Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Interview with the developers on RPG Codex.

TL;DR:
    -Implied that it got greenlighted because of kickstarter and Grimrock successes.
    -Skill system is based on M&M 6-8 as well as class promotions
    -Movement and combat are based on M&M 3-5
    -Training for level ups was dropped (RUINED FOREVER)
    -There's going to be a bout 20 dungeons
    -No sci-fi elements because it would clash with the previously established rebooted universe but there may be references
    -Four races and three unique classes per race
    -No random encounters
    -No always-online DRM but uplay and therefore most likely no GOG release
    Thanks for the link. These would be my responses in TLDR form:

-OMG WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?!
    -Neat.
    -Meh, it's worse than free movement but may be what it takes to get an M&M game in the first place (or a good one, fingers crossed).
    -RUINED FOREVER. How about some training is the most epic line in RPG history.
    -Less than I'd have preferred. But if they're as long as the average M&M6 dungeon, that's still a decent amount of content.
    -OMG, a publisher playing it safe. This must be a first in gaming history.
    -Fine. Would have preferred more classes and less races, but this'll do. Especially if the skill system still makes classes versatile.
    -That sucks.
    -Meh. Par for the course.

Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    Well, you grew up wrong.
    That's not exactly what I was saying. I understand personal preference (I also prefer the free movement of M&M6+), but Grimrock pretty clearly illustrates that tile-based movement isn't completely obsolete. It also demonstrated the advantages of tile-based movement - it saves a bunch of money which can then be spent improving other aspects of the game (or making the game possible in the first place).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Relax, I was joking. I like tile-based games. Actually I'm a hex supremacist. A nice benefit of tile-based games is that it's easy to create maps - as a level designer, and your own on a sheet of paper.
    pass

to wound the autumnal city.

It's a bit annoying that they try the "oh, people wouldn't be able to comprehend the combination of free movement and party-based" bullshit at all, but at least they confess the real reason behind it: It cuts down on development cost.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I just hope there the world still feels open and there is a lot to explore.

Did the talky guy say he wanted to 'play those cards'?... It's not going to have bloody cards in it is it?.. :<

That turns this from.. 'yeah, I want'.. to 'fuck off and die'... I hate the constant bastardisation of RPG's. :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcomage

Is the only cards it needs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Was it me or did I miss seeing this was going to be Steam Early Access?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/238750/

My heart fluttered thinking it had released. I was sad :( :( :(

While tempting I want to wait for the full game and not deal with bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Was it me or did I miss seeing this was going to be Steam Early Access?

My heart fluttered thinking it had released. I was sad :( :( :(

While tempting I want to wait for the full game and not deal with bugs.
    The "early access" is just a pre-order bonus that let's you play the first act of the game before release.
    Don't know why steam gave a release date for a pre-order bonus.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    oh, so its not a full beta/alpha like every other Early Access game.

Network Hub
    As someone that has never played a Heroes of Might and Magic but loves RPG games is this something I'm going to able pick up or do i need to play 10 games first to understand the storyline? Mechanics wise I'm fairly sure I'll be fine but I don't want to be completely lost on the story.

Quote Originally Posted by DenieD View Post
    As someone that has never played a Heroes of Might and Magic but loves RPG games is this something I'm going to able pick up or do i need to play 10 games first to understand the storyline? Mechanics wise I'm fairly sure I'll be fine but I don't want to be completely lost on the story.
    I'm pretty sure the storyline will be completely fine for newbies. The link between previous instalments wasn't always that noticeable (4 and 5 were practically part 1 and 2 of the same game, but 6 was completely separate - and IX took place after the usual world exploded), and now it's set in an entirely different world. And there are no aliens in the new game; aliens played a surprisingly prominent part in the plotlines of most of the old games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Once Ubisoft purchased the license then rebooted the franchise in an entirely different lore and story in the world of Ashan (http://mightandmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Ashan). It kept the fantasy theme while trying the sci-fi twists of the 3DO games. The 3DO games had various worlds but were connected in some way.

They are looking to base the gameplay on World of Xeen and take the better elements of M&M 6-8.

Heroes of Might and Magic 1-3 and Might & Magic 6-8 took place on Enroth. Past games had some connection to Enroth. Might & Magic 9 and Heroes 4 take place after Enroth onto a new world. Despite knowing the full storyline in any correct order I still enjoyed Might & Magic 6-8 and Heroes 1-3.

Not am not sure where M&M X takes place in the Ashan timeline.

Network Hub
    Cool, well I bought it, should get time to give it a go tonight I hope :) And as a bonus I got 9 for free :)

Wow, what an amazing bonus. A crappy game from 11 years ago.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    The best thing about Ubi's reboot was Markal from HoMMV. That guy was so ludicrously campy and just seemed like he was having a blast.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Never got into MM >6, really. Got put off by plains full of clones of the same enemy. Was fun flying around launching fireballs from the sky, then it got boring.

Looking forward to tile-movement goodness.

Well, it's officially out now. Let's see how it goes. Personally, I'm not going to bother at the moment. I still have too many games from the various winter sales.

Dug out this December preview from RPG Codex which is... very positive? I can't really wrap my mind around this being a genuinely good game quite yet.
    Last edited by Anthile; 23-01-2014 at 09:42 AM.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Eurogamer's review was rather positive as well ("reads like an 8", etc.), but yeah, uPlay and a huge backlog mean that I'm going to wait a few months or so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Funny that the deluxe edition comes with M&M 6, while the game seems in vain of M&M 5.

Seems solid enough. > 70 reviews from a few places. Some rouge edges. With planned DLC and mod support, I'm sure there will be some udpates to it.

I will get it in time. Backlog and hopes for a couple patches first.