Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

Tactical usage of numerical scores

Just a thought, but has RPS ever considered giving games numerical scores based solely/mostly upon consumer friendliness? I'm not generally a fan of ratings, but given the increasing influence that Metacritic scores seem to have over publishers, it might serve as a small incentive for them to have less severe DRM and be a little more honest in general (especially if a few other websites followed suit).

You could subtract points for infractions such as DRM (probably with a sliding scale for severity), multiplayer games not allowing for private servers and lying about/misrepresenting the game while awarding points for things like mod support and comprehensive graphical settings.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lordcooper View Post
    Just a thought, but has RPS ever considered giving games numerical scores based solely/mostly upon consumer friendliness? I'm not generally a fan of ratings, but given the increasing influence that Metacritic scores seem to have over publishers, it might serve as a small incentive for them to have less severe DRM and be a little more honest in general (especially if a few other websites followed suit).

You could subtract points for infractions such as DRM (probably with a sliding scale for severity), multiplayer games not allowing for private servers and lying about/misrepresenting the game while awarding points for things like mod support and comprehensive graphical settings.
    On a scale of Orange to 76, I give this a rating of Q.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    You are in a generous mood, I wouldn't have scored it above porpoise-.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Perhaps specific points about PC settings and DRM in a little box would be cool. Not ratings but just strings of words kinda like sentences.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Yeah that way I wouldn't have to read the entire article before getting angry in the comments. Would save a lot of time.

Network Hub
    Thumbs up or thumbs down. No angsty "but you gave it an 8.8 when eurogamer gave it a 9.5", just a simple thumbs up or thumbs down.

There's also the issue of a bad game that's super-nice to the consumer. Do you give it a high score? No you don't -- that would be misleading, and then you inevitably have to start factoring in the quality of the game into the score and the consumer friendliness system falls apart.

That said, Able Gamers (http://www.ablegamers.com) review games solely on how accessible they are, and their system works quite well if you know that going in.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    BULLSHIT! Everyone knows that "feeling of waves lapping at feet" is the only score for this.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I smell a shill!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    BULLSHIT! Everyone knows that "feeling of waves lapping at feet" is the only score for this.
    I give it 5 peggles and one 'fart in your general direction '.

No ratings, never. Games are not cars. If you're too lazy to read a text and comprehend the presented arguments as to why a certain game is a piece of shit (or not) then work on your attention span.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MOKKA View Post
    No ratings, never. Games are not cars. If you're too lazy to read a text and comprehend the presented arguments as to why a certain game is a piece of shit (or not) then work on your attention span.
    Video games: Helping shorten our attention spans since 1972.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Normally I would argue with you about how we exist in a far more information-rich environment than ever before and therefore have to be a lot more selective about attaching importance to bits of information, which old people and indiscriminate cynics like to pretend is the malady of a diminishing attention span.

But that doesn't really hold here. The writers of RPS are mostly competent, and capable of making a case for why a thing is important in the opening statement. Plus if you're interested in a game, then information about that game will be important, so why would you want to skip it?
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
    Thumbs up or thumbs down. No angsty "but you gave it an 8.8 when eurogamer gave it a 9.5", just a simple thumbs up or thumbs down.
    But RPS reviews never have that sort of conclusion, nor should they.
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

Which is why we need those long texts!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    You mean 1873

Quote Originally Posted by Danny252 View Post
    But RPS reviews never have that sort of conclusion, nor should they.
    Nor do they call themselves reviews, it's "Wot i Think" because it is a personal subjective opinion.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    The day RPS starts attaching numbers to WITs is the day I stop reading them.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    The day RPS starts attaching numbers to WITs is the day I stop reading them.
    I stopped reading ages ago because putting the time and date of posting the WIT numerically was too much like giving the game a score.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Network Hub
    Apparently you were too lazy to read my post. I wasn't proposing the ratings as a measure of a games quality, but as a means to discourage anti consumer practices by hitting publishers in the only place where it seems they can feel pain (i.e. the metacritic score).