Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obscure Node

Steam adds Early Access Games

As it would seem, Steam has added a new category to its Game tab on the store front. This will bring up games like Prison Arhitect, Gnomoria, and ARMA 3 Alpha to be purchased. Upon clicking on them it will also give a short paragraph from the developers on its current state and what to expect, but otherwise looks like a normal store page. I would guess this is another way to get games from greenlight onto the store without clogging the front page.

So what games that are currently in development are you playing or looking forward to?

My list:
    • Planetary Annihilation
    • Castle Story
    • ARMA 3
    • Project Zomboid

kerbal space program. I've heard so much about it by now and it sounds ridiculously fun and challenging, but it's relatively expensive, given it's not even done yet. Is it tricky in the way that lunar lander is tricky, or is it more the managerial position you play in?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant god View Post
    Is it tricky in the way that lunar lander is tricky, or is it more the managerial position you play in?
    Bit of both. It's probably not Lunar Lander-style but it's definitely not a managerial sim. You'll need to read up a fair bit to do anything other than randomly launch into space. It's a combination of how well you design your ship and how good you are at flying it. It's expensive but even in its current state it's a lot of fun, I'd recommend it.

I'm considering Kinetic Void but it still looks awfully primitive for the $20 asking price. Also hope that Planetary Annihilation comes to Steam Early Access, because I backed that to get into the alpha and can't wait to try it out. While they're at it get Limit Theory on there!
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordcrazy View Post
    As it would seem, Steam has added a new category to its Game tab on the store front. This will bring up games like Prison Arhitect, Gnomoria, and ARMA 3 Alpha to be purchased. Upon clicking on them it will also give a short paragraph from the developers on its current state and what to expect, but otherwise looks like a normal store page. I would guess this is another way to get games from greenlight onto the store without clogging the front page.

So what games that are currently in development are you playing or looking forward to?

My list:
    • Planetary Annihilation
    • Castle Story
    • ARMA 3
    • Project Zomboid
    Castle Story currently uses Steam for distribution of their prototype, but they haven't been approved to be on the Steam store yet. Hopfully they will because right now it looks like a perfect candidate for the early access section.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I'm considering Kinetic Void but it still looks awfully primitive for the $20 asking price.
    I have it from backing the Kickstarter, it is very primitive at the moment. Most of the interesting stuff hasn't been added yet, not worthwhile if you're looking for something to play right now.

They have to consider making a partnership with kickstarter - there're a lot of games there and it would be perfect for post-backing :)

anyone tried that dwarf fortress with tilesets lookalike game?

Network Hub
    Kerbal Space Program is insanely addictive. It has a very good balance (already) between hardcore sim and garry's mod.

My 7 year old loves it, and whilst he is having fun he's actually getting a primer in orbital mechanics.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin' Ranger View Post
    I have it from backing the Kickstarter, it is very primitive at the moment. Most of the interesting stuff hasn't been added yet, not worthwhile if you're looking for something to play right now.
    Oh... well, I guess I'll wait for a while then. Thanks for the heads up.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I backed it for the prototype play in Kickstarter. The Steam release, while having better graphics (which is understandable, pace of progress of development is different in each area), is less feature complete than the prototype. So don't get it right now. :/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I can't wait until they set up the Buy Now and Help Us Code The Game store.

Obscure Node
    This is similar to Alpha Funding model on Desura. They launched it about a year back, where interested users can buy alpha/beta games for discounted price.

really glad to see this on steam now. i suggest Kenshi, Prison Architect and Under the Ocean personally. all 3 are great games and worth every penny.
    Lookin' 4 Indie Bundles? We track 'em! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I already have Arma 3 (and love it dearly), but I'm actually interested in most of these games. Right now I'm itching to try StarForge and, to a lesser extent, Kinetic Void (seems quite, well, void of stuff right now).

Does anyone have StarForge and is it any good? Same goes for Kenshi. I wonder if we'll ever see Vector Thrust on here.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm really interested in Kenshi, but to be honest it just looks too incomplete. It's been in development for years but still gives me the vibe of something started last week.

I did pick up StarForge a while back. Another case of 'promising, but not much actually there right now', though at least SF looks simple enough for development to proceed at a decent rate.

Activated Node
    The concept of Kinetic Void is really interesting, but the developer is either incapable of or unwilling to meet a deadline, as far as I can tell from looking at its Kickstarter page. Not going to drop cash on something which now looks suspiciously like a cash-grab unless someone comes up with some really compelling reason to do otherwise.

What's Star Forge like, at the moment?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think it's more the inability to organize really. They need someone else to move the good work they can do. Look at their forums as an example. Changed 3 times. Each time it seems (matter of opinion, I hate anything not laid out like RPS forums :P ) worse. Looses the old content/users/buzz in the process.

If the programming side of it goes like that, changing GUI/systems every month or so, it will be detrimental to the development.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grasskit View Post
    anyone tried that dwarf fortress with tilesets lookalike game?
    Haven't tried it, what I hear is that it's DF-lite. Might be worth a shot if the DF interface puts you off that much , but don't expect the same depth.

KSP has a fairly up to date demo now, enough to see if you like it before paying.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Gnomoria is DF-lite with some awkward decision ressource-wise, and the interface isn't actually that much easier to use. I don't know. It's too early to say anything, really.

He's giving out Steam keys to people who bought it previously, so that's nice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Gnomoria or Towns?