PurpleSnow.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    The lowlight for me was RIDEBIRD teabagging me. Fuck you Ridebird Though tbf the whole afk flash kill justified it
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus

If you kill me when I'm mapreading, by balls will end up on your face.

Also I just couldn't help it, my hate for scatmaxes is quite unhealthy, sorry..
    Find me on the Steams

I absolutely loved it. Cooper did an absolutely stellar job as usual. Some more inter-platoon coordination would be great - while squad chat was great, I couldn't help but feel like I was a teeny weeny little cog that wasn't necessarily part of a bigger whole. Although there were some absolutely epic battles.

But yes, I did feel like the massive influx of new people may have affected efficiency from time to time - maybe we want to consider putting new people in a separate squad/platoon with a few older people to show them the ropes?
    Last edited by Crimsoneer; 15-03-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks for organising this, everyone. I managed to double book myself and couldn't make it in the end. I will do another CTA at the start of April.

Crimsoneer - inter-squad and platoon comms lacked since we had so, so many new people to teach and to make sure they were enjoying the game. For comparison, on a normal strat night we have 40-50 people to care for. Now we had 107.

We also discussed your mentioned approach and sort of did that, with Cooper shuttling them over. Stratgir will be the same ol' stratgir in the future, with hopefully two platoons worth of veterans

Jim - thank you for the call to arms! Next time at least I would appreciate some more heads up, but we got everything together, largely due to Cooper. So props to him! I think our system worked very well, and we only had one bad apple out of about 50 new people. That speaks volumes for the RPS community, I think.
    Find me on the Steams

Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
    Thanks for organising this, everyone. I managed to double book myself and couldn't make it in the end. I will do another CTA at the start of April.
    That's a shame. But yeah, I agree with Ridebird; it was a good initiative. A breath of life to the community!

Qaz and CMaster, you both moved posts from the stratigr thread here, but I can't see them. Could you double-check?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    We had a fuckton of people last night. Around 100 in about 8-9 squads, i think? Overall it went quite well, and delta1 had pretty good environment for the new people (lots of explaining etc), but was still pretty good with recalls etc.. Anyway, it unfortunately never felt like we were even close to a hundred chaps on the battlefield. This is partly due to the TR bastards and their ghostcapping, and partly due to us splitting up a lot. When we have that many people, it'd be great to see at least one push with 8+ full galaxies.

Also, what was up with the comms? The squadleads were seperated by platoon, it seems. Was Eso in charge of all squads, or did wardancer and cooper both do their own leading? As always, i think that a single supreme giraffe should be in charge of everyone, with the second (and third) PL being SLs or a liason. I feel that this is necessary for us to be able to leverage the numbers we have.

EDIT: Yes, i'm a slow copy paster lol

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My post should be number 3 in the thread. I don't see any notes on moderation, but nobody has necessarily indicated they read it either.

I think it's really important to keep newbies mixed in, having seen some of how things worked last night. A majority new squad has trouble dealing with anything other than pure inf, and doesn't have people to follow, rez effectivley, etc.

Also, I'm inclined to agree with Qas, that even if comms need splitting, an overall leader to say A1 here, C2 here, etc is A Good Idea.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I was just a squad lead for Bravo in the "stratgir" platoon. But as far as i know we were pretty much 2 separate platoons doing our own thing and PLs talking to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    We had a fuckton of people last night. Around 100 in about 8-9 squads, i think? Overall it went quite well, and delta1 had pretty good environment for the new people (lots of explaining etc), but was still pretty good with recalls etc.. Anyway, it unfortunately never felt like we were even close to a hundred chaps on the battlefield. This is partly due to the TR bastards and their ghostcapping, and partly due to us splitting up a lot. When we have that many people, it'd be great to see at least one push with 8+ full galaxies.

Also, what was up with the comms? The squadleads were seperated by platoon, it seems. Was Eso in charge of all squads, or did wardancer and cooper both do their own leading? As always, i think that a single supreme giraffe should be in charge of everyone, with the second (and third) PL being SLs or a liason. I feel that this is necessary for us to be able to leverage the numbers we have.
    The highest number I've heard was 115 members online at one point, according to Cooper. We had 4 squads each in my and Nick's platoons, I guess Cooper had at least two? So 10-11 squads.

Yeah, splitting up that much was probably a bad call for yesterday. We gained a lot of territory in the beginning, but then lost most of it when we couldn't pull off an organised response to the TR pushing back. I should probably have just put us all together a bit sooner for a decisive push, and just left Mekala to its fate, rather than leave charlie and delta there for so long.

A very good point about making a concentrated push. It would have been good to do that just once, for all the new guys to see. Just pile up in 10 mostly full galaxies and drop all over an amp station or tech plant. If we do this again, as might be fairly soon, if Jim gets his way, then please do remind those in leading positions, so that we get it done. It'd be sad if we missed that opportunity again.

Inter-platoon coordination was done by committee, which was a bad call. We certainly should have had a Supreme Giraffe to direct both platoons to make sure that we were being effective. Maybe, chatting to 8 or 10 squad leads would become a bit much, though?

Should certainly have had a liaison however. It'd have been good to have someone else relieve the pressure from the NC on the east flank, so that we could concentrate on the TR, for instance.

Obscure Node
    I was one of the new boys last night and to tell you the truth it all looked very well organised from my point of view. I joined the chat and was the put into alpha squad after a while where instructions to us newbies were clear and the fighting was good. I also signed in today(this morning) and had another good time. <br>
    My work pattern is quite erratic and I will usually be on at different times of the day/week but I will definitely be carrying on with this as I had a blast. Thanks guys.

Network Hub
    I've had a great evening yesterday. Thanks for the organization!
    I was in alpha squad of esotericreverie's platoon (can't say which one it was).
    I hadn't come back in the game since christmas and because of the call to arms I was driven to try again.
    I had almost everything graphic turned off and the game was awful but at least it was fluid but in the thickest of battle.
    The squadleading was really good, thank you again.
    I sure need training with the game and with squad-work, but i guess sticking on thursday will help on those matters.

I thank all of you again for the work achieved.

Activated Node
    Just wanted to say thanks to Cooper and the other vets that lead us newbies around. PS2 is very confusing to jump into without having RTFM beforehand, and you guys made it more manageable.

I found I was having terrible performance in game (10-20fps), and I just found this guide which may help alleviate that: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...mething.59528/
    Hopefully that helps any other new people with performance issues who felt they were mostly cannon fodder.