Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hmm. Probably the Baldur's Gate series, Planescape: Torment and Ultima VII. I can enjoy the spell casting and character creation options in Baldur's Gate enough to offset its seriously clunky real-time combat and bland setting. Planescape: Torment is pretty much a shit game but the writing often makes up for it. Ultima VII is also a largely terrible game but does so many things right that it ends up being really enjoyable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Jade Empire

Every aspect of gameplay sucks. The combat sucks, scroll-down shooting mini-game sucks, inventory system sucks, they all suck. At least if you play with mouse and keyboard. I had original XBOX but I could not find XBOX Jade Empire: Special Edition imported from Hong Kong. All those imported are the original version.

However, for the 2 months finishing this game (to choose a female character and finish it once, then I put the game aside), I was so deeply involved in the game. I was so amazed how you westerners view our country. Royal blood turned on each other. How commoners overcame harsh life, world of after-life, and so on. Surprisingly, ever to the modern days those still reflect closely our daily life. I speak of this as a common Chinese living in the world of modern mainland China. RPG games developed by China (including Taiwan) tend to romanticize everything, and the style is so Japanese that I was often confused as if those are Japanese import.

Path of neo.
    So stupid and bad that it's great!

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    +1 to Bound in Blood.

To throw my thoughts on "mediocre" into the ring, I would describe a mediocre game as primarily one that is functional but which doesn't excel as a whole. For example, Call of Duty 4 (at the time of its release) was innovative and a blast, and easily recommendable as a superior FPS. Modern Warfare: Black Ops, on the other hand, was simply another offering on the table, not particularly different from any other FPS, let alone superior.

A mediocre game may also be one that is inventive and original but which handles its unique qualities in such a way that true excellence is stopped short. The critical reception around From Dust suggests it falls into this category (haven't played it, so I can't comment on the accuracy of those reviews, but I thought it would be a well-known example).

To get back on topic, I recently picked up Dungeon Siege III, and, though I'm not very far into it, it has MEDIOCRE written in big, screaming letters all over it. But I like the art style, and the emphasis on switching between two different playstyles is a pleasingly different mechanic. The weirdly all-over-the-place keyboard controls push you towards plugging in a gamepad, and doing so reveals a surprisingly clever and engaging use of controls. Its kind of like the Paper Mario series, in that the gameplay mechanics aren't as deep as other games but keep the fun intact by requiring a lot of player input.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'll definitely say Dungeon Siege 3. I guess it's considered mediocre but I loved it all the way through and It's one of the best games of the year so far for me.

I can't really get on board with "Environment Siege" games after Space Siege. What a bad game.
    Maybe the next one darling...maybe the next one

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    The First Templar
    Speak of the devil! It's on sale NOW

is this worth getting for less than $15 doolarios?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicblastoise View Post
    Speak of the devil! It's on sale NOW

is this worth getting for less than $15 doolarios?
    Yes. I paid full price and it was worth it.

Also Advent Rising.
    I think it's a good game (not a mediocre one), and I don't find it enjoyable, I love it.

I think it's got to do with how well it portraits the sense of being incredibly powerful. The story is quite interesting too, with some nice twists. A shame there will never be a continuation.
    Last edited by Tikey; 11-08-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Hmm. Probably the Baldur's Gate series, Planescape: Torment and Ultima VII. I can enjoy the spell casting and character creation options in Baldur's Gate enough to offset its seriously clunky real-time combat and bland setting. Planescape: Torment is pretty much a shit game but the writing often makes up for it. Ultima VII is also a largely terrible game but does so many things right that it ends up being really enjoyable.
    Wha-? Oh..it's you. Right.
    Testing 1 2 3

Apparently 1st templar has a twofer. Anybody want in? It'll be $10 usd and some change as opposed to $14

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Sort of off-topic, but I've been plugging away at Dungeon Siege III and I think that its mediocrity may arise from Obsidian's determination--as seen in various pre-release interviews--to make a game that wasn't, from a technological point of view, a terrible piece of garbage. The framerate is good, the game looks quite nice, and there are tons of nice little flairs (and flares; methinks that someone admires the works of J.J. Abrams) to be seen.

I imagine the team, grim-faced and brooding, meticulously poring through code and excising errors, keeping a vigilant eye out for any of their ambitious writers who might creep up and try to implement some god-awful, complicated mechanic that would create a million bugs and crash triggers. Even now, a visible schism exists in the Obsidian breakroom, now a den of hurtful glares and sullen silences.

Network Hub
    The most recent AvP is the game that first comes to mind though only spending about 3 on it is definitely a factor

Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    I'll definitely say Dungeon Siege 3. I guess it's considered mediocre but I loved it all the way through and It's one of the best games of the year so far for me.
    Same here. It's not GOTY by a long shot- but the fighty bits were damn enjoyable and that's really all that matters for that kind of game.

Also, the music was pretty.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by G915 View Post
    Wha-? Oh..it's you. Right.
    Refute my points.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    What games do you have a fondness for that, objectively, aren't really all that good?

For me, Grand Ages: Rome. Basic city building, straightforward resource management, and simple combat. Yet, each piece is just meaty enough and has just enough nice touches that the whole package works.
    Grand Ages: Rome Gold is $7 on Steam right now.

Refute my points.
    All the games you named are nowhere near mediocre in any sense of the word.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicblastoise View Post
    All the games you named are nowhere near mediocre in any sense of the word.
    And why aren't they? I've given my reasons why I think they are.

Activated Node

Kane and Lynch 2

Had a good time playing through this with a friend. Not a special game by any means but the setting and visuals were different in a good way and the length was right. Not nearly as bad as people made it out to be.

And why aren't they? I've given my reasons why I think they are.
    YOU think they're mediocre. The OP is wondering about games that were considered mediocre by the community-at-large or major news outlets.

If I think a game is mediocre, then of course I'm going to have some fun with it. A mediocre amount of fun. It's axiomatic. Why ask a question with an axiomatic answer? It's pointless. The only other possibility is that he's asking for games that "other people" thought were mediocre but that we (individuals) thought were great. That's the only question worth answering in this context.

Are you being difficult? Or do you honestly think that he meant to ask a question with a self-explanatory answer?