Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar

Everyday is Like Sunday (Papers)

On a weekly basis RPS goes to rest and we receive lovely summaries of articles from other gaming sites around the net.

Surely Nü Games Journalism does not sleep during the week?

Many of you will start a thread to discuss a specific topic, but not every feature is worthy of such individual scrutiny, and those threads oft die young.

Maybe this thread can be an exhibition for the pieces you've found on Mondays through Saturdays, or those RPS may have missed.

A similar format to The Sunday Papers is rational but not necessary.

And no, I don't have anything to offer right now other than Morrissey to play us in, which falls in line with the musics of subjective appeal that end each weekly Sunday Papers post.

Chris Sims on Comics Alliance has spotted the art of Fernando Reza, who has designed a series of mock travel posters based on levels from the Street Fighter series. I have to agree that video games and computer games have influenced my perception of foreign countries (especially Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego). Sims says, by way of introduction:

I’m not gonna lie, folks: Street Fighter II has been a very influential force in my life. And not just in my love of media where people shoot fireballs out of their hands and kick people in the face so fast that their feet become a lightning-fast blur of pain. I mean that it has affected the way I actually see the world. Much like I thought New York City was basically The Warriors before I went there and saw it for myself (there are fewer Baseball Furies than I expected), I have this picture of foreign lands in my mind that is entirely based around the potential for, say, green rain forest monsters who can shoot electricity out of their skin.

As a result, I am the exact target market for Fernando Reza and his series of travel posters inspired by gaming’s greatest world warriors. They’re absolutely beautiful, with subtle nods to the background of the games done as classic enticements for the jet set crowd, and they are awesome.

Robert Rath on Call of Duty's advertising masquerading as journalism.

How many lines are there left for marketers to cross?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Robert Rath on Call of Duty's advertising masquerading as journalism.

How many lines are there left for marketers to cross?
    That link goes to page 3. Here's the actual link: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...An-Open-Letter
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Got an email about this: Marvel: Avengers Alliance Tactics

Can't remember if we decided that Facebook games were PC games or not.

It's mildly interesting to me that when Marvel wants to make money, they develop a combat-focused RPG, a Diablo-like, a Puzzle Quest game, and now a turn-based tactical game. Do these genres have more broad appeal than they're given credit for?

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Speaking of Street Fighter, did you know there was a live action web series, which according to IMDB may not be horrible, or may in fact be horrible. Oh IMDB!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyVO...NGGxQfmLuhtxqU

Re: Facebook - I never used Facebook apart from some miscellaneous trolling, as you do, but it seems to be slipping into the background of the public consciousness so I'm wondering if it has any more relevance as a gaming platform than, say, the Times crossword puzzle. I mean it's there but does it warrant a mention every week day? I do not care for what Facebook is doing.

On Android (and iOS) I had a 24 hour infatuation with Dragon Coins but I wouldn't recommend it... or would I?

Also, depending on how this thread works out it should be stickied, but not necessarily in the PC games section. Hmm.
    Last edited by frightlever; 05-06-2014 at 09:11 AM.

Is there skill involved in Dragon Coins? I see the SEGA name and almost want to jump in.

Facebook is a deterrent for me. I don't want to play a game embedded in a facebook page. But if the games were playable outside of a facebook browser tab and just used facebook for account management and maybe multiplayer matching or social elements, I wouldn't find that too unpalatable, given that there was a clear way to prevent spamming every one of my contacts (I refuse to call them all "friends") with every meager accomplishment I make in the game.

What I usually do is wait for facebook games to come to Android before playing, where it's more like this.

As for stickying this thread, would need oh so much more traffic! I think this may be my second attempt, or someone else may have made a "miscellaneous links and interesting bobs" thread in the past that failed out.

To be fair, starting a new thread even for a minor bit of news has no "cost", so there's maybe no incentive to collect them all in one place. And maybe it takes away the fun of making a thread title.

But we'll see.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    RPS's own Nathan Grayson writes a column for Kotaku.

This one stands out:

http://tmi.kotaku.com/the-game-that-...unk-1583451486

Here's an interview with Ken Levine about why Bioshock Infinite had to have violence in it. Choice quote:

"I wouldn't have known how to make a game like Mario. I wouldn't have known how to take this kind of story and turn it into a game about jumping on blocks, or a PacMan eating dots."
    I went back and listened to the audio just to get the context, and it is still as stupid as it sounds. I can hardly imagine that's what he meant to say - maybe he tried to simplify it for NPR - but this just paints him as phenomenally genre-ignorant, like his toolbox of narrative-driven first person games only contains a hammer and nothing else.

I haven't read a thing but violence in mario is kind of meta, you don't need to jump on npc's but you do it anyway. PacMan can eat ghosts at times because of some item but they' ll come back anyway. I guess he wants the plain "thing"?
    post in progress