Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Battlefield 4. Hmm. I'm sure they'll find some way to fuck it up, my guess is microtransactions but with an in-game F2P-like currency to make it even worse. Still, I'm interested for now, I quite like BF3 (even though I haven't even made 300 hours despite pre-ordering the game and buying Premium).

Edit: Is it weird that I've just noticed every poster in this thread so far joined in 2011?

EA can fuck off and die with their mod killing and micro transactions, not getting BF4.

I have Arma 3 so who cares.

I'm pretty badly burned out on shooters. BF3 was fun for quite a while and I think the premium thing was pretty good value in the end. It's rare to get an enjoyable game though, teams are usually unbalanced in skill so badly that other one just flat out dominates. It's not fun to be on either side in those cases.

So yeah, probably won't be getting the next one unless it has gun handling mechanics from Receiver.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    And this is why I no longer play BF: Annualized release schedules.
    as opposed to previously? oh wait:

2002 Battlefield 1942
    2003 Battlefield 1942: The Road to Rome
    2003 Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII
    2004 Battlefield Vietnam
    2005 Battlefield 2
    2005 Battlefield 2: Special Forces
    2005 Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
    2006 Battlefield 2: Euro Forces
    2006 Battlefield 2: Armored Fury
    2006 Battlefield 2142
    2007 Battlefield 2142: Northern Strike
    2008 Battlefield: Bad Company
    2009 Battlefield Heroes
    2009 Battlefield 1943
    2010 Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    2010 Battlefield: Bad Company 2: Vietnam
    2010 Battlefield Online
    2011 Battlefield Play4Free
    2011 Battlefield 3
    2011 Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand
    2012 Battlefield 3: Close Quarters
    2012 Battlefield 3: Armored Kill
    2012 Battlefield 3: Aftermath
    2013 Battlefield 3: End Game
    2013 Battlefield 4

granted a lot of them are expansions, but we had a bf game of some form or another every year for past 11 years
    Last edited by grasskit; 18-03-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Battlefield 4 is going to be a 2014 release apperently.

So yeah, probably won't be getting the next one unless it has gun handling mechanics from Receiver.
    I would personally love a "Loader" position in the Abrams :D.

Activated Node
    I'm pretty sure BF4 will be even more a deviation of the series to an even stronger CoD style. It will probably have a useless million dollar wasting single player campaign and the mp will be broken on launch.

Just stating what we all more or less know already. I really tried with BF3, but in the end it just didn't provide enough fun. Something that was broken/silly/unbalanced would constantly get in the way of a game that actually looked promising. I was playing it with friends for weeks (months even maybe) until we went back to TF2 and noticed we were having more fun there and not bitching all the time.

It also didn't help that most of the community appeared to actually enjoy the endless spam-fest in that horrible metro map.

After the horrific launch issues BF3 had because Origin buggered up I swore I'd never bother with the franchise again. These days I've decided to also not bother with EA again

Yeah no thank you.

I love BC2, BF2 and the original, but I refuse to bother with these new ones. Why? Fuck EA, that's why. XD

Besides, they seem to be "streamlining" these games with each new installment and then milking the living shit out of the crowds with that wonderful DLC in the shape of new maps and stuff. Shit that you used to get for free with mods...
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grasskit View Post
    granted a lot of them are expansions, but we had a bf game of some form or another every year for past 11 years
    Shhh. Don'tcha know, the old Battlefields were the paragons of never gouging you on DLC/expansions :p
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Bf3 was one Battlefield too many for me.
    That said, BF1942 is my favorite FPS ever. Sad they couldn't keep that up.
    Oh well, I will have a self righteous smirk when I don't buy BF4.

first bf4 screenshot unveiled.
    by preordering you get access to famous nuketown map also!

Quote Originally Posted by grasskit View Post
    first bf4 screenshot unveiled.
    by preordering you get access to famous nuketown map also!
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Preorder for priority access to servers.

It's only a matter of time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Preorder for priority access to servers.

Hurk

Hurrrrrrk
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Bf3 was one Battlefield too many for me.
    That said, BF1942 is my favorite FPS ever. Sad they couldn't keep that up.
    Oh well, I will have a self righteous smirk when I don't buy BF4.
    I am sure you and most of RPS will be patting each other on the back for having that smirk even if it is a brilliant FPS game.

There are probably 5 of us on the whole of these forums and board with the guts to say we actually enjoy BF3 and like what it has done for the genre. Everyone else seems to relish in talking about how it is all crap since 1942 and how the DLC and release model have killed it (conveniently ignoring those posts like the one above showing how the series has always had expansions/DLC and released frequently).

The last two DLC for BF3 have been incredible and while the game got off to a rocky start, I think it is now one of the best FPS ever. Now I don't see any need in my life for BF4 beyond BF3, but I am paying attention because it seems like DICE are always pushing something new and interesting. What seems to piss off fans is that when they do something new and interesting it doesn't always include everything from the previous version.

I will admit I miss the tactical usefulness of the destruction in BC2, but when I go back to that game I miss a lot of the more balanced and interesting aspects of BF3 infantry combat. People can whine about Metro and choose to forget Karkand nade spamfest from BF2 or think that TF2 was never filled with 2fort instant respawn 48 man servers, but the reality is that all of these great games have those little bits about them.

I have run servers for a clan since the Insurgency and later COD4. I can easily say that the DICE support for RCON tools and plugins is the best I have ever seen and I don't miss the modding at all. It is a different world today and my clan mates probably bought 6 games on the last steam sale that they would rather be playing on those days where BF3 doesn't suit their fancy than trying out some variation of BF3 and struggling to populate with the pathetic community a mod can draw (remember that even at its peak Project Reality had less people playing than the paid for BF2 expansions). Just think about how many multiplayer games you had on your computer when you played Desert Combat, compare that to today. The number of hours in a day has not increased and BF3 has actually come with more modes, maps, vehicles, weapons, etc. than those old games.

So spew your EA hatred and nostalgia and be proud of yourself for agreeing with the RPS groupthink. Others of us will just smile as we play great games like BF3.
    Last edited by Misnomer; 22-03-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Honestly, my only complaint on BF3 (aside from too much sniping, but that is PC shooters in general) was that they basically set the DLC train up to end right before BF4's release. They were adding all this cool stuff, but there was a clear point where the vast majority of the playerbase would leave.

Of course, I am a strong proponent of just making it a subscription game anyway. That way we get the constant stream of content and no worries about suddenly getting a cutoff.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Honestly, my only complaint on BF3 (aside from too much sniping, but that is PC shooters in general) was that they basically set the DLC train up to end right before BF4's release. They were adding all this cool stuff, but there was a clear point where the vast majority of the playerbase would leave.

Of course, I am a strong proponent of just making it a subscription game anyway. That way we get the constant stream of content and no worries about suddenly getting a cutoff.
    Dunno, but from what I have heard, BF4 will be released next year in march, and it looks like the DLC train has ended with endgame... so we will have to do another year with this content.

And honestly, that's fine with me. I actually do not really like the subscription model you propose. Sure, geting new content every few bits is nice and all that, but sometimes it is actually a good idea to call the game finished and move on to the next great thing, instead of having gradual increases.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
    There are probably 5 of us on the whole of these forums and board with the guts to say we actually enjoy BF3 and like what it has done for the genre.
    I liked BF3's multiplayer.

I fucking hate what it has done to the genre. The unlocks. The server browser. The DLC. The high cost for private servers. The annualized release schedule to keep up with the Joneses at Infinity Ward.

If they want me to pay a monthly fee to play this game, they'd be better served charging me a monthly fucking fee so I can just ignore it altogether instead of dealing with their obvious monetary treadmill.

You know why people still long for the good old days of Q3A and UT2k4? Because you got so much game for your dollar and the game actually lasted long enough for a community to be fostered around it. By comparison, the last CoD I touched was MW, because this shit is ridic and I don't want to keep buying the same game every goddamn year.

BF3 killed BFBC2, and thus all my investment in BFBC2. Why would I let BF3 invite me for the same when BF4 is looming on the horizon?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
    I am so cool because I'm a non-conformist. GIVE ME ATTENTION
    Fixed. You're welcome.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Preorder for access to servers.

FTFY

I have never used a /10char in my life. Uh.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?