Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Yeah, this is a definite purchase for me but probably in it's first sale appearance (oh the cynicism). I didn't mind the mid-series M&M games but they've always been a poor second to Wizardry 6 and 7 in my books, so despite my rampant desire for tile based blobbers (just finished Etrian Odyssey 4... very good) I'm going to let this one go through the likely patching and polishing before dipping my toe in.

Still have a few more levels of Paper Sorceror to go and the small matters of Disgaea D2, Fire Emblem and... I dunno... another billion untouched Steam games first.

*edit* it's just struck me that if they'd Kickstarted this game I'd almost certainly have pledged enough for a full price day 1 copy, but without the Kickstarter temptation I'm going to end up waiting and paying significantly less... maybe that's the real genius of Kickstarter?
    Last edited by Themadcow; 23-01-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    KS typically are at sale price. You pay $10-$20. The game is usually $25-40 on release. I think that is one reason a lot fund KS is that you are pre-ordering at a discounted price.

It was nice for them to have open development and Early Access.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This game looks pretty good to me. The combat looks a lot better than any post-Xeen Might and Magic. I can't really tell if it's as open world as the rest of the series, though.

I need to play this.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    I decided to pick this up on a whim, as I've been itching for a more system-focused RPG lately. I've played about two hours and have liked what I've seen so far.

I don't have any experience with this type of RPG outside of Legend of Grimrock, and this is quite a different beast. It's much more complex, and it took me a solid 30 minutes to design my party. There are four races and three classes which are analogous to Warrior, Rogue (Combat-oriented; no sneaking or lock-picking here), and Mage, but each of those variants upgrades to a different specialization depending on your race. For example, the Dwarven Warrior is mostly just a tank with lots of HP and high defense, while the Elven Warrior is more of an evasive DPS with AoE attacks. That threw me for a loop, as suddenly it wasn't so simple as matching optimal race to optimal class.

It's fairly tough, too, and I think they could actually have dialed it back a little to start with. The first dungeon is filled with poisonous spiders, and I very nearly painted myself into an unwinnable state in there. The leveling system is a little more opaque than it needs to be, but maybe some poking around will clarify things a bit more to me.

Visually, it's not especially impressive. However, much like the recent Dragon's Crown on PS3, they are aiming for charmingly retro, so there's a lot of character to it despite a lot of typical fantasy trappings, and they don't drown you in exposition or world-building in such a way as to make the cliches unbearable. Certainly the game has more personality in fifteen minutes than HoMM V had in dozens of hours. That they also introduce some not-totally-beaten-to-death enemies fairly early on bodes well for variety.

All in all, I'm pleased with the title so far. I shelled out the extra five bucks for the deluxe edition which gets some upcoming DLC as well as a copy of HoMM VI (well, supposedly; I couldn't figure out how to claim it and will poke around some more), but if all you want is a decent little game then $25 doesn't seem unreasonable at all, assuming it's as lengthy as it seems it will be.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    That they also introduce some not-totally-beaten-to-death enemies fairly early on bodes well for variety.
    That's interesting. Like what?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    as well as a copy of HoMM VI
    M&M6 not HoMMVI

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    M&M6 not HoMMVI
    Seriously? Dang. That's...not what I was looking forward to.

@mouton:

I'm currently fighting Naga in a lighthouse. I've certainly seen Naga (or their non-union equivalents) in games before, but they don't seem to crop up very often.

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    I was actually thinking to myself, I have to see what wizardry says about this.
    Ill probably play it anyway, but once i do, i suppose ill know what to look for next in the genre.

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    I'm currently fighting Naga in a lighthouse. I've certainly seen Naga (or their non-union equivalents) in games before, but they don't seem to crop up very often.
    So many Naga in the Guild Wars universe... after 2k hours in GW, I have to say that Naga doesn't sound that unique. ;P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's fairly tough, too, and I think they could actually have dialed it back a little to start with. The first dungeon is filled with poisonous spiders, and I very nearly painted myself into an unwinnable state in there.
    Sounds awesome. Anything like the start of the first Might and Magic? I remember bumping into groups of sprites in Sorpigal repeatedly and wiping every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Sounds awesome. Anything like the start of the first Might and Magic? I remember bumping into groups of sprites in Sorpigal repeatedly and wiping every time.
    I've never played any other Might and Magic RPGs, so I can't say. I certainly haven't seen any sprites. The first town is called Sorpigal, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Let's put it this way:

How many times has your party been wiped?
    Do you have to reload if even a single party member dies?
    How many times have you restarted because you made a horrible character?
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    No 1920x1200 in video options? What. What millenium is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    People interested in the Digital Deluxe Edition may wish to note that the Gamergate version currently (for me at least) claims to be 19.95; that is, the same price as the standard edition.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

You can also use voucher: DE1PDN-CS6BOF-PR9AVM in GMG to reduce price by 30%.

Network Hub
    Worth picking up?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Let's put it this way:

There are some deliciously salty rivers in the Steamforums, because of this. Essentially, people wipe. Lots. And lots. And lots. It also seems to be possible to completely move your party into a dead end if you're not thinking about party setup. I've seen people rage like mad because they found themselves unable to get out of the tutorial dungeon because they can't beat certain enemies or miss important concepts.

Reads like I may just have to buy the game, sounds interesting to me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Let's put it this way:

1) Once so far. It's an open world (well, as open as a tile-based game can be) so you can happen to wander into a place you're not strong enough to fight.

2) No, you can resurrect them at a temple. Also, when a character drops to 0 health they go unconscious, and only die some distance (not sure how far as yet) after that. So far the only time someone has properly died in my game everyone else died soon after.

3) Haven't played long enough yet. But you can't really screw up party creation too much, because the points you distribute at the start are roughly the number of points you get every level, and there's nothing you can do in character creation that you can't do on a standard level-up, so you won't be able to accidentally make a permanently-terrible character, the only horrible characters are going to be ones that you consistently make poor choices for over the course of several levels.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Bought it via GMG (thanks Avish!) and loving it so far. So far it feels like M&M4/5 in "modern" (2005?) graphics. I wasn't too keen on being restricted on only 4 characters and pre-made race/class choices but to be honest, they break up the goblin-warrior, elven-mage blueprint quite nicely.

It seems all characters are viable, but I'm under the impression that mages are a lot stronger in the early game than they used to be. I've re-started with a new, more magic-centered group after cleaning Act 1 once and it feels a lot easier now (playing on Warrior both times). I can't recall being wiped, but there were plenty of fights were I reloaded early because it was obvious I had picked the wrong tactic and wouldn't be able to prevail. Both bosses and groups of cannon-fodder can be dangerous if you're not careful and at least so far it's not the "mash attack to win" combat some of the earlier M&M used to be. As a pleasant surprise Gold isn't a non-issue (thanks to the increased prices on Warrior) and I find myself carefully selecting which spells to buy.

I've also come across puzzles & riddles, small references to earlier titles (e.g. the "being hit by poison" sound is the spider sound from M&M 6) and obelisks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Wait, they actually didn't screw this up? Holy crap, that's awesome!