Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Might & Magic X: Old school New Rules

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/21/413...wn-at-pax-east
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=f3Ise3lFST4

As with many other new games, Might & Magic will be shown at PAX East.

From the brief announcement trailer we see it is still first person perspective. Only 10 seconds of game was shown so far.

First Person, 4 person party
    Turn-Based round combat
    Possible grid based movement?

Picking up after the events of Might & Magic Heroes VI
    This is a surprise after they launch Heroes 5 with entirely new universe and Lore with some similarities.

Guess we get to wait a day or 2 to find out more. This is surprising coming from Ubisoft.

It looks interesting. I just hope they put enough effort into it and don't make it too similar to Grimrock where you advance down in a dungeon. Traveling, different towns and places, arcomage (must have). I'm looking forward to some more information about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Possible grid based movement?
    It really looked like the movement in Legends of Grimrock. Need to see more footage but grid based movement would probably mean that the world is somewhat flat, right? Too early to tell I guess.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Doesn't look very Grimrock-y with turn-based combat. It's only a small difference on paper, but it makes a pretty big difference when you're playing the game.
    This is a surprise after they launch Heroes 5 with entirely new universe and Lore with some similarities.

Guess we get to wait a day or 2 to find out more. This is surprising coming from Ubisoft.
    Huh? That is the latest game in the overall series. The last game in the straight M&M series was the dreadful IX from ~ten years ago, and Dark Messiah of M&Ms if you're less of a purist. It makes perfect sense to continue from the Ubisoft-released Heroes VI of 2011. Even if I would have loved it if they'd picked up after the old M&M VI (mandate of heaven), one of the last good games in the series.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    http://mightandmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Enroth_(planet)

Heroes 1,2,3 and Might & Magic 6,7,8 take place on the same planet/universe.

And now I realize my confusion is Ubisoft's rebranding/naming of "Heroes of Might & Magic" to "Might & Magic Heroes".

I read it as taking place on Enroth from 6.

I agree! It makes sense to continue from their relaunch of the Heroes world.
    Last edited by Moraven; 21-03-2013 at 11:21 PM.

I am psyched. I really, really hope it has a lot of content and can hold up to the RPGs of old.

No, they pointlessly blew up Enroth somewhere in HoMM3. They evacuated a good chunk of the population over to Axeoth where HoMM4 and Might & Magic IX took place. Then 3DO went out of business and Ubi rebooted the whole series. As I understand it, the timeline is
    HoMM6->M&M10->Clash of Heroes->HoMM5+Dark Messiah
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ah, I never finished all of HoMM3 timeline and barely played much of 4. Then never touched IX.

On the subject of the original Might and Magic, does anyone know if any decent fanmade patches/resolution updates for 6-8 in the series have been made? Seeing this has put me in the mood to replay the Enroth trilogy, but I'd rather update it to modern standards as much as possible.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I played Xeen a year or two back and was able to get it to look on par with a flash/phone game just by using the extra bells and whistles in DOSBox. I might have been using a special build (can be found in the forums on the dosbox site), but I think even the "default" stuff should work.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Looks like it's really going to be tile- and turn-based. Archery also seems to work like in the old games. More M&M 3-5 than 6-8, which is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Looks like it's really going to be tile- and turn-based. Archery also seems to work like in the old games. More M&M 3-5 than 6-8, which is a good thing.
    Neither the player nor the monsters left the dirt road. Please tell me it'll be possible to leave the dirt road.

I'll have to amend my previous statement after watching that video. It will obviously look very Grimrock-y, at least underground/in-doors. But it should feel quite different due to being turn-based.

Also, M&M 6-8 (and 9) were turn-based too, weren't they? Not tile-based though.

I suppose tile-based is a small disappointment, but it should save them some time and money. If that's the price for getting this genre back to life again, I'll happily pay it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Looks like it's really going to be tile- and turn-based.
    And there goes all of my interest in this game.

Seriously, tile-based? Might(andmagic) as well make it a side-scroller.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 30-03-2013 at 08:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    And there goes all of my interest in this game.

Seriously, tile-based? Might(andmagic) as well make it a side-scroller.
    Grimrock manages to be a pretty good game even though it's tile-based.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    I grew up playing MM6-8, as bare as the gameworld was, I still enjoyed the exploration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    I grew up playing MM6-8, as bare as the gameworld was, I still enjoyed the exploration.
    Well, you grew up wrong.
    Last edited by b0rsuk; 07-04-2013 at 10:48 AM.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I grew on playing 6-8 than 3-5, that is where my preference is. =/ Tried a few times with the older ones and have not had the patience yet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    6-8 was directional real time movement with the option to turn on a turn based mode for combat.

1-5 were tile based. I did not like the real time combat in Grimrock. Real time and tile movement just do not go as well for me.

6-8 was directional real time movement with the option to turn on a turn based mode for combat.

1-5 were tile based. I did not like the real time combat in Grimrock. Real time and tile movement just do not go as well for me.
    It does devolve into this weird dancing game, so at least it doesn't make much sense. I found it enjoyable enough, though spells felt awkward (too slow compared to weapons).

Interview with the developers on RPG Codex.

TL;DR:
    -Implied that it got greenlighted because of kickstarter and Grimrock successes.
    -Skill system is based on M&M 6-8 as well as class promotions
    -Movement and combat are based on M&M 3-5
    -Training for level ups was dropped (RUINED FOREVER)
    -There's going to be a bout 20 dungeons
    -No sci-fi elements because it would clash with the previously established rebooted universe but there may be references
    -Four races and three unique classes per race
    -No random encounters
    -No always-online DRM but uplay and therefore most likely no GOG release