Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Zero. In fact the gaming industry would be better off in the long term if ALL the big publishers crashed and burned. The industry is complete shit presently.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post

And for crying out loud, merchandising? No thanks, please don't. Different cultures are different.
    What's that again? I see quite a bit of Western merchandizing. Perhaps not as widespread, but it is certainly there.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...20birds%20toys

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...Ck%3Ahalo+toys

http://store.valvesoftware.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Sega already failed in the hardware department lets not forget.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    On more reflection, I can think of one. Interplay. If we lost the publisher that released Alone in the Dark, Baldur's Gate, Carmageddon, Planescape Torment, Earthworm Jim, Fallout, MDK, and Descent I don't know what I would do.

Wait, what?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    It was a Deus ex quote.
    This war all around us is being fought over the very meanings of words.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
    What's that again? I see quite a bit of Western merchandizing. Perhaps not as widespread, but it is certainly there.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...20birds%20toys

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...Ck%3Ahalo+toys

http://store.valvesoftware.com/
    Yes, of course it's there, just look at every Collector's Edition ever. I'm just saying that it's a pretty niche category (except for kids with Angry Birds stuff) and that the average Western gamer probably isn't interested in spending a bunch of money on it. I steer well away from anything of the sort and I don't think I know anyone who likes it.

Also, there's movies based on games, but... well, I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Yes, of course it's there, just look at every Collector's Edition ever. I'm just saying that it's a pretty niche category (except for kids with Angry Birds stuff) and that the average Western gamer probably isn't interested in spending a bunch of money on it. I steer well away from anything of the sort and I don't think I know anyone who likes it.

Also, there's movies based on games, but... well, I rest my case.
    And one of those, Resident Evil, is one of the biggest performers at the box office every time they release it.

As for collectables, I collect action figures and some of them are from games! It's a massive industry and there's plenty of people who spend money on them.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    EA, Activision, Valve can be mentioned in the same line. I think Valve's numbers are far lower that the other two, but they have a lot of fans (I'm not one, but I don't hate them either) and they have a killer application that makes others play catch up.

EA might have troubles recently, but sales of Sims, sports and other games I don't care about are mind-boggling. I think it's too early to say they're becoming obsolete. Maybe once a kickstarter project passes 10 million.

Maybe EA and Activision will be falling the way Microsoft is - gradually losing their grip on the marketplace. MS used to strike terror into hearts of IT companies. Now they're just another player with a dirty history, dirty tactics, and an advantageous position. IBM still exists, but do you know there was once a saying "No one was ever fired for buying IBM" ?
    pass

Banned
    Microsoft.

I really wish xbox would die.

This is from a Bungie and Halo fanboy I might add.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Capcom: Monster Hunter (4.7 million sold for their 2010 release in Japan Only, 1.9 mil for Wii version), Devil May Cry, Lost Planet(hey must be making enough to get 3 games), Dragons Dogma had a good launch, Dead Rising.

Konami has not put much out as of late other than Metal Gear and Castlevania and a few non sellers.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    Zero. In fact the gaming industry would be better off in the long term if ALL the big publishers crashed and burned. The industry is complete shit presently.
    When the industry burns and all publishers are torches, then RPS shall at last... be at peace.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    When the industry burns and all publishers are torches, then RPS shall at last... be at peace.
    Nah, the angry gamers will just start raging against the more successful indie devs.

"EA is dead? Fuck Cliffski, positech has made too many sequels!"
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Isn't there already that sort of vibe with the Braid guy?

I always felt the hatred toward him was more because he made an "artsy" game.

And the current hatred is because he "sold out" to Sony.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lets not forget it's his fault that indie game devs stopped trying to be inventive and just tried to be Braid 2.0*

*semi-joking-semi-accurate statement

Steam ID

If we're gonna complain on that aspect, I think the blame goes to whoever the original devs of CounterStrike, Day of Defeat, and Team Fortress were (the people Valve bought) as well as Epic. That is what really killed modding as we knew it because it meant that you could get a meaningful job by being part of a mod team for a total conversion (Epic exascerbated this with the Make Something Unreal contests). End result was we basically saw the death of the small mod and the rise of the Total Conversions which later died when things like Unity and standalone Unreal Engines made it just as easy (if not easier) to make a new game rather than a mod. Combine that with rising barriers to entry (YOU try making your first model fit in with the UT3 models) and the people who had the ability wanted to be indie devs instead.

Everyone wanting to be "the next Braid" was just a symptom of the whole "I make an indie game and become rich and famous" mentality that grew.

Of course, those indie games also breathed new life into PC gaming, but that is too positive for this thread :p

That's too positive for the internet, never mind a single thread.

Steam ID

Banned
    Some people do give that impression at times.

When the last publisher is strangled with the intestines of the last developer...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    The humor is that the gaming world has had multiple mass-extinctions. It's still here, stronger than ever. Where there's demand, there will be companies to fill them.
    Funnily enough, EA survived them all too. Main reason it's one of the largest publishers in the world today.

Don't think there's any that would particularly leave a large gap though. If Sony or for that matter the entire Japanese gaming industry went over it'd be bad news for Playstation owners, and pretty much unnoticeable for everyone else. Any of the large cross-platform devs disappearing would simply find the gap filled by their competitors.

PC wise the only publishers I'd see as being a problem would be Microsoft and Valve, and in both cases it has sod all to do with game publishing.