[VS] Tuesday 11th 19h BST : Tactical Testing & Training Session #3

This time I'm making a new thread to announce next TTT, so that people will see it better, and we can get it sticky a few days in advance.

What is TTT ?
    see this thread : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...ining-Tuesdays If you want to discuss TTT, suggest ideas for future sessions, or read previous reports, everything is in that thread.

This thread is dedicated to our Session #3 : Watchtower Assault (part 2) ! Tuesday 11th 19h BST (20H CEST)

So during session #2 we wanted to talk about the different aspect of Watchtower assault, but only managed to work on Gal drops during the 1H session. So this session #3 will focus on what we hadn't had time to talk about : Assaulting the stairs as a single squad, Using a full light-assault squad to get on first floor and Scythe + Squad Deploy

As usual, we will first think about the problems at hand, then come up with solutions, and finally practice them.

Remember everyone is welcome, both Beginners and Veterans ! We discuss and practice together, so the more people there are, the best ideas we will come up with, and even if you think you already know everything, it's good to 1- share it 2- practice it with others people.

You do not need to know what happened during Session #2 to come to Session #3
    Last edited by Ksempac; 04-06-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Might be worth asking participants if they are willing to run over time to cover more of the topic, especially if the topic isnt finished in the time you expected. Most people will be playing on, I would assume, so it makes sense to cover that content at the time.

People that want this session would probably have been willing to stick around. Its possible that some wont be able to come to the second session too, so they might miss out.

maybe run the session for 1:30 if something gets missed in the first hour.. You could ask people if they are up for the extra time, of course.

This would also mean that we could run a different session for the following TTTT.

Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Might be worth asking participants if they are willing to run over time to cover more of the topic, especially if the topic isnt finished in the time you expected. Most people will be playing on, I would assume, so it makes sense to cover that content at the time.
    That's exactly what I did. When the gal drop subject was over, it was near the 1h mark, and I asked people if they wanted to go ahead with the others topics, or push them back to Session #3

Everyone (at least those who voiced an opinion) voted to push them back to Session #3. Everyone thought it was better to keep the session short rather than risk having people getting bored.
    As I already said this is not me doing/teaching stuff, this is about everyone doing/learning together, so it makes no sense for me to decide all by myself how we do theses sessions. Remember people, TTT are not my personal project. Everyone can organize a TTT. It just so happens that for now I'm the only one who organized sessions.
    Having said that, it was fine for me because first my personal preference was the same (i didn't want to rush the others items of the session), and second, I had no specific subject planned for Session #3 (and no one put any specific session idea since I've introduced the concept of TTT).

Also I wouldn't be surprised if we need a Part 3, because Session #3 could get long depending on how much practice we do.
    Last edited by Ksempac; 04-06-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Fair enough, if you did give them the option thats cool. The session running over a bit wouldnt be too bad an idea anyway, because I dont think people would get bored tbh. The first TTTT wasnt boring at all.

1:30 seems like a good place to put it, but its up to you/whoever runs the session I guess. Im assuming you have a plan of sorts for what to cover, so im sure you could plan the information into the time slot. It would be good to keep being able to provide people with a good range of content in the event (which Im sure you did provide), and hopefully people wont start dwindling in numbers if the same general subject is repeated a couple more times.

That said, this second session sounds more interesting. Coordinating a ground based assault of the tower using several angles of attack would be much more useful. We tend to do gal drops quite a lot, which is great, but being versatile is good..

Lots of roles that are possible, like hacking terminals, setting up turrets to pin down corridors, and covering people who jump down.

Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Im assuming you have a plan of sorts for what to cover, so im sure you could plan the information into the time slot.
    I don't. That's the whole concept. Again, it's not me teaching stuff (which I wouldn't be able to anyway) but an open discussion that is fueled and oriented by what people bring to it.

When I set up a TTT, that's because I found a subject that is :
    - tactically important (ie knowing about it provides an advantage on the battlefield)
    - something that can be improved through practice (weapons stats are tactically important, but you don't require a specific training to buy a weapon in the store) or doesn't already have a definite solution ("how to overload the horizontal generator" has a known answer).
    I then launch the TTT about that subject. I may come to the TTT with some ideas about the subject, which I can use to launch the discussion, but then it's completely out of my hand, and it may branch out in areas I hadn't anticipated / thought about.

For Session #1 I thought I knew about the Shield Breaker Sundy and thought I had only a few questions to solve...yet I ended up learning a lot more than expected. Session #2 was even more free-form than the previous one (because the subject has less technical and had more open aspects) and that was great.

And maybe one day I will set up a session about something I know absolutely nothing about (that makes me think...Air squad might be an interesting TTT subject).
    Last edited by Ksempac; 04-06-2013 at 11:13 PM.

Fair enough. That is a good way of doing it I guess.

What im saying though, is that maybe some sessions with a plan would be a good thing at some point. Sessions where whoever is leading it will know about the subject and give us some structured tutorial.

An example of this being that GAL flying thing that somebody was going to run.

During one of the meetings quite a while back, I did suggest training be on tuesdays, so I think its a great day to do it, but for some reason it got voted in to the sunday slot instead (though nobody really used it).

There is no reason I can see why we could not, or indeed should not, use TTTT for both your style of discussion tutorial and more structured specifics tutorials (i.e. flying).

It would be entirely down to the leader for that session as to which structure to use, and of course there will always be player suggestion. The tutor always has space to learn, even when they are great at their preferred method. Structure is a bit of a loose term, too, because I mean more a set of ideas that you can schedule in and move on to, much like in the meetings.

One idea: One session, several tutors. The idea being that, for the hour period, each tutor takes a small group at a time, and gives some general tips for one particular area.

An example of this could potentially be: 6 tutors, one for each class. Say there is a group of x people, those x would divide into 6 teams, and pair up with a tutor. For the next 15-20, or whatever, minutes, that tutor will go through their preferred kit, giving as many tips and strategies as they can, varied as possible. After this time, the teams rotate to the new leader.

Its just an idea, and a rough one at that, but I think running a session in this kind of style would be great. Not only does it fit in a lot of information into the time perios, but it also allows people to rotate in groups through the different tutors play style. The tutor would be learning all the while, and be able to pass on tips from the previous group. It also makes the size of group easier to manage...

Alternatively, to save repetition (though sometimes repetition is good in teaching) you could do a similar thing, but with the whole group for 20 minute slots. Each tutor will lead the whole for 20 minutes, and at the end of that section the next tutor will lead the next topic.

There are many ideas we could potentially formulate for this, but it would be interesting to see some variation .

Anyway, ill stop interfearing and let you get on with it. I was just trying to suggest some ideas, so that hopefully it didnt run over.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 05-06-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Network Hub
    I asked in the training thread if anyone had any expertise they wanted to share and didn't get a single response. I think Ksempac's freeform "let's discuss" style works better for this group than specific tutors, but I'd love to see more of either style. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by darkweeble View Post
    I asked in the training thread if anyone had any expertise they wanted to share and didn't get a single response. I think Ksempac's freeform "let's discuss" style works better for this group than specific tutors, but I'd love to see more of either style. Keep up the good work!
    Well you asked at a particular time in our lifespan. I mean to have a system set up that will allow people, now and in the future, to be able to run either a freeform session, or a tutor lead structured session. Both are equally as valid as one another. One allows you to learn more from one another and have a discussion, but restricts the topics that you can cover in a period, while the other restricts the amount of discussion a little more, but allows you to fit multiple topics into a smaller time span.

To me at least, training sessions with a tutor imparting their experience and TTT sessions are two entirely different sort of things. I would be wary of mixing them up so that in TTT we don't lose the feeling that anyone can jump in and offer ideas and thoughts on the thing we're looking at. Not that we can't have training sessions of the sort you describe too, I'm just not sure it's a good idea to have it under the TTT banner is all.

Oh and the Gal training did actually happen, Artorious did it a few weeks back.

ESF+Squad Deploy is becoming a fairly common tactic now, INI use it against us all the time. If we can successfully mainstreamify it so a platoon can use it effectively and get it disciplined, then all of us can use it on regular nights to good effect. Definitely turning up to this one.

There is nothing that would stop people having their say in a regular training session, and it makes perfect sense to have it under one training name.. In fact it makes less sense to me to split the idea into two differently run training sessions. Training tuesdays is exactly what it is..

What im getting at is that there is nothing to stop us using different formats for different types of session, based on what the topic is going to be. Its often the case that somebody might not need to offer input.. That isnt to say that questions arent going to be welcomed, because thats integral to ANY training session.

It does make sense to give it a different name : it allows people to immediately know what's gonna be the format and whether is concern them or not.

I want TTT to be interesting for everyone, vets and beginners alike. The more people who comes, the better the session. So my hope is that when people sees "TTT session", they think "I should try to join", because that will be useful for everyone involved.

On the other hand, a classic training with a coach will be useful only for beginners and a few vets who will act as coaches. Others vets aren't needed and would probably find the session boring because they already know what is taught.

That's why i prefer to keep the TTT name for the specific open format I introduced. It would get confusing for everyone involved if the format changed for each session
    Last edited by Ksempac; 09-06-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Agree with Ksem that 'TTT' meaning 'advanced tactical brainstorming session' is a probably a good idea. Introductions to Gal flying, guided tour of base layouts etc, which are better taught by one or two tutors, will probably be rarer and are probably best described as they are (eg. 'Introduction to Galaxy piloting'), so beginners know exactly what they are.

Re: squad deploy, the important part seems to be getting everyone to drop together and work towards a specific goal (eg. hacking a terminal and pulling sundys), so that you can make a lasting impression and not just die valiantly.