Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

How to Install Unreal Tournament on Windows XP SP2 Machine?

Recently I found a disc of Unreal Tournament (not GOTY edition) and want to play it on my Dell Dimension 5150, but run into trouble. Tried to run setup in and out of Wins 98 compatibility mode, but with no luck. After installation, the game cannot launch. The screen just kept flicking and then hanged. Fortunately, I could force quit the program and return to desktop. The hardware spec is as the following:

CPU: Intel Pentium D 820
    Ram: 1 GB
    GPU: ATI X300SE 128MB (not common among DIY community, I guess this is for factory assembled PC)

I think the PC is powerful enough to handle the game. There should be some setting problem that I am unware of.

Any suggestion is appreciated, many thanks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    If you've got it installed but can't play it, it's probably a problem with the game's graphic renderer. You can find alternative renderers for UT. Try looking here (I think I used the OpenGL renderer, but I'm not sure if I used the one from there; it was quite a while ago).
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Obscure Node
    Make sure you install the latest patch for UT; after that, it should run fine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    UT installs and plays fine on XP, so that isn't the problem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks a lot, mates. With the 4.36 patch and the new renderer the game now works like charm.

I have Unreal Tournament 3, but for unknown reason this original one is much more enjoyable. Old good days I missed.