Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Usually people hesitate before confessing that they have no friends.
    Surely a serious PC gaming forum is exactly the appropriate place for saying that. Have we dumbed down to the point of mostly being normal people? How depressing.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Surely a serious PC gaming forum is exactly the appropriate place for saying that. Have we dumbed down to the point of mostly being normal people? How depressing.
    You seem to think gamers are elevated above normal people.

Most would consider it the other way around.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar

As a serious PC gamer I can seriously say that I seriously have serious friends.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

You seem to think gamers are elevated above normal people.

Most would consider it the other way around.
    Most people also think Lady Gaga is talented, or that Jerry Seinfeld is funny, or that Scott Pilgrim vs The World wasn't an overhyped piece of moose shit.

You see it's a not a matter of being above or below anyone. I simply exist on a different metaphsyical plane then your average consumer of bullshit and Taylor Swift.

If this makes me unlikable, then too bad. If people can't be bothered to see me for anything other than ill perceived aloofness wrapped in snide banter than the problem is on them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    As a serious PC gamer I can seriously say that I seriously have serious friends.
    Serious friends sound boring, why not have whimsical friends instead? Anyway, I once saw you defending some games company on some subject on this forum, so clearly you aren't a serious gamer, and are probably a shill.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Serious friends sound boring, why not have whimsical friends instead? Anyway, I once saw you defending some games company on some subject on this forum, so clearly you aren't a serious gamer, and are probably a shill.
    Dammit I've been found!!

BUY MIDWAY GAMES!!!
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Herald View Post
    Most people also think Lady Gaga is talented, or that Jerry Seinfeld is funny, or that Scott Pilgrim vs The World wasn't an overhyped piece of moose shit..
    LIAR!!!!

Nobody thinks Jerry Seinfeld is funny. People instead think Larry David is funny and that Jerry Seinfeld was an okay comedic actor.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Obscure Node
    Wisconsin (I'd like to be in Kansas), USA
    I guess I'll break this up a bit, and just say: "D'awww wasn't that nice of Creative Assembly..." alright you guys can continue now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordcrazy View Post
    I guess I'll break this up a bit, and just say: "D'awww wasn't that nice of Creative Assembly..." alright you guys can continue now.
    Man visits Creative Assembly offices, dies shortly thereafter.
    Coincidence?
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    You see it's a not a matter of being above or below anyone. I simply exist on a different metaphsyical plane then your average consumer of bullshit and Taylor Swift.

If this makes me unlikable, then too bad. If people can't be bothered to see me for anything other than ill perceived aloofness wrapped in snide banter than the problem is on them.
    "Wah wah wah everybody's dumb unthinking sheep unworthy of consideration!

Also, why can't they see me for the special snowflake I am?"

The irony is palpable.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Nobody thinks Jerry Seinfeld is funny.
    Seinfeld not being funny is a trope almost as old as... Seinfeld.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Activated Node

See also: A High School Student

Network Hub
    Seinfeld not being funny is a trope almost as old as... Seinfeld.
    Argh, you did not just link me to tvtropes.

the force of unexcellence is strong in this one.

look, mr dead herald, its nice that everyone hates you and your life is shit; but noone here will be shit to you. well, except when you give them a reason to.

also hypernetic, chill. nobody here is saying you shouldnt commemorate your own loved ones that died, but to be fair, that's your perogative and imagine youd be forced to commemorate your customers as a developer. I'd hate it.

nalano, I love that you always seem to find the exact bit of the discussion that is sore. love, Q.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    Man visits Creative Assembly offices, dies shortly thereafter.
    Coincidence?
    I think not. Better send in another one just to be sure, though.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    I think not. Better send in another one just to be sure, though.
    xkcd: The Difference

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dsch View Post
    My point is that it is just as stupid. You can either explain how it's not stupid in either case or make an argument for why it's not stupid in games, unless you just want to keep screaming the same line in lieu of making a point, which, I suppose, would not be out of place on here.
    Alright fine, I'll take the bait.

Shopping at a store is completely different from gaming. Have you ever played an MMO? Been part of the same guild for an amount of time? How about an FPS clan or something similar? Any kind of gaming community? There is comradery, friendships, and even real relationships and marriages forged out of said guilds and clans. Our gaming accomplishments might not mean a damn thing in the grand scheme of things or in the real world at all, but in the gaming world they do.

I'm not asking for game companies to go out of their way and have a memorial in every game (i'm not asking them to do anything at all really), nor am I asking for them to have a personal memorial to every gamer who dies. I just thought it would be cool if in some largely static game worlds (such as WoW or any other long running MMO) they had a memorial type place where you could go to pay respects to online friends who have passed, similar to how you would go to their grave in real life. Developers wouldn't even have to do anything, gamers could pick an existing in-game graveyard or monument and dedicate it to this purpose themselves.

As to how your shitty Walmart analogy is irrelevant I don't go to Walmart with a group of 100+ people every night for 5 years and slay dragons in aisle 9. Shopping at your local big box store is completely different from enjoying your hobby with good friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    the force of unexcellence is strong in this one.

look, mr dead herald, its nice that everyone hates you and your life is shit; but noone here will be shit to you. well, except when you give them a reason to.

also hypernetic, chill. nobody here is saying you shouldnt commemorate your own loved ones that died, but to be fair, that's your perogative and imagine youd be forced to commemorate your customers as a developer. I'd hate it.

nalano, I love that you always seem to find the exact bit of the discussion that is sore. love, Q.
    See above.

Also "woe is me" hipster man pretty much did say exactly that. Something about how the death of people we care about isn't important because they didn't sacrifice themselves in honorable combat.

Oh I dont like the walmart analogy either, but thats the thing, games do not equal game communities. If the community is fostered by the game itself, as in MMOs or multiplayer games or similar, then yes, obviously, why not do stuff like that. But if youre making games that do not have any kind of multiplayer of competitive aspect. Meh?

Which begs the question, why commemorate at all? I mean, if you knew him/her or played with him/her for many years, then yeah sure, but Id feel ackward about "having to" mention or say something about someone that died. More especially because not everyone views death the same way, and Id feel weird if you didnt know the guy personally in some way (even if just from voice chat and multiplayer) and youd say hes a loss to the community/game.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Oh I dont like the walmart analogy either, but thats the thing, games do not equal game communities. If the community is fostered by the game itself, as in MMOs or multiplayer games or similar, then yes, obviously, why not do stuff like that. But if youre making games that do not have any kind of multiplayer of competitive aspect. Meh?

Which begs the question, why commemorate at all? I mean, if you knew him/her or played with him/her for many years, then yeah sure, but Id feel ackward about "having to" mention or say something about someone that died. More especially because not everyone views death the same way, and Id feel weird if you didnt know the guy personally in some way (even if just from voice chat and multiplayer) and youd say hes a loss to the community/game.
    You wouldn't have to do anything. Maybe I'm not conveying my thoughts clearly, but my idea is something pretty simple. Just some little monument off somewhere in the game world with maybe a little plaque on it with a short message like "To our fallen comrades" or something. Nothing special. And no it wouldn't be in every game, and certainly not single player games. I just thought it would be cool if someone did something like that, even if it was only in one game. I'm not suggesting it be some kind of industry standard or anything.

If you have nobody to mourn or commemorate then you'd never have to visit that area of the game, or you could just walk past it without a moments thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    You wouldn't have to do anything. Maybe I'm not conveying my thoughts clearly, but my idea is something pretty simple.
    I don't think your idea is that hard to comprehend.

Honestly folks, this is like giving out about options in games like auto-blocking or aim assist in single player. You might never use it, but someone will and it takes nothing away from you because they have the option.

I've had mates that I've met through MMOs, people who lived in countries that I'd never be able to get to, who have died. I'd love it if WoW had a day dedicated to them, where somewhere in the world people could gather peacefully and buy a crappy little virtual stick of incense or flowers and place them on the ground. Such a small gesture can mean a lot to people.

Steam ID

Network Hub
    It was a 'shitty' analogy, as you so nicely put it, because it was designed to demonstrate the absurdity. Having said that, I do see your point now (look, it's the magic of explaining yourself rather than abusing people!), though I still think it would be more meaningful if you all came up with a way to memorialise someone yourselves rather than have a generic one for everybody.