Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    When I said Kickstarter got $50,000 in 2012, I was thinking mainly of such games like Heroes of Might and Magic, Dungeon Keeper, other Bullfrog games which I love, Command&Conquer (excluding Tiberian sun, but otherwise up to RA2). These games weren't popular just because of eyecandy. War for the Overworld ks got a lot of funding despite having average, or below average graphics by today's standards (what put ME off is the fact they don't seem to have any artists skilled at caricatures). C&C, Bullfrog games, HOMM were among AAA games of 90's. As long as KS can fund games like this but on modern technology (higher resolutions, more memory for textures, levels...) I'm happy.

For games like Quake and DooM - they still have their fans for good reasons, but yes the bulk of their popularity was eyecandy-enabling technology. Quake Live is the same Q3 John Carmack considers a perfect game, and it is (was?) free. But it's not anywhere near as popular as Q3 was. One thing about DooM - it has great artwork. It REALLY makes a difference when you try early press demos (downloadable for free from doomworld.com) and then play the final release. You might not know, but almost all DooM monsters and weapons were based on TOYS-R-US items and clay(?) models. So while the tech and engines are better than in DooM's age, great artists are not easier to get. DooM monster sprites are so convincing (compared to Duke3D from the same era especially) because they were able to see good physical models from all 8 directions. DooM has this pre-rendered feel in some places, for example light reflections on Arachnotron, Spider Mastermind.

Steam users are fanatically attached to it, because they can't switch. If they could, they would try different things and pick the one they like the most.
    pass

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    There are laws to force telecoms, in particulacular cell phone carriers, cooperate with each other. You and your friend don't have to be in the same network. Now try that with with Myspace and Facebook. Pandora, Spotify, Last.fm. You can't easily export your data and go elsewhere. That's why it encourages people to heavily invest into one social network and stick to it. Steam might be replaced one day, but it won't co-exist with something else. One network will always have a lion's share of users in its category.
    Difference is Steam is not a social network, it's a store. I can already buy games on Gamersgate which also activate on Steam, and EA games on Steam I can also activate in Origin. Steam is little more than a middleman - it's the publishers who decide where and how you access their games. What do you think would happen if say EA or Ubisoft decided to implement a policy of having one key which you could redeem everywhere? The systems are already there to do it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Steam is DRM, store, social network and a few things I forgot. People value Steam for friend list feature and notifications.

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck - it's a duck.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    People value Steam for friend list feature and notifications.
    Are you kidding me?

For fuck's sake, I have a dozen programs that wish to control my "friends list." Social networking is the most overhyped bullshit on the internet ever since they invented Likes. I've been using Steam for six years and my friends list looks like this:

Internet buddy
    Internet buddy
    Hypernetic
    MMO buddy
    MMO buddy
    16 fucking people I don't know

I value Steam because it auto-installs and auto-updates my games. Drop the social network and I don't give two shits. Drop the auto-updates and Steam and me are gonna have a fucking problem.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Steams grouping and join features are pretty great if you play a lot of team-based matched with people you know. The autoupdates are handy, but can be annoying if for some reason you don't want them.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I've been using Steam for six years and my friends list looks like this:

Internet buddy, Internet buddy, Hypernetic, MMO buddy, MMO buddy, 16 fucking people I don't know
    And you didn't add me? Well, I'm not saying I'm going to go and cry in the corner, but... no, I've had a bad day, I'm going to go cry in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I value Steam because it auto-installs and auto-updates my games. Drop the social network and I don't give two shits. Drop the auto-updates and Steam and me are gonna have a fucking problem.
    This is pretty much why I give preference to Steam, although I wish more games would adopt the GCF system to make packages neater. Steam's auto-update and installer (when they work, because in my experience they can sometimes randomly fail particularly around new release times) are the two big drawcards that make things more convenient. It's nice being able to go "Huh, haven't played M2:TW in a while, gonna play it again!" and just finding it in Steam and having the latest updated version.

But that said Steam's friend list and overlay (when it doesn't crash) is sort of helpful too, particularly for organising groups. But I ignore the social feed where people post all sorts of screenshots and stuff. I have enough trouble keeping up with Facebook, and I have more Steam friends than Facebook friends (20 on FB, because I'm goddamn exclusive).
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I always imagine some group of folk out there must find Steam's social stuff terrifically useful, but my personal experience mirrors Nalano's. Oh wait, I tella lie. It's handy for my wife if she wants to tell me something when I'm gaming without having to get up. So that's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    And you didn't add me? Well, I'm not saying I'm going to go and cry in the corner, but... no, I've had a bad day, I'm going to go cry in the corner.
    You big baby. Accept the invite so I can snub you on two venues.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Steam users are fanatically attached to it, because they can't switch. If they could, they would try different things and pick the one they like the most.
    I don't see anything stopping them from using GOG, Gamer's Gate, GMG etc other than mild laziness (Do you really have so many games that it's that hard to remember which games you have where?)

Not using Origin I totally get because I don't want EA's Crapware on my computer either but there are plenty of good stores out there besides Steam. A lot of people are just mindless Steam fanboys and don't realize that competition is always good for consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by iridescence View Post
    A lot of people are just mindless Steam fanboys and don't realize that competition is always good for consumers.
    I realize perfectly fine that competition is good.

I have also come to the conclusion that, right now, Steam is the most useful store.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Exactly.

Competition is nice, but only if it provides a better alternative. Right now, Steam IS the best alternative, at least for new releases. GMG is trying to win on the "We have sales out the ass" category and Gamersgate used to be good until it was basically overtaken in every category by other services. And while I love GoG, buying a new release on there is unwise if there is any chance of steamworks integration due to things like the steam workshop and DLC and the like.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I tend to prefer Gamersgate or GOG over Steam in most cases. The Steam "perk" of auto-updating should be considered a negative feature for single-player gamers like me. For multi-player games, auto-updates are obviously an extremely convenient feature.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Auto-updating can be turned off. You just go to the game and say "no steam, I would not like this game to update".
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Auto-updating can be turned off. You just go to the game and say "no steam, I would not like this game to update".
    Launching the game while online will prompt it to start updating though, won't it?
    Last edited by soldant; 22-03-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Redundancy.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Launching the game while online will prompt it to start updating though, won't it?
    Seems hit or miss. I know that at some point Steam changed the way it stores games (probably when they offered the option to pick an install directory) and I had to "update" most of my games. Steam let me play even though things weren't "up to date". But I also know it tends to throw a hissy fit when I tried that with Civ5 when on my laptop.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

I think GamersGate is holding up pretty well - it has a good selection, regular sales, and a growing library of DRM-free choices.

Between it and GOG.com you can find almost every game of yesteryear you'd ever want.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Yeah, I like Gamer's Gate, they give you 5% store credit on everything you buy (not much but it adds up) and their stuff tends to either activate on Steam or have no DRM.

They also have a great selection of strategy games and RPGs including some I can't find on Steam or elsewhere.