Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    So is this a cutscene character or is he going to die again and again in the game?
    Shit, that would make a pretty cool Philip K. Dick style story. Dude dies but is reincarnated in a video game and is abused by the player. All You Need Is Kill, ancient Rome version.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Ignoring the whinge-fest and escalation:

I also really liked what Gearbox did with Borderlands 2. A pretty popular forum-user/fan of the series died, so they made him a character in the game (the guy who you run into who gives you a free gun of good quality). Especially nice because he is a "Vault Hunter" which is essentially code for "King of the badasses" in Borderlands-speak.
    Yeah, I liked that too, especially as he also got an achievement (Tribute To A Vault Hunter - Got an item from Michael Mamaril) and it got players discussing the best ways to find him and so on. The first time I found him and he said something like 'see you out in the field' or something, it got me thinking that his friends would probably have heard the same thing (ok, so it's not his voice (I think he'd passed away before Gearbox even knew about him)) and gotten all emotional over it. Maybe.

In short, the tribute was really well done in many ways. It's a shame he doesn't pop up more frequently and isn't a little more obvious when he is around, but still, it just makes it that little bit more exciting to see him.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Actual News Story: Aww isn't the world nice

Actual Thread: Sometimes I despair at humanity why are you so hateful and cynical about this?!
    No hate, just cynicism. And believe you me, I have earned my fucking cynicism.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    It would be very easy for a developer to include some sort of "tomb of the unknown gamer" in their game. It could be a shrine in an mmo, a memorial in an fps, a building in SimCity.

It could easily be done. From reading it Hypernetic doesn't want a memorial for just his friends, but for all the gamers who die year on year.
    This is exactly what I was saying. Do I expect it or think people deserve it like a "tomb of the unknown soldier" kind of thing? No, I just think it would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    This is exactly what I was saying. Do I expect it or think people deserve it like a "tomb of the unknown soldier" kind of thing? No, I just think it would be cool.
    I don't think any of us threw ourselves in front of speeding bullets to save freedom and democracy for the quiet, huddled masses. Those that did already have the aforementioned monument.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Herald View Post
    I don't think any of us threw ourselves in front of speeding bullets to save freedom and democracy for the quiet, huddled masses. Those that did already have the aforementioned monument.
    Oh fuck off with this shit. I just thought it would be a nice thought for all the friends/family we've all lost over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Offhand I can think of two other examples of fans appearing in an official video game. One guy had his face scanned and put on an NPC in the Onderon cantina in Knights of the Old Republic 2. And Norris from System Shock 2 is based on real-life fan Brian Norris. He even got to voice his own audio logs. I believe both of them were featured in their respective games because they won a contest.

Of course with the success of recent Kickstarter projects, having fans make a cameo appereance might become a more common occurence in the future.
    World of Warcraft has a few tombs carrying the names of dead fans and family members. Hell there is a really famous one http://www.wowwiki.com/In_Loving_Memory and a few others are around here: http://www.wowwiki.com/Category:Memorials
    Morrowind too:
    There are three unique ashes in Morrowind:

• Ashes of G. Lyngas, located in Ravel Ancestral Tomb. There are also four Glass Throwing Stars in this urn.
    • Ashes of Lord Brinne, located in Samarys Ancestral Tomb. There is also the Mentor's Ring in this urn. Lord Brinne was the online name of Bill Iburg, an Elder Scrolls fan who died unexpectedly during the development of Morrowind. The urn, and his ashes, were placed in the game as a tribute. Lord Brinne also received similar tributes in other games that were in development at the time: Might and Magic VIII, Deus Ex and Ultima IX: Ascension.
    • Ashes of D. Bryant, located in Falas Ancestral Tomb. There is also the Denstagmer's Ring in this urn.

These three are all dedicated to former regulars at The Elder Scrolls Forums, all of whom passed away during production.

It's not really something without precedents, back in the 90s a lot of games already included references to fans or family members who passed away

Oh fuck off with this shit. I just thought it would be a nice thought for all the friends/family we've all lost over the years.
    Oh, well that explains the issue. I see my "family and friends", whom over the years have treated me like utter subhuman shit, as vile invertebrate scum who are undeserving of such a gesture.

My dogs, as I previously explained, were immortalized in a hidden location deep within a Minecraft server run by more vile, invertebrate scum. Unless they wiped the world map, which is possible.

In either case, I have no need for such a monument.

my "family and friends", whom over the years have treated me like utter subhuman shit, as vile invertebrate scum
    There is probably a reason for that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Oh, well that explains the issue. I see my "family and friends", whom over the years have treated me like utter subhuman shit, as vile invertebrate scum who are undeserving of such a gesture.
    Usually people hesitate before confessing that they have no friends.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I just thought it would be a nice thought for all the friends/family we've all lost over the years.
    Not all of them, just teh gamerz!
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    You should play multiplayer FPS type games and look at the ground so your character is bowing its head and say something about dead anonymous gamers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    The in-game reference is nice, but what I think is most important is the day this young man got to spend at Creative Assembly and the much appreciated respite this must have given him from his daily worries. What a great initiative by the Willow Foundation!
    That's what I was thinking. Adding a memorial to a game, ie just a named tomb/plaque, doesn't really take that much effort. But they took time out to spent time with the guy it seems like, which is the nice part.

There is probably a reason for that.
    Humans are inherently evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Usually people hesitate before confessing that they have no friends.
    Honestly, were not breaking any new ground with these dime-a-dozen insults.

Humans are inherently evil.

Honestly, were not breaking any new ground with these dime-a-dozen insults.
    I think it's probably more along the lines of you not being a likable person.

Network Hub
    Why would you want it in a game though? Would you want the local [checks location] Walmart to have a plaque saying, 'For the Anonymous Shopper: They Shopped Long, Hard, and Well'?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think people here need to remember that you can't choose your family but you can choose the people who've been nice enough to say that they enjoyed what you created - instead of just pirating it and then swearing about it as if you were entitled to an opinion anyway...

I'd actually like to see developers putting people who abuse their work into their games as combat practice dummies or people hanging in dungeons or in strapped into beds hospitals - auto-tweeting pleas for mercy to their hacked Twitter accounts when you find them - posting their death status to Facebook when you kill them etc etc - that would be cool :)

Moving away from the gratuitous (but serendipitous and just) violence if I may - as someone said, there are a few memorials in WoW and the best bit about them is that when you find them, you'll do a bit of research to see what they're about and that's just more reasons to explore the GREATEST GAMEWORLD EVER MADE - yes, really, THAT.

I remember spending ages wondering what the 'hard to climb into' rock near Crossroads was - there's the Hunter on the platform in Shattrath as well and so on - all good in my eyes - oh I need to go back there again...

Quote Originally Posted by dsch View Post
    Why would you want it in a game though? Would you want the local [checks location] Walmart to have a plaque saying, 'For the Anonymous Shopper: They Shopped Long, Hard, and Well'?
    I don't give a fuck about Walmart, I'm talking about games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Reminds me of Blizzard, WoW's Make-A-Wish request:

http://wow.joystiq.com/2007/05/22/bl...g-wow-to-life/
    Got to visit Blizzard.
    Help design a character, quest, add his dog and put in voice clips.
    Design a pvp crossbow.

In game gravestone for friend of developer who passed away:
    http://www.wowwiki.com/In_Loving_Memory

At least 1+ graves with passed away developers, tho the focus of the thread is Fans being put into games.

Nowadays you can pay via Kickstarter to get yourself or a character you designed into the game. Seems to be a common high tier reward for many Kickstarters. Best part of these make a wish as some of mentioned is being able to visit the developers of a game you enjoy a lot and get a in house look how it happens. In game reference/character is icing.
    Last edited by Moraven; 20-03-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Network Hub
    I don't give a fuck about Walmart, I'm talking about games.
    My point is that it is just as stupid. You can either explain how it's not stupid in either case or make an argument for why it's not stupid in games, unless you just want to keep screaming the same line in lieu of making a point, which, I suppose, would not be out of place on here.