Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    taken straight from /v/
    from /v/
    /v/
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Banned
    Honestly time travel plots are pretty much universally shit. And I don't even mean the morons writing them who ignore pretty much any of the rules of time travel. And plot, but that's not the point.

Honestly it reminds me of HPMOR. It was so great but then at the end when they try to resolve it they fuck it up with their stupid personal philosophy. The guy who writes it added some cool science stuff and what not, and the Harry character was much better than the real Harry who was all whiny and sorry for himself. But then it turned out Harry's patronus was a human and killed dementors and it was all downhill from there.

Kinda like Ayn Rand over and over and over. The set up was great, to some degree, but the resolution was shit.

Honestly it explains all the DiD plots. Because video game writers are worthless morons.

Will Chrono Trigger remain the only game to successfully pull off time travel?

More importantly, will there be a Bioshock Infinite: Timecop DLC?

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    I won't, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to point out what a poor analogy the whole Movie/Game watching/playing/performing in is.
    Thing is we're not talking about how the game plays, we're on about its story. You don't need to play a game to understand its storyline.
    Virtual Pilot 3D™ NEVER NOT SCAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    Thing is we're not talking about how the game plays, we're on about its story. You don't need to play a game to understand its storyline.
    I'd disagree. I reckon, with games, the story can take on a different meaning and have a different effect or impact on someone, because they play the game (rather than just watching it). Even if the game has no branching, dynamic story etc. Watch someone play Amnesia... it's not scary in the slightest. Play Amnesia... it can get quite scary. Watch the Dark Souls Sif cutscene and fight, and it doesn't particularly mean much... that same cutscene/fight, during a playthrough, takes on so much more weight and meaning. Being an active participant gives us a different perspective to that of the passive observer.

Just watching it, or watching someone play it, is not the same as playing the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Is the joke here that you're using an image macro which originated on 4chan to make fun of 4chan?

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion_wins View Post
    Will Chrono Trigger remain the only game to successfully pull off time travel?
    There's still the original Command and Conquer: Red Alert. And, of course, the greatest time travelling game of all time: Maniac Mansion 2: Day of the Tentacle.

I'd disagree. I reckon, with games, the story can take on a different meaning and have a different effect or impact on someone, because they play the game (rather than just watching it). Even if the game has no branching, dynamic story etc. Watch someone play Amnesia... it's not scary in the slightest. Play Amnesia... it can get quite scary. Watch the Dark Souls Sif cutscene and fight, and it doesn't particularly mean much... that same cutscene/fight, during a playthrough, takes on so much more weight and meaning. Being an active participant gives us a different perspective to that of the passive observer.

Just watching it, or watching someone play it, is not the same as playing the game.
    A cutscene is a cutscene. An animated movie. I don't see how it's any different at all from a short film. Whether I watch it on your monitor in game, your TV, or YouTube doesn't make any difference in what I "feel" about it at all.
    Virtual Pilot 3D™ NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Is the joke here that you're using an image macro which originated on 4chan to make fun of 4chan?
    It's a time-honored tradition that also, ironically, started on 4chan.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    A cutscene is a cutscene. An animated movie. I don't see how it's any different at all from a short film. Whether I watch it on your monitor in game, your TV, or YouTube doesn't make any difference in what I "feel" about it at all.
    Hence the disagreement. That's how you view a game's story (in isolation, as if it's disconnected from the game as a whole). That's not how everyone sees gaming and stories... some people see the game's story as tied up with the rest of the game, and don't think stories can be seen/judged in isolation... the active, participatory aspect of the game changes how the story is absorbed or experienced... it isn't isolated from the gameplay etc.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Plot Of Shooter In "Quite Silly" Shocker.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Banned
    Hence the disagreement. That's how you view a game's story (in isolation, as if it's disconnected from the game as a whole). That's not how everyone sees gaming and stories... some people see the game's story as tied up with the rest of the game, and don't think stories can be seen/judged in isolation... the active, participatory aspect of the game changes how the story is absorbed or experienced... it isn't isolated from the gameplay etc.
    Someday we might get a smart troll. Right now all we have is Unaco. People who see a difference between watching a cut scene and watching a cut scene are just idiots.

You know the difference between how I experience a cut scene while watching someone play a game and how you, apparently, experience a cut scene while playing the game yourself? One of us is a moron with no imagination. Jesus.

At least you could have stuck to interactive game play is different than movies. Then you would have at least had the possibility of a fruitful discussion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post

There's still the original Command and Conquer: Red Alert. And, of course, the greatest time travelling game of all time: Maniac Mansion 2: Day of the Tentacle.
    I'm sorry fiddlesticks, and I'm gonna let you finish but, Achron had the best time traveling of all time. Because it actually has an effect on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MoLAoS View Post
    Someday we might get a smart troll. Right now all we have is Unaco. People who see a difference between watching a cut scene and watching a cut scene are just idiots.
    What? I'm not saying there's a difference between watching a cutscene and watching a cutscene. I'm saying there's a difference between watching a cutscene, as someone else plays a game or in isolation to the rest of the game, and watching a cutscene as you play the game. Do you see that?

A video game's story is written and implemented inside the game, not in isolation to it. You experience it differently as you experience it, as you play... rather than just watching someone else play, or watching a video of it, or reading a synopsis of the plot.

Also, please keep the personal insults to yourself. No call for them. Thanks.

Banned
    What? I'm not saying there's a difference between watching a cutscene and watching a cutscene. I'm saying there's a difference between watching a cutscene, as someone else plays a game or in isolation to the rest of the game, and watching a cutscene as you play the game. Do you see that?

A video game's story is written and implemented inside the game, not in isolation to it. You experience it differently as you experience it, as you play... rather than just watching someone else play, or watching a video of it, or reading a synopsis of the plot.

Also, please keep the personal insults to yourself. No call for them. Thanks.
    Who am I supposed to insult? You're the one saying the dumbest things imaginable.

I read what you wrote man. That part in red. That IS what you are saying.

Who am I supposed to insult? You're the one saying the dumbest things imaginable.
    No one. It's kinda against the forum rules.

I read what you wrote man. That part in red. That IS what you are saying.
    No. It isn't what I'm saying. Read AFTER the bit in red, and you'll see what I'm saying. Do you see it? It's right there? It isn't "there's a difference between watching a cutscene and watching a cutscene"... In fact, I even state that that isn't what I'm saying. I assure you, it is not what I'm saying.

I'm not saying there's a difference between A and A. I'm saying there's a difference between A and B, where A is watching someone play the game, and experiencing it entirely passively, and B is playing the game yourself, and experiencing it actively, with participation. Watching a cutscene (or the whole game) as a passive observer, and watching a custscene as part of a playthrough, are not the same thing. There's more to games and their stories than just passively being exposed to the story.

It's like those Choose Your Own Adventure books from when I were a child. The stories, on their own, if you were to just experience them as a linear story book, would have been quite naff. But, put them in the whole participatory, CYOA style, and they became something else.

Banned
    No one. It's kinda against the forum rules.

I would rather be banned a dozen times than not insult someone who deserves it.

No. It isn't what I'm saying. Read AFTER the bit in red, and you'll see what I'm saying. Do you see it? It's right there? It isn't "there's a difference between watching a cutscene and watching a cutscene"... In fact, I even state that that isn't what I'm saying. I assure you, it is not what I'm saying.

I'm not saying there's a difference between A and A. I'm saying there's a difference between A and B, where A is watching someone play the game, and experiencing it entirely passively, and B is playing the game yourself, and experiencing it actively, with participation. Watching a cutscene (or the whole game) as a passive observer, and watching a custscene as part of a playthrough, are not the same thing. There's more to games and their stories than just passively being exposed to the story.

It's like those Choose Your Own Adventure books from when I were a child. The stories, on their own, if you were to just experience them as a linear story book, would have been quite naff. But, put them in the whole participatory, CYOA style, and they became something else.
    You are fat as a whale. Now I'm stating right here that I am not saying you are fat as a whale. Onto my point. You are fat as a whale.

See how that works? I said it. Then I said that's not what I was saying. Then I said it. And even though I said I'm not saying that, I did in fact say that.

As far as CYOA, its funny that you use those. I remember that used to be a popular argument. Modern video games have a story so linear that CYOA stories have choices with more impact than the games do. Because the games impact is ZERO.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yeah I'm going to have to agree with Unaco here playing that game yourself even if its a very linear game means that you feel that you get to know the characters personally meaning that cut scene about that chaacters death is a lot more effective then it would be if you just watched it on you tube.

I'll try one last time...

Watching a cutscene while playing a game, is not the same as watching a cutscene while watching someone play a game. Yes, sure, they both involve watching a cutscene... but there is a different context around both things, making the acts different. There... is that simple enough for you? Do you see the difference I'm trying to show between the two?

Banned
    I'll try one last time...

Watching a cutscene while playing a game, is not the same as watching a cutscene while watching someone play a game. Yes, sure, they both involve watching a cutscene... but there is a different context around both things, making the acts different. There... is that simple enough for you? Do you see the difference I'm trying to show between the two?
    Different context does not prove that the acts are different. Its HOW the context is different that is relevant.

Different context does not prove that the acts are different. Its HOW the context is different that is relevant.
    One is in the context of passive observation. The other is in the context of active agency and participation.