Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

CPU & mobo recommendations please!

Currently got a 4 ish year old system, got a few extra quid so thought I'd upgrade a bit.

Current : AMD quad 2.4 socket am2+, Cheap Asrock mobo, 4gb ram, nvidia 9800gt

Looking at keeping the gfx card for now, whats my best bet for a new cpu and mobo? Also guessing I'll need some more ram as this is ddr2.

Currently looking at something like this: [AMD Bulldozer 4.2ghz with Asus M5A mobo, 155] http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-Bulldo...item20d08613ff

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    my advice: save up for the end of this year. It will pay off big time. The above cpu/mobo combination you mentioned is going to be obsolete by then anyway. Don't waste your money.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    my advice: save up for the end of this year. It will pay off big time. The above cpu/mobo combination you mentioned is going to be obsolete by then anyway. Don't waste your money.
    You have GOT to learn to read what people are asking and not just steam in with "wait - MASSIVE POWER COMING SOON" to every thread dude - some people just want a decent PC which costs 'not very much' - can't you understand that - can't you read what people are actually asking for?

OP - I'm with you on the overall idea but I'd probably try to get a better mobo - that's a 760G board and lacks SATA III - this board seems popular for cheap builds and has that

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4122#ov

I came across this deal when looking for inspiration yesterday, it's an assembled bundle for less than the cost of the parts - see here

http://www.awd-it.co.uk/amd-bulldoze...d-ddr3-memory-
    against
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/LdiN

If you're OK at self-assembly, you could change that spec to include faster (1600) RAM/swap to a newer Piledriver 4300 (quad) and save a few bob into the bargain and so on.

I'm wondering how much of a step-up you'll notice tho - it will depend on the games you're playing because you already have a quad core which is what some games need but then your GPU is getting a bit ancient and that's what a lot of other games need.

What do you play now? Which AMD do you have right now (Phenom or Athlon x4?) and what issues are you looking to solve.

I have an Athlon x2 and that's my problem, it's just maxing-out in newer games, I need more cores (and I'm half-tempted just to shove an Athlon x4 in there as a supercheap step-up)
    Last edited by trjp; 21-03-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    You have GOT to learn to read what people are asking and not just steam in with "wait - MASSIVE POWER COMING SOON" to every thread dude - some people just want a decent PC which costs 'not very much' - can't you understand that - can't you read what people are actually asking for?
    I don't think you should be suggesting anything though, since you bought and built a PC that can't run current games. How useful is your advice if your own system sucks?
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't think you should be suggesting anything though, since you bought and built a PC that can't run current games. How useful is your advice if your own system sucks?
    My advice relates to his question - your advice is to wait for some indefinable thing and to tell him stuff will be 'obsolete' when it isn't - which is more useful?

My PC was all I could get for the 200 I had at the time - it was a good upgrade and it's done what I wanted since - I could get 150 for it today too - what's wrong with that then?

Also, you're committing Ad Hominem which suggests you're shit at arguing so why should we think you know what you're talking about with PCs either?

Seriously - EVERY thread you enter you derail by not reading the question and then get into personal, tangential arguments with people. I don't have anything against you personally (unlike you against me it seems) but it would help people if you'd stop trying to help people I think ;)
    Last edited by trjp; 21-03-2013 at 05:31 PM.

My advice relates to his question - your advice is to wait for some indefinable thing and to tell him stuff will be 'obsolete' when it isn't - which is more useful?

My PC was all I could get for the 200 I had at the time - it was a good upgrade and it's done what I wanted since - I could get 150 for it today too - what's wrong with that then?

Also, you're committing Ad Hominem which suggests you're shit at arguing so why should we think you know what you're talking about with PCs either?

Seriously - EVERY thread you enter you derail by not reading the question and then get into personal, tangential arguments with people. I don't have anything against you personally (unlike you against me it seems) but it would help people if you'd stop trying to help people I think ;)
    I'm a blunt person so maybe I seem as if I am trying to offend you.
    I honestly want to know, if you yourself have not managed to build something up to standard, what makes your advice of any value in this specific topic? Hey, maybe you are a master IT guy, but when it comes to PC hardware internals...
    Steam profile

Thanks for all the responses
    What do you play now? Which AMD do you have right now (Phenom or Athlon x4?) and what issues are you looking to solve.
    It's a Phenom 9650

I play Guild wars 2, Red Orchestra 2, Planetside 2, having a few problems with gw2 and ps2, mainly when a lot of stuff going on (the more people the choppier). My assumption is the CPU and Mobo is the bottleneck. I know the card is relatively old, but thinking the best bet for now is the CPU route.

I suppose in regards to new games that are cross platform on the next gen consoles, that is definitely true. However this upgrade is supposed to be an interim thing, hence I'm not spending a huge amount of cash on it. Thanks for the advice though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    The 9800 Pro and Athlon 64 were already ~4 years old by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    The 9800 Pro and Athlon 64 were already ~4 years old by then.
    ok then swap out the 9800 pro for an ati x1900xtx and the athlon64 for an athlon64 x2. Same result.
    Steam profile

ok then swap out the 9800 pro for an ati x1900xtx and the athlon64 for an athlon64 x2. Same result.
    Found a review for the x1900xtx where it ran Oblivion at max settings just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Found a review for the x1900xtx where it ran Oblivion at max settings just fine.
    the review that states a minimum framerate of 15fps is just fine? wah?

I was running oblivion with a minimum framerate of 50fps back then on an 8800gtx.
    Steam profile

the review that states a minimum framerate of 15fps is just fine? wah?

I was running oblivion with a minimum framerate of 50fps back then on an 8800gtx.
    Minimum framerates aren't representative, mainly because scene loading usually incurs a short framerate drop. In any case, this was at MAXIMUM settings.

Actually, the X1900XTX is above the recommended spec for Witcher. Above. Recommended.

The 9800Pro on an Athlon64 is the minimum spec and should also run.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Actually, the X1900XTX is above the recommended spec for Witcher. Above. Recommended.

The 9800Pro on an Athlon64 is the minimum spec and should also run.
    and the requirements on the box are always accurate of course. thanks.

I remember capcom stating that Devil May Cry 3 would run on a Pentium II on their min. requirements thingie. Very accurate.
    Steam profile

1280x1024 was a typical or above-average gaming resolution in 2006. Even today, 1280x1024 and equivalent or lower resolutions make up about half of the computers registered in the Steam hardware survey.

So you could play Oblivion on MAXIMUM settings at a good resolution with the x1900xtx. With older cards you could surely have run it at lower settings. Anandtech confirms that by testing older cards at high settings. Lower settings would clearly have been playable.

This thread went a bit mental but anyone kind enough to read my OP, I'm still open to suggestions. Cheers, be happy!

It references 155 pounds. Is that the budget? It's really hard to shop for computer parts if you don't know how much someone is willing to spend.

(I'm assuming you're just shopping for CPU, mobo and RAM)

Yea I was looking at a low spend, so sub 200 or thereabouts, or any ideas are welcome. And yes, just CPU mobo and RAM.

Might be able to squeeze in an FX-6300 then, though with the current spike in RAM prices it'll necessitate a pretty cheap motherboard.

Say an FX-6300 for 106, some Patriot DDR3-1866 for 40 (because I couldn't seem to find DDR3-1600 that was much cheaper and didn't have 1-2 months shipping), and a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 for 52.