Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Banned

BioShock Infinite's Plot and Ending are DISGRACEFUL (ALL THE SPOILERS)

MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR BIOSHOCK INFINITE

Here are spoilers, taken straight from /v/.
    The explanation is complicated as shit.

First of all, the premise:

Booker - a gambling addict who is approached to save a girl - Elizabeth from the flying city of Columbia in exchange of having his previous debt wiped clean.

On the flying city of Columbia, Zachary Comstock is regarded as a savior and a prophet.

Okay, so basically, there is a multiverse. Booker is also Zachary Comstock(The Prophet) in multiple parallel universes
    Comstock and Booker are the same people who have been brought together in through some interdimensional passage. The difference in name comes from a deciding point in his life where he could have gotten a baptism and be reborn under a different name (which would have been Zachary Comstock).

Booker, in this new reality with his other self, sees what a horrible person Comstock is and all the hell Elizabeth is put through and decides to end him, which through Elizabeth's powers means he could kill Comstock before is he was born and save Elizabeth from all this trouble, not realizing until a little later that doing this to Comstock would do this to himself and after realizing it he goes back to this original deciding point in time where he could be been 'reborn' and decides to die there so his daughter doesn't have to go through what he put her through here and every dimension he became Comstock.

In the ending, Elizabeth reveals herself to be a time lord and takes Booker on a journey to an infinite number of lighthouses, all representing the "beginning" of some kind of journey that is always the same with slight variations. For some reason she's never told him this, even though if she had in the beginning, the whole adventure wouldn't have been necessary at all. After Booker realizes that he is just a pawn in an infinite number of similiar sequences, he decides to allow Elizabeth kill him so that he can save his daughter so that he will never live in the first place, thus also ending the life of his daughter who would have never been born, the very daughter that he was trying to save.

Then for some reason Comstock ends up being Booker, and this is a result of Booker declining or accepting a Baptism at some point in time. Booker once again allows Comstock, or rather Booker, baptize himself for some reason, thus creating another Comstock (the person he is trying to kill). Earlier (or later), Comstock buys his own daughter from himself which he sells to himself. Then a bunch of time clones show up (apparently all at the time time, did they get an invite or something?). Elizabeth(s) then start to drown Booker, who is also Comstock, without his permission, but Comstock (or rather Booker) doesn't fight it, allowing himself to die and end the cycle, instead of seeking some other more rational method of doing so.

All the events of Bioshock Infininte, BioShock 1, and Bioshock 2 are cancelled out completely, the time loop having now never existed.

Link to ending
    It's almost a hilarious joke, except for the fact the punchline is that it's the top selling game on Steam.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Do you hate everything?

Or is it that the only communicating you do is hating things?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Do you hate everything?

Or is it that the only communicating you do is hating things?
    And yet I get temporary bans from these forums.

What is so disgraceful about it? Sounds like good, zany, timetravelling, paradox creating, wibbly-wobbly, timey-whimey stuff. Gives those with an interest some stuff to discuss, argue about etc., yet, for those who are more interested in the game, isn't too heavy and involving and requiring of too much involvement (if it can be summarised in a couple paragraphs like that).

Also... I'm not sure you can judge a game's story from a synopsis like that, out of the game. It lacks all the context and the like. There are plenty of works of art etc. that, if you were to describe the story out of context you'd think it was terrible/crazy, and yet they work in game.
    Last edited by Unaco; 21-03-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    What is so disgraceful about it? Sounds like good, zany, timetravelling, paradox creating, wibbly-wobbly, timey-whimey stuff.
    Except none of it makes sense, there's no point in the plot of the game and it's just one of the stupidest pseudo-philosophical pieces of trite I've ever heard of?

Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Except none of it makes sense, there's no point in the plot of the game and it's just one of the stupidest pseudo-philosophical pieces of trite I've ever heard of?
    Have you played the game? Or are you basing your judgement on an isolated plot synopsis? Maybe the story means a lot more with the subtleties included and within the context of the game itself.

Also... they all seems to be subjective judgements. Maybe others will find plenty of sense in the plot. They'll find a point of the plot. And they'll get the philosophical meaning of it.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.

Banned
    Have you played the game? Or are you basing your judgement on an isolated plot synopsis? Maybe the story means a lot more with the subtleties included and within the context of the game itself.

Also... they all seems to be subjective judgements. Maybe others will find plenty of sense in the plot. They'll find a point of the plot. And they'll get the philosophical meaning of it.
    Did you watch the ending video?

No, I didn't think you did. :D

Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    I've not been Bioshocked in any way yet and can't bring myself to read that, but I've been waiting for some kind of explanation for the suspiciously generous pre-order offers. Does it explain them?
    Yes, it does. Thoroughly.

Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Did you watch the ending video?

No, I didn't think you did.
    I haven't played the game, didn't say I had, or inferred that I had at all. I only played a couple hours of BioShock 1, but it didn't really grab me. I assume you have seen this ending video, and played through the whole game, to get the story, delivered through the medium and within the context of the game.

If it was any more twisted it'd be a goddamn pretzel.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    I've not been Bioshocked in any way yet and can't bring myself to read that, but I've been waiting for some kind of explanation for the suspiciously generous pre-order offers. Does it explain them?

Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    No. Synopsis for the thread... R_F thinks the story/plot makes no sense, has no point and is pseudo-philosophical trite(sic). No judgments or revelations about gameplay etc. Just the plot synopsis.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    No. Synopsis for the thread... R_F thinks the story/plot makes no sense, has no point and is pseudo-philosophical trite(sic). No judgments or revelations about gameplay etc. Just the plot synopsis.
    As if making good art was about that what and not the how.

Banned
    Actually sounds good enough to make me reconsider buying the game.

Now,while its easy to reduce something to constituent components, in practice and delivery the story may actually be really well done, and probably is because Ken Levine runs his projects well.

And why do you even go and spoil a game for yourself like that or anyone else for that matter?

The game isn't even out yet for a lot of the visitors on this forum too, so posting something like this a dick move, plus some people might take it as a joke and go on to read what your writing.

Wanker.

And if you've rushed through a Bioshock game from the midnight US launch on Steam to come and brag here, well, I feel sorry for you.

That's not how they're meant to be played.

And if you're parroting what someone else has said of the internet... why?

This forum gets worse and worse every day and right now its worse than fucking 4chan.

Nobody wants to talk about games on this forum any more, people just want to be personality on the forum and argue why they are always correct in their opinions, and most of the time without even playing the games they're talking about if that's actually what they're managing to talk about.

It's disgusting.

Fortunately the people that want to PLAY games on this forum and arrange such things are all absolutely genuinely nice people.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    Actually sounds good enough to make me reconsider buying the game.

Now,while its easy to reduce something to constituent components, in practice and delivery the story may actually be really well done, and probably is because Ken Levine runs his projects well.

And why do you even go and spoil a game for yourself like that or anyone else for that matter?

The game isn't even out yet for a lot of the visitors on this forum too, so posting something like this a dick move, plus some people might take it as a joke and go on to read what your writing.

Wanker.

And if you've rushed through a Bioshock game from the midnight US launch on Steam to come and brag here, well, I feel sorry for you.

That's not how they're meant to be played.

And if you're parroting what someone else has said of the internet... why?

This forum gets worse and worse every day and right now its worse than fucking 4chan.

Nobody wants to talk about games on this forum any more, people just want to be personality on the forum and argue why they are always correct in their opinions, and most of the time without even playing the games they're talking about if that's actually what they're managing to talk about.

It's disgusting.

Fortunately the people that want to PLAY games on this forum and arrange such things are all absolutely genuinely nice people.
    So instead of addressing the issue, you cry about the state of the forums and attack other posters...

And you think the issues with these forums are people like me.

Riiiiiight.

(TIL massive repeated spoiler tags aren't enough for some people. Like this guy here who, despite the size 24 spoiler tags in the very first post, went and read it anyway. And then gets angry about it. Amazing.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    If I didn't think my opinion was right, I wouldn't have it.

Also, you need a nap. I know because that's what I want except I have to look busy by typing a lot.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row
    I once watched the 100 metres at the Olympic Games. Still waiting for my medal.
    You could have waited and watched the award ceremony; which is comparable to receiving a medal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    If I didn't think my opinion was right, I wouldn't have it.
    "At any street corner we may meet a man who utters the frantic and blasphemous statement that he may be wrong. Every day one comes across somebody who says that of course his view may not be the right one. Of course his view must be the right one, or it is not his view." ~ Orthodoxy, G.K. Chesterton

(I just like it when people say things that remind me of this favored quote; thanks =)
    Last edited by Berzee; 22-03-2013 at 07:06 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    You could have waited and watched the award ceremony; which is comparable to receiving a medal.
    Oh, of course. What a fool I was... well played.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    If there is one thing this thread has taught us: It isn't just gaming news outlets that post sensationalist titles. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see an article with this very title on cracked.

And while I am sure Bioshock Infinity will disappoint (it is an anticipated game, what do you expect?) I also think it is best to hold off on decisions until the game is played. ANY story can sound stupid if you take it out of context or are trying to make it sound stupid

The player wakes up on a space station full of aliens and robots. He kills a bunch of stuff after talking to the security guard. But the security guard is actually an evil AI!! The player and the AI kill a bunch more aliens until the AI tries to kill the player, but the player kills her instead. But she isn't dead and is instead in a body now!

The player is a cop for an anti-terrorism group. The player's brother ends up being a traitor. But it is a good thing because the terrorists are the good guys and the cops are an evil conspiracy! The player goes around the world to find out where the head of the conspiracy is and then goes there. But it is progressive because you have three different endings! But it sucks because nothing impacts those endings except for what button you push.

So yeah, while I suspect it is "crap", I also think HOW the story is told plays a big role.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    ANY story can sound stupid if you take it out of context or are trying to make it sound stupid
    You just reminded me of one of the best threads.
    ---
    I do appreciate the warning that Bioshock Infinite is about time travel, though. I don't think I've ever actually lastingly liked a time travel story, no matter how well done -- sometimes I almost want to get into Bioshock games beyond the first demo, even though I know they are creepy and full of screaming, and it's good to have another dissuading factor to balance out the pretty architecture. =) Sort of like the song "Tell Me Something Bad About Tulsa" except with Bioshock instead of Tulsa.

People who like time paradoxes and creepy screaming might have no problems with this, though! I hope they didn't read it, so that they can enjoy those things with fresh eyes.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    I do appreciate the warning that Bioshock Infinite is about time travel, though. I don't think I've ever actually lastingly liked a time travel story, no matter how well done
    May I suggest the film Timecrimes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480669/).