Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rock, Paper, Spitfire: a squadron outing on War Thunder?

So, I've been playing War Thunder on and off and I really enjoy it. The whole team dynamic with you trying to bomb the enemy ground forces while preventing them to bomb yours is quite interesting (and I find doing torpedo runs exhilarating for some reason, though I tend to fail them abysmally when flak is raging all around me). Teamplay is usually quite absent from public games, though.

Would some of you ladies and gentlemen like to form a squad one of those evenings for a couple of hours of aerial acrobatics? I seem to recall some of you Giraffes and maybe some of you MWO guys played it?

edit: a squadron (their equivalent of clans, if you will) named Rock, Paper, Spitfire has been created in-game and waiting for you!
    Last edited by Skhalt; 10-10-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Hi hi,

I play it (although I dont get loads of time on it at the mo), I'd be up for it but I'm only like Rank 6 british or something so I'm limited in my choices :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    I'm intrigued by the game, I think I'll give it a shot! I'll report back when I have it (:

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Prolar Bear View Post
    I'm intrigued by the game, I think I'll give it a shot! I'll report back when I have it (:
    Cool its pretty good, I like the fact it has 3 modes because I'm not hardcore enough to play simulation modes but I do love the arcadey dog fighting with some realism.

I'd recommend finishing the tutorials and getting in some match making matches to learn the ropes.

Activated Node
    Count me in, I like it.

Blimey, you have to pay real fake money to start a squadron!

Quote Originally Posted by DenieD View Post
    Hi hi,

I play it (although I dont get loads of time on it at the mo), I'd be up for it but I'm only like Rank 6 british or something so I'm limited in my choices :D
    I'm only rank 3 myself actually, but it does make me wonder how things work in a squad. Hoping the game will let us play together regardless of our rank, though I suspect the best case scenario is that the matchmaker will put us in a game appropriate to the highest ranked pilot in the squad and that might make things difficult for new pilots.

Quote Originally Posted by izal View Post
    Count me in, I like it.

Blimey, you have to pay real fake money to start a squadron!
    Oops it seems I got confused with the various in-game terms, I was just proposing to gather and play as a group one evening (so a squad apparently, not a squadron), not necessarily to create a guild.
    Last edited by Skhalt; 21-09-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Obscure Node
    I'd definitely be interested in some team play. It's quite frustrating not having anybody to come help you when you're being pursued by 4 enemies.

I'm rank 6 in USSR planes, but I've leveled up some of the other nations too.

I'm trying the tutorials and I'm enjoying it so far!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Been playing it for a while now and enjoying it so far. There currently is no kind of clan support or the like, is there? Would make things a lot easier.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Skhalt View Post
    I'm only rank 3 myself actually, but it does make me wonder how things work in a squad. Hoping the game will let us play together regardless of our rank, though I suspect the best case scenario is that the matchmaker will put us in a game appropriate to the highest ranked pilot in the squad and that might make things difficult for new pilots.
    The higher pilots can just drop down to a plane within a rank or 2 of the other players. Or even better, we could just all pick a country we haven't played yet and only play that country when we're all together.

It depends what kind of game we choose to play at any rate, in arcade mode the countries don't really matter. If we choose semi-historical, I think Japan might be a good pick since I rarely see them in queue so the matchmaker would probably find us games more quickly. Queues are quick enough as it is so it's not really important though.

Anyway, when do you guys want to do this? I'm not available this Thursday (it's my birthday :D) but every other evening is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    Been playing it for a while now and enjoying it so far. There currently is no kind of clan support or the like, is there? Would make things a lot easier.
    There are "squadrons" which seem to be just that, but it costs 2500 virtual space eagle bucks to create one (which is 14$ IIRC). I don't mind paying as soon as I get my next paycheck (next week), but if someone else wants to go ahead and do it, you're quite welcome.
    Last edited by Skhalt; 23-09-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Creating ingame clans costs money? Wtf?
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Obscure Node
    Still interested guys (and girls ?) ?

I haven't played much but I wouldn't mind playing with you people!

I have just created the Rock Paper Spitfire squadron! (tag -RPS-)
    Simply drop an application and I'll accept it next time I'm online. I'll try to check every evening this week, and will promote those who posted here to the officer rank so that you can accept applications too.
    How about an inaugural flight Thursday or Friday?

Activated Node
    I'll be flying for a bit today. I'll make a mumble channel when I'm in game.

I'm in. On US server as Raaritsgozilla

Network Hub
    Dropping by to see if anybody else has recently picked up War Thunder. I got interested again with the Ground Forces beta. Realistic battles are cool and remind me of the time when I used to play IL2 Sturmovik and I'm very happy for mouse aim because I couldn't hit anything with a joystick. So far my greatest (and only) accomplishments in RB are shooting down a rearming Spitfire on an airfield and doing a barrel roll to have a pursuer overshoot me.

I'm in if you allow casuals. If the clan costs real money, then reserve the spot for someone more reliable. :)
    Last edited by zanchito; 13-05-2014 at 08:14 AM.

Hello, anyone still playing this?

I just resurrected a really old thread on this without realising there was this thread. doh.