Lesser Hivemind Node deadly.by.design's Avatar

Would you kindly help me find this game (via description)

Hello there. I wish to find a game that was once mentioned in an RPS article (perhaps 2-3 years ago?), but I can't recall its name.

/edit/ CASE CLOSED: If you wish to experience the game as a blank slate, then do not read my description. Instead, check out the download link, turn up your sound, and play in the dark.

It was a low-fi/pixel first-person game set in a dark, snowy forest. You began in said forest, and could venture into a valley filled with a few landmarks and abandoned structures. There was no music, and I think the only sounds you could hear were the wind and your own footsteps. (spoilers in white) Each session was brief, though, as you were inevitably hunted down by an assailant made of light and sound. For a game of such humble means, it was strangely terrifying.

Does it ring a bell for anyone? I seem to recall it being a zip file to download from a developer's link. (i.e., not so official-looking)
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 07-04-2014 at 09:30 PM.

Was it Yeti Hunter?

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Was it Yeti Hunter?
    Negatory. (but thanks for the guess!)

It was first-person, but with no shooting involved. IIRC, it was devoid of all action. All you were allowed to do was explore (highlight for spoilers) the dark, snowy landscape until the being of light inevitably found you. As the creature would draw nearer, so would the ominous sound that accompanied it. When it finally caught you, the screen would fade to white.

You began in the forest and could explore that area, but it seemed like the game lasted longer if you explored more areas. There was an abandoned house near the forest clearing, a dilapidated chapel on the hill, and (I think?) a cemetery down by the frozen creek.

It may or may not have been a one-off in one of those indie game jam-type events. I can't recall exactly, but it was certainly more of an experiment than a full game. "Experience" might be the proper descriptive.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 07-04-2014 at 09:30 PM. Reason: clarity

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Was it Hide?
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    Was it Hide?
    Yes -- thank you!

You are welcome! ^_^

(I'd not heard of this game before -- or perhaps ignored it because I don't like scaaaAAaaAAry games -- but I found it by googling for "site:rockpapershotgun.com snowy forest first person light" and I am more proud of this than by all rights a person should be after a successful googlin').
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Hah, nice. I'm not a horror game fan either, but it's a contained experience worth trying.

Looks like the final version is here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    You should put a trigger warning on that you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    You should put a trigger warning on that you know!
    Done. Posts have been edited and potential spoilers are now in white text. (heaven help anyone with an inverted theme)

Okay, my turn!

I'm looking for a game, I think horror, without visuals. You have to find your way around without seeing anything, in other words, primarily by listening.

Apologies for the brevity of the description, but I don't remember much about it. It may have been an attempt to raise awareness/understanding for blind people.

There's an extra layer of challenge here, since I don't know if I actually read about it or just imagined it.

Any takers?

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Network Hub
    There's also Papa Sangre for iOS, that does the whole horror game without visuals quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Duck View Post
    I think that's it. Too bad that it seems meant to be played on iOS, although there is a PC version, as well. Papa Sangre also looks interesting, but iOS again.

Here's one: when I was little I played a computer game that was sort of like chess (not very much; just with a similar starting setup and played on a grid) except all your pieces were forest animals of varying strengths. Maybe bears were the strongest? I'm can't remember anything else about it...I think it might have been part of one of those "1,001 Great Games!!!" CDs though, which means that it almost doesn't count. =P
    Last edited by Berzee; 16-04-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Sounds like this or the remake except no bears sadly. Bears are awesome.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Dunno about bears, but sounds a bit like Master of Monsters for Genesis/Massa Drove or maybe Vantage Master for PC.