Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Network Hub

CPU & mobo recommendations please!

Currently got a 4 ish year old system, got a few extra quid so thought I'd upgrade a bit.

Current : AMD quad 2.4 socket am2+, Cheap Asrock mobo, 4gb ram, nvidia 9800gt

Looking at keeping the gfx card for now, whats my best bet for a new cpu and mobo? Also guessing I'll need some more ram as this is ddr2.

Currently looking at something like this: [AMD Bulldozer 4.2ghz with Asus M5A mobo, 155] http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-Bulldo...item20d08613ff

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    my advice: save up for the end of this year. It will pay off big time. The above cpu/mobo combination you mentioned is going to be obsolete by then anyway. Don't waste your money.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Network Hub
    I suppose in regards to new games that are cross platform on the next gen consoles, that is definitely true. However this upgrade is supposed to be an interim thing, hence I'm not spending a huge amount of cash on it. Thanks for the advice though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    my advice: save up for the end of this year. It will pay off big time. The above cpu/mobo combination you mentioned is going to be obsolete by then anyway. Don't waste your money.
    You have GOT to learn to read what people are asking and not just steam in with "wait - MASSIVE POWER COMING SOON" to every thread dude - some people just want a decent PC which costs 'not very much' - can't you understand that - can't you read what people are actually asking for?

OP - I'm with you on the overall idea but I'd probably try to get a better mobo - that's a 760G board and lacks SATA III - this board seems popular for cheap builds and has that

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4122#ov

I came across this deal when looking for inspiration yesterday, it's an assembled bundle for less than the cost of the parts - see here

http://www.awd-it.co.uk/amd-bulldoze...d-ddr3-memory-
    against
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/LdiN

If you're OK at self-assembly, you could change that spec to include faster (1600) RAM/swap to a newer Piledriver 4300 (quad) and save a few bob into the bargain and so on.

I'm wondering how much of a step-up you'll notice tho - it will depend on the games you're playing because you already have a quad core which is what some games need but then your GPU is getting a bit ancient and that's what a lot of other games need.

What do you play now? Which AMD do you have right now (Phenom or Athlon x4?) and what issues are you looking to solve.

I have an Athlon x2 and that's my problem, it's just maxing-out in newer games, I need more cores (and I'm half-tempted just to shove an Athlon x4 in there as a supercheap step-up)
    Last edited by trjp; 21-03-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    You have GOT to learn to read what people are asking and not just steam in with "wait - MASSIVE POWER COMING SOON" to every thread dude - some people just want a decent PC which costs 'not very much' - can't you understand that - can't you read what people are actually asking for?
    I don't think you should be suggesting anything though, since you bought and built a PC that can't run current games. How useful is your advice if your own system sucks?
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't think you should be suggesting anything though, since you bought and built a PC that can't run current games. How useful is your advice if your own system sucks?
    My advice relates to his question - your advice is to wait for some indefinable thing and to tell him stuff will be 'obsolete' when it isn't - which is more useful?

My PC was all I could get for the 200 I had at the time - it was a good upgrade and it's done what I wanted since - I could get 150 for it today too - what's wrong with that then?

Also, you're committing Ad Hominem which suggests you're shit at arguing so why should we think you know what you're talking about with PCs either?

Seriously - EVERY thread you enter you derail by not reading the question and then get into personal, tangential arguments with people. I don't have anything against you personally (unlike you against me it seems) but it would help people if you'd stop trying to help people I think ;)
    Last edited by trjp; 21-03-2013 at 04:31 PM.

My advice relates to his question - your advice is to wait for some indefinable thing and to tell him stuff will be 'obsolete' when it isn't - which is more useful?

My PC was all I could get for the 200 I had at the time - it was a good upgrade and it's done what I wanted since - I could get 150 for it today too - what's wrong with that then?

Also, you're committing Ad Hominem which suggests you're shit at arguing so why should we think you know what you're talking about with PCs either?

Seriously - EVERY thread you enter you derail by not reading the question and then get into personal, tangential arguments with people. I don't have anything against you personally (unlike you against me it seems) but it would help people if you'd stop trying to help people I think ;)
    I'm a blunt person so maybe I seem as if I am trying to offend you.
    I honestly want to know, if you yourself have not managed to build something up to standard, what makes your advice of any value in this specific topic? Hey, maybe you are a master IT guy, but when it comes to PC hardware internals...
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm a blunt person so maybe I seem as if I am trying to offend you.
    I honestly want to know, if you yourself have not managed to build something up to standard, what makes your advice of any value in this specific topic? Hey, maybe you are a master IT guy, but when it comes to PC hardware internals...
    Your lack of reading skills extended to my comment on you NOT DIVERTING EVERY THREAD TO YOUR OWN VANITY didn't it - you also didn't look-up "Ad Hominem" either...

If a mod reads this, would they please delete the irrelevant stuff - their choice as to which bits - please, thanks...

Your lack of reading skills extended to my comment on you NOT DIVERTING EVERY THREAD TO YOUR OWN VANITY didn't it - you also didn't look-up "Ad Hominem" either...

If a mod reads this, would they please delete the irrelevant stuff - their choice as to which bits - please, thanks...
    better watch out ppl, trjp has hit the caps lock button ...
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    better watch out ppl, trjp has hit the caps lock button ...
    and he has to have the last word too, completely immune to the fact he's just wrecking yet another thread.

I've ticketted your post and I'm out - GL with everything when you grow-up and all that - you'll need it.

I honestly want to know, if you yourself have not managed to build something up to standard, what makes your advice of any value in this specific topic?
    People have different standards. Yours seems to be about getting the absolute best solution currently (or soon to be,) on the market. There is nothing wrong with that, but it's not the only approach and one that many either can't afford or would rather not spend that amount on. Saying that the hardware the OP mentioned will be obsolete at the end of the year isn't helpful. All PC hardware is obsolete (in the literal "has been replaced by a better/faster/cheaper model" sense,) about 6 months after launch tops. It can however last for many years before it is obsolete in any real world scenarios (as in, it won't run a game at a playable framerate at all, or doesn't meet the minimum spec for the next OS.)

OP, I also have an AM2 quad core (a Phenom II in my case,) running on DDR2. I also went for a gradual overhaul to try and balance the spend over time. I've found the vast majority of games aren't being held up by my CPU. If you have a Phenom you may find similarly. Assuming you're interested in playing games 1st and foremost I'd recommend upgrading in this order:

1. If you're planning on keeping the CPU/mobo a year or more, get another 4GB of memory. DDR2 is getting expensive but you may be able to find some used or end of line.

2. Get a SSD. This is the single biggest performance upgrade I've put in my PC since I bought a 3Dfx Voodoo. EVERYTHING gets faster.

3. Depending on if you're feeling GPU or CPU limited look either towards a GPU upgrade or a CPU/Mobo/RAM swapout.

I got a new GPU at stage 3, but mine was older than your current one (Radeon 4890.) I'm now in the stage of saving for a new CPU/mobo/RAM and pondering over AMD/Intel etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    1. If you're planning on keeping the CPU/mobo a year or more, get another 4GB of memory. DDR2 is getting expensive but you may be able to find some used or end of line.

I got a new GPU at stage 3, but mine was older than your current one (Radeon 4890.) I'm now in the stage of saving for a new CPU/mobo/RAM and pondering over AMD/Intel etc.
    I agree with a lot of what you said, so I'm only going to pick on these two details.

More RAM doesn't seem like a good investment to me. 4 GB is still fine for most games. I would pretty much never recommend buying 8 GB when assembling a new computer, but that's because 8 GB only costs a little bit more and you'll be using a new computer for longer than this relatively old machine.

And a Radeon HD 4890 isn't actually older than a 9800 GT. The Radeon HD 4000 series and Geforce 9000 series were direct competitors, but... the 4890 was released in April 2009 as a rejiggled improvement over the earlier 4870. The 9800 GT was launched in July 2008 as a straight rebrand of the older 8800 GT.

Network Hub
    Thanks for all the responses
    What do you play now? Which AMD do you have right now (Phenom or Athlon x4?) and what issues are you looking to solve.
    It's a Phenom 9650

I play Guild wars 2, Red Orchestra 2, Planetside 2, having a few problems with gw2 and ps2, mainly when a lot of stuff going on (the more people the choppier). My assumption is the CPU and Mobo is the bottleneck. I know the card is relatively old, but thinking the best bet for now is the CPU route.

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Saying that the hardware the OP mentioned will be obsolete at the end of the year isn't helpful. All PC hardware is obsolete (in the literal "has been replaced by a better/faster/cheaper model" sense,) about 6 months after launch tops. It can however last for many years before it is obsolete in any real world scenarios (as in, it won't run a game at a playable framerate at all, or doesn't meet the minimum spec for the next OS.)
    this is the last year of this gen. Anything low end is going to be obsolete as in won't be able to play 2014 games at the lowest setting. Think stuff on Watch Dogs' level and higher.
    Last edited by mashakos; 21-03-2013 at 11:21 PM.
    Steam profile

this is the last year of this gen. Anything low end is going to be obsolete as in won't be able to play 2014 games at the lowest setting. Think stuff on Watch Dogs' level and higher.
    And this gen started a year ago. Of course current hardware will be able to play 2014 games at the lowest settings, especially when it comes to the CPU. Developers only very rarely shut out a lot of customers by suddenly cranking up the minimum requirements dramatically. Crysis became notorious precisely because it was a deviation from that norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    And this gen started a year ago. Of course current hardware will be able to play 2014 games at the lowest settings, especially when it comes to the CPU. Developers only very rarely shut out a lot of customers by suddenly cranking up the minimum requirements dramatically. Crysis became notorious precisely because it was a deviation from that norm.
    I can think of ten games off the top of my head that couldn't run on an athlon64 + ati 9800 Pro that came out in 2006/2007:
    Gears of War
    The Witcher
    UT3
    DiRT
    Condemned
    Bioshock
    supreme commander
    world in conflict
    cod 4
    Oblivion
    Steam profile

The 9800 Pro and Athlon 64 were already ~4 years old by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    The 9800 Pro and Athlon 64 were already ~4 years old by then.
    ok then swap out the 9800 pro for an ati x1900xtx and the athlon64 for an athlon64 x2. Same result.
    Steam profile

Actually, the X1900XTX is above the recommended spec for Witcher. Above. Recommended.

The 9800Pro on an Athlon64 is the minimum spec and should also run.

ok then swap out the 9800 pro for an ati x1900xtx and the athlon64 for an athlon64 x2. Same result.
    Found a review for the x1900xtx where it ran Oblivion at max settings just fine.