Activated Node

Best Superhero? [for a baby]

So, who is the best superhero?

Silly question, obviously, but: We're decorating our son's nursery and amongst the pictures on the wall I figure I can squeeze a superhero in there. This will be his "first" superhero. He will have matching toys and outfits. Question is: Which one?

Batman is obviously cool, but baby batman outfits usually look rubbish as his outfits in his cooler incarnations are quite complex. Flash has nice simple costume but is a bit rubbish.

So, I'm looking for a hero who is cooler than The Flash, but easier to dress as than Batman. Thor is one option, any other suggestions?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    HE-BROOO

... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    What the fuck did I just watch?!
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    You just experienced born of HE-BROO.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergates View Post
    as his outfits in his cooler incarnations are quite complex.
    Nonsense. 1960s Batman is the best Batman.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    He is. When I was a kid I wanted a Batman costume for carnival, but my parents waited too long to bring me to the shops and none of the ones they had fit me (this is the lie I believed at the time). I ended up going as a pirate.

I carried this burden into adulthood, and now I hate costuming of any kind. Also I have become a pirate.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Why does it have to be a superhero, why not a video game hero like Link? I think Link would be an awesome choice or maybe Super Mario.
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Green Lantern is a pretty cool and for the most part child friendly super hero as long as he never finds out about women in fridge, but then all superheros have some sort of dark storyline or characterization. A space cop who uses green energy which harnesses willpower to construct whatever he wants. Also the entire colour range of Lanterns is pretty cool and could possibly end up teaching him more than Superman or Batman ever could.

Just out of interest, why not just pick one of your or the mothers favourites?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Inferno Cop

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by NecroKnight View Post
    Why does it have to be a superhero, why not a video game hero like Link? I think Link would be an awesome choice or maybe Super Mario.
    I'm including video game heros under the broad umbrella of superheros, though my partner isn't really into gaming do probably only the well known ones. Link is definately an option though.

As for one of my or her favourates - we're both fickle (or egalitarian) and don't really have favourates as such. Not too bothered about being "child-friendly" either, within reason. So a bit of darkess - no problem. The Boys - errr...maybe not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Superman is generic enough to be a hit with little children. Then again you risk your child growing up to be a Superman fanboy :s
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    It's not worth it.

I'd still suggest GL, if only because you'll be able to get everything you want (toys, costumes, cartoons etc) but mostly because he's actually pretty bad ass. And the more I think about it the better he is for kids.

Superman can just do everything because he's an alien. Batman can do almost everything because he has a gadget for everything. Lantern uses his willpower and imagination to create constructs to help win his battles.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I don't know what criteria you're using to define "cool" but Spider-Man seems like an obvious choice, and not only because I had him on my wall when I was a nipper.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Anpanman. He saves people by letting them eat bits of his head. And if he gets powered down he just needs someone to bake him a new head.

Actually, as a relatively new father, it's weird how it alters your viewpoint on superheros.
    Pretty much every superhero solves every problem by hitting people. As a parent that's not really what you want to teach your 2 year old.
    Even a lot of the 'kids' superheroes tend to solve things by hitting people (even if it is in a very non-violent way).

I'd go with Dangermouse or Superted or Inspector Gadget. Though my memory is fuzzy on whether they solved things with punching or not.

Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    I'd go with Dangermouse or Superted or Inspector Gadget. Though my memory is fuzzy on whether they solved things with punching or not.
    If memory serves Dangermouse solved things by saying "Crikey" a lot.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Captain Planet - he's a hero and rumour has it he's gonna take pollution down to zero.

Also one of his human sidekicks uses the power of HEART to defeat evil.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter